Has Marrone's credibility as a Head Coach taken a hit?

gjv001

How does Marrone speak to "team first", "unselfish sacrifice for the team", " play for each other", etc,etc, etc, all the things head coaches try to instill into their players. Will his new players find him credible when he speaks to those issues?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the opt out clause "obviously" allows Doug to leave, it feels to many players and fans (myself included) that leaving before the contract expires is quitting before the job is done.

Syracuse fans and players felts the same.

The only things Doug has proven in his head coaching career is:

(1) he has a talent for taking over bad teams and making them average, and

(2) he has no loyalty.

If I was a NFL owner, GM, or player, I'd have concerns about him.

Edited by hondo in seattle

How does Marrone speak to "team first", "unselfish sacrifice for the team", " play for each other", etc,etc, etc, all the things head coaches try to instill into their players. Will his new players find him credible when he speaks to those issues?

The league is too cutthroat for anyone to care. That s until they get screwed themselves..

bull ****. He made a sound business decision (see the other opt-out thread for that discussion). For the millionth time, the NFL is a business first to everyone but the fans.

And when doing business people consider the character and trustworthiness of people they do business with.

bull ****. He made a sound business decision (see the other opt-out thread for that discussion). For the millionth time, the NFL is a business first to everyone but the fans.

+1

If you subscribe to the "he didn't finish the job" approach then you then put yourself into a position of holding the team to the same standard when they fire a coach. It's just not a defensible position in a multibillion dollar BUSINESS.

And when doing business people consider the character and trustworthiness of people they do business with.

Character and trustworthiness? He didn't hold out. He simply exercised his contractual option, one that Whaley and Brandon gave him.

If you want to be pissed at someone, be pissed at Brandon and Whaley for giving contractual terms that made it crazy for the coach to stay with the Bills to a mediocre HC.

Edited by CodeMonkey

This is very similar to the way Bill O'Brien left Penn State. Many said the same things "new players wont find him credible, etc.". Players are (rightfully) miffed, but at the end of the day its business, and people will move on. I think its crappy that both O'Brien and Marrone left without even telling their current players that they were leaving, but I guess that is what you should expect since they are both best of friends, and decendents from the Belichick tree.

Character and trustworthiness? He didn't hold out. He simply exercised his contractual option, one that Whaley and Brandon gave him.

If you want to be pissed at someone, be pissed at Brandon and Whaley for giving contractual terms that made it crazy for the coach to stay with the Bills to a mediocre HC.

Whaley didn't give it to him. And what is crazy about just keeping your job for your contract? He didn't have to take the money although I'm glad he did. Wait til you see what Pegula is willing to pay for coaches and good coordinators in the next ten years.

Really? Aaron Williams seemed pissed.

I work in the business world and business is never all business. Loyality and integrity matter to many people. Many, many times I've seen business folks make business decisions because of loyalty. Those who give the most loyalty usually get the most loyalty so it ends up paying off.

But you're right that it was a sound business decision.

The thread wasn't about being pissed, it was about his credibility as a HC. He's starting to develop a pattern of cutting out early. There's a reason companies are cautious about applicants who bounce from company to company every year or two.

It's his decision if he wants to be an opportunist, but if you know you're dealing with someone who's only out for #1 with no sense of loyalty, that knowledge will probably factor in to how/If you do business with them.

Marrone made a business decision in a business that can be brutal at times. I don't think any future bills coach will be afforded an opt clause going forward. IMO despite the contract language he quit. He couldn't handle the uncertainty and bolted. I'm puzzled that he thinks the Jets and the NY media is a better situation for him should he go there.