Does Terry Pegula Have A Clear Strategic Plan?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And the oldest one is 20. 20!! We are talking a generation of stability.

GO BILLS!!!

There are so many amazing things happening with the Sabres AND hockey in Buffalo that we are in for a lot of fun in the near future when it all starts to pay dividends.

Terry and his team of people with the Sabres are planting seeds. You don't walk by a garden and laugh because the plants are barely sprouted.

Zadarov, Zemgus and Risto alone are worth it all. Love those guys.

Yeah those 3 have a lot of potential to be sure. Just look how it worked out for the lightning line of 2nd year NHL players that made the Sabres look silly last night as an example. I wish all three of those guys (particularly the 2 defensemen) had been given time in the development leagues though.

Let's give him a little time. Maybe an offseason of football. He's only had the team 3 months. All of this crap happening in the last 4 days (Orton, Marrone, and Polian) may actually be steps in the right direction for the Bills.

Yeah those 3 have a lot of potential to be sure. Just look how it worked out for the lightning line of 2nd year NHL players that made the Sabres look silly last night as an example. I wish all three of those guys (particularly the 2 defensemen) had been given time in the development leagues though.

They're bona fide NHL guys right now, with few real weaknesses. Normally I would agree with you. Grigs and Reinhart surely need it. But these guys are ridiculous already. Zadarov is 19.

There are so many amazing things happening with the Sabres AND hockey in Buffalo that we are in for a lot of fun in the near future when it all starts to pay dividends.

Terry and his team of people with the Sabres are planting seeds. You don't walk by a garden and laugh because the plants are barely sprouted.

And for all the good they've brought to the hockey team, etc., it is transcended by the Pegulas' genuine and enduring commitment to a renaissance in Buffalo. That is more important than any Stanley Cups of Super Bowl wins.

GO BILLS!!!

And for all the good they've brought to the hockey team, etc., it is transcended by the Pegulas' genuine and enduring commitment to a renaissance in Buffalo. That is more important than any Stanley Cups of Super Bowl wins.

GO BILLS!!!

Yup!

There will be some squealing and acrimony as the last vestiges of the old regime are shown the door or have their roles reduced but once we get through that the Pegulas will hire the best people for the jobs (for real, not just PR) and we'll be in a good spot with the Bills too

They're bona fide NHL guys right now, with few real weaknesses. Normally I would agree with you. Grigs and Reinhart surely need it. But these guys are ridiculous already. Zadarov is 19.

I disagree about any of them being NHL ready right now (all star game balloting aside ;) ). Just watch when they play a talented team like last night. Deer in the headlights.

I fully expect all 3 to be good to very good, but in my opinion not now. Best on the Sabres, but that is saying nothing.

Edited by CodeMonkey

We may be revisiting the Polian possibility Feb. 1st.

Pegula took over an organization that was a mess. The talent wasn't bad but organization has been awful. Back in August I would have said Marrone, Russ and Whaley were all at least 50% chance to be fired at seasons end. Another missed playoff season didn't change that much, IMO.

Polian was terrible with the media in Buffalo. Remember "If you don't like it, get outta' town!" Good luck pulling that kind of BS with the media in NY/Phila or Boston.

I wonder if TG didn't just jab at the reason why Polian turned down Pegula by using Marrone to try to flesh out the truth. It could possibly screw up Polian's HOF chances this year by making it look like he is actually going to be active again and has a backdoor deal. Payback can be a B word. :lol:

I really don't want Polian back though. He's washed up.

I disagree about any of them being NHL ready right now (all star game balloting aside ;) ). Just watch when they play a talented team like last night. Deer in the headlights.

I fully expect all 3 to be good to very good, but in my opinion not now. Best on the Sabres, but that is saying nothing.

They're NHL ready--- unfortunately, they comprise a large swath of the active roster. Their relative inexperience will be exposed when such a large group of skaters are playing heavy minutes every night.

Incompetent at running a fracking/gas business, No

Incompetent at running a sports franchise, possibly.

It's funny how it's never his fault though. So far he has had 2 employees abruptly leave, another well respected person tell him no thanks to helping

LaFontaine pulled the same crap with the Islanders. It's a pattern.

Marrone was miserable here.

Polian didn't want to work at age 72.

It's pretty simple.

Pegula took over an organization that was a mess. The talent wasn't bad but organization has been awful. Back in August I would have said Marrone, Russ and Whaley were all at least 50% chance to be fired at seasons end. Another missed playoff season didn't change that much, IMO.

Polian was terrible with the media in Buffalo. Remember "If you don't like it, get outta' town!" Good luck pulling that kind of BS with the media in NY/Phila or Boston.

I wonder if TG didn't just jab at the reason why Polian turned down Pegula by using Marrone to try to flesh out the truth. It could possibly screw up Polian's HOF chances this year by making it look like he is actually going to be active again and has a backdoor deal. Payback can be a B word. :lol:

I really don't want Polian back though. He's washed up.

All may be true. I was ambivalent about Polian returning, and I was ambivalent about Lafontaine returning. The thing is, Pegula wanted to hire both guys, and both guys said no (Pat said yes, then flipped out). And I also have to believe that Pegula didn't want Marrone to leave. So that's three guys Pegula wanted around, who declined. Maybe all three are just difficult personalities - quite possibly that's the case. And maybe we're better off without any of them. But the fact is, Pegula is the one who couldn't close the deal with any of them, for whatever reason. I'm hoping it's not a harbinger of something deeper, but I think it's ok to ask the question.

They're NHL ready--- unfortunately, they comprise a large swath of the active roster. Their relative inexperience will be exposed when such a large group of skaters are playing heavy minutes every night.

We're getting away from the topic and sport, obviously, but the minutes they are playing make it all the more apparent how ready they are. They shouldn't be getting nearly those minutes. All the big hits aside, I'm more impressed by Zadarov's passing than anything else. Zemgus would be a valuable player on any team in the league right now.

All may be true. I was ambivalent about Polian returning, and I was ambivalent about Lafontaine returning. The thing is, Pegula wanted to hire both guys, and both guys said no (Pat said yes, then flipped out). And I also have to believe that Pegula didn't want Marrone to leave. So that's three guys Pegula wanted around, who declined. Maybe all three are just difficult personalities - quite possibly that's the case. And maybe we're better off without any of them. But the fact is, Pegula is the one who couldn't close the deal with any of them, for whatever reason. I'm hoping it's not a harbinger of something deeper, but I think it's ok to ask the question.

Why do you think Pegula didn't want Marrone to leave? I think this proves that he did. Maybe he would have let him coach one more year to see one way or the other, but if he wanted him to stay, he would have gave extensions to his assistants as he asked, or he would have paid him more. I guarantee that Marrone demanded more power and Pegula said no chance.

We're getting away from the topic and sport, obviously, but the minutes they are playing make it all the more apparent how ready they are. They shouldn't be getting nearly those minutes. All the big hits aside, I'm more impressed by Zadarov's passing than anything else. Zemgus would be a valuable player on any team in the league right now.

Why do you think Pegula didn't want Marrone to leave? I think this proves that he did. Maybe he would have let him coach one more year to see one way or the other, but if he wanted him to stay, he would have gave extensions to his assistants as he asked, or he would have paid him more. I guarantee that Marrone demanded more power and Pegula said no chance.

Because if he had wanted him to leave, he would've been more actively looking for a replacement before this week. Who knows, maybe that's exactly what he was up to and we'll find out soon enough at Cowher's welcome press conference.