When did you first start to dislike Marrone?

Marrone held petty grudges against players. The 'innovation' we were told about what simply vapor. He is an @$$hºle.- The Captain Queeg of coaching.

I didn't trust the guy from day one.

Nice Caine Mutiny reference.

I urge anyone reading this who hasn't read the book or seen the movie to do both.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The front office secretary gave him the "eye" in the introduction to the facilities video.....

That is when I knew

This is as opposed to Rex Ryan.....who got the immediate stamp of approval from the front office secretary

There are entire teaching courses that deal with the HR of being a school teacher and administrator. Rule #1, make quick allies of the secretary and janitor. No matter what you do, they are your go-to.

I was always a bit underwhelmed by the guy. For all the hype, he struck me as a bit of an amateur. When I read that he changed the way of life at Syracuse, making them toe the line and wear suits, I thought whatever.

His first year? 6 wins? Not impressed.

But when he was at camp and making players run laps, yelling at Hughes, being an a-hole....didn't care for it. When I heard about him yelling at the other Doug in front of the team? That's when I disliked the guy. When he took it public.

I'm glad he's gone. Prima donna had to go.

Really? He led you to 9 wins including success vs AFC East rivals. And you didn't like him becuase he was too hard on millionaires?

Well, I will say this. If you want a coach who won't be hard on players, you got your man.

I started in his first game when we got the ball, were beating the pats by 2, and went into the no huddle with 4 mins left in the game.

First game? Whoa.

Do any of you Bills fans, who are so glad to see Marrone gone, have any posts on here where you can prove you wanted him gone.... before he suddenly skipped out of town?

It seems like this is revisionist history. I'm not saying he was wildly popular, but I'm confident that at 9-7 you all felt you were going the right direction.

First game? Whoa.

Do any of you Bills fans, who are so glad to see Marrone gone, have any posts on here where you can prove you wanted him gone.... before he suddenly skipped out of town?

It seems like this is revisionist history. I'm not saying he was wildly popular, but I'm confident that at 9-7 you all felt you were going the right direction.

Jets fan, it was when I started to dislike him. Since I first posted this, I've grown to really dislike him. I can dislike a coach and still love my team. It's not uncommon.

Jets fan, it was when I started to dislike him. Since I first posted this, I've grown to really dislike him. I can dislike a coach and still love my team. It's not uncommon.

Dude, I hated Rex, and loved my team. I don't question your love for the Bills.

But it took me a couple of years to start disliking him. Not the first damn game LOL.

Why would anyone hate him? He exercised an option clause in his contract. That's his prerogative. If a player had an option clause and he wanted to exercise it then why be angry about it? If a front office staff person was in a position to leave this franchise for another franchise and the contract allowed for it then what is wrong with that? If an OC/DC had a contract that allowed for the individual to leave for another job then what is wrong with that?

Doug Marrone and the front office were not in sync. That was abundantly obvious. Not only did they not agree on personnel issues but it seemed that each side had different philosophies toward building a roster. Needless to say there were also personal conflicts that couldn't be reconciled. When a HC or a GM are in a situation that can't be accommodated then the best thing to do (right thing to do) is for one of the parties to leave. DM was in that position and he decided to exercise that option. Not only was it the right thing to do but it was the ethical thing to do. Why stay in a situation that you find untenable? There is nothing unusual in the business world about exiting such a mismatched situation.

The majority of postings indicate that DM did a poor job. That's not how I see it. He got a very flawed roster (especially the offense) and it played up to its potential. He was coaching a .500 team and it played up to its level. He coached a team that had the worst OL in the league and arguably the worst starting qb in the league. He ended his tenure with a 9-7 record. What's to complain about?

Doug Marrone is not a likeable person. He is arrogant, overbearing and dismissive. So what! During his short stint his teams always played hard for him. What more do you want?

DM is a meat and potatoes type of coach who is not an innovator. He wasn't much of a creative coach before he came to Buffalo. He certainly wasn't hired for his brilliant schemes. For those who are harshly criticizing Marrone you need to be reminded that over the past couple of years his record was not only better than the braggadocio Ryan but that head to head he thoroughly outperformed the fired HC from NY.

Edited by JohnC

Why would anyone hate him? He exercised an option clause in his contract. That's his prerogative. If a player had an option clause and he wanted to exercise it then why be angry about it? If a front office staff person was in a position to leave this franchise for another franchise and the contract allowed for it then what is wrong with that? If an OC/DC had a contract that allowed for the individual to leave for another job then what is wrong with that?

Doug Marrone and the front office were not in sync. That was abundantly obvious. Not only did they not agree on personnel issues but it seemed that each side had different philosophies toward building a roster. Needless to say there were also personal conflicts that couldn't be reconciled. When a HC or a GM are in a situation that can't be accommodated then the best thing to do (right thing to do) is for one of the parties to leave. DM was in that position and he decided to exercise that option. Not only was it the right thing to do but it was the ethical thing to do. Why stay in a situation that you find untenable? There is nothing unusual in the business world about exiting such a mismatched situation.

The majority of postings indicate that DM did a poor job. That's not how I see it. He got a very flawed roster (especially the offense) and it played up to its potential. He was coaching a .500 team and it played up to its level. He coached a team that had the worst OL in the league and arguably the worst starting qb in the league. He ended his tenure with a 9-7 record. What's to complain about?

Doug Marrone is not a likeable person. He is arrogant, overbearing and dismissive. So what! During his short stint his teams always played hard for him. What more do you want?

DM is a meat and potatoes type of coach who is not an innovator. He wasn't much of a creative coach before he came to Buffalo. He certainly wasn't hired for his brilliant schemes. For those who are harshly criticizing Marrone you need to be reminded that over the past couple of years his record was not only better than the braggadocio Ryan but that head to head he thoroughly outperformed the fired HC from NY.

He's gutless, that's why I hate him. I wanted him fired after the 2nd Miami game this past season. As the season progressed, I thought maybe we should give him another year if he fired Hackett. He made life easy by opting out. Good luck in jax doggie. Good riddance.

First game? Whoa.

He was pretty disliked. Allegedly the straw that broke his back was he thought the fans owed him more.

Most, myself included, hoped for the best but many of us also long suspected it may not be coming with marrone

Edited by NoSaint

For me, the jury was always out on Marrone. I wanted to like him, but could just never get to that point. I will give him some credit though...over these past 15 miserable seasons, the cliché applied to pretty much every Bills coach along the way was..."they may not have won a lot of games, but this team never quit on their coach". I always thought that was a bunch of crap...this season was the first time I felt like, maybe, just maybe the Bills weren't quitting on their coach....so then he turns around and quits on them..go figure!

I will say, I just hated listening to his press conferences...he never made a lot of sense during his first season, just talking without saying anything...I could live with that..but this season, he was just defensive all the time, and just always struck me as a joyless prick.

Edited by Buftex

When he put Woods in his doghouse this last season. IMO, Woods is the best receiver on this team. maybe sammy toughens up but until then Woods has a burning desire to be good. I don't attribute it to Dougy and whatever mindgames he was trying to play this last training camp. I kinda think Woods spoke his mind to Doug and Mr. Control freak didn't like it. A guess but I bet I'm on to something.

I largely gave Marrone a pass for last year and only really started to worry about him this year when our offense was stagnant. Marrone's supposed to be a proven OC and OL coach and yet we stunk like a rotting camel corpse in the desert with a belly full of poop in the areas he was supposed to excel at.

I was neither happy nor sad when he quit - only surprised. But as more stories came out, the more I started to realize his departure was a good thing.

And now looking at the staff Rex has put together, I really think the Bills are in better hands.

I know a lot of folks hated the Marrone hiring from the beginning and it seems events have proven them right.