Report: Marrone has 3-day out clause due to new ownership

YoloinOhio

Marrone and Hackett are a package deal. The offensive philosophy doesn't change because the OC is sent packing.

Hackett remains a symptom of the greater dysfunction, namely that the strategy in place cannot provide, even with increased talent at the skill positions, a better offensive product. Furthermore, talent acquisition by personnel isn't synched with or good enough for the HC and therefore the coordinators.

I gotta agree with you here. For being an offensive guy I would have expected him (and the OC) to get more out of this group. QB issues aside, you have a pretty diverse group of receivers and running backs with specific talents but I didn't see any obvious customization of the offensive scheme to design and run plays specific to the talents of players like Watkins or Spiller or Goodwin to name three. And innovation? Its hard to use that word in the same sentence when describing the Bills offense. And the offensive line? Frankly, I don't want to hear the excuse there isn't enough talent here at this point. You've had a couple drafts and off seasons to correct the problem and I don't see any real improvement beyond lucking out with Henderson at RT this season. I just have to figure you don't know how to solve the problem. And if the problem is the front office and the head coach are not on the same page then that's item #1 for new ownership to resolve.

Numbers don't lie. The Bills scored 343 points this season for an average of 21.4 points per game. You subtract out those two big games against the Jets and return TD's (3) and the average for the non-Jet 14 games is 18.7. That isn't going to cut it against teams that regularly score in the 30 point range. You can't expect the defense to play a perfect game every week. The offense has got to bail them out once or twice during the season.

Overall, I've got mixed feelings about Marrone. I think he's done some good and has changed the culture surrounding the team and has things headed in the right direction. But can he take it to the next level in season 3 with the same offensive system and an overmatched OC? If he stays or goes I have a sense of confidence that ownership is going to bring in some top tier candidates rather than the bargain level choices we've had to settle for in the Wilson years. Whatever happens I trust ownership will do whatever it takes. I'm more concerned about what happens with Spiller and Hughes situations, what the approach is to the QB problem. and which free agents the team will pursue than I am about Marrone's status.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Dean, No I don't period. The entire org from Brandon down to the waterboy and several players need to go. Pagula needs to send a clear message its time for a change and its time to start making the playoffs on a regular basis and have shots at Superbowls.

I know you idiot. You post the same thing in every thread. You are a one-note guy who can't even make that note interesting. You have always contributed NOTHING to the forum. But at least you are consistent.

And it's Pegula, not Pagula you simpleton.

@ Dean, No I don't period. The entire org from Brandon down to the waterboy and several players need to go. Pagula needs to send a clear message its time for a change and its time to start making the playoffs on a regular basis and have shots at Superbowls.

Why? Do we know everything in the organisation isn't working? We have had our best year in 10 years and you want to can everyone... not even just the coach... everyone.

Purely conjecture from Bob Matthews on WHAM just now, Marrone get's offer from one of the teams with open head coaching positions in the next 3 days and is able to take it. Could he and would he? Again, Matthews said it was pure conjecture on his part and that if he was offered the San Fran job Marrone should take it. Just thought it was interesting discussion.

Purely conjecture from Bob Matthews on WHAM just now, Marrone get's offer from one of the teams with open head coaching positions in the next 3 days and is able to take it. Could he and would he? Again, Matthews said it was pure conjecture on his part and that if he was offered the San Fran job Marrone should take it. Just thought it was interesting discussion.

I dont think thats how the clause works. I believe he would have to opt out and take his chances, THEN and only then, he could talk to other teams.

Based solely on this year, I might take Marrone over Kelly. What exactly did Chip do this year to impress you so, other than getting some decent play from Sanchez? The Eagles managed just one more win than the Bills. What were the pre-season predictions for these teams? The Eagles were almost universally picked to win their division, if I remember correctly. But I guess them missing the playoffs isn't a dent in Kelly's reputation.

What a bunch of drivel, proving once again, that overachieving in Year #1 is one of the worst things a coach can do.

20-12 with Foles/Sanchez and a worse defense.

Horray for preseason predictions, the end all be all of a team's talent level.

What a bunch of drivel, proving once again, that overachieving in Year #1 is one of the worst things a coach can do.

20-12 with Foles/Sanchez and a worse defense.

Horray for preseason predictions, the end all be all of a team's talent level.

This year,. BO, this year. Did he go 20-12 THIS YEAR? And before you start with the QBs he had, Marrone had EJ and Orton. Just saying. Marrone's record this year was as respectable as Chip's given the talent and expectations of those teams. You can poo poo it,. Maybe you like Rex too and think he's a really good HC, as many here seem to think. It seems as though the posters on this forum judge our own FAR more harshly than they judge others.

Adam Schefter said this morning on Mike & Mike that if Marrone chose to leave he would be highly sought after for another NFL HC job - when he was interviewing with Chip Kelly and Bill O'Brien, NFL execs he spoke with considered him the best candidate.

I heard the same thing. It's enough to make me wonder how he is paid incomparison to his peers. I think I read somewhere once (or a million times) that Ralph was cheap. I also wonder if this gives him leverage regarding possible tweaks (like the OC). Does this window result some sort of advantage to him in terms of dollars or power? I'm sure the Pegulas have some inclination regarding their coach already. Obviously, it matters not what I think of him - only what they and their advisors think.

Believe it or not Marrone is well thought of. He took the FREAKING Buffalo Bills to 9-7 the best record in a decade. Bills fans are coming off as real idiots insulting him and pushing for his firing. The Bills get to within one game of the playoofs for the first time in a decade and people want to fire him?

Yes.. Marrone is well thought of by those who choose to ignore the reasons why he was hired.

That's fine, if it gives you the 'warm and fuzzies', but the 2015 offensive cupboard is still bare.

He will opt out if he gets a better offer. Without a first round pick or a starting caliber QB, is the overall situation with the Bills favorable in the near term?

If he had won in Oakland, and the Bills ended up at 10-6, Marrone would have been very sought after.

He will opt out if he gets a better offer. Without a first round pick or a starting caliber QB, is the overall situation with the Bills favorable in the near term?

If he had won in Oakland, and the Bills ended up at 10-6, Marrone would have been very sought after.

I don't think he can get an offer until he opts out. Otherwise it's tampering.

Yes.. Marrone is well thought of by those who choose to ignore the reasons why he was hired.

That's fine, if it gives you the 'warm and fuzzies', but the 2015 offensive cupboard is still bare.

Please explain this post.

What are the reasons he was hired to you? To me it was to rebuild a franchise that had been stuck in mediocrity for over a decade. Which he did. The 2015 offensive cupboard is bare? I don't know what you are driving at here so please explain it further. I will then be glad to point out how you are wrong. :nana:

So, if he had lost to a New England team that actually had something to PLAY FOR and ended up at 8-8, would he still be "very sought after?"