Misconceptions about Terry Pegula

1B4IDie

Terry Pegula's ownership did not help the Sabres on ice product.

Why do people keep posting like he is going to do something to fix the Bills on field product?

He is a hands off kinda guy.

He is a business man that is going to help develop the City of Buffalo around the Bills.

He is not a football guy. He is not a hatchet man.

Get used to seeing Russ Brandon and Doug Whaley for a long time.

Terry is a savior to keep the team on Buffalo.

There is no reason to believe Terry and Kim Pegula are 1.) Going to make massive changes to the Bills Front Office 2.) Would even know what to do in order to improve the Bills on the field performance.

If we wanted to Frack Orchard Park, Terry is your man. If you want a winning football team well you better hope Terry and Kim 1.) Actually care about winning (Sabres point to no) 2.) Are interested in finding a "football guy" that can help them (all signs point to status quo.)

Terry Pegula is not some kind of Jerry Jones with more football acumen. You likely won't be hearing much or seeing the Pegulas do much in the football operations.

Sorry to burst your bubble but atleast the Bills are in Buffalo.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks the Sabres were a mess created by Darcy. One mistake Terry made is he trusted darcy. Once he realized it was a mistake he jettisoned him and brought in change. Now the sabres have a plan to rebuild the organization and a lot of that starts with farm teams as well as the big team. Hockey teams are not turned around in one draft it takes about 3 years to build it right. Hopefully Terry learned from Sabres woes tp make sure he has GM with a plan in place. Time will tell I am hopeful but concerned as well since the current GM made some of the choices we don't like

Why do people keep posting like he is going to do something to fix the Bills on field product?

He is a business man that is going to help develop the City of Buffalo around the Bills.

There is no reason to believe Terry and Kim Pegula are 1.) Going to make massive changes to the Bills Front Office 2.) Would even know what to do in order to improve the Bills on the field performance.

If we wanted to Frack Orchard Park, Terry is your man. If you want a winning football team well you better hope Terry and Kim 1.) Actually care about winning (Sabres point to no) 2.) Are interested in finding a "football guy" that can help them (all signs point to status quo.)

Terry Pegula is not some kind of Jerry Jones with more football acumen. You likely won't be hearing much or seeing the Pegulas do much in the football operations.

once again, Terry took over the Sabres in 2009/2010 season. The NHL and NFL are quite different in terms of rebuilding. Anyone expecting a playoff hockey team in this short amount of time, after Terry's purchase may have blinders on. The Sabres have done a lot to but the RIGHT people in the FO to turn this franchise around. NFL, well a team can vastly improve decent QB, or a competent coach.

You do realize the Sabres are purposely tanking, They have the number 1 talent pool and have a pretty good chance of getting the #1 pick. Which means Connor McDavid. This has been planned.

I can't believe there are people that don't know this.

The axe is being finely honed as we speak........

what does "he is not is not a football guy" mean?

Is it because he bought the Sabres first you think he does not love football?

I dont know, it amazed me how so many people KNOW what he is going to do....when is the last time someone on this board had a one on one with Terry or Kim...when is the last time the media for that matter ever got anything out of Terry ???

Just stop with these threads

You're right!! The Bills are only 2 - 3 since the Pegulas owned the Bills! We're doomed! Another 30 years of mediocrity!

You burst my bubble!

You do realize the Sabres are purposely tanking, They have the number 1 talent pool and have a pretty good chance of getting the #1 pick. Which means Connor McDavid. This has been planned.

I can't believe there are people that don't know this.

You don't understand how the NHL lottery draft works. Having the worst record doesn't give you the highest percentage chance at the #1 overall pick.

His wife is the one to profile, she'll be running things at OBD. This thread is largely irrelevant.

Kim has just as much Football experience as Terry.

What do you imagine, Kim on the sidelines telling Marrone to put EJ in the game?

I dont know, it amazed me how so many people KNOW what he is going to do....when is the last time someone on this board had a one on one with Terry or Kim...when is the last time the media for that matter ever got anything out of Terry ???

He has never held a position in an NFL front office or been involved in an NFL team in any capacity. That is what that means.

You're right!! The Bills are only 2 - 3 since the Pegulas owned the Bills! We're doomed! Another 30 years of mediocrity!

You burst my bubble!

There are a number of posters where the conversation goes like this.

logical poster: "The offense is horrible."

illogical poster: "Terry Pegula will sprinkle Pegula dust on the offense and everything will work, just watch."

There is no such thing as Pegula dust.

The team needs a solid plan to get better on the field. I don't see one, I don't believe in Pegula dust. I may believe the plan when I see it.

Edited by Why So Serious?

You don't understand how the NHL lottery draft works. Having the worst record doesn't give you the highest percentage chance at the #1 overall pick.

Kim has just as much Football experience as Terry.

What do you imagine, Kim on the sidelines telling Marrone to put EJ in the game?

He has never held a position in an NFL front office or been involved in an NFL team in any capacity. That is what that means.

There are a number of posters where the conversation goes like this.

logical poster: "The offense is horrible."

illogical poster: "Terry Pegula will sprinkle Pegula dust on the offense and everything will work, just watch."

There is no such thing as Pegula dust.

The team needs a solid plan to get better on the field. I don't see one, I don't believe in Pegula dust. I may believe the plan when I see it.

This is completely and utterly false. While it doesn't guarantee the first overall pick, it certainly does give you the highest percentage chance at the first overall pick. That is, unless the NHL doesn't even know your little secret.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728795

The axe is being finely honed as we speak........

Anyone that follows the NHL is acutely aware that the Sabres have one of the top 3 most talented systems in the game.

They have a respected GM in Tim Murray.

They have 3 first round picks in a loaded draft; one of which will very likely guarantee them a generational talent in McDavid or Eichel.

You also are 100% wrong about the lottery odds--worst team has a 30% chance or so, highest of any team.

I know exactly how the NHL draft lottery works. The team that finishes with the fewest points gets better odds at the number 1 pick. I know it doesn't gurantee it, but you have to at least finish last to get those odds. Even if they don't finish last they have 3 picks in the first round.

You completely ignored the fact that they have the number 1 talent pool according to mutiple NHL sources. Add in the 3 first rounds picks and even if they don't get Connor McDavid they are going to be absolutely LOADED with talent.

This has been planned.

pro sports today is all about business, not a hobby for the rich like it once was, Terry P understands the bottom line, winning =revenue, so with that said you have a younger owner with profit and loss sense, bottom line is this thing can only get better for both teams, but it takes time, did Jones win at the start no, what he did was build a winner by building a team, from the top not the bottom, maybe be we all should be "patient" and give the man a chance to do what he does best, be a "successful" business man, that the rest will all fall into place

Wrong. Finishing last overall DOES give you the highest percentage chance of the #1 pick. However that chance is 20%. It is still higher than all other lottery teams. Finishing last overall also gurantees they pick either #1 (McDavid) or #2 (Eichel) so they'll be just fine since either could justifiably go #1.

Lets be honest here...........

We have no idea what the Pegulas will do. Its a big mistake to predict a new NFL owners course of action bases on Hockey operations.

The NFL is the world's BIG BOY CLUB, unlike the NHL.

I predict changes based on the Bills final record. Common sense says There will be some changes on Offense

A new head coach may be considered behind closed doors and the final discion will most likely be determined by which coaches become available.

EXAMPLE: If Bill Cowher says he would be willing to coach the Buffalo Bills then Doug Marrone is most likely history.

--

Edited by HOUSE

Wrong. Finishing last overall DOES give you the highest percentage chance of the #1 pick. However that chance is 20%. It is still higher than all other lottery teams. Finishing last overall also gurantees they pick either #1 (McDavid) or #2 (Eichel) so they'll be just fine since either could justifiably go #1.

Incorrect.

As a result of this change, the team earning the fewest points during the regular season will no longer be guaranteed, at worst, the second overall pick. That club could fall as low as fourth overall.

It's also a big mistake to assume some fantasy "fire them all" strategy will be enacted.

Sabres # 1 for a 2nd straight year in terms of prospects. They still have 3 1st round picks coming in 2015. It will take time for the Sabres.

The Bills just need money spent off the field. Coaching and front office. Get that done and then watch the Bills start winning games.

Hockey’s Future presents the top group of the 2014-15 Fall NHL team rankings. The teams are ranked by the overall quality of their prospect pool as voted on by the HF staff. For reference, the top five prospects are listed. To be eligible, a prospect must meet HF’s prospect criteria. The ranking is done twice a year, in the Fall and Spring. Each team’s rank from the previous rankings is listed in parentheses.

The rebuilding Buffalo Sabres lead the Fall rankings. The Sabres added nine prospects to their system via the 2014 NHL Draft, including the dynamic Sam Reinhart. They have depth and skill at every position, and while the current NHL squad is struggling, the future is bright.

Several of the top teams have risen several spots since the Spring, namely the Calgary Flames, New York Islanders, and Florida Panthers. All three teams not only added high quality talent from the 2014 NHL Draft, but have also seen positive growth in their prospect pool.

1. (1) Buffalo Sabres

Strengths: The Buffalo Sabres are going through a painful rebuild right now but the long-term future looks very bright for the organization. There is high-end talent at every position, but the Sabres are particularly flush at forward. Sam Reinhart leads a deep group of centers that also includes the big and skilled Mikhail Grigorenko and the speedy, hardworking JT Compher. Both wings are also very deep and varied in talent, with Justin Bailey, Joel Armia, Nick Baptiste, Hudson Fasching, and Brendan Lemieux all bringing a mix of size and skill. The organization does not have the same level of depth on defense as they do at forward, but they are still very deep on the blue line and have several very promising defensive prospects in Rasmus Ristolainen, Nikita Zadorov, and Jake McCabe. Andrey Makarov leads a fairly deep pool of goaltending prospects.

Weaknesses: Picking early and often in the last three NHL Drafts has left the Sabres with few major weaknesses in their prospect pool. The team could probably stand to upgrade their goaltending, and they could definitely use a franchise center to hasten the rebuild, but the prospect pool is extremely deep and trending in the right direction.

Top 5 Prospects: 1. Sam Reinhart, C; 2. Rasmus Ristolainen, D; 3. Nikita Zadorov, D; 4. Mikhail Grigorenko, C; 5. Jake McCabe, D.

Key Additions: Sam Reinhart (2014), Brendan Lemieux (2014)

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/114569/team-rankings-rebuilding-buffalo-sabres-still-have-nhls-top-prospect-pool/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=team-rankings-rebuilding-buffalo-sabres-still-have-nhls-top-prospect-pool

Incorrect.

As a result of this change, the team earning the fewest points during the regular season will no longer be guaranteed, at worst, the second overall pick. That club could fall as low as fourth overall.

It's also a big mistake to assume some fantasy "fire them all" strategy will be enacted.

WRONG...for this year. Afetr this draft, that changes..but this year finish last and you are guaranteed no lower than 2nd, just like last year.

I know exactly how the NHL draft lottery works. The team that finishes with the fewest points gets better odds at the number 1 pick. I know it doesn't gurantee it, but you have to at least finish last to get those odds. Even if they don't finish last they have 3 picks in the first round.

You completely ignored the fact that they have the number 1 talent pool according to mutiple NHL sources. Add in the 3 first rounds picks and even if they don't get Connor McDavid they are going to be absolutely LOADED with talent.

This has been planned.

My mistake.

I fired off too quickly.

Tanking doesn't significantly help you get the #1 overall seed if you are already a bad team.

Not to mention that you are saying that Terry Pegula is the kind of owner that wants their team to Tank.

I don't agree the Sabres are tanking. I think the players on the team just suck.

What does having the #1 farm team has to do with Pegula fixing the Bills on the field problems?

Will the Bills have the #1 Farm team too?

First off thank god Pegula is no Jerry Jones that guy is the biggest ass in pro sports !!

But Pegula didn't get to where he is by winning the lotto , he's no dummy so i say time will tell !!

I don't agree the Sabres are tanking. I think the players on the team just suck.

What does having the #1 farm team has to do with Pegula fixing the Bills on the field problems?

Will the Bills have the #1 Farm team too?

You think Tim Murray put this team together to win? Ha. Not a chance. This team is built to tank.

What does it have to do with the Bills and Pegula? You brought up the Sabres to prove a point that Pegula doesn't know what he's doing. He know exactly what he's doing. The team needed a complete rebuild. He understands that, as does Murray. They are sacrificing 2 year years for what could be 10 years of success for the Sabres. They are working the NHL system.

How does that relate to the NFL? Ask Colts fans if they're upset about tanking their season for Luck.

The misconception here might be that you don't undestand or maybe you don't like how Pegula is handling the Sabres situation. I do. I like what he's doing and am willing to be patient. I'm completely confident he will do what's needed for the Bills as well based on how he's handled the Sabres situation.

You think Tim Murray put this team together to win? Ha. Not a chance. This team is built to tank.

What does it have to do with the Bills and Pegula? You brought up the Sabres to prove a point that Pegula doesn't know what he's doing. He know exactly what he's doing. The team needed a complete rebuild. He understands that, as does Murray. They are sacrificing 2 year years for what could be 10 years of success for the Sabres. They are working the NHL system.

How does that relate to the NFL? Ask Colts fans if they're upset about tanking their season for Luck.

The misconception here might be that you don't undestand or maybe you don't like how Pegula is handling the Sabres situation. I do. I like what he's doing and am willing to be patient. I'm completely confident he will do what's needed for the Bills as well based on how he's handled the Sabres situation.

I didn't say Pegula doesn't know what he is doing.

I said that Pegula is not going to snap his fingers and put a winner on the field tomorrow.

Which is the attitude of many posters.

And in the unlikely event that Brandon/Whaley/Marrone all get whacked in the off season. It only ensures 16 years of no playoffs.

Something to ponder regarding Pegula, the entire NFL (players, coaches and owners) and the hounds in the media will be watching what kind of owner will Pegula be; remember perception is reality with the media. Will he be a reactionary owner or the wait and assess kind of owner?

Coaches and FO men will be watching very closely how they manage things with Whaley and Marrone, those are the men that Pegula will try to lure to work for him in the future.

I said that Pegula is not going to snap his fingers and put a winner on the field tomorrow.

And in the unlikely event that Brandon/Whaley/Marrone all get whacked in the off season. It only ensures 16 years of no playoffs.

That's not what you said in the OP. You said "Terry Pegula's ownership did not help the Sabres on ice product."

Which couldn't be further from the truth. Did he make sweeping changes at first? No. He didn't think they needed to and the Sabres were competive for the first couple years. But then he realised that they weren't as good as they could be, the talent level wasnt that high and he did make sweeping changes. Fired Reiger hired Murray and set forth a plan to rebuild from the bottom up. You don't think Pegula approved that plan?

Is the Bills situation the same? No not really. Apples and Oranges. The Bills have the talent, except for at QB. They probably need better coaching more than anything else. A great coach can make crap QB better, see Arians and Kelly.

That's not what you said in the OP. You said "Terry Pegula's ownership did not help the Sabres on ice product."

Which couldn't be further from the truth.

You sure about that?

What is the Sabres winning percentage the last 100 or so games

The On Ice products sucks.

I'm not buying futures. I'm talking about today.

Damned if you fire everyone and guarantee 16 years of no playoffs, and damned if you don't fire anyone, and sustain mediocrity. Doesn't sound as if Pegula can win in your book, maybe he should quit while he is ahead?

All joking aside, we have no idea what Mr. Pegula or his wife will do. RIP Mr. Wilson, but we have been 14 years with no playoffs. The biggest change we could make was a change at Owner. Hopefully a new Owner will shake things up a little bit, and get us out of this rut. Maybe he won't shake anything up and we will fumble around as the continued joke of the NFL, that's just too depressing, and I would rather be optimistic. It really is the best chance we have had to break this drought though.

Damned if you fire everyone and guarantee 16 years of no playoffs, and damned if you don't fire anyone, and sustain mediocrity. Doesn't sound as if Pegula can win in your book, maybe he should quit while he is ahead?

All joking aside, we have no idea what Mr. Pegula or his wife will do. RIP Mr. Wilson, but we have been 14 years with no playoffs. The biggest change we could make was a change at Owner. Hopefully a new Owner will shake things up a little bit, and get us out of this rut. Maybe he won't shake anything up and we will fumble around as the continued joke of the NFL, that's just too depressing, and I would rather be optimistic. It really is the best chance we have had to break this drought though.

16 years of no playoffs isn't bad outright. if there is a plan in place but again there is no Pegula dust.

We are stuck in the Mud and Pegula just pulled up in a limo and is looking at the situation. There is still no plan to get out of the rut and it is silly to think it's just magically going to be better next year.

Fired Reiger hired Murray and set forth a plan to rebuild from the bottom up. You don't think Pegula approved that plan?

dude is doing one of the most cynical things a team's owner can do -- starving the team of talent so that they lose while selling fans hope. it's awful to root for a team like that, much less pay money to watch them. hopefully the sabres experience taught him the importance to get the right people in place quickly. if he makes no moves this off season then ends up firing marrone and whaley after next season, i'll lose my mind. i'm sick of waiting for the winning.

get your coach and gm right (whether if it's this group or someone else) this off-season, commit to a larger plan to get the team in the playoffs quickly (hint: it involves finding a quarterback) and stick with it.

dude is doing one of the most cynical things a team's owner can do -- starving the team of talent so that they lose while selling fans hope. it's awful to root for a team like that, much less pay money to watch them. hopefully the sabres experience taught him the importance to get the right people in place quickly. if he makes no moves this off season then ends up firing marrone and whaley after next season, i'll lose my mind. i'm sick of waiting for the winning.

get your coach and gm right (whether if it's this group or someone else) this off-season, commit to a larger plan to get the team in the playoffs quickly (hint: it involves finding a quarterback) and stick with it.

You have it all backwards. Its amazing how many fans are clueless when it comes to the Sabres.

Incorrect.

That change does not happen until the 2016 draft. When the Sabres finish last this season, they will pick no worst than 2nd overall in the 2015 draft. That guarantees they will land either McDavid or Eichel. They also have two other 1st round picks in 2015 to add to what is already considered to be the best pool of prospects among all NHL teams. The Sabres future is very bright.

Sabres # 1 for a 2nd straight year in terms of prospects. They still have 3 1st round picks coming in 2015. It will take time for the Sabres.

http://www.hockeysfu...p-prospect-pool

You have it all backwards. Its amazing how many fans are clueless when it comes to the Sabres.

yeah, you're right, they're not selling hope. how are the 2016 prospects looking?

16 years of no playoffs isn't bad outright. if there is a plan in place but again there is no Pegula dust.

We are stuck in the Mud and Pegula just pulled up in a limo and is looking at the situation. There is still no plan to get out of the rut and it is silly to think it's just magically going to be better next year.

On this you are right. The full impact of Pegula taking over probably won't be reflected by next year, however your OP has the sense of Pegula never having an impact, and we will sustain mediocrity more than just next year.

I believe Pegula will have more of an impact than that. No I don't know his plan yet, nor do I think he has one yet, but he is bringing in someone to evaluate, so he does plan on doing something. I think people like the fact that he and Kim don't know, so they will keep their hands off, and put the right people pieces in place to make this team a competitor.

Edited by What a Tuel

This troll thread is the perfect illustration of the downside of the Internet. Even ESPN would blush at the content and there is not even enough to fill a single tweet.

Makes me side against net neutrality.

Anyone that follows the NHL is acutely aware that the Sabres have one of the top 3 most talented systems in the game.

They have a respected GM in Tim Murray.

They have 3 first round picks in a loaded draft; one of which will very likely guarantee them a generational talent in McDavid or Eichel.

You also are 100% wrong about the lottery odds--worst team has a 30% chance or so, highest of any team.

Agreed...

All anyone has to do is Google "Top NHL Organizational Prospect Rankings" and the Sabres come up #1 on almost every list...

Here's a quote from one of those many lists...

"The Buffalo Sabres have been bad at the NHL level for a few years now, but one thing they have done well is stockpile draft picks and prospects galore. This has resulted in the deepest prospect pool we have seen in the three years of our top shelf series, and with owning the Islanders 2015 first-rounder (along with their own), in what looks like an excellent draft class, there is more on the way."

This troll thread is the perfect illustration of the downside of the Internet. Even ESPN would blush at the content and there is not even enough to fill a single tweet.

Makes me side against net neutrality.

So you believe in Pegula dust?

Good luck with that.

Everyone is aware of the irrelevant top ratings of the Sabres farm system which still has nothing to do with improving the Bills on the field performance.

So you believe in Pegula dust?

Good luck with that.

Everyone is aware of the irrelevant top ratings of the Sabres farm system which still has nothing to do with improving the Bills on the field performance.

You're definitely right about that...No question...

But what it does prove is that the Pegula run organization realized they needed to come up with a pretty radical plan to reconstruct the entire Organization from the GM down...And it's a tough plan for fans to swallow...The plan has unquestionably led to the team stockpiling a ton of young talent, while giving them great odds at getting one of the two highest rated prospects to come out in many, many years...

So...objectively...I think it can be said that a Pegula run organization is capable of making the right moves to give a team the opportunity to turn around in a big way...It remains to be seen how it's going to work out with the Sabres...And no one has a clue how or what the Pegula's are going to do with the Bills...That can't be argued...But I think what he has allowed to happen on the Hockey side took enormous balls...And what more can we ask for as fans other than Ownership giving us the opportunity to be very good in time? There are always a million variables that can derail a plan...But the better the plan the less possibility of failure...I think the Sabres have a hell of a good plan right now...And should they land McDavid, or even Eichel (which is all but a certainty at this point because the Sabres are WELL on their way to finishing with the fewest points in the NHL), that team takes a HUGE step towards being good for many, many years to come... B-)