Half a Dozen Reasons to Be Optimistic, and Half a Dozen to Just Give U

I've taken a couple steps back from the cliff. Reasons to be optimistic about next year:

1. At the start of the season, the Bills had the 3rd youngest roster in the NFL. (Rams: 24.98, Browns 25.25, Bills 25.3) We got a little older when Orton came in; we'll get younger when he's gone, unless they sign Matt Hasselbeck or something.

2. They have the cap room to bring back most key players and to add one or two others. I expect Spikes to be gone for sure, and probably Hughes or Dareus, and maybe Searcy or Spiller. But Alonso will be back, and I can't imagine not seeing an O line overhaul and at least one new QB to, at a minimum, compete for the job.

3. The jury's still out on Marrone as a head coach overall, but defense and special teams certainly looked to be well-coached, and the stats bear that out. As they say, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

4. I think we all also agree that we'll have a new OC, and some reasonable expectation of a less dysfunctional offense even if we don't get the significant QB upgrade.

5. Some unheralded players emerged as real performers. Linebacker was a weak position in 2013. With Brown and Bradham emerging this year, it was a strength.

6. There's finally some certainty/stability in ownership and the franchise as a whole.

OK, I almost convinced myself. Now for the glass half empty view:

1. This may well have been our peak defense. Keeping Dareus/Hughes/Spikes/Searcy is all but impossible. Losing Kiko was big, but other than that, we saw an unusually healthy defense all year long. Out of our other key players only Searcy missed significant time (I won't count Leodis since Graham seemed to outplay him). Kyle Williams is getting old. Dareus and Hughes are getting really pricey. Kiko is coming off his second major knee surgery. I'm not sure they can replicate this.

2. There is absolutely no QB of the future or even of 2015 on this roster. Orton may be a keeper as a backup, but we know how he behaves in that role. It was a complete lost season for EJ, who has now started all of 14 games out of 32 after being drafted to be the franchise QB. I have no idea what Bills management will come up with, but other than the gambles (worthwhile in my opinion) like RG3 or Cutler, the most likely scenario is another Kolb/Orton/Matt Flynn type thing -- someone else's veteran backup, or someone's Brian Hoyer. That excites no one.

3. Over the next 2-3 years, the division gets harder, not easier. The Pats managed to rebuild again on the fly, and I see no evidence (other than another serious injury) that Brady will decline precipitously until he's on the wrong side of 40. Miami was roughly our equal before the start of this season ; I think most serious analysts now consider them better situated to make the playoffs in the next couple years. The Jets actually have talent hiding there, and they'll be a lot better next year.

4. We don't have a first round draft pick. Nor do we have a QB or a RB. That shouldn't be such a big deal with respect to RB, since they seem easy to find in late rounds or as undrafted free agents. Easy for everyone else it seems. Not for the Bills.

5. There is a serious disconnect between Marrone and Whaley, and no one can convince me otherwise. That's o.k. -- lots of clubs have that. But with the Bills it's meant spending real money or real picks that needs to be applied to real glaring needs that is instead going to Mike Williams or Bryce Brown, both of whom made almost no contribution this year.

6. This is the one that seems to get me in trouble, but I have to say it: Buffalo is like Cleveland. The marquee coaches and QBs have little interest in coming to Buffalo. So Cleveland settles for Pettine, we settle for Marrone. Peyton Manning doesn't even think about paying Orchard Park (or Cleveland) a visit. People talk about Harbaugh going across the SF Bay to Oakland and no one laughs. Start a rumor about him going to Buffalo and no one will take you seriously. Same thing with John Gruden or Bill Cowher or the other perennial objects of desire. Buffalo is not even on the map. Some franchises turn that around -- it's hard to remember, but Green Bay was in this situation before Reggie White joined Brett Favre, and they haven't looked back since. But that means that the big, bold, franchise-defining move isn't out there other than through a trade, and that won't work for a coach, and the only QBs available for a trade are those who are considered damaged goods.

So I ask: Which way will it go?

These are generally good points - both the optimistic and pessimistic sets - and I don't find that much to challenge.

But I strenuously disagree with the notion that we can't attract the head coach we need to win. That was likely the case under Ralph, who didn't necessarily have the greatest reputation as a boss in his younger day, was perceived as not wanting to spend on coaching, and who didn't present the most stable situation over the past few years. Pegula is another story. He's got no real reputation in the league, and there's no reason to believe he won't pay for what he wants.

I've taken a couple steps back from the cliff. Reasons to be optimistic about next year:

1. At the start of the season, the Bills had the 3rd youngest roster in the NFL. (Rams: 24.98, Browns 25.25, Bills 25.3) We got a little older when Orton came in; we'll get younger when he's gone, unless they sign Matt Hasselbeck or something.

2. They have the cap room to bring back most key players and to add one or two others. I expect Spikes to be gone for sure, and probably Hughes or Dareus, and maybe Searcy or Spiller. But Alonso will be back, and I can't imagine not seeing an O line overhaul and at least one new QB to, at a minimum, compete for the job.

3. The jury's still out on Marrone as a head coach overall, but defense and special teams certainly looked to be well-coached, and the stats bear that out. As they say, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

4. I think we all also agree that we'll have a new OC, and some reasonable expectation of a less dysfunctional offense even if we don't get the significant QB upgrade.

5. Some unheralded players emerged as real performers. Linebacker was a weak position in 2013. With Brown and Bradham emerging this year, it was a strength.

6. There's finally some certainty/stability in ownership and the franchise as a whole.

OK, I almost convinced myself. Now for the glass half empty view:

1. This may well have been our peak defense. Keeping Dareus/Hughes/Spikes/Searcy is all but impossible. Losing Kiko was big, but other than that, we saw an unusually healthy defense all year long. Out of our other key players only Searcy missed significant time (I won't count Leodis since Graham seemed to outplay him). Kyle Williams is getting old. Dareus and Hughes are getting really pricey. Kiko is coming off his second major knee surgery. I'm not sure they can replicate this.

2. There is absolutely no QB of the future or even of 2015 on this roster. Orton may be a keeper as a backup, but we know how he behaves in that role. It was a complete lost season for EJ, who has now started all of 14 games out of 32 after being drafted to be the franchise QB. I have no idea what Bills management will come up with, but other than the gambles (worthwhile in my opinion) like RG3 or Cutler, the most likely scenario is another Kolb/Orton/Matt Flynn type thing -- someone else's veteran backup, or someone's Brian Hoyer. That excites no one.

3. Over the next 2-3 years, the division gets harder, not easier. The Pats managed to rebuild again on the fly, and I see no evidence (other than another serious injury) that Brady will decline precipitously until he's on the wrong side of 40. Miami was roughly our equal before the start of this season ; I think most serious analysts now consider them better situated to make the playoffs in the next couple years. The Jets actually have talent hiding there, and they'll be a lot better next year.

4. We don't have a first round draft pick. Nor do we have a QB or a RB. That shouldn't be such a big deal with respect to RB, since they seem easy to find in late rounds or as undrafted free agents. Easy for everyone else it seems. Not for the Bills.

5. There is a serious disconnect between Marrone and Whaley, and no one can convince me otherwise. That's o.k. -- lots of clubs have that. But with the Bills it's meant spending real money or real picks that needs to be applied to real glaring needs that is instead going to Mike Williams or Bryce Brown, both of whom made almost no contribution this year.

6. This is the one that seems to get me in trouble, but I have to say it: Buffalo is like Cleveland. The marquee coaches and QBs have little interest in coming to Buffalo. So Cleveland settles for Pettine, we settle for Marrone. Peyton Manning doesn't even think about paying Orchard Park (or Cleveland) a visit. People talk about Harbaugh going across the SF Bay to Oakland and no one laughs. Start a rumor about him going to Buffalo and no one will take you seriously. Same thing with John Gruden or Bill Cowher or the other perennial objects of desire. Buffalo is not even on the map. Some franchises turn that around -- it's hard to remember, but Green Bay was in this situation before Reggie White joined Brett Favre, and they haven't looked back since. But that means that the big, bold, franchise-defining move isn't out there other than through a trade, and that won't work for a coach, and the only QBs available for a trade are those who are considered damaged goods.

So I ask: Which way will it go?

Dareus isn't going anywhere

The Jets will still be bad

and with Pegula here were are not the same Siberian outpost we used to be and will get what we need.

Agree LB's are a true strength now

Dareus is not going anywhere.

Aaron Rodgers started zero of his first 32 games. Not saying EJ is Rodgers - just saying it's too early to give up on him.

Kouandjio and/or Richardson might develop into a servicable guards

Almost any UDFA RB will be better than Spiller.

Resign/franchise Hughes. Extend Dareus and Glenn now. Sign a guard and TE in FA. Go after Schaub/Sanchez/Foles/Cousins or a different QB.

This was a wasted year. The team pushed all their chips to the middle of the table this season when they traded next year's first for Watkins and benched their young QB and started Orton. Now they've lost a year of development at QB and have no first rounder to help them build next year.

They sacrificed the future for the playoffs this year which is fine had they made the playoffs. Now it just looks like a stupid bet. Now instead of saying our usual, "there's always next year" we're almost forced to say, "there's always the year after next year."

There are 32 teams in the NFL. Every job is a marquee job

If Sean Payton is fired he will be our OC

I know New Orleans disappointed all year, but I can't see Payton getting fired.

That said, if he did, I'd do everything humanly possible to get him.

This is where I am thinking Pegula is going to do most of the work on to start. Same thing as his goal with the Sabres. He will want to make the organization a place where people want to work and play for.

I do think the Ralph Wilson structure, especially post-Donahoe prevents any strong minded football guys who want control in the GM or coaching roles. The power was located with Wilson, Littman, Brandon, Overdorf... Guys like Cowher, Shanahan (when he was coveted), Gruden, Chip Kelly, Harbough, etc will not want to come here when they have to work with/for a marketing guy. Thats why we get Levy as GM, Nix, 4Chan Failey, Jauron, and Syracuse coaches.

Likewise, players dont want to necessarily come here because, well there hasnt been much winning, now often times when players can even recall in their lifetimes! I dont think the players are pampered as much with the Bills as they are with other teams with facilities and such... and lastly, the environment in WNY is not for some as punctuated in the Willis McGahee comments. As proved with the Sabres, Pegula is trying to change all this, obsessed with it.

If Peyton Manning were a FA now, I would think the Bills WOULD be a consideration as Pegula would throw a hat in the ring. That was all based on situation though and the Broncos were poised with a good defense and some real weapons on offense. John Fox also did one of the most masterful coaching jobs I have ever laid eyes on in winning the division building plans around Tim Tebow's deficiencies.

I never thought they would make the playoffs this year.... Without a QB. I was hoping for 9-7 and a jump off to next year and technically that's possible (though highly unlikely). Overall I'm fairly excited but the QB piece is huge. Whaley has his work cut out for him. I really can't weigh in on all the oc and playcalling discussion because I really can't tell if the QB is the issue more so than that. There are so many times that the play is there and he just does not make it. IMO, fix the QB, playoffs.

Edited by YoloinOhio

That would be incredible....

Payton OC

Schwartz DC

Marrone can stay then because really his job will be to decide when to punt or challenge. I think he can handle that.

Marrone can't. But we will be so good it doesn't matter. It would be amazing.

However, not happening.

3. The jury's still out on Marrone as a head coach overall,

3. Somewhere there is a motel with 12 stupid people living off the government dole if any jury is still out on this clown.

4. We all agree but the jury's subject will probably not; and even if he jettisons the 2015 Orchard Park HS prom king in waiting, he will likely replace him with some other puppet. This is Marrone's "offense".