Does Terry Pegula Have A Clear Strategic Plan?

I'm just asking the question. It would be nice to hear what the plan is. The clock is ticking.

I think the last thing an owner should ever do is make a public statement of what his strategy for the franchise is going to be beyond the typical banal and meaningless stuff owners of franchises always say. The franchise is in competition for coaching talent, business talent and player talent against all the other franchises. A good way to lose that competition is to publicly burble your strategy in the same way you would lose at poker if you made a habit of showing your cards to the other players.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the last thing an owner should ever do is make a public statement of what his strategy for the franchise is going to be beyond the typical banal and meaningless stuff owners of franchises always say. The franchise is in competition for coaching talent, business talent and player talent against all the other franchises. A good way to lose that competition is to publicly burble your strategy in the same way you would lose at poker if you made a habit of showing your cards to the other players.

It's a simple statement: "We've planned for this contingency, and while we're disappointed that Coach Marrone chose to resign rather than see this to the finish, we have a strong team in place led by Doug Whaley and we're already well underway with finding a new coach who will serve us for the long term and will restore this franchise to the heights the fans are used to." Something like that. You don't have to tell the fans the strategy, but, I can tell you having served on several boards of directors, it's always better to be proactive and get your statement out in front of these types of events, rather than allow the impression to develop that you're on your heels. Your stakeholders - meaning your customers, employees, and to a certain extent the media (who funnel info to your stakeholders) need to be reassured that the organization is stable and has a clear strategic direction. Especially under new ownership/leadership, and even more especially in times of turmoil, like when your QB and coach and a former legendary GM all walk out on the organization in a three-day period.