Russ Brandon: "Marrone Has Changed the Bills' Culture"

26CornerBlitz

I disagree, as it won't take that long if proper changes are made.

The Bills need a real football man at the top, and the GM / HC shouldn't be reporting to the finance / marketing guy ever again. A good head coach hire, or even a top NFL offensive coordinator could turn this team around in one season. Along with some changes to the offensive scouting dept would go a long way to upgrading this team very quickly. JMO

I agree that it could move this quickly, but I do not think it will in actuality. Hence my 3 year prediction.

I think Pegula will be a bit more cautious and slow to change, but the change will be coming.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a new owner that just paid $1.4 Billion for this team. At this point, with this kind of ineptitude on the field, I find it near impossible to believe they're not going to to want to put their stamp on the team in some big way this off season. Hiring a consultant and keeping the status quo just doesn't seem like enough to me.

That's all you have? Lol

I guess when you can't debate the natural reaction is to attack people. Nice try Hondo.

It's a logical fallacy known as an ad hominem attack. This is where one attacks an opponent's character or personal traits rather than addressing or engaging with the merits of their actual argument.

You say X. Let's say "The Bills missed the playoffs this year because of poor offensive coordination."

I respond not by attacking your assertion, and arguing the problem is really the bad QB play, but by saying something like "Oh yeah, well you are stupid."

That is effectively what Kirby Jackson did here. Though I must say I'm not out to get Kirby. I find most of his posts to be fairly sensible most of the time.

Edited by Stopthepain

So people think that the team president is responsible for that horrendous performance?!? Come on people that's so stupid. This game was a disgrace but you have to go pretty far down the list to pin it on him.

It's clearly people using a poor performance to push through their agenda. It would be like me coming on here today and blaming Hogan or Lee Smith because they aren't my favorites. That's just stupid.

This board has really fallen off the last couple of years with people trying to push through their agendas. We all have them and there is a time and a place for it. If you just pick every loss to say your piece it loses steam and the poster loses credibility.

Of course nothing has happened or changed yet. The Pegulas just took over! It's mid-season. They are assessing.

As far as it being laughable that they might bring in their own management team? I think Terry and Kim know a thing or two about business. Terry started with a few thousand and turned it into several BILLION. How? Partly by being a few steps ahead of everyone else. You think people just signed over contracts for gas and oil out of the kindness of their hearts? "Oh, you seem like a nice guy Terry! Here, take a few hundred million worth of reserves from me for peanuts!"

LOL... come on. Let's not be willfully ignorant here. Oil/gas is a cutthroat business and they kicked ass in it. I'm sure they know someone who can "move inventory" for football games, especially given all the good will they have, if need be. I'll bet that person can "break ties" between the coach and GM too. I'm sure he/she can negotiate business contracts too, since whoever it is probably has done it for them to the tune of hundreds of millions or more in the past.

Since Russ is supposedly ONLY on the business side, they would be looking at someone taking over the BUSINESS role and building it out based on their vision going forward.

The Pegulas wanted the Bills. They first got liquid (Terry himself said on WGR that selling those assets last year was preparation for bidding). They then hired the best representation there is. Then they shut up and let things play out. When it was time, they paid significantly more than any other NFL owner has ever paid... in CASH.

These are people who get things done when they want to. Russ has done fine, but if they decide to reduce his role or part ways, there will be no "laughter" from within NFL circles.

None of this is to say they MUST or WILL get rid of Russ, but I think it is very likely they inform him that his role is going to be reduced under a new organizational structure (i.e. one where Russ is not the big boss that everyone reports to). Maybe Russ is president of the business side and some new person is president of football ops. Above both is Kim. Just as an example.

I'm sure anyone in the league who would laugh is also insanely jealous of the Pegulas and envies their level of power/success.

Edited by TheFunPolice

At the end of the day, changes are often made not as a reflection on the people who are being replaced, but because their voices/leadership has grown stale and it's time for a new era, a new chapter.

The Bills have been a dysfunctional mess for years now. There is nothing that makes front office changes at the top unreasonable.

IF it happens it will be one of those things where you get a text from WGR one morning that something has happened. Nobody is going to know about it beforehand.

Edited by TheFunPolice

By which metric?

I went here and looked at the ranking for total offense. http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2014&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Then from there I went back year by year until I found one lower.

Presently it shows:

2014 24

2013 19

2012 19

2011 14

2010 25

@MatthewFairburn: RT @billsupdates: Doug Marrone, Buffalo Bills take step toward changing culture in 2014 http://t.co/ZTJu2l8yyq

From the article:

"He makes it how the players want it, not just how he wants it," safety Aaron Williams said. "He always asks us, 'What do you guys think of this? What do you guys think of that?' He keeps a mutual respect, and I really give him a lot of respect for that. A lot of coaches don't really do it that way. They want to do it their way or the highway.

Such a POS Marrone is.

more from the article:

Dixon's words:

"It's a competitive culture. It's a hungry culture," Dixon said. "Once we got to working in the offseason and got to training camp, I was like, 'I don't understand why this team isn't winning' because we had some players out there. We had some players making plays. I was like, 'This year is going to be a good year.' I could feel it from the start. We started out strong, but like I say, we just didn't keep it going like we needed to, and we'll learn from it and get better next year."

Wood's words:

"He's doing a good job, man," Wood said. "He stays on us. He gets people to constantly keep working. He seems to be pretty on point when he pushes us, when he takes off the reins a little bit. He's definitely got us to a point where week in and week out we go into a game expecting to win and we go in with a lot of confidence."

Those words are empty. The team was flat in it's big games and settled for field goals way too much.

Came out of a bye at 5-3 and blew the KC game. Down the stretch they weren't disciplined enough to take care of business in Oakland.

They play hard for Marrone, fine. But they don't play smart when they need it most. Not sure anything else matters.

Those words are empty. The team was flat in it's big games and settled for field goals way too much.

Came out of a bye at 5-3 and blew the KC game. Down the stretch they weren't disciplined enough to take care of business in Oakland.

They play hard for Marrone, fine. But they don't play smart when they need it most. Not sure anything else matters.

I agree. To a man, the players loved Jauron, too. It proves nothing.

Even though there was some improvement this year, the offense regressed, despite spending two number one picks and a second rounder on it. Something is wrong, and I am not sure if it is the coaching or the front office. It is very hard to tell, which is why a Polian-like expert is probably needed to sort it out.

The bottom line is that, despite yesterday's glorified exhibition game, we are still not ready to challenge NE and it is hard to see that changing next year, unless the Bills do something very different.

the team wasn't flat in any of those games. They lost because they weren't good enough and don't have a QB. The notion that this team is somehow overflowing with talent and doesn't miss a beat when depth players need to play a whole game and the only way they could possibly lose is because the culture is one of losing and they were just "flat" - is funny.

That's all you have? Lol

I guess when you can't debate the natural reaction is to attack people. Nice try Hondo.

Because what you posted is not really something you can debate...it is a rant with no substance.......

While we are bitching about the people in place because the QB texted the team and jumped ship...lost in that is we are in fact in new territory.....with a deep pockets owner willing to spend money.....a GM who has in fact shown the ability to find talent.....and a possible return of one of the most respected football men (the one that actually biult our super bowl playing teams) returning in some capacity.

THis all with having one of the best defenses in the league....lets see what happens.