Has Marrone's credibility as a Head Coach taken a hit?

gjv001

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thread wasn't about being pissed, it was about his credibility as a HC. He's starting to develop a pattern of cutting out early. There's a reason companies are cautious about applicants who bounce from company to company every year or two.

It's his decision if he wants to be an opportunist, but if you know you're dealing with someone who's only out for #1 with no sense of loyalty, that knowledge will probably factor in to how/If you do business with them.

Like every team who fires coaches/players before their contracts are up? I am certainly no GM or owner, but I am involved frequently in hire/fire decisions. And yes, seeing a job jumper in the real world does raise a red flag. But in the high stakes world of NFL head coaches I can't imagine looking poorly on Marrone for taking those opt-out conditions. I would look poorly on the Bills FO for agreeing to them however.

Right, but when someone exercises their right in a contract, it does not impugn their character or trustworthiness.

It does only if you are thinking with your heart and not your head.

Edited by CodeMonkey

No. It can't.

I'm sure you can think of situations where it does. I have friends who went into business together and ultimately exercised buy out options they had agreed to. Exercising those options wasn't what impugned their characters, it was how they went about it.

If someone misrepresents their position to me it compromises their credibility with me even if they didn't outright lie or violate the agreement.

Edited by Rob's House

He could have done it with dignity and at least given his players a heads up. They wouldnt have squealed to management or the media. Instead he did it like a fifeteen year old girl breaking up with her boyfriend over social media.

I'm sure you can think of situations where it does. I have friends who went into business together and ultimately exercised buy out options they had agreed to. Exercising those options wasn't what impugned their characters, it was how they went about it.

If someone misrepresents their position to me it compromises their credibility with me even if they didn't outright lie or violate the agreement.

As a fan, you may feel you've been misrepresented, but we have no idea how this went down with Pegula. Marrone could have been open and honest with him.

Like it or not, the fans don't matter in the slightest in this situation.

As a fan, you may feel you've been misrepresented, but we have no idea how this went down with Pegula. Marrone could have been open and honest with him.

Like it or not, the fans don't matter in the slightest in this situation.

Never said they did. You're twisting this discussion away from what it was and I'm going to stop now before I get pissed off.

Syracuse fans speak about how average a coach he was and same thing happened there as with the Bills, outside media started talking about him like he was the second coming of Vince Lombardi.His record was 15-17 enough said! best wishes with your next scam job Marrone.

He did what most players would have done!

Then that's pretty stupid.

Players have to think in terms of the "here and now" because for them, the clock is always ticking and an injury can happen at any time.

On the other hand, coaching is a people business. It's about the relationships you develop in the 'fraternity' and the ability to convince positional guys and coordinators to work for you. Or earn the trust of front office guys with long memories. Or all the other behind-the-scenes types that make up the NFL, which is in many ways a closed society.

If his Buffalo staff gets shitcanned, that will "leave a mark" on Marrone's ability to get guys to work for him. He'll always be crippled unless he gets extremely lucky in the next year or two and catches lightning in a bottle...

Edited by Lurker

Rob why don't you give some examples where opting out destroyed the credibility of a player or coach?

There are thousands of example where it did not destroy their credibility, so surely you can easily rattle off a dozen examples where it did.

I'm going to leave you to play with that straw man all by yourself.

Character and trustworthiness? He didn't hold out. He simply exercised his contractual option, one that Whaley and Brandon gave him.

If you want to be pissed at someone, be pissed at Brandon and Whaley for giving contractual terms that made it crazy for the coach to stay with the Bills to a mediocre HC.

Yep, This. Though in Brandon/Whaley's defense, the ownership situation may have made it challenging to recruit and they may have felt they needed it to "sweeten the pot"

The one coach who I despised for years and still do was Pat Riley. He left the Knicks because he was due a bonus one year July 1st and they only sent him the money on July 3rd. This was after he had traded like the next three years draft picks away to try and win now at all costs. Once that chance passed, he took the tow days late on the money as his golden parachute to void the contract.

I was a Knick's fan and from that day forward hoped Riley never won another game in his life and still do.

Brandon granted this clause representing RW's interest. From RW's staind point a great deal to offer as didn't/wouldn't cost RW a dime. Did TP reduce his offer for the team because of this close highly doubtful.

Character and trustworthiness? He didn't hold out. He simply exercised his contractual option, one that Whaley and Brandon gave him.

If you want to be pissed at someone, be pissed at Brandon and Whaley for giving contractual terms that made it crazy for the coach to stay with the Bills to a mediocre HC.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

Marrone did what he had the right to do. However, he opted out after the Pegula's chose to not give him what he wanted. It's not like he opted out on day 1. He's an average coach who has done some good things, but more baffling things during his Buffalo tenure. We can do better.

It really depends on his reasons if/when someone asks him. If he has clear cut reasons for leaving, then he might actually be admired for leaving a situation. If his reasons are completely nonsensical or based purely on greed, then an employer might be wise to have reservations.

Nothing new though. The same applies universally.

99% of players are selfish and only look out for themselves.

100% of team are selfish and don't think twice about cutting players.

marrone had a legit clause that protected him from the uncertainty of new ownership.

he will have zero problems getting another gig in either the pro's or college.