Russ Brandon: "Marrone Has Changed the Bills' Culture"

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brandon's crowning achievement imo was moving the camp to sjf and making it into a real fan attraction. They were about the first to do it as I recall

. . . a real attraction for fans with money to spend, is what I think you mean.

No offense to Fredonia or the southern-tier, but other than being a tad bit closer to orchard park, there's no real reason for camp to be in Fredonia. And short of going to Syracuse or Toronto, Rochester is the place to be. An intern coulda told ya that.

Brandon's crowning achievement imo was moving the camp to sjf and making it into a real fan attraction. They were about the first to do it as I recall

I think that kind of started the regionalization, which ultimately put the franchise in a position to remain in WNY long term. I don't think that they would have survived in WNY without Rochester & Southern Ontario. The expansion of the team's footprint is without a doubt RB's biggest contribution. I'd say that his biggest black eye was leaving Guy & Modrak in charge of the football side (assuming that was his decision).

I hear this a lot and I don't necessarily think it's crown worthy. They have always had camp at an area college. Niagara, Fredonia, etc..

I know the experience has improved but the Bills used to draw pretty good crowds to Fredonia at a time when the NFL in general wasn't nearly the "event" that it is now. Not sure it has actually increased the interest in Rochester.

I think that kind of started the regionalization, which ultimately put the franchise in a position to remain in WNY long term. I don't think that they would have survived in WNY without Rochester & Southern Ontario. The expansion of the team's footprint is without a doubt RB's biggest contribution. I'd say that his biggest black eye was leaving Guy & Modrak in charge of the football side (assuming that was his decision).

4 straight SB's and the legion of young fans....to whom those Bills were Gods.....that became paying customers around the arrival of Donahoe made regionalization possible.

What Brandon did was actually present an organization that acted like it cared if fans came or not. Let's not forget that the John Butler used to go on tv and tell fans not to show up if they didn't like what they saw because he didn't care what they thought. Quite literally.

The suites were a tougher sell because those people had little respect for the shittty attitude of the Bills toward paying customers over the years.

Brandon deserves credit for getting the ear of Ralph Wilson to make the organization more fan-friendly. But over the years he has picked up a lot of the bad habits of the Wilson era. Things that really have no place here anymore.

If Russ Brandon is out of the football side of the house, why is he actively campaigning for Whaley and Marrone? Russ' job is apparently safe, yet he's been very vocal both on radio, television, and in print defending these guys and saying they need more time. And that was before his "change the culture" narrative was put out there.

And it doesn't appear he's seeking other opportunities, so it stands to reason his marketing campaign for the HC and GM is designed to improve his standing, which no longer includes football.

He has a contractual agreement to appear and he's asked questions by the hosts of the shows he appears on. Any "campaigning" is done in direct response to questions asked. Or are you suggesting Brandon forces his way on the air, hijacks the microphones and starts riffing on the subject of Whaley and Marrone spontaneously?

GO BILLS!!!

He has a contractual agreement to appear and he's asked questions by the hosts of the shows he appears on. Any "campaigning" is done in direct response to questions asked. Or are you suggesting Brandon forces his way on the air, hijacks the microphones and starts riffing on the subject of Whaley and Marrone spontaneously?

GO BILLS!!!

Riiiiiiight. To hell with speaking out of turn on matters you no longer control and potentially calling into question your new employers post-season decisions. Gotta' answer those questions honestly! If there is one thing Russ is known for, it's being forthright and honest, so all he can do is answer the questions.

But you are probably right. I am sure Pegula doesn't want a bunch of yes men around him. I am sure he likes people in his organization to tell the public how it should be done.

Riiiiiiight. To hell with speaking out of turn on matters you no longer control and potentially calling into question your new employers post-season decisions. Gotta' answer those questions honestly! If there is one thing Russ is known for, it's being forthright and honest, so all he can do is answer the questions.

But you are probably right. I am sure Pegula doesn't want a bunch of yes men around him. I am sure he likes people in his organization to tell the public how it should be done.

Seeing lots of character assassination towards Brandon today. I can only surmise he ran over your dog and then backed up and ran over it again.

Still, I'd like to know how it's possible to "speak out of turn" when it's in response to a direct question from the media about the very subject matter you are being accused of speaking out of turn about.

Pegula and yes men? Telling the public how it should be done? You lost me completely here. Does Brandon possess any redeemable trait that the Pegulas might leverage on the business side of the ledger or not? That's the question here. His impact on the bottom line suggests he does.

GO BILLS!!!

Consider the fact that Brandons success in marketing and regionalizing the team came during a span where the entire league has skyrocketed in value. The value of franchises has blown up, and fan bases have seen enoroumous growth in Brandons tenure. So maybe its not that hes doing anything right or wrong, but enjoying the success of an entertainment industy that just simply appeals to people.

I think Brandon fit an ageing Ralph Wilsons MO perfectly, as Ralph knew he needed someone he could trust to work in his parameters, which was keep up with the demand for what they were supplying. Ralph could have done Brandons job himself when he was younger, but you know, Ralph got into his 80's, had the cash, and wanted to semi retire. In walks Brandon.

I suspect the Pegulas will keep him for a bit, but i dont see Brandon here past next season because Kim will either be able to do that job herself, or theyll get their own guy. The Pegulas are billionaires, i dont see why they would want some other billionaires guy.

Brandon reminds me so much of Andrew Cuomo

Edited by mastershake

Seeing lots of character assassination towards Brandon today. I can only surmise he ran over your dog and then backed up and ran over it again.

Still, I'd like to know how it's possible to "speak out of turn" when it's in response to a direct question from the media about the very subject matter you are being accused of speaking out of turn about.

Pegula and yes men? Telling the public how it should be done? You lost me completely here. Does Brandon possess any redeemable trait that the Pegulas might leverage on the business side of the ledger or not? That's the question here. His impact on the bottom line suggests he does.

GO BILLS!!!

Perhaps you think you are being coy, but you're just coming off stupid.

Why would the man held most responsible by the public for the Toronto series want to be the guy to publicly announce it's end? Hmmm.

Why would the owner NOT want his vice president preaching continuity on the radio while he is still making his own organizational assessments? Lost, don't get it.

I mean, c'mon you offer a lot of interesting takes but don't act a fool like you can't understand that Russ is on a Russ promotional tour right now.

Does he have something to offer? Sure.

Is he irreplaceable? Hardly. The man with one good marketing eye could have been king in the environment Ralph had cultivated before he arrived.

The VERY BEST thing about Russ were his local ties.

If Pegula wants to keep him in a high position for being a proponent of regionalization while still keeping the team in Buffalo then I am fine with it as long as it has nothing to do with football decisions.

If he wants to fire him for whatever reason.....whether it's his football decisions, marketing decisions, support of the Golisano camp early in the bid process because of a greater chance of remaining in football control....whatever his reason...I am ok with it.

Russ isn't the worst but he has been a part of the problem.

Why would the man held most responsible by the public for the Toronto series want to be the guy to publicly announce it's end? Hmmm.

Why would the owner NOT want his vice president preaching continuity on the radio while he is still making his own organizational assessments? Lost, don't get it.

I mean, c'mon you offer a lot of interesting takes but don't act a fool like you can't understand that Russ is on a Russ promotional tour right now.

Does he have something to offer? Sure.

Is he irreplaceable? Hardly. The man with one good marketing eye could have been king in the environment Ralph had cultivated before he arrived.

The VERY BEST thing about Russ were his local ties.

If Pegula wants to keep him in a high position for being a proponent of regionalization while still keeping the team in Buffalo then I am fine with it as long as it has nothing to do with football decisions.

If he wants to fire him for whatever reason.....whether it's his football decisions, marketing decisions, support of the Golisano camp early in the bid process because of a greater chance of remaining in football control....whatever his reason...I am ok with it.

Russ isn't the worst but he has been a part of the problem.

Ah yes, the stupid card. Whenever an extreme position can't be supported it's the go-to play. Well done. A real testament to higher thinking, that.

Coy? I don't think so. It's an honest question. Brandon announced in the spring the Toronto series was placed on hold, the Pegulas said they were looking for a way to get out of it all together, and now you would have me believe that Brandon needed to get credit for what was a foregone conclusion for months? Credit for what? The phucking obvious?! And if he really is that insecure, I don't give two schits because it has no bearing on anything he may do for the franchise in the future. Nothing.

There are several reasons I can think of that a brand new owner, half way through a league year and a little more than a quarter through the season upon taking over, would want a message of continuity, Brandon's public campaign to defend his hires notwithstanding. But if that doesn't sit well with the Pegulas, we'll know soon enough. Did Brandon submit a list of questions to the media, though? Because I'm still trying to understand how he spoke out of turn in response to direct questions that gave him the platform in the first place.

I get that you and others can't say anything positive about a person that had the temerity to phuck up our favorite team for 16 years. I certainly don't point to Brandon's football acumen when discussing his contributions to the team. I just refuse to let one blind me to the other. That would be willful ignorance. And that is beyond stupid.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Because he knows most fans hate it now and he will look good as the guy who said it's over to a lot of fans who don't know he was responsible for it. Or think it was all Ralph. That's pretty obvious.

I agree with you that he is on a promotional tour now. But he's always on a promotional tour. That's a big part of his job. I don't believe a word he says, but think he's very good at his job and should stay. He just won't have as much power under any circumstance.

So people really think the Pegulas are going to let Russ play owner still?

It's still in season. They will proceed deliberately as they always do but they are going to be very involved, which means Russ will be losing some power.

The paychecks come from Pegula Sports and Entertainment not Russ Brandon Sports and Entertainment.

Terry and Kim are building an empire. That doesn't mean that Russ won't be a valuable asset to their team, but make no mistake that they will be making this very much their team.

As far as people laughing at Pegula bringing in his own management like he did when he bought the Sabres... Who is going to laugh? The 27-28 other NFL owners with less money than Pegula?

Great guy but if you think for a second he is going to be pushed around by anyone you should shoot Lafontaine an email and ask how that went.

I think people around the league laughing at him went out the window when he paid 1.4 billion dollars in CASH for his team. Anyone he brings in will be someone who knows how to bring in a lot of money.

Edited by TheFunPolice

It's still in season. They will proceed deliberately as they always do but they are going to be very involved, which means Russ will be losing some power.

The paychecks come from Pegula Sports and Entertainment not Russ Brandon Sports and Entertainment.

Terry and Kim are building an empire. That doesn't mean that Russ won't be a valuable asset to their team, but make no mistake that they will be making this very much their team.

As far as people laughing at Pegula bringing in his own management like he did when he bought the Sabres... Who is going to laugh? The 27-28 other NFL owners with less money than Pegula?

Great guy but if you think for a second he is going to be pushed around by anyone you should shoot Lafontaine an email and ask how that went.

I think people around the league laughing at him went out the window when he paid 1.4 billion dollars in CASH for his team. Anyone he brings in will be someone who knows how to bring in a lot of money.

I just want the team in the playoffs sooner rather then later. The way some lame decisions on the offensive side are still being made after two years shows me that should this coaching staff remain intact. That it will probably be a lot later.

If Russ Brandon is out of the football side of the house, why is he actively campaigning for Whaley and Marrone? Russ' job is apparently safe, yet he's been very vocal both on radio, television, and in print defending these guys and saying they need more time. And that was before his "change the culture" narrative was put out there.

And it doesn't appear he's seeking other opportunities, so it stands to reason his marketing campaign for the HC and GM is designed to improve his standing, which no longer includes football.

It seems to me that Brandon wants Whaley, Marrone to continue to report to him after this year... even though he doesn't make any "football" decisions. Edited by FeartheLosing

I don't think that anybody is debating that the Pegula's are in charge. They will be great owners. The point is that they are very fortunate to have a really talented exec at the helm. They are going to be replacing him with someone like Ted Black. They didn't get this far without making good business decisions. When you purchase a company you purchase it's assets and inherit the staff in place. You can do whatever you want with any of it. In addition you can be as involved or passive as you want. I'm debating how involved the Pegula's will be on running the day to day operation of the company. I believe that role will still fall to Russ. The decisions made will obviously be from Terry and Kim.

Russ is a used car saleman and not a football guy, what he thinks reguarding football decisions mean nothing.Marrone is a average coach who is brutal on his side of ball (offense).This guy will stick around for another year just because our standards are so low being 9-7 or 8-8 is something to be excited about.His game day decisions and and play calling on offence (he said not to blame Hackett) are brutal, almost every player on offence is worst now then before he was hired.Good coaches do not lose at home (lost against NE/SD AND KC) and was one play from a losing against Minnesota.Go win in NE and then you can talk about changing the culture, because that is something none of other coaches could do.

It's a very good line of questioning...

Is it likely that someone who just shelled out $1.4B for a franchise is going to be passive? Passive to the point that they accept the former owner's right-hand man at face-value and continue to run things his way (allow him to continue to play owner as you put it)?

From the other side, how likely is it that an employee, who spent 17 years working his way up to the very top rung of the power ladder, is going to a leap backwards and vacate a large percentage of his power? How often does that sort of transition in power in an individual's career work out perfectly smoothly for everyone?

As to the expertise and replacement cost point, if the position is defined to be executive management of the business side of a sports entertainment franchise only (which is what the consensus appears to be), then what are the chances the Pegulas do not know any highly capable and extremely intelligent business people with executive management pedigrees?

It's true that we should not discount Brandon's very successful work to leverage Ralph's asset. As the highest bidder bought this franchise for a record price, there is no doubt that Brandon "won the Super Bowl" for Ralph's heirs. On the other hand, what value do the Pegulas place on the work of positioning the business for sale going forward? Does the cancelling of the Toronto deal say anything?

It would seem the Pegulas do have a decision as to whether they want to plant the seeds of their own culture change sooner or maintain the status quo on various fronts within the organization.

It could be a very interesting off-season. Or not.

If Russ Brandon is out of the football side of the house, why is he actively campaigning for Whaley and Marrone?

He's a marketing guy. He says this for the same reason Microsoft says their products aren't buggy. Same reason Ford says their cars are reliable and McDonald's says their food is good.

He's a marketing guy. He says this for the same reason Microsoft says their products aren't buggy. Same reason Ford says their cars are reliable and McDonald's says their food is good.

Let's take another entertainment business: the movies.

Would you expect the industry to market a new movie by telling us

1. to go see the new movie XYZ and hyping how good it is, or
  2. how hard the director worked because he had to work through technical problems, script problems, bad weather, etc.?