Doug Marrone opts out of contract

The Poojer

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what it comes down to: in the end, Marrone declined to bet on himself. The Pegulas refused his requests for extensions, effectively telling him to prove himself in 2015. He declined. You might think that it says a lot about the Bills' organization that Marrone lacked the confidence to bet on 2015. I don't view it that way. I think it's his !@#$ personality. He constantly refused to bet on his own players at critical moments. It's the epitome of St. Doug - maintaining the illusion that the circumstances are dire and impossible. If he succeeds, it's because he's a miracle worker; if he fails, well, what did you expect, a miracle? People like that do not bet on themselves in critical moments, because there is no one to blame if things go south.

Doug Marrone is an !@#$. I really don't care that he is gone, and I find it amazing that the Jets want to hire him. The NY media is going to roast him, he'll be exposed to constant, 360-degree criticism (yes that is a reference to his stupid HR survey), that team has far less talent than the Bills, there will be nowhere to hide, and he'll be known as both a quitter, first, and then a failure. Good riddance to him and his career.

And oh by the way, I hope he brings his analytics department with him to New Jersey. Did you know that the Patriots' defense had an 83% failure rate on 4th and short heading into Sunday's game? The one in which Marrone chose to punt on 4th and 1 on the Patriots' side of the ball, against the Patriots' second-stringers?

Doug Marrone is an !@#$.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Is a good question. On paper SD offense only slightly better than B'lo despite a real QB. Anyone?

And actually got worse from 2013 to 2014 when Reich was handed some of the play calling duties. In 2013 when the SD offense was top 5 it was all McCoy. Reich has in no way developed his own offensive system, its all McCoy in SD and when Reich took over some play calling the offense regressed.

I think that Marrone having this discussion directly to Pegula always speaks to how the organization is structured. Brandon and Whaley were not privy to a discussion regarding a head coaches contract?

In this case it may speak to how Marrone wanted the organization to be structured - from St Doug's mouth to the owner's ear? Maybe Marrone asked for "more" from Brandon and Whaley and were told "things are in flux all around, we have no authority for that at present". So he went upstairs to ask. Maybe he was sent back with his porridge bowl empty.

I think he did the smart thing for himself. He asked about an extension for his assistant coaches to gauge the owners perspective on this years situation, and found out that this new owner actually understood what happened with the team this year.

Marrone knew his offense stunk because of a bad O line, and a bad OC. Then he lost the guy who bailed him out this season in QB Kyle Orton by earning a 7-5 record along the way. He was probably going to be forced to fire his OC & O line coach, and then find a new QB. The odds of his having another winning year were slim to none, and slim (Orton) left town.

Doug Marrone wasn't getting along with Whaley, and kept pushing Whaley all year long. The Bills are better off without that arrogant jerk who nicknamed himself St Doug.

You can stop right there. With a winning season and the "perception" that he turned things around in B'lo, Marrone is likely marketable for the HC vacancies.

He has $4 million dollars to walk out the door in B'lo and double-dip if/when he is hired somewhere else.

I could be wrong, but I have the perception that Marrone had a lot to do with the OL and the offensive play calling.

Ha ha, only Bills fans want to clean house after going 9-7. Get ready for the media to have a field day ripping us. Good for Marrone. I hope he kicks our ass. We deserve it. Only in Buffalo :doh:

I have had your back fro 10 years on this board, but your loathing of Buffalo and and Buffalo sports fans is just getting ridiculous..

The two "leaders" of this squad just both slinked out of town without having the stones to talk or explain why...shows me why they failed and failed big ...they did NOT make the playoffs.

Please just stop with the Bills fans suck, please stop with Buffalo sucks...just please stop overall.

Do you get that the TWO LEADERS on this team just quit....freaking QUIT, on the team.....and you want to see them come back and kick the Bills ass...

Go the F$%k away

Please just jump ship and become a NE fan...

Edited by plenzmd1

I have had your back fro 10 years on this board, but your loathing of Buffalo and and Buffalo sports fans is just getting ridiculous..

The two "leaders" of this squad just both slinked out of town without having the stones to talk or explain why...shows me why they failed and failed big ...they did NOT make the playoffs.

Please just stop with the Bills fans suck, please stop with Buffalo sucks...just please stop overall.

Do you get that the TWO LEADERS on this team just quit....freaking QUIT, on the team.....and you want to see them come back and kick the Bills ass...

Go the F$%k away

He can't stop. Just like St. Doug, he has a personality disorder that makes him insufferable in the eyes of other humans.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I just heard about it this morning. I can't say I was ever a fan of his, but as far as I'm concerned, if he can't take a little criticism from the media and/or is afraid to face a little adversity now that his QB has quit on him, well, screw this guy. Don't let the door hit you in the backside on the way out, Saint Doug.

People should really be angry at whoever negotiated Marrone's contract. The opt out provision all but guaranteed that Marrone would opt out (taking an extra, unearned year's pay with him) if he performed well. The only way he would not opt out is if he sucked so badly that he was likely to get fired anyway. Given the high likelihood of an ownership change, it is criminal misfeasance to have included such a provision. And why the hell should Marrone get to opt out due to an ownership change anyway? Was he so wedded to WNY? Did he have a close relationship with Ralph? Doubtful on both counts. Almost looks like an inside job, to me.

I don't care if Marrone is an idiot, hated by some etc...we were 9&7, almost made the playoffs, got better each year, and still had no QB

Now we are back to being a recycle program of the 80's. Polian is past his prime as Levy was. We now may have to accept another unproven HC in Reich

Polian brings in his kid, Schwartz leaves and we end up 5& 11 but rebuilding again

We go from a young and aggressive org to old and sleepy again. Why not bring back Walt Corey and the Prevent Defence

You know what would be awesome?

Marrone Opting out.

You know why?

We already have the next Head Coach.

I'm sure this may have been pointed out up thread but Marrone opting out would be a god send.

Schwartz becomes HC. He promotes one of his all star Defensive coaching staff to DC.

Marrone and his little buddy Natie can go off to New York, Atlanta, or Chicago and Schwartz can hire a real OC like Trestman.

The more I think of this, the more I can't wait to see an alert "Doug Morrone has opted out of his 2015 contract with the Buffalo Bills"

A boy can dream . . .

The dream is becoming a reality!

Ha ha, only Bills fans want to clean house after going 9-7. Get ready for the media to have a field day ripping us. Good for Marrone. I hope he kicks our ass. We deserve it. Only in Buffalo :doh:

You think ESPN and NFLN are going to see it that way? What's the better story? "There goes Buffalo again."

for someone who can't tolerate media people, you sure do seem consumed by what they say.

You hope Marrone kicks our ass? That is pathetic Talk about "only in Buffalo" ...only in Buffalo do people treat 9-7 like it's some big deal. I can understand why national people do because they think we suck and don't deserve better, but I do.

Best team in 10 years? ....bfd. All those teams blew.

Edited by jester43

First I want to say thanks HCDM, I am really happy you were here and we got to 9 and 7 this year.

But I am also glad he is gone, I think he had a situation and he did what quitters do. I think it is laughable that he is trying to parlay himself into being the next Parcells. I hope he does go to the Jests, they have that nickname for a reason and I really think his anemic offensive philosophies will be a welcome addition to (another team in, yahoo!) the AFC east. Plus the players will love kicking their old coaches teams ass. Just ask Aaron Williams ;)

The think I want to see is, if Polian or who ever comes in, they try hard to get the vet QB they need and the Oline fixed up. I think a good portion of the oline woes were Marrone's scheme though and maybe just spreading it out a bit would help. But talent needs to be there too.

I also hope they can work it out to keep JS and the defense and keep them just they way they are now. I think it would be great but this is also my biggest worry, that they can't do that with out making JS the HC. I would not really want that unless they put either the DB or DL coach up to DC and hired a real talent @OC. But I think JS has had some really bad OCs before though and he as a HC is lacking a bit as evidenced by his Detroit teams.

Has anybody else noticed that since Nix brought in Mario, this team has really been in the news! Especially in the off season. it is pretty amazing and I feel like the team has been moving in a positive direction ever since then too. I just hope this is what needed to happen to keep progressing and there is no 2 steps forward 3 back.

BTW, I think I finally know what he meant when he said "Don't confuse effort with results". He really didn't get any results, his DC and D did but him? No, he just made an effort.

Go BILLS!!

Edited by bowery4

You are one of my most respected posters, but we will continue to disagree on this. Harbaugh and Carrol had previous NFL coaching experience, which means they had experience coaching men---men who made big salaries. They also build good NFL networks with position coaches. Kelly remains the ONLY HC in the league with no previous NFL experience. While the college game may "influence" the pro game, it isn't a slam dunk for a guy who has been good in one, to be good in the other. Too much failed history here to suggest otherwise.

And while Gus offense may be brilliant, he doesn't get to "recruit" for that offense in the NFL. Maybe, after a few offseason and a few drafts, he gets the kind of players he needs to make it work. Can he adjust in the meantime? Seriously, if he is offered big money to enter the NFL at a coordinator position and that is "beneath" him, I'm not sure the NFL is the place for him. You can be a successful NFL coach one year, and a coordinator for a year or two, until you get hired as a HC again. Happens all the time. If he really wants to be in the NFL he should be open to taking a coordinator job---of course, if the money is right.

Nobody who hasn't been an NFL head coach is a "sure thing" to be a good one. However a guy who has a good track record as a good NFL coach has already proven he can be, and might be the safer bet, IMO.

The bigger point being missed is they didn't run gimmick offenses. It was all pro set at USC and Stanford. Kelly's offense like spread QBs won't sustain in the NFL.

Edited by BUFFALOTONE