Does Terry Pegula Have A Clear Strategic Plan?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's too early to answer that question, but everyone should be paying attention to it, as we will start gathering evidence pretty soon.

He has been handed his first big task. How it works out will be the difference between having a new, big-time owner, or just the Same Ol Bills.

I'm asking the question, not stating it as a fact or even an opinion. But right now, here is what we know:

Marrone chose to walk away and pocket some cash instead of working for Pegula.

Polian talked to Pegula about serving as a consultant, and said "no thank you" - again, all he was going to do was consult, and something turned him off about the situation.

Pat Lafontaine stormed out of the Sabres' organization because something about the management structure drove him mad.

Right now, there does not appear to have been any coherent plan in place for the beginning of the NFL offseason - Pegula's first as team owner. He's had several months to figure out what he wanted to do, yet it seems like he's in reactive mode to the events unfolding in front of him. Maybe there's a plan and we're not privy to it, I really don't know. But I'm starting to wonder if this guy knows how to run a sports franchise. Something about him seems to be radioactive.

Again, I'm just asking the question. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I'm not sure we know enough of the circumstances involved but your observations do indeed beg the question.

You do know that the Sabres deliberately dismantled the team for prospects and draft picks, right? Right now their farm system is considered the strongest in the NHL.

I do. That's why I said what I did about if the prospects develop along with the HC they could bounce back in 3-4 years.

But it's not like the Sabres need 1 or 2 of their prospects to develop, they need a dozen or more. They also need some of the young players on the main team to continue develop as well such as Girgensons, Zadorov, and Ristolainen.

Edited by CodeMonkey

lol Lafonatine tried to power play Terry

People have this image of Pegula as a somewhat goofy pushover type who cries all the time.

How did he make 4-5 billion dollars from almost nothing?

Luck and fracking and the high cost of gas.

Not taking anything away from him but its not like he innovated anything.

I do. That's why I said what I did about if the prospects develop along with the HC they could bounce back in 3-4 years.

But it's not like the Sabres need 1 or 2 of their prospects to develop, they need a dozen or more. They also need some of the young players on the main team to continue develop as well such as Girgensons, Zadorov, and Ristolainen.

You can bet, when they feel they (the Sabres) are ready to take the next step in their rebuild, the roster will be filled out with vets. They will likely being dealing some of their young talent for vetran leaders...they aren't there yet.

Nope. We have a new level of retardation. You don't luck your way into becoming a !@#$ing billionaire. Jesus Christ.

Most fortunes, as well as winning teams, are created with a great amount of luck.

Im not calling him incompetent. Yet.

But I am closely watching how he handles this situation (while hoping for the best).

Edited by DrDareustein

These aren't the team executives you're looking for. Doug can go about his business.

I'll wager that Polian and Pegula had enough meaningful discussions that Polian could well make up his own mind about Pegula's "competency."

GO BILLS!!!

Nope. We have a new level of retardation. You don't luck your way into becoming a !@#$ing billionaire. Jesus Christ.

It's amazing, isn't it?

Terry is a tough SOB, all the sobbing aside. You do NOT want to go in against him.

He got Harbor Center built and is making Buffalo, NY a globally known hockey city.

You don't make 5 billion !@#$ing dollars by being !@#$ing incompetent. This is really a new level of mental retardation for the city of Buffalo.

I consider myself very competent in what I do for a living. But I strongly suspect as an owner of a NHL or NFL franchise I tried to be directly involved I would be incompetent. Because you are good at one thing does not mean you are good at something else completely unrelated. But like I said, far too early to make that judgement at this point one way or the other.