Has Marrone's credibility as a Head Coach taken a hit?

gjv001

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just Googling around and found this gem of an article...it's a real hoot!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--bills-vow-doug-marrone-will-make-them-winners-200622445.html

"I approach it as I like the challenges," he continued. "I welcome the adversity. I like to deal with issues quickly and I like to be straight. I think sometimes conflict is not a bad word. Getting angry is not bad. Suppressing those things, that can get you in trouble."

I'm a fan of Brandon's, but the folks who want him gone will find plenty of fodder here as well...

Great stuff. Thanks, Lurker. After people read it, look at the exact words of the quotes from each of the people involved, Marrone, Brandon and Whaley. They are very telling and I think perfectly reflect the kind of people they are.

Another beaut:

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/sports/article_7ef6cace-598b-11e2-a15d-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=print

"He said it without sounding a bit phony and with an impressive degree of sincerity..." :lol:

Even better:

"He added, “I’m big on talking to the players first and I don’t want to talk to the players on our team through the media. I want to make sure that we’re sitting there in a room, as a team, and explaining to them exactly what our expectations are. I’m looking forward to that and I think that’s important."

Should have added, "...then again, having the PR staff forward a mass e-mail to the team works well, too..."

Edited by Lurker

Another beaut:

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/sports/article_7ef6cace-598b-11e2-a15d-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=print

"He said it without sounding a bit phony and with an impressive degree of sincerity..." :lol:

Even better:

"He added, “I’m big on talking to the players first and I don’t want to talk to the players on our team through the media. I want to make sure that we’re sitting there in a room, as a team, and explaining to them exactly what our expectations are. I’m looking forward to that and I think that’s important."

Should have added, "...then again, having the PR staff forward a mass e-mail to the team works well, too..."

:lol: You can't make this stuff up.

I am convinced that Brandon and crew did not do their due diligence before hiring Marrone. They didn't dig deep enough to discover what kind of character Marrone really had. They began to realize what kind of character he really had when they saw how he treated players and staff at one bills drive. They saw it when he got into the argument in practice that Whaley had to break up. And then they finally saw it again when Marrone decided to quit on his staff, his team and the front office who strongly backed him.

He screwed his team, his assistants and the guys who gave him his first shot as a head coach in the NFL.

His credibility is surely tarnished. Reputation means a lot. Marrone's reputation sucks. He has not proven himself to be a consistent winner nor a good coach. (sounds glug, glug, glug) "Hey career! Is that you going down the drain?"

Maybe he can get a job manufacturing douches. He can just model them after himself.

What NFL owner or GM in their right mind would want that piece of crap offense for their football team? They would be nuts. Hey Marrone...you're number one baby! (whipping the bird)

Wow.

I know eh?

CBF

Seriously. This really is one of most damning articles yet. Here's a link to another article with a bit more information: http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/01/one_of_doug_marrones_former_assistants_rips_jets_head_coaching_candidate_on_the_record.html

I'm throwing out two of the 'big quotes' below so folks realize what he said. Granted, the two coaches 'obviously' didn't have a great end to their working relationship and that needs to be considered. Either way...this is the most 'personal' of any criticism I've read re: Marrone. CBF...I thought, like you, that this should be a new thread. To me...it's that big of a deal. Since it's here, I'll add the quotes so people skimming the thread get a sense of how bad he's calling Marrone out.

From the article---- "First of all, you guys know, I've told you guys this all along, that when he takes a job, he already has his plan in place for his next job. Let me say this to you: I've said this before -- self-centered, selfish, greedy. He'll get a job because there's not enough qualified people with head coaching experience to get these jobs. There's about nine or 10 guys out there that should be getting these jobs, and you're reshuffling an egomaniac, less-than-.500 coach. He has the greatest agent on the face of the Earth (Jimmy Sexton). He's got it going. The agent's got it going. Somebody's going to hire him. What did W.C. Fields (say)? There's a sucker born every minute. Am I not mistaken?

"One of the things I really feel sorry for is the assistant coaches at the Buffalo Bills. Here's guys that bust their ass every single day, morning, noon and night. They probably got verbally abused many times throughout the course of the year. And then you've got a head coach that stands up there and preaches about family this and family that. There's only one family he cares about, and that's not the assistant coaches. It's just devastating. I feel so bad for those guys. Don't get me going. It's an embarrassment. I mean, it really is. It's self-centered, it's selfish and it's greed, OK? I'm saying it, because that's what it's always been, and it's a shame. The guy's beautiful. He's beautiful."

Edited by BillsFanM.D.

In some ways it feels like piling on but seriously have we ever seen a coach vilified in the media or by former co workers like this guy has? He must have really treated people poorly along the way.

Btw I have seen no one defend him.... except mike Tirico on the Lupica show.

In some ways it feels like piling on but seriously have we ever seen a coach vilified in the media or by former co workers like this guy has? He must have really treated people poorly along the way.

The best part is how violently pissed he is right now, thinking he's been wronged and vilified, and how truly bad he wants to beat the schitt out of people who are calling him an egotistical bully.

He interviewed with Jets and Falcons so far. I heard the Bears had interest but they want to hire a GM first, so not sure when that interview would take place.

OK, I searched again and found some "Falcons have interviewed..." along with a report that in the Jets interview Marrone "failed to close the deal"

See, here's the thing, if he'd just left the Bills and kept his mouth shut, especially if he left in a best-behaved "thank you for the opportunity" kind of way, I think it would have been fine. But trashing the Bills org in a way that got into National media opened the door for "return fire". And the return fire opens a different perspective which raises questions. If he doesn't handle the questions right in the interview, that does damage his credibility because all these guys in the different FOs know each other and talk to each other, the players talk, etc etc.

I think his credibility has taken a huge hit. I would not be surprised one bit if he overplayed his hand believing he would get hired somewhere else for sure and I would not be surprised if that doesn't happen.

Given the Revis tampering situation, the lack of GM and the items coming out about Marrone's character it wouldn't surprise me if the Jets decided to pass. If the rumors about an extension for Marrone being in place in principle are true and he suddenly did a 180, you had better believe there's a tampering charge coming if the Jets hire him. Jim Mora Jr. looked like their leading target before the Marrone news and it looks like they are back around to him. Rex looks like a go in Atlanta. The guys who said no to the Jets GM job are the leading candidates for the Bears GM job, if Marrone scared them away from NY they'll certainly not hire him in Chicago. It looks like San Fran, Oakland or the Bills will be hiring the Shanahans.

Marrone is billed as an offensive guy, at the very least all the reports surfacing are going to force teams to think twice about him. It doesn't take a genius to see our offense was bad this year. He's certainly fighting an uphill battle to land in a better situation than the one he walked out on.

Btw I have seen no one defend him.... except mike Tirico on the Lupica show.

What is lost in all this aftermath is a very basic question - if Marrone was known as an egomaniac, abrasive, control freak then why didn't the Bills due diligence not bring this to light ? I am leaning towards the thought that perhaps it was turned up and it was Brandon's love for him which chose to hide that information. Many of the opinions surfacing are painting a picture of him that pre-dates the Bills. The Bills FO is much as fault for ignoring these red flags and hiring him anyway.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

What is lost in all this aftermath is a very basic question - if Marrone was known as an egomaniac, abrasive, control freak then why didn't the Bills due diligence not bring this to light ? I am leaning towards the thought that perhaps it was turned up and it was Brandon's love for him which chose to hide that information. Many of the opinions surfacing are painting a picture of him that pre-dates the Bills. The Bills FO is much as fault for ignoring these red flags and hiring him anyway.

The mad rush to hire these guys after the season ends is crazy for such an important position. Marrone was hired the first week of January, just like we're looking at now. The ability to to a "deep dive" on vetting their personalities and past work experiences is really too short, but that's how the game is played. Again, really crazy.

It seems like "the interview" is everything (that was Gregg-o's big thing as well)..

I was just Googling around and found this gem of an article...it's a real hoot!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--bills-vow-doug-marrone-will-make-them-winners-200622445.html

"I approach it as I like the challenges," he continued. "I welcome the adversity. I like to deal with issues quickly and I like to be straight. I think sometimes conflict is not a bad word. Getting angry is not bad. Suppressing those things, that can get you in trouble."

I'm a fan of Brandon's, but the folks who want him gone will find plenty of fodder here as well...

Oh boy, do I remember this gem of a PR piece.

Edited by GG