Jeremy White: All-22 Review - Bills at Jets

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think White makes a strong case that it's not whether you are right or wrong, but simply that you and Hackett/Marrone disagree about the game plan. Your plan might be great too, but it's hard to say their's sucked when they won by 20 points.

Actually I completely understand that. The guys I watch the games with I was saying this is the first time I have ever felt this way in 50 years of watching the Bills (not anything but thrilled with a 20 point win). And I actually am thrilled with 90% of that game. But I think White made a terrible case for his argument, that is why I was ridiculing it, not the argument itself. That's self-evident. Pointing out how successful they were the few times they were unpredictable, while saying that they should throw more to Watkins because no one can cover or stop him, especially early before they established the run, run tendency, begs for more passes to Watkins, not showing how smart they were.

This article touches on how we were conservative with the "lead" and thus "smart". What happens when the game is "close" is as follows:

1st Quarter Plays called (run/pass):

1st possession: Tie game: 0-0 – Run, Run, Pass – Incomplete but penalty gives us first down to continue drive. Then Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass (sack), Pass – TD.

2nd possession: Winning: 7-0 – Run, Pass, Pass – Punt

3rd possession: Winning: 7-0 – Run, Run, Pass – Punt (Are we protecting this lead already?)

4th possession: Winning: 7-0 – We get the ball at Jets 1 yd line: Pass – TD

2nd Quarter plays called (run/pass):

5th possession: Winning: 14 – 7 – Pass, Run, Pass (84yd bomb), Run, Run – TD

6th possession: Winning: 21 – 7 – Run, Pass, Pass – Punt (No complaints)

7th possession: Winning 21 – 7 – Run, Run, Pass – FG (It’s the 2nd quarter of an NFL game – too early to protect anything - Horrible)

8th possession: Winning 24 – 14 – Run, Pass, Run – Punt (We’re up 10 pts in the 2nd quarter – are we really protecting anything in the 2nd quarter of an NFL game? - Horrible)

3rd Quarter plays called (run/pass):

9th possession: Winning 24 – 17 – Pass, Run, Pass – Punt

10th possession: Winning 24 – 17 – Run, Run, Pass – FG (Up 1 score in the 3rd quarter – what exactly are we “protecting” early in the 3rd quarter of a game? – Horrible)

11th possession: Winning 27 – 17 – Run, Run, Pass – Punt (we’re up a wopping 10 points in the 3rd quarter and we’re “protecting” here? – Horrible)

12th possession: Winning 27 – 17 – Run, Run, Pass – FG (AGAIN – we’re up 10pts in the 3rd quarter and still protecting that insurmountable lead – Horrible)

13th possession: Winning 30 – 17 – Run (end of quarter)

4th Quarter plays called (run/pass):

13th possession (cont’d): Winning 30 – 17 – Run, Pass – TD

14th possession: Winning 37 – 17 (OK, now it’s the 4th quarter and you’re up more than two scores – now is the time where you just “protect” the score, IMO) – Run, Run, Run, Run, Pass (61yds) – TD

15th possession: Winning 43 – 23 – Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Kneel. Game OVER.

Look at the above for 1 minute and think about what you’re looking at. I bolded the 3rd quarter b/c that was the KEY quarter that was a complete abomination of play calling. We are up by a whopping 7 points and 10 points and look at our play calling. Are we really protecting a 7 point lead to start the 3rd quarter? Are we really protecting a 10 point lead, ON THE ROAD, midway through the 3rd quarter? It’s 7 and 10 pts, not 21 and 24 points.

Look at the 2nd quarter too. What are we possibly “protecting” in the 2nd quarter of a game when the other team is still within 2 scores. It wasn’t 35 – 3 in the 2nd quarter.

Prior to the game being completely out of control in the 4th quarter at 37 – 17, the play calling had already been an abomination – and that’s the problem. Out of 13 drives prior to the game being out of control in the 4th quarter – NH called Run, Run, Pass 7 times.

Predictability. Lack of creativity. That's this offense's problem. We won and that's freaking awesome. We also had 6 turnovers which happens about once every 3-5years maybe. If we're going to continue to improve as a team, we need to improve the play calling. That's all I'm saying with respect to NH.

You got it right there.

I couldn't care less what the pass to run ratio is. What I don't like is them going into a shell in the 3rd quarter, while in the Red Zone, while it's still a 2 score game. That's just playing way too scared. That kind of approach can have a bad effect on the player's psyche, and attitude.

It's playing not to lose, and I don't want a team that plays with that attitude.

I am curious how all the defenders of the approach they took will respond if/when the team gets beaten by an opponent in a comeback. Will they acknowledge that maybe this staff plays too close to the vest? I doubt it. Instead they will come up with some other reason for the failure....

This article touches on how we were conservative with the "lead" and thus "smart". What happens when the game is "close" is as follows:

1st possession: Tie game: 0-0 – Run, Run, Pass – Incomplete but penalty gives us first down to continue drive. Then Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass (sack), Pass – TD.

3rd possession: Winning: 7-0 – Run, Run, Pass – Punt (Are we protecting this lead already?)

7th possession: Winning 21 – 7 – Run, Run, Pass – FG (It’s the 2nd quarter of an NFL game – too early to protect anything - Horrible)

8th possession: Winning 24 – 14 – Run, Pass, Run – Punt (We’re up 10 pts in the 2nd quarter – are we really protecting anything in the 2nd quarter of an NFL game? - Horrible)

10th possession: Winning 24 – 17 – Run, Run, Pass – FG (Up 1 score in the 3rd quarter – what exactly are we “protecting” early in the 3rd quarter of a game? – Horrible)

11th possession: Winning 27 – 17 – Run, Run, Pass – Punt (we’re up a wopping 10 points in the 3rd quarter and we’re “protecting” here? – Horrible)

12th possession: Winning 27 – 17 – Run, Run, Pass – FG (AGAIN – we’re up 10pts in the 3rd quarter and still protecting that insurmountable lead – Horrible)

14th possession: Winning 37 – 17 (OK, now it’s the 4th quarter and you’re up more than two scores – now is the time where you just “protect” the score, IMO) – Run, Run, Run, Run, Pass (61yds) – TD

Look at the above for 1 minute and think about what you’re looking at. I bolded the 3rd quarter b/c that was the KEY quarter that was a complete abomination of play calling. We are up by a whopping 7 points and 10 points and look at our play calling. Are we really protecting a 7 point lead to start the 3rd quarter? Are we really protecting a 10 point lead, ON THE ROAD, midway through the 3rd quarter? It’s 7 and 10 pts, not 21 and 24 points.

Look at the 2nd quarter too. What are we possibly “protecting” in the 2nd quarter of a game when the other team is still within 2 scores. It wasn’t 35 – 3 in the 2nd quarter.

Prior to the game being completely out of control in the 4th quarter at 37 – 17, the play calling had already been an abomination – and that’s the problem. Out of 13 drives prior to the game being out of control in the 4th quarter – NH called Run, Run, Pass 7 times.

Predictability. Lack of creativity. That's this offense's problem. We won and that's freaking awesome. We also had 6 turnovers which happens about once every 3-5years maybe. If we're going to continue to improve as a team, we need to improve the play calling. That's all I'm saying with respect to NH.

Focusing on the highlighted series in the third quarter, what was so bad about the 9th possession (pass, run, pass)? I don't see how that was predictable or conservative. They passed on first which is apparently what people calling for his head want him to do and it resulted in a sack for a 6 yard loss setting up 2nd and 16 at their own 14 yard line. The "predictable" thing to do would be to pass the ball again on second down but instead he ran the ball for a 1 yard gain. They threw on third down for 14 yards and came up a yard short. I don't see why that was a series to include as an argument against the OC.

In the next series they ran on first but gained four yards. They ran again on second which didn't work but lots of teams wouldn't hesitate to run after picking up 4 on first down, its how you keep your third downs manageable but more to the point, it was only the third time in the entire game that they ran on first and second down. The next series they ran on first and picked up 5 yards. Running again when you have two downs to pick up 5 yards is not exactly crazy. They gained 3 more on second setting up a third and two. the conservative and predictable thing to do would have been to run on 3rd and 2 but instead, to be creative and unpredictable, they passed and Orton was sacked.

The next series was another run, run, pass sequence but it ended in a touchdown so I am not sure why that would be a subject of complaint. We ran on first for only a yard. What would be more conservative and predictable on 2nd and 9, to run or pass? I think most teams would pass facing 2nd and 10. Hacket ran which, in my view, is more creative than passing on 2nd and long.

Our O-line was playing poorly, the defense was playing lights out. We were playing against a team whose best card is their pass rush and our QB had already taken a number of solid sacks. By the middle of the third quarter, it was clear our defense had figured out how to defend Vick. Oh and by the way, our quarterback is Kyle Orton. Not Tom Brady, not Peyton Manning but Kyle freaking Orton. There were lots of sound reasons why an OC would have wanted to try to get the run going in the second half. Afterall, lots of the same people complaining now have in the past complained that the OC wasn't giving the run a chance and that we should run more.

I can't say I am thrilled with Hacket as our OC but at this point, I have to say to those who would like to can him that I can't think of many or even any situations where firing an OC half way through the season dramatically improved a teams ability to make the playoffs that same year. Has that ever happened? And to do it after a road win against a team you haven't beaten on the road in years and after your team scored over 40 points seems, well, a tiny bit whacko.

I don't know about that. The first point he makes is Sammy is unstoppable and the Bills should target him more.

Which is what the Hackett detractors are saying.

His next point is, look at how good this pass play worked on first down to Woods.

Which is what the Hackett detractors are saying, throw more on first down.

Then he shows more pass plays that were awesome.

Ummmm...

Thank you for making this point.

My issue with the scheme is that the offense doesn't appear to dictate to the defense. Hackett's offense waits to get the look it wants to attack instead of scheming different sets & formations to make the opponent adjust into the mismatch that he wants to see, ie. Reid, Payton, etc...

I truly understand the importance of a ground game but show some movement & creativity...they finally incorporated a WAM block last game for #38's TD (Brilliant!).

Every team has the same play but timings everything. Just look back on the year Sean Payton was suspended, same players, same plays but the interim coach didn't have a feel for the game or when to pull the trigger...that's what I sense about Hackett. I'm really hoping that I'm wrong.

Are we also angry that the 13th possession (run, run, pass) ended in a TD? Are we seriously complaining that 3 drives had 2 runs then a pass? And that's predictable? How about completing a pass? How about getting 5 yards on one of those runs? Too much to ask for?

Edited by FireChan

I so agree w/ this. I know JW puts plenty of work into these, but he really provides little insight.Anyone with an Internet connection and the time can do this. How about JW watches the All-22 of every game of KC, then tell us how the Chiefs will attack. Or better yet, just go away. His show is horrible.

I disagree. This week's edition was really good. Check out that final montage JW did of failed run plays: Pears falls down while pulling. Seantrel completely whiffs on a straight-ahead block. And my favorite: Urbik and Wood open up a big hole, Bryce Brown has it right in front of him, but Brown inexplicably tries to cut back to his right, and runs right into the pile for zero gain. All he had to do is run it straight ahead for a minimum 6 yard gain, maybe more. Just a comedy of errors. Jw doesn't have to say a whole lot about it since his smart editing/presentation says it all. Yes, I could watch the All 22 myself, but I have a life, and my job is not sports analyst. I live in Colorado and I wish one of our local reporters would do the same thing for the Broncos. Thanks, Jeremy White!

Focusing on the highlighted series in the third quarter, what was so bad about the 9th possession (pass, run, pass)? I don't see how that was predictable or conservative. They passed on first which is apparently what people calling for his head want him to do and it resulted in a sack for a 6 yard loss setting up 2nd and 16 at their own 14 yard line. The "predictable" thing to do would be to pass the ball again on second down but instead he ran the ball for a 1 yard gain. They threw on third down for 14 yards and came up a yard short. I don't see why that was a series to include as an argument against the OC.

In the next series they ran on first but gained four yards. They ran again on second which didn't work but lots of teams wouldn't hesitate to run after picking up 4 on first down, its how you keep your third downs manageable but more to the point, it was only the third time in the entire game that they ran on first and second down. The next series they ran on first and picked up 5 yards. Running again when you have two downs to pick up 5 yards is not exactly crazy. They gained 3 more on second setting up a third and two. the conservative and predictable thing to do would have been to run on 3rd and 2 but instead, to be creative and unpredictable, they passed and Orton was sacked.

The next series was another run, run, pass sequence but it ended in a touchdown so I am not sure why that would be a subject of complaint. We ran on first for only a yard. What would be more conservative and predictable on 2nd and 9, to run or pass? I think most teams would pass facing 2nd and 10. Hacket ran which, in my view, is more creative than passing on 2nd and long.

Our O-line was playing poorly, the defense was playing lights out. We were playing against a team whose best card is their pass rush and our QB had already taken a number of solid sacks. By the middle of the third quarter, it was clear our defense had figured out how to defend Vick. Oh and by the way, our quarterback is Kyle Orton. Not Tom Brady, not Peyton Manning but Kyle freaking Orton. There were lots of sound reasons why an OC would have wanted to try to get the run going in the second half. Afterall, lots of the same people complaining now have in the past complained that the OC wasn't giving the run a chance and that we should run more.

I can't say I am thrilled with Hacket as our OC but at this point, I have to say to those who would like to can him that I can't think of many or even any situations where firing an OC half way through the season dramatically improved a teams ability to make the playoffs that same year. Has that ever happened? And to do it after a road win against a team you haven't beaten on the road in years and after your team scored over 40 points seems, well, a tiny bit whacko.

Very well put. Of all the things I have read, this has eased my mind the most in regards to what appeared and felt like very conservative playcalling on the day. Thank you.

To step away from the fire/save Hackett debate for a moment...

Props to Boobie Dixon...he may not have had success running the ball, but Jeremy's All-22

showed me why Boobie will probably continue to get the majority of the snaps until Fred gets

back. And it's not because Bryce missed that giant hole. It's because Anthony does all of the

things that don't show up in the stats, as coaches are known to say, but are very important for

success. You can see it in the videos on the All-22 review. A few examples:

On the nice pass to Woods, Boobie runs hard out of the backfield, cuts to his left maybe 2 or 3

yards past the line of scrimmage (10 yards in front of Robert), and throws his hand up as if to say

I'm open. The play isn't going to him and he knows it. But his actions draw the LB down to cover him,

opening the front of the hole in the zone for Woods to slip into. And now there is no LB for Kyle to

throw over. This was a nice play, with Sammy taking the top off the zone by running a fly pattern

on the same side.

On Woods' touchdown, a Jets LB is coming on the blitz. There is a big hole in the line, yet

he inexplicably tries to go around one of his teammates (who is being well blocked) to the other

side. He gets tangled up there, taking himself out of the play. Why would he do that, I thought.

Then I watched the play again and you can see Boobie coming from the left of the screen, with

a full head of steam for the hole. To me, at least, it looked like the LB wanted no part of Boobie.

On the bomb to Sammy from their own goalpost, you can't see him finish his block, but you can

see him throwing himself into the fray with the big bodies.

Bryce will get his carries, no doubt, and I hope he does well for both the Bills and my fantasy

team, but Boobie will probably continue to be out there more---more so for what he does without

the football in his hands.

I don't know about that. The first point he makes is Sammy is unstoppable and the Bills should target him more.

Which is what the Hackett detractors are saying.

His next point is, look at how good this pass play worked on first down to Woods.

Which is what the Hackett detractors are saying, throw more on first down.

Then he shows more pass plays that were awesome.

Ummmm...

The pass plays work because everyone thinks we always run on first.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

One of JW's main points is that the Bills' coaches probably don't trust their line to pass protect.

I don't know why this absolves those coaches. It may explain the playcalling (somewhat), but these were the coaches who selected and coached those linemen. As far as I'm concerned, it's almost worse than calling bad plays.

And by the way, wtf happened to Eric Wood? He is TERRIBLE.

One of JW's main points is that the Bills' coaches probably don't trust their line to pass protect.

I don't know why this absolves those coaches. It may explain the playcalling (somewhat), but these were the coaches who selected and coached those linemen. As far as I'm concerned, it's almost worse than calling bad plays.

Wood having to account for his own assignments plus the deficiencies of the guards on either side of him likely have a lot to do with it.

This is the worst 22 thread ever. The sarcasm is overbearing. Just because the team is 5-3 and the defense is elite doesn't mean you don't try to get better! It is good we are winning games. But we can and MUST get better on offense! Don't confuse the two together. Everyone is defending Hackett because we won. It isn't that we are talking about poor play calling for the Jets game. It has been arguably for 24 games....let's not forget that! That is the real issue!!!!

Rarely post and read this site daily. I think your posts are normally on point (well I agree with the,m at least), but you have recently been unfairly all over the OC in my opinion. There was no need to push anything in this game. They picked their spots to push...and apparently chose well...and picked their spots to run clock and keep the Jets honest (by running up the middle)

Don't forget, the Jets front 7 and Rex Ryan pressure packages are very dangerous and could easily have changed the direction of the game with a sack-turnover. With an inconsistent Oline, young/new players at the skill positions (other than Chandler), this was a sound game plan and the OC and play caller (Marrone?) deserve credit in this case.

It is not a one game issue of play calling. It is almost every game Hackett has called. We need 10 wins to get in the playoffs. Lets say we beat Oakland. We have 5 wins plus Oakland. We need 4 more before the last month starts. That means we need to win the next 4 games or against NE, GB or Denver. So....I think we need to improve our play calling. Or at least entertain it and not not play Osterich with Hackett and the play calling.

Bad guards and bad coaching. Teams are teeing off on predictable plays and the guards are making him look bad.

I like White but he pushes what he wants to push here. Also with knowing the play call, line assignments, it's kinda worthless.

I saw Woods getting owned a lot in those clips.

Yeah... I saw his PFF grade yesterday ( it was bad) and can see in those clips that he was basically manhandled on 3 or 4 plays. Granted it looked like 91 Sheldon Richardson ( who is a great player) appeared to be doing the damage. Still a bit concerning... with Urbik back in there I would have expected Wood to look a little more solid than that

We scored on 3 out of 5 possessions the began in the 3rd. One TD an 2 FG's. This offense is still in the learning stages with Orton. We had our top 2 Rb's out and the Jets D-line is pretty good. We had a handle on their offense. We played exactly how we should have to win. IMO. Are you upset that we threw a 61 yd. TD on the 14th drive, when you say we should just "protect" the score? You sound upset about the 2nd qt. play calls. There was only 1 possession of run, run ,pass in that quarter. Don't forget, this is the NFL and a 20 point win is a blowout. Doesn't matter who it's against. Especially when you have a new QB, 2 backup Rb's and an oline starting a 7th rd RT along with a new LG and a crappy RG who is really a crappy RT. I just can't believe we are making so much of this. Well, not we.