Stripping the ball....is it taught or just a gift??

Have noticed many CB's and LB's have a knack for getting their hand on the ball while wrapping a WR or RB up and stripping the ball out. Saw it just now in the LSU game but several times in NFL games as well. Do we have a guy on our team who does this consistently? Or is it something that happens sporadically? Can it be stressed and taught in training camp?

Interceptions are great, but stripping the ball out (as opposed to a jolt of the helmet on the ball) could result in many more turnovers. I also tend to see a lot of stripped fumbles occur in a two or three man gang tackle. Our D should converge on Ivory tomorrow and strip it out.

I think usually it's more important to get the guy down than go for the ball and risk giving up more yardage. But I've seen some plays make a concerted effort to swing for the ball while making the tackle. I've seen Spikes do it a couple times.

I think usually it's more important to get the guy down than go for the ball and risk giving up more yardage. But I've seen some plays make a concerted effort to swing for the ball while making the tackle. I've seen Spikes do it a couple times.

I agree, definitely. It seems to come into play a lot more when one guy has the RB/WR wrapped up and another comes in and gets ahold of the ball. Would love to see it more on our team. Possibly tomorrow.

They practice this and embed this in many players from a young age.

Brandon Spikes, McKelvin and Gilmore routinely do this. Aaron Williams has been up and down in his career.

I'll watch for it. It seems to be a matter of strength over the opponent's will to hold onto the ball. Physics would seem to allow a guy with a free hand to have better leverage to strip the ball out (but I'm no physicist). Like I said, interceptions are rAre because a pass is either on target or way off, but tackling a player with the ball puts you in direct contact with the prize...if there was a trick to having it come out then we need some of that.

I'll watch for it. It seems to be a matter of strength over the opponent's will to hold onto the ball. Physics would seem to allow a guy with a free hand to have better leverage to strip the ball out (but I'm no physicist). Like I said, interceptions are rAre because a pass is either on target or way off, but tackling a player with the ball puts you in direct contact with the prize...if there was a trick to having it come out then we need some of that.

It's technique too. For many it's boom or bust (can miss a tackle) but some guys have worked out the timing and angles to be very effective even though it can be tough at full speed.

We used to practice it for fun. It was like a rabbit game. A dude would take off running and someone would have to give chase and get the ball loose. Many teams do this, or any types of various drills early to teach the fundamentals of both ball control and the importance of generating turnovers.

Jerry Hughes tries it most of the time, although he had a prime chance in the last game or two and didn't do it. He's the only one except for McLuvin on the defense who consistently tries. Sometimes Mario does, but Mario is smart about it. he will usually make sure he has the tackle. Sometimes Aaron Williams does it recklessly. Bradham has started to do it a bit, too.

They practice this and embed this in many players from a young age.

Brandon Spikes, McKelvin and Gilmore routinely do this. Aaron Williams has been up and down in his career.

Huh?

McKelvin has 4 FF in 7 years.

Gilmore hasn't had one since 2012.

I think its a better idea to try and get the man down.

Go for the strip and get run over. Case and point of FJ versus Chris Conte week 1. According to Chicago Sun Times:

"Conte had a good defense for his stumbling, saying that once it became clear Jackson had positioned the Bills for an easy field goal on his 38-yard run, his only hope was to try to force a fumble."

http://www.suntimes.com/29748263-606/chris-conte-defends-his-play-on-fred-jacksons-big-run.html#.VExbgfnF-So

So wasn't going for the strip the right idea? Only a forced fumble saved the game.

Yes Conte got embarrassed on TV, but I'm sure he and any player worth his salt would rather have a chance to win the game.

Edited by FireChan

This is what happens when you go for the strip.

Chris Conte said it himself after the game.

Not a great example. Fred properly held the ball on the outside arm. I'm referring more to those cases where the runner is coming through the middle or tackling from the side with another teammate. That run by Fred was the wrong "strip" opportunity.

Definitely taught, but then those with a natural feel incorporate it more often, a little like linemen putting their hand up rushing the passer, not everyone does it and some do it more successfully. I guess they're the 1% that make up a play.

Edited by Shamrock

Not a great example. Fred properly held the ball on the outside arm. I'm referring more to those cases where the runner is coming through the middle or tackling from the side with another teammate. That run by Fred was the wrong "strip" opportunity.

Exactly. Conte was just making sh*t up because he was under the gun for getting steamrolled. I can't believe they accepted that loser mentality. Anything can happen on the following plays, you bring your man down from the farthest point you can from the goal line. A guy like Conte is not out there making executive decisions like that. He got steamrolled plain and simple. Just because the Bills were in FG range, Conte is going to take the chance of the game ending right there on a TD. I am not buying it.

The second man on a gang tackle is coached to go after the Ball and let the initial tackler finish the tackle.

Tackling and punching or stripping the ball is taught at all levels of football.

Properly protecting the football and preventing strips is also taught and all levels of football.