It's finally all coming together for our Buffalo Bills

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wildcard

I know it is early but right teams are losing every week. Example Chargers, Texans, Bengals, Browns. These are all potential wild card teams that should continue their downward spiral if you look at their schedules.

Division

The Patriots have a void of a roster due to injuries. Maybe we dont match up well against them because let's face it they still own us, but other teams do. I fully expect them to lose 3-4 out of their next 6 with the toughest stretch in the NFL during that time. The Dolphins are their own worst enemy and will never be winners with Tannehill. The Jets are out of it.

Buffalo

I started saying it right after we lost to the Patriots when i looked at our schedule that the Division will be ours this year. We now have a competent QB which is what we were lacking. His chemistry with Sammy and the others will continue to grow. Our only real problem area our O-line should only get better w Ubrik starting again.

I couldn't stand when the media started hopping on the Browns bandwagon 2 weeks ago. I knew they were a farce again due to a simple lack of talent. So expect the media to jump on board a bit after we beat the Jets and alot when we slap K.C around and we are 6-3. The only difference is we actually have the talent that most teams lack. When was the last time we could say that? Let's go Buffalo!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wildcard

I know it is early but right teams are losing every week. Example Chargers, Texans, Bengals, Browns. These are all potential wild card teams that should continue their downward spiral if you look at their schedules.

Division

The Patriots have a void of a roster due to injuries. Maybe we dont match up well against them because let's face it they still own us, but other teams do. I fully expect them to lose 3-4 out of their next 6 with the toughest stretch in the NFL during that time. The Dolphins are their own worst enemy and will never be winners with Tannehill. The Jets are out of it.

Buffalo

I started saying it right after we lost to the Patriots when i looked at our schedule that the Division will be ours this year. We now have a competent QB which is what we were lacking. His chemistry with Sammy and the others will continue to grow. Our only real problem area our O-line should only get better w Ubrik starting again.

I couldn't stand when the media started hopping on the Browns bandwagon 2 weeks ago. I knew they were a farce again due to a simple lack of talent. So expect the media to jump on board a bit after we beat the Jets and alot when we slap K.C around and we are 6-3. The only difference is we actually have the talent that most teams lack. When was the last time we could say that? Let's go Buffalo!

I love the optimism man but was a competent QB really the one thing we were lacking? Cuz I thought we were also lacking...

* consistent play from our defensive secondary.

* even average play from our interior offensive line.

* good coaching from our OC.

* healthy running backs.

But if we do indeed make it to 5-3 at the halfway mark, I'll start thinking playoffs with you.

If you're going to make the playoffs, you've got to win against division opponents on the road. The margin for error is too slight, particularly if you are fighting for a wild card berth. Only 2 teams get them in the conference, so winning the division remains the best opportunity for post-season play.

They've got to beat the Jets. Going into the bye week 4-4 will feel, after everything they've done so far, very underwhelming.

While it certainly isn't the end of all hope, should they lose to the Jets on Sunday, I think this game is a huge gauge as to how much better the Bills really are. Given the recent history, this is a game the Bills just don't win. Divisional foe, on the road in a building they have had a hard time in..Bills with "something to play for"... opponent playing only for pride..

The Jets record, IMO, is irrelevant. If the Bills win this game, I think there is real reason to feel very optimistic about them. Lose, and many will still be wondering if they can make it to 7 wins. On paper, believe it or not, the Bills have often been the better team...but have consistantly come up small in these situatins.

The Bills are not in the NFC North...they need to start winning games that are winnable, in the AFC as well.

They don't have to win this game..but they need to!

Last week was also a game the Bills have historically lost - the traditional "inferior opponent at home" loss with the 2013 Falcons and 2012 Titans and Rams as only the most recent examples. To play badly and win may be a sign that this is a different year.

Beating the Jets on the road would again be that sign and give me a lot of optimism going forward.

Edited by Flip Johnson

If you're going to make the playoffs, you've got to win against division opponents on the road. The margin for error is too slight, particularly if you are fighting for a wild card berth. Only 2 teams get them in the conference, so winning the division remains the best opportunity for post-season play.

They've got to beat the Jets. Going into the bye week 4-4 will feel, after everything they've done so far, very underwhelming.

In a season essentially labeled "playoffs or bust" by the front office, this game is a must win.

The Bears are due for a big game...after all the bad press I think they pull it together and beat the Pats.

BB and the Pats will have had 10 days to prepare. That is never a good thing.

Bills need to win 6 out of the next 9. IF they do that, they are in. It needs to start this weekend against an inferior opponent that is a division rival.

10-6 gets you into the playoffs this year i think.

Agreed. This game is huge. We are either 4-4 at the bye or 5-3. Big difference. We need to win games we can and/or should. Jets are tough at home and are not a 1-6 team.

Go Bills!! HUGE week!!

Last week was also a game the Bills have historically lost - the traditional "inferior opponent at home" loss with the 2013 Falcons and 2012 Titans and Rams as only the most recent examples. To play badly and win may be a sign that this is a different year.

Beating the Jets on the road would again be that sign and give me a lot of optimism going forward.

True... :thumbsup:

These Bills are slowly re-defining who they are. Sure, they still got the crap kicked out of them by the Pats, and they really should have beaten the Texans...but winning games in Chicago and Detroit are good signs that this isn't the same 'ol same 'ol...next is beating teams in their division, on the road.

Edited by Buftex

I don't like them in this game against the Jets.

In fact I'd be shocked if they won. Would anyone be surprised if this team is 4-5 going to play Miami on Thursday night a few weeks from now?

Really....shocked? I am not 100% confident in Bills this week, but i wouldn't be shocked if either team won. Last year in New Jersey they picked on Justin Rogers and made GS look like a franchise QB and the Bills still had a chance in that game. So shocked, no, cautiously optimistic, yes...GO BILLS!

imo you see this a lot. Bad teams can play their best game of the year while the opponent can play average or worse, and the bad team still loses. This is usually due to talent differential where one or two big plays make the difference. Saw it with jets v pats, saw it with Vikes v bills. I do think the bills are the better team here despite all of the jets moral victories that they've racked up this season. Edited by YoloinOhio

For now. That all changes if the Bills lose to the Jets. If you're resigning yourself to the wild card track( and they may have done just that by losing to NE) then division/conference games are paramount. Wins @ Lions, Bears vs Vikings are nice, but don't help with AFC tie break scenarios. So the Bills need to beef up their playoff resume with some AFC victories. Jets( twice) @MIA are critical because 2 losses to NE means the best you can do is 4-2 div record. Then vs KC, @OAK are musts because home and road contests facing Rodgers, Manning don't look promising. A loss @Jets would seriously damage Bills playoff hopes.

While I hope you're right the offense has hardly improved. In EJ's 4 starts we scored 23/19/10 and 17 points. In Orton's 3 starts we scored 23/22 and 17 points. That's not a whole lot of points more than EJ's offense. Although I agree Orton is the answer not EJ at the moment and I like Orton but I can't say I am putting them in the playoffs with an average offense, below average line, and backup running backs. Dixon looked horrible in pass protection last week. the Jets scare me, and unless we win our next 5 games (Jets,Kansas,Miami,Jets again, and Cleveland ) we're not making the playoffs. We're not going to beat New England, Denver or Green Bay.. Oakland is the other must win, and that only puts us at 10-6, but only if we win the next 5...9-7 won't cut it..

matter of fact EJ scored an average of 17.25 points per game while Orton is a field goal more at 20.66 points a game.. But you could argue EJ had the tougher schedule, but at the same time EJ had help with special teams and defensive touchdown..

Edited by mikef272002

Okay, so what are the kind of games the Bills have "traditionally won".

Like what kind of games are left? "Great teams playing poorly", "Road games against inferior teams", "Lame duck, season-enders", "Super Bowl champs at home, just before the bye-week, but after they have played their division rival"...?

I would say last week was the kind of game (crappy team on the road) that they traditionally draw a couple of wins (and a couple of losses) from each year.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Okay, so what are the kind of games the Bills have "traditionally won".

Like what kind of games are left? "Great teams playing poorly", "Road games against inferior teams", "Lame duck, season-enders", "Super Bowl champs at home, just before the bye-week, but after they have played their division rival"...?

I would say last week was the kind of game (crappy team on the road) that they traditionally draw a couple of wins (and a couple of losses) from each year.

When it comes to making the playoffs, there are only two types of games: divisional and conference. Right now we have a losing record in both categories. We just don't have the look.

GO BILLS!!!

When it comes to making the playoffs, there are only two types of games: divisional and conference. Right now we have a losing record in both categories. We just don't have the look.

GO BILLS!!!

Not sure how this relates to my post.

My point is that this past weeks game is exactly the kind of game they have won a few of each year, on their way to another crappy season. The only difference was that they did it in dramatic fashion.

Technically, the 8.1 is not a "projected win total", but an "average simulated result". Out of the thousands (millions? Dunno what kind of computing power 538 has) of simulations run, our average win total works out to 8.1, but I'd guess around 20% of the simulations have us winning 10 games or more -- because that's our playoff %. Possibly higher, even, because I imagine we miss the playoffs at 10-6 in a decent number of simulations. So there's definitely a chance, and not that horrible a chance either. If we lose this Sunday, I think it's pretty much over -- I can't see us getting to 10 wins without sweeping the Jets, and there's almost no way we'd win a potential 9-7 playoff tiebreaker.

If we can get back to the non-QB level of play from the first 2 games, and Orton can keep up about this level of play (or preferably cut down on his turnovers), I think we have a real shot at it. But if we keep playing like garbage until the last drive or two, we'll get smoked.

That's about right. You have to be the Bill Simmons "good bad team" -- the team that routinely beats all the weak opposition (especially at home) but really doesn't really put together the statement game to say we've arrived. For us, that statement is obvious: best the Pats. So we really have to beat the Jets, not once but twice. And Miami again too. The rest of the schedule gives us nothing easy at all. At Oakland would seem to be a win, but any away game in the NFL is tough, and by then Derek Carr will have about a year under his belt. So

Plain & simple 2 things need to happen and we make the playoffs barring of course injuries.

#1 - Cut down on turnovers, we need to protect the ball because our D is good enough to keep us in games. Recently we have been turning over the ball way to often and we are still competitive threw out our games. That's a great sign and even better if we limit these costly turnovers.

#2 Cut down on penalties, The players need to be more accountable for themselves. Focus more and stay within the game. Good teams, playoff teams don't kill themselves with costly mistakes over & over. Bad personal fouls at the wrong times. Holding guys that are nowhere near the play needs to stop.

All in all even with the lack of talent that we have on our oline if we limit the Turnovers & Penalties. This team will make those playoffs I guarantee it. Hopefully we beat the Jets so we can head into the bye working on accountability and our oline. Let's go Bills!