Has Marrone's credibility as a Head Coach taken a hit?

gjv001

The only people, players or otherwise, that will hold this against him are in Buffalo.

That being said, I wonder if he hasn't hurt his career jumping ship so soon? It seems to me that Marrone was developing into a decent NFL HC. At the very least, I would say that he hasn't reached his ceiling. And, others around the league clearly view him as the real deal. But, how easy will a transition to a new team be? With the exception of our O-line, and QB, you can't sat that he didn't have talent to work with, and the results bear that out. I understand the conflict that was occurring, and why he grabbed the option, in its narrow window. But, I still wonder if he wouldn't have had better success next season on Buffalo, than he will in a different town?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does Marrone speak to "team first", "unselfish sacrifice for the team", " play for each other", etc,etc, etc, all the things head coaches try to instill into their players. Will his new players find him credible when he speaks to those issues?

I say no.

But information like that transmitted to Jets fans in that scathing article in NYDN won't help him win his new fanbase over.

The information age isn't as kind as it once was to myths and legends like the story of how Marrone "turned around the culture" of the Buffalo Bills.

Bill Belichick quit on the Jets after one day.

Nick Saban quit on Michigan State, then LSU, then the Dolphins.

The point is, you can go back on your word, be world class dink, and still be a good coach. Marrone so far has proven to be the first two, it remains to be seen if he is the third.

Bill Belichick quit on the Jets after one day.

Nick Saban quit on Michigan State, then LSU, then the Dolphins.

The point is, you can go back on your word, be world class dink, and still be a good coach. Marrone so far has proven to be the first two, it remains to be seen if he is the third.

Belichick, Saban and Marrone walk into a bar. There has to be a joke there...

Marrone did what he had the right to do. However, he opted out after the Pegula's chose to not give him what he wanted. It's not like he opted out on day 1. He's an average coach who has done some good things, but more baffling things during his Buffalo tenure. We can do better.

That is more than likely going to prove difficult unfortunately.

He quit to go coach a big name franchise like SF or CHI.

He will get a job. No one will blame him for leaving the Bills.

The whole thing is very obvious.

Has he gotten an interview with SF or CHI? I hadn't heard.

"Sources" have quoted him as having interest from the Falcons and Bears but unlike others I haven't heard anything definite about an interview scheduled.

Has he gotten an interview with SF or CHI? I hadn't heard.

"Sources" have quoted him as having interest from the Falcons and Bears but unlike others I haven't heard anything definite about an interview scheduled.

He interviewed with Jets and Falcons so far. I heard the Bears had interest but they want to hire a GM first, so not sure when that interview would take place.

The players hardly seem heartbroken with this departure. They got tired of being flattened by the bus.

Since this out clause was only three days after the season during which the owner dies, maybe it wasn't so dumb. If Marrone was worth keeping, they would have kept him. He basically got let go by the Buffalo Bills. They did not capitulate to his demands.

He has no class. I hope the Jets get him. I can't see him being hired in Chicago. The fans and media would have him on suicide row before the season starts. They're more brutal than NY fans.

Atlanta? Seems to me they're going after somebody who has proven something. San Fran? No way.

How does Marrone speak to "team first", "unselfish sacrifice for the team", " play for each other", etc,etc, etc, all the things head coaches try to instill into their players. Will his new players find him credible when he speaks to those issues?

An excellent question!

I was just Googling around and found this gem of an article...it's a real hoot!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--bills-vow-doug-marrone-will-make-them-winners-200622445.html

"I approach it as I like the challenges," he continued. "I welcome the adversity. I like to deal with issues quickly and I like to be straight. I think sometimes conflict is not a bad word. Getting angry is not bad. Suppressing those things, that can get you in trouble."

I'm a fan of Brandon's, but the folks who want him gone will find plenty of fodder here as well...