Misconceptions about Terry Pegula

1B4IDie

Pegula dust? Lol.

I am a bigger sabres fan I'd say than bills fan. At least more knowledgeable. As a long time fan of over 30 years... the sabres are doing exactly what they should have done years ago. The run to the playoffs when pegula bought the team in the spring of 2011 muddied the picture. Thought that if r&r can make the playoffs... more money is directly correlated with winning a cup. Instead, in a cap league it just magnified regiers shortcomings.

The whitewash and building the prospect and pick pool is 100% what they needed and it is the best path to a decade plus of being a top team in the nhl.

It is different with the nfl though. You don't need as much time to develop players and build the system. Even if major changes are made there won't be a similar plan.

It is all the peripheral stuff too.

Player facilities, harbor center, most robust scouting budget in the league, willingness to eat salary if it helps the team, even the way they treat and respect players and staff. First class and that goes a long way. Very bob kraft like. Oh yeah and scored the nhl combine too. The arena also looks great.

It's foolish to just look at the current nhl standings and form a final opinion.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the deal. The Bills had ZERO Super Bowl wins before Pegula took over. They have ZERO Super Bowl wins since he became owner.

I think it's time we all came to the conclusion that NOTHING is going to change and that we're doomed to mediocrity (at most) forever.

Well said.

Here's the deal. The Bills had ZERO Super Bowl wins before Pegula took over. They have ZERO Super Bowl wins since he became owner.

I think it's time we all came to the conclusion that NOTHING is going to change and that we're doomed to mediocrity (at most) forever.

Again completely missing the point.

Peoples expectation on timing of a turn around are unrealistic. There will be more pain before things get better.

There is a sub cultural that thinks 2015 is going to be better because Pegula is the owner. That makes no sense.

2020 might be better, not 2015.

His wife is the one to profile, she'll be running things at OBD. This thread is largely irrelevant.

My take is this thread is born out of not knowing exactly what will transpire with the new owners after the season ends.

Russ Brandon has been spinning his shtick about continuity and that the new owners should give the current staff more time is a huge concern to us fans. I know its bothering me that even after new owners take over that football moron Brandon is still making football decisions.

Kim Pegula is already the teams new CEO (chief executive officer), and will start involving herself into the inner workings of the financial aspect of the club. We already know this positively!

What the new owners have stated is that they will hire an outside consultant, Accorsi, Holmgren, Wolf candidates to help Bills ownership transition http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24749471/pegulas-looking-to-bring-on-a-consultant-to-help-with-bills-transition

" They are also planning to restructure the franchise at some point as well, sources said, with more separation between the football side and the business side of the organization." :worthy:

If this is truly the case then you can expect that former big time meddler in Russ Brandon will keep his itchy fingers on the money- marketing side, and the Pegula's will hire a president of football operations after this season.

Considering how this season is shaping up I would think that new owners will make a lot of changes, as they have stated they want to win above all else.

I didn't say Pegula doesn't know what he is doing.

I said that Pegula is not going to snap his fingers and put a winner on the field tomorrow.

Which is the attitude of many posters.

And in the unlikely event that Brandon/Whaley/Marrone all get whacked in the off season. It only ensures 16 years of no playoffs.

Wrong on nearly every account. Bills have pretty decent talent for a change, but haven't turned the corner due to coaching and QB play. I can make a very strong argument that with better coaching of the offense, this team is in control of its destiny for a playoff spot this year. There's no reason they won't be competitive next year either, especially if they keep the defensive core intact and seriously address the offensive woes.,

A big reason the Bills have perennially sucked was due to the organization and management structure that Wilson put together. I don't think that Bills will have any problems recruiting top coaching talent anymore, and you won't have mythical roster and coaching meddling from Ft Lauderdale.

Wrong on nearly every account. Bills have pretty decent talent for a change, but haven't turned the corner due to coaching and QB play. I can make a very strong argument that with better coaching of the offense, this team is in control of its destiny for a playoff spot this year. There's no reason they won't be competitive next year either, especially if they keep the defensive core intact and seriously address the offensive woes.,

A big reason the Bills have perennially sucked was due to the organization and management structure that Wilson put together. I don't think that Bills will have any problems recruiting top coaching talent anymore, and you won't have mythical roster and coaching meddling from Ft Lauderdale.

Oh I was wrong then, Pegula will snap his fingers and magically make everything better.

I stand corrected.

A few things for the uninformed:

1) for crying out loud, please stop insisting that Russ Brandon makes--or has EVER made--football decisions. It's just false on every level, and is nothing more than a witch hunt. The closest thing he's done to a football decision was elevating Doug Whaley and setting the football budget.

2) this is the NFL, not the NHL, and a whole fortune turn-around doesn't take 5 years. Put the right coach and QB in place and you're in the playoffs; it's been proven time and time again.

3) not one thing has been decided for certain inside One Bills Drive, so anything said here indicating so is--at best--informed speculation.

The lack of coaches' interest imo has been the management structure

As I understand it, it's been more about uncertainty with ownership

Edited by thebandit27

1) for crying out loud, please stop insisting that Russ Brandon makes--or has EVER made--football decisions. It's just false on every level, and is nothing more than a witch hunt. The closest thing he's done to a football decision was elevating Doug Whaley and setting the football budget.

2) this is the NFL, not the NHL, and a whole fortune turn-around doesn't take 5 years. Put the right coach and QB in place and you're in the playoffs; it's been proven time and time again.

3) not one thing has been decided for certain inside One Bills Drive, so anything said here indicating so is--at best--informed speculation.

Do you believe Brandon was instrumental or only tangentially involved in hiring Marrone to be the HC?

You don't understand how the NHL lottery draft works. Having the worst record doesn't give you the highest percentage chance at the #1 overall pick.

Kim has just as much Football experience as Terry.

What do you imagine, Kim on the sidelines telling Marrone to put EJ in the game?

He has never held a position in an NFL front office or been involved in an NFL team in any capacity. That is what that means.

There are a number of posters where the conversation goes like this.

logical poster: "The offense is horrible."

illogical poster: "Terry Pegula will sprinkle Pegula dust on the offense and everything will work, just watch."

There is no such thing as Pegula dust.

The team needs a solid plan to get better on the field. I don't see one, I don't believe in Pegula dust. I may believe the plan when I see it.

While most of what you say is just mildly wrong your take on the NHL lottery is way off, two mega elite prospects are coming out and finishing last guarantees you one of them

Anyone who points to the Sabres current w/l record as evidence against Pegula doesn't understand the situation. It's that simple.

1) Pegula said he wanted to create "Hockey Heaven." He has since built the Harbor Center, which is a world-class hockey facility for youth and junior hockey, as well as collegiate hockey and numerous international hockey events. The NHL is bringing the draft back. The All-Star game is pretty much a shoo in as soon as they make a formal bid.

In short, Buffalo is on the map in a MAJOR way as an internationally known hockey town.

2) The Sabres are TRYING to lose, because losing means the next Crosby or the next Malkin. Either way, you get a superstar. Someone else said it, but I'm sure Colts fans aren't bitter about "sucking for Luck." You get superstars by being bad for a few years. That is what they are doing, by DESIGN. They have Reinhart, who will be very good. They have a TON of young exciting prospects.

One thing that is different about hockey is that you are drafting 18 year old kids, not 21/22 year olds like in the NFL. That means you draft a kid and he goes and plays in Siberia somewhere for a couple of years before he does anything for you (unless he is a Kane, Crosby, McDavid or Eichel type). People who are primarily football fans and don't understand how hockey teams are built will point to that and attack the team for not being better on the ice right NOW.

Pegula is laying the groundwork for a grand plan with the Sabres. It's how he became a multi-billionaire. He didn't just wake up one day rich. He set everything up, borrowed a few grand from relatives, and executed a plan. In the end, the payoff was huge.

It isn't about now. It's about 2-3 years from now when the team is stacked with YOUNG exciting players that will content for multiple cups, not just a one off run before everyone retires or walks.

When/if they get McDavid OR Eichel and a year or two go by the team will be a serious contender, Harbor Center will be in full swing, and Buffalo will be the new Hockey Town USA. And it won't be a one or two year run. Think the Drury/Briere years but for a decade or more.

It's going to be a LOT of fun!

BTW, the Sabres have THREE 1st round picks this season, and is the Islanders miss the playoffs their pick (which the Sabres hold) will go into the draft lottery as well. Ditto for the Blues, if they miss.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Anyone who points to the Sabres current w/l record as evidence against Pegula doesn't understand the situation. It's that simple.

1) Pegula said he wanted to create "Hockey Heaven." He has since built the Harbor Center, which is a world-class hockey facility for youth and junior hockey, as well as collegiate hockey and numerous international hockey events. The NHL is bringing the draft back. The All-Star game is pretty much a shoo in as soon as they make a formal bid.

In short, Buffalo is on the map in a MAJOR way as an internationally known hockey town.

2) The Sabres are TRYING to lose, because losing means the next Crosby or the next Malkin. Either way, you get a superstar. Someone else said it, but I'm sure Colts fans aren't bitter about "sucking for Luck." You get superstars by being bad for a few years. That is what they are doing, by DESIGN. They have Reinhart, who will be very good. They have a TON of young exciting prospects.

One thing that is different about hockey is that you are drafting 18 year old kids, not 21/22 year olds like in the NFL. That means you draft a kid and he goes and plays in Siberia somewhere for a couple of years before he does anything for you (unless he is a Kane, Crosby, McDavid or Eichel type). People who are primarily football fans and don't understand how hockey teams are built will point to that and attack the team for not being better on the ice right NOW.

Pegula is laying the groundwork for a grand plan with the Sabres. It's how he became a multi-billionaire. He didn't just wake up one day rich. He set everything up, borrowed a few grand from relatives, and executed a plan. In the end, the payoff was huge.

It isn't about now. It's about 2-3 years from now when the team is stacked with YOUNG exciting players that will content for multiple cups, not just a one off run before everyone retires or walks.

pardon_our_progress.jpg

As I understand it, it's been more about uncertainty with ownership

Russ Brandon after Marv Levy retired assumed his GM responsibilities, not to mention the meddling in a current HC coaching hire.

When/if they get McDavid OR Eichel and a year or two go by the team will be a serious contender, Harbor Center will be in full swing, and Buffalo will be the new Hockey Town USA. And it won't be a one or two year run. Think the Drury/Briere years but for a decade or more.

It's going to be a LOT of fun!

BTW, the Sabres have THREE 1st round picks this season, and is the Islanders miss the playoffs their pick (which the Sabres hold) will go into the draft lottery as well. Ditto for the Blues, if they miss.

agrees-your-argument.gif

Incorrect.

As a result of this change, the team earning the fewest points during the regular season will no longer be guaranteed, at worst, the second overall pick. That club could fall as low as fourth overall.

It's also a big mistake to assume some fantasy "fire them all" strategy will be enacted.

You missed one little detail, Bucko. That rule change doesn't take effect until the 2016 draft. So the Sabres are guaranteed McDavid or Eichel.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Just to be clear, keeping Miller, Pommers, Vanek, Ott ect and getting the 8th seed would be better than selling them off and using the picks to set up for long term success?

None of them were staying here, even after being offered top contracts, so the Sabres made the best decision for long term success and got great value for all of them. Sabres fans were up in arms when Drury and Briere left for nothing. The Sabres had a funny roster that featured great players but also several that barely belonged in the Buffalo beer leagues, now they are building a balanced roster that will contend for a cup.

Edited by NDBUFFCUSEFAN

I don't know anything about the Pegulas. But most new NFL owners tend to clean house.

I think you have seen that with Haslem and Khan most recently.

I would be surprised if the Pegulas don't do the same. Everyone wants to hire "their guys."

Especially when there is no compelling reason to keep the old guys around.

Kim Pegula likes to make decisions. If she is truly the one calling the shots then Russ is going to be very disappointed when he's back to marketing and has nothing to do with how the football team operates.

Russ Brandon after Marv Levy retired assumed his GM responsibilities, not to mention the meddling in a current HC coaching hire.

GM in title only--Modrak and Guy were making personnel decisions. I'm 100% certain of that (as are others on this board with more access to info from within OBD than myself).

Also, he wasn't meddling when it came to Marrone. He recommended Marrone be interviewed; the decision was Nix and Whaley all the way. I don't care if you believe me; it's the truth no matter what some want to think.

Can we officially declare this thread a failure?

We can declare the boring discussion of how great the Sabres are going to be in 2019 a stunningly useless argument in describing how the Buffalo Bills on the field product will improve in 2015.

Terry Pegula's ownership did not help the Sabres on ice product.

Why do people keep posting like he is going to do something to fix the Bills on field product?

He is a hands off kinda guy.

He is a business man that is going to help develop the City of Buffalo around the Bills.

He is not a football guy. He is not a hatchet man.

Get used to seeing Russ Brandon and Doug Whaley for a long time.

Terry is a savior to keep the team on Buffalo.

There is no reason to believe Terry and Kim Pegula are 1.) Going to make massive changes to the Bills Front Office 2.) Would even know what to do in order to improve the Bills on the field performance.

If we wanted to Frack Orchard Park, Terry is your man. If you want a winning football team well you better hope Terry and Kim 1.) Actually care about winning (Sabres point to no) 2.) Are interested in finding a "football guy" that can help them (all signs point to status quo.)

Terry Pegula is not some kind of Jerry Jones with more football acumen. You likely won't be hearing much or seeing the Pegulas do much in the football operations.

Sorry to burst your bubble but atleast the Bills are in Buffalo.

I agree. I don't expect huge, immediate changes to the "football operations"...only to things like ticket prices.

Incorrect.

As a result of this change, the team earning the fewest points during the regular season will no longer be guaranteed, at worst, the second overall pick. That club could fall as low as fourth overall.

It's also a big mistake to assume some fantasy "fire them all" strategy will be enacted.

Starting in 2016. You need to sharpen up your reading comprehension before you come up in here, big dick swinging, shooting everyone down when YOU are the one constantly incorrect in YOUR OWN THREAD!

my Lord.

Edited by JM57

Starting in 2016. You need to sharpen up your reading comprehension before you come up in here, big dick swinging, shooting everyone down when YOU are the one constantly incorrect in YOUR OWN THREAD!

my Lord.

How is Pegula going to improve the Bills on field product in 2015?

I don't know where you're headed with this. IMO the owner can if he pleases make any change he wants anytime he wants. That includes firing a OC. That was my only point.

What Pegula can do is not set a financial limit on what the franchise will pay for a topflight coach. That would represent a major change from the Ralph era.

What Pegula can do is not set a financial limit on what the franchise will pay for a topflight coach. That would represent a major change from the Ralph era.

For me that fact alone is a huge change in the teams mindset. Now with that said, who do you go after? IMO the names mentioned here constantly of retired coaches in the booth are not candidates I would choose.

Terry Pegula's ownership did not help the Sabres on ice product.

Why do people keep posting like he is going to do something to fix the Bills on field product?

He is a hands off kinda guy.

He is a business man that is going to help develop the City of Buffalo around the Bills.

He is not a football guy. He is not a hatchet man.

Get used to seeing Russ Brandon and Doug Whaley for a long time.

Terry is a savior to keep the team on Buffalo.

There is no reason to believe Terry and Kim Pegula are 1.) Going to make massive changes to the Bills Front Office 2.) Would even know what to do in order to improve the Bills on the field performance.

If we wanted to Frack Orchard Park, Terry is your man. If you want a winning football team well you better hope Terry and Kim 1.) Actually care about winning (Sabres point to no) 2.) Are interested in finding a "football guy" that can help them (all signs point to status quo.)

Terry Pegula is not some kind of Jerry Jones with more football acumen. You likely won't be hearing much or seeing the Pegulas do much in the football operations.

Sorry to burst your bubble but atleast the Bills are in Buffalo.

A businessman who doesn't provide the very best product possible is a bad businessman. Are you saying Pegula is a bad businessman?

A businessman who doesn't provide the very best product possible is a bad businessman. Are you saying Pegula is a bad businessman?

That is your opinion. The quality of the product and the sale of the product are very rarely linked. The best technology doesn't win the market if that were true why are there so many windows machines?

How is the on ice quality of the Sabres?

Oh yeah, just wait until the win the #1 or #2 pick by tanking then like maybe in 2019 they will be a force.

That is your opinion. The quality of the product and the sale of the product are very rarely linked. The best technology doesn't win the market if that were true why are there so many windows machines?

How is the on ice quality of the Sabres?

Oh yeah, just wait until the win the #1 or #2 pick by tanking then like maybe in 2019 they will be a force.

So, your contention is that he'll provide an inferior product and you'll continue to "buy" that product. Maybe you're really saying something about yourself? (and the rest of us)