How about Michael Sam?

Joaquin1119

Basically, he's Aaron Maybin. But with a boyfriend.

that is a pretty spot on analogy. Although Rex was able to get some production out of Maybin. But there are better options out there in the draft.

BTW, anyone know how Golic and Fox from ND looked at the combine?

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's he worst that can happen? Dude was dominant in the SEC and we could use some depth.

I don't understand why he isn't getting more looks

Is it really that hard to understand why he isnt getting more looks?

and no it has nothing to do with his personal life

Now that we have incognito let's build out the offense around controversial players. Trade a 4th to 9ers for Jonathan martin to reunite the pair. Sign ray rice at RB. Trade our 3rd to Browns for Gordon at WR. And of course sign tebow at QB. Would be no worse than last year (maybe better), and would be a lot more entertaining.

Now that we have incognito let's build out the offense around controversial players. Trade a 4th to 9ers for Jonathan martin to reunite the pair. Sign ray rice at RB. Trade our 3rd to Browns for Gordon at WR. And of course sign tebow at QB. Would be no worse than last year (maybe better), and would be a lot more entertaining.

lol why is Tebow grouped in with the others? Tebow's just a good Christian that can't throw

Woah, woah! Let's not focus on the sexual orientation of this player, or any other. He, Michael Sam, is or was a prospect in the NFL at one time. The Rams let him go as did the Cowboys. It's probably wasn't his sexual oriention that was his downfall, but rather his lack of ability to be a cut it as an NFL player. Stop being haters and respect the individule that gives his heart and life to trying to make a difference. Michael Sam should be applauded for coming out and trying to make a difference. Is he a starter in the NFL? Probably not. But he did take the biggest step, (a ProBowl step IMO), in coming out. So let's show some respect to a man who has done more than any one of us could have ever dreamed of doing... Making an impact on the NFL.

Woah, woah! Let's not focus on the sexual orientation of this player, or any other. He, Michael Sam, is or was a prospect in the NFL at one time. The Rams let him go as did the Cowboys. It's probably wasn't his sexual oriention that was his downfall, but rather his lack of ability to be a cut it as an NFL player. Stop being haters and respect the individule that gives his heart and life to trying to make a difference. Michael Sam should be applauded for coming out and trying to make a difference. Is he a starter in the NFL? Probably not. But he did take the biggest step, (a ProBowl step IMO), in coming out. So let's show some respect to a man who has done more than any one of us could have ever dreamed of doing... Making an impact on the NFL.

A few sophomoric jokes aside, no one is being a 'hater'. It's just getting old seeing people continue to start threads about this mediocre 7th round talent. Posters get the same treatment in the monthly 'why not Tebow?' threads.

What's he worst that can happen? Dude was dominant in the SEC and we could use some depth.

Shouldn't the title of the thread be Take a flyer on Michael Sam, not IN Michael Sam. Sorry, couldn't resist.

But, seriously, if he is invited to camp at League minimum, sure. Other than that, no thanks.

I am much more responsive to a Michael Sam thread and take it more serious when it is not, "let's replace Jerry Hughes with Michael Sam" !!

Just spent the last few days reviewing the East/West Shrine game as well as the Combine. Will be watching the Senior Bowl tomorrow. (Permanently disabled after coaching seventeen years in high school and Junior College so what else is there to do but look for players I'd like for our Bills).There looks to be several players with more athleticism and ability than Michael Sam. He is just not athletic enough to play at this level.... at least not for us. I'm actually glad he is being treated just like any other football player.... not with bigotry not preferential treatment.

There was a pretty good article about this that I linked to a while back.

To summarize, the article pointed out that athletes who break new ground in any professional league are typically ultra-talented, Jackie Robinson types.

Michael Sam is not uber-talented, but he's at least as good as many a DLman who was in the "speed dial" list every Director of Pro Personnel keeps to call in when injuries occur or for options at the end of the season. The article concluded that Sam isn't getting those tryouts or option calls because he's not sufficiently talented to overcome the media distraction that would follow him in the door.

For whatever reason, Sam has chosen to court the media with talk show appearances and DwtS. It may give him some earnings and enhance his "brand" but it hurts his chances in the NFL.

I'm actually impressed that this thread wasn't as ignorant as it could've been. I agree with most that if he was good enough to be on an NFL roster then he'd be on one. That being said, from what I recall he actually had a pretty good preseason with the rams last year and as long as he's been working out it wouldn't be ridiculous for him to get a shot in someone's camp again this year. And to those of you who apparently watch every SEC football game, you don't luck your way to SEC DPOY by piling up a few sacks against inferior opponents. I'm sure the voters watched more games than you in 2013 and I'm sure he was pretty damn good. Can he produce enough at this level to make a roster? Probably not but please don't compare him to Tim Tebow. He's not a joke of a football player.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Do you really want to bring him to a team with Richie Incognito?

One would think they wouldn't have thought about RI if that was any concern at all. There's a good chance that in the next couple years atleast 1 gay man will be in the locker room and a near certainty that several are in the organization.

I'm actually impressed that this thread wasn't as ignorant as it could've been. I agree with most that if he was good enough to be on an NFL roster then he'd be on one. That being said, from what I recall he actually had a pretty good preseason with the rams last year and as long as he's been working out it wouldn't be ridiculous for him to get a shot in someone's camp again this year. And to those of you who apparently watch every SEC football game, you don't luck your way to SEC DPOY by piling up a few sacks against inferior opponents. I'm sure the voters watched more games than you in 2013 and I'm sure he was pretty damn good. Can he produce enough at this level to make a roster? Probably not but please don't compare him to Tim Tebow. He's not a joke of a football player.

Disagree. Tebow actually made a regular season roster. Tebow the tank would run michael sam over.

Michael Sam knows he does not have the talent to make an NFL roster. He effectively sealed his fate by going on DWTS, which was a smart decision by him. His PR advisor has been brilliant and good for him to cash in on his artificially generated fame.

No GM is going to take a flyer on a borderline prospect who is focusing on learning dance routines and not devoting 110% of his time to football and improving himself as a player. And yes, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt by even calling him borderline.

Without googling, name another SECDPOY. No one else has been able to.

Disagree. Tebow actually made a regular season roster. Tebow the tank would run michael sam over.

Yes. Tebow won the Heisman and was a first rounder. He was leagues above Sam.

Wow! Everybody stop and look at DrDrakeRemore. Look at how tolerant he his. Kissing dudes is brave now. You da real MVP.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

Because the board obviously needed yet another thread about this guy...

The only reason he keeps getting mention anywhere is because of his life choices. He's not much of an NFL prospect. If he was, he'd be on a roster somewhere. Combined with the media circus sideshow that he has actively embraced, its not hard to figure out why no NFL teams are interested.

I think Hopeful is the closest to hitting the nail on the head. He isn't good enough to be worth the media distraction. He played well in pre-season last year with the Rams and just missed a spot on a deep roster at D-Line. He deserved on that basis another shot somewhere and he got one with the Cowboys. However, the reports from Dallas were that he struggled in practice there and eventually was cut fro the practice squad.

I am slightly surprised that nobody (not the Bills but a team with need for pass rushers) has taken a flyer on him on one of those future contract things with the intention of taking him through training camp and I think he is probably better than some tweener linebacker / defensive ends out there on rosters (camp fodder types) but with those others you are giving their long shot at making it you are not having to answer questions on them every day after practice. I can see why teams baulk at that a little.

I do, however, also get the sense when I look at the way this is discussed by fans on message boards (not specifically just this one) that there is an undercurrent of indirect homophobia. I don't think it is direct "I don't like gay people therefore I don't like Michael Sam and I hope he fails." I don't sense much of that.... I do however sense a semi-conscious desire for him not to succeed, because if a guy who "kisses dudes" live on national tv makes it as a key player in the NFL it somehow might threaten the ridiculous macho climate that still pervades professional football in the US. Personally I don't liek that culture and I kind of root for Michael Sam. However, I just don't think he is talented enough to overcome the associated noise and it must be said that the Dancing with the Stars type stuff doesn't help him.

I look at it this way, if Aaron Rodgers or JJ Watt were to come out as gay (not making accusations, just using them as examples), would their teams drop them? I'd hope so because I want to pick them up. Lol. But no, there's no way. Would it draw media attention and be a distraction? Yeah, but they're elite players, and their talent outweighs any sort of off field, non criminal distraction.

I look at it this way, if Aaron Rodgers or JJ Watt were to come out as gay (not making accusations, just using them as examples), would their teams drop them? I'd hope so because I want to pick them up. Lol. But no, there's no way. Would it draw media attention and be a distraction? Yeah, but they're elite players, and their talent outweighs any sort of off field, non criminal distraction.

And that comes back to Hopeful's point.... the one who "breaks the mould" needs to be an Aaron Rodgers or a JJ Watt a talent that is great enough to overcome the noise. Sam isn't. That doesn't, however, mean he isn't better than some of the scrub DE/LBs knocking around training camps etc...

+1 and I'm tired of Sam & reporters talking about his or others personal lives Sam needs to just quit trying to be relevant by making headlines. And as of right now, he is below a scrub. Improve your play or go away Michael Sam.

+1 and I'm tired of Sam & reporters talking about his or others personal lives Sam needs to just quit trying to be relevant by making headlines. And as of right now, he is below a scrub. Improve your play or go away Michael Sam.

I respect the players that did reach out to me and had the courage to tell me that they were also gay, but they do not have the same courage as I do to come out before I even played a down in the NFL.”

How humble of him.

The fact of the matter is most people simply do not care. They don't care if he's gay, they don't care if he's bi, they don't care if he's straight, they don't care if he's black, they don't care if he's white, they don't care if he rich, they don't care if he's poor. They don't. What they do care about is a player who is so self-centered that after he made his announcement he signed up to do a reality show. They also care about the interviews with this insignificant player being shoved down our throats just because he is a gay man, which, as I stated earlier, most of us don't care about. While this guy should have been training his butt off, he was off doing self-promotions, not trying to be the best football player he could be and making a team. Now he's doing dancing with the stars while he should be concentrating on making a team if it meant so much to him. And, most of all, they care about his talent level and it's just not there to be an NFL player. A small DE who runs a 5.00 40 speed (down from the rookie combine in the veteran combine) who tallied most of his stats in college versus the weakest competition he faced. I'm sorry, but that ain't gonna cut it in this league. As I said earlier, if he had not come out you would have never even known his name, and definitely would have never heard it again after he won the SEC DPOY award.

Edited by Mark80

“Hopefully I’m not being discriminated because I’m gay. I don’t believe that I’m being discriminated because I’m gay,” Sam said. “I just want to know if I’m truly not in the NFL, it’s because of talent. If you look at the film, clearly I can. So, I’ll leave it at that.”

The film of you playing against 2nd and 3rd string players in the preseason? And you're basically saying you are being discriminated against. I really can't stand this guy. Nothing to do with his orientation, I just can't stand his attitude.

Without googling, name another SECDPOY. No one else has been able to.

Yes. Tebow won the Heisman and was a first rounder. He was leagues above Sam.

They probably both should've been mid round picks. Tebow was one of the greatest college players of all time. My point is that in 2015, it's clearly not happening for Tebow (even though he's only started 14 games), while, based on his preseason performance last year, it wouldn't be absurd to think that Sam could sneak onto a roster this year. Likely? Probably not. Does the circus factor into him probably not making a roster? Probably. Has he fanned the fire that is the circus? Yes.

And also fwiw Tebow didn't have to make a roster. No first round pick that I'm aware of hasn't been on an NFL roster his first two seasons.