Bills offense

After 7 games the Bills offense still among the worst in the league. From ESPN: http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/14586/stat-check-bills-offense-still-among-worst

POINTS SCORED

Patriots: 7th (26.7)

Dolphins: 11th (24.5)

Bills: 27th (19.3)

Jets: tied-28th (17.3)

THIRD-DOWN OFFENSE

Jets: 18th (41-of-101, 40.6 percent)

Patriots: 21st (40-of-102, 39.2 percent)

Dolphins: 23rd (29-of-76, 38.2 percent)

Bills: 25th (37-of-100, 37 percent)

RED ZONE OFFENSE (based on TD percentage)

Patriots: 19th (13-of-24, 54.2 percent)

Dolphins: 20th (15-of-28, 53.6 percent)

Bills: 28th (10-of-24, 41.7 percent)

Jets: tied-30th (9-of-22, 40.9 percent)

I gotta admit I love Orton and his two game last minute drive heroics, (Detroit & Minnesota) and against the Vikings it was a TD pass with one second on the clock.

Alas, Kyle Orton has been sacked 13 times in 3 games, and 6 of those were in the last game at home against Minnesota. 5 came against New England at home. Alarming huh? How long does he survive this season? Now the Bills go to NY where the Jets sacked EJ 8 times last year, yikes!

The Bills are finally benching LG Cyril Richardson for Kraig Urbik. Yet Pears still stays at RG, and Henderson at RT. No idea why Chis Hairston hasn't gotten a look, as he graded in the green at his last stint as starting RT.

I liken Doug Marrone in keeping Nathaniel Hackett as his OC again this year to Gailey keeping George Edwards as his DC after his failed first year. This year the Bills started out running more then passing against Chicago, Miami, and winning both. Then inexplicably started throwing it 40 times a game the last 5 games, and lost 3 of 5. All this passing started against the Chargers, and nearly got EJ killed against Houston.

I sure hope the Bills change their tactics back to more runs then passes against the Jets. Then perhaps Orton might just live thru the game. GO Boobie! Go Buffalo!

After 7 games the Bills offense still among the worst in the league. From ESPN: http://espn.go.com/b...ill-among-worst

POINTS SCORED

Patriots: 7th (26.7)

Dolphins: 11th (24.5)

Bills: 27th (19.3)

Jets: tied-28th (17.3)

THIRD-DOWN OFFENSE

Jets: 18th (41-of-101, 40.6 percent)

Patriots: 21st (40-of-102, 39.2 percent)

Dolphins: 23rd (29-of-76, 38.2 percent)

Bills: 25th (37-of-100, 37 percent)

RED ZONE OFFENSE (based on TD percentage)

Patriots: 19th (13-of-24, 54.2 percent)

Dolphins: 20th (15-of-28, 53.6 percent)

Bills: 28th (10-of-24, 41.7 percent)

Jets: tied-30th (9-of-22, 40.9 percent)

I gotta admit I love Orton and his two game last minute drive heroics, (Detroit & Minnesota) and against the Vikings it was a TD pass with one second on the clock.

Alas, Kyle Orton has been sacked 13 times in 3 games, and 6 of those were in the last game at home against Minnesota. 5 came against New England at home. Alarming huh? How long does he survive this season? Now the Bills go to NY where the Jets sacked EJ 8 times last year, yikes!

The Bills are finally benching LG Cyril Richardson for Kraig Urbik. Yet Pears still stays at RG, and Henderson at RT. No idea why Chis Hairston hasn't gotten a look, as he graded in the green at his last stint as starting RT.

I liken Doug Marrone in keeping Nathaniel Hackett as his OC again this year to Gailey keeping George Edwards as his DC after his failed first year. This year the Bills started out running more then passing against Chicago, Miami, and winning both. Then inexplicably started throwing it 40 times a game the last 5 games, and lost 3 of 5. All this passing started against the Chargers, and nearly got EJ killed against Houston.

I sure hope the Bills change their tactics back to more runs then passes against the Jets. Then perhaps Orton might just live thru the game. GO Boobie! Go Buffalo!

I agree I think the bye is coming at a great time for us to iron out some kinks and to actually get some real practice time in .

The last 3 games we are

20th in points scored (21. ppg)

17th in redzone off. (55%)

17th in 3rd down off. (36%)

so we have improved over the last few weeks but after the bye we want to get into the top 12 .

The run game has declined every week thats why they started going away from it and thats mainly has been because the line has struggled .With the line struggling you simply cannot afford to have a bunch of 3rd and longs as they cant provide protection consistently. So we have to pass to try to keep us in manageable situations and the are still struggling.

The stats dont lie. But, there is good reason why the increased passing and it makes sense!! The defenses they are against are stacking the box which makes it about impossible to run against. This will continue until the Bill can throw for 400 plus yards.

still one of the worst in the league

What an improvement KO has been.

did they also mention sacks and turnovers?

Uggh you are the worst. Yes, at the qb position he has been a monumental improvement. That is, if you believe the forward pass is an integral part of the game in 2014. I think the offensive line play has steadily regressed the last few weeks as well. And why can't you wrap your head around the concept that if you throw the ball downfield it results in interceptions from time to time. EJ threw 3 in 4 games, Orton 3 in 3. Considering Manuel's propensity to check down I'm surprised he even threw 3. If I was the bills qb on Sunday and my only task was to not turn the ball over, I could probably do it. That doesn't mean I give the bills a better chance to win than Kyle Orton. Why do I even bother. Until next time, when I stupidly respond to one of your predictably dumb posts in another thread.

http://espn.go.com/n...f/buffalo-bills

Uggh you are the worst. Yes, at the qb position he has been a monumental improvement. That is, if you believe the forward pass is an integral part of the game in 2014. I think the offensive line play has steadily regressed the last few weeks as well. And why can't you wrap your head around the concept that if you throw the ball downfield it results in interceptions from time to time. EJ threw 3 in 4 games, Orton 3 in 3. Considering Manuel's propensity to check down I'm surprised he even threw 3. If I was the bills qb on Sunday and my only task was to not turn the ball over, I could probably do it. That doesn't mean I give the bills a better chance to win than Kyle Orton. Why do I even bother. Until next time, when I stupidly respond to one of your predictably dumb posts in another thread.

talk about uggh you are the worst ...

you fail to grasp that concept that KO was to be noticeable improvement. Or monumental if you prefer

I do not accept a fractional increase an improvement

I already posted the 300+ YPG average passing yards of 3 or 4 QBs with LOSING records. I see you chose to ignore that.

once again

http://www.footballd...rd-passing.html

How well are the teams for Gino and Cousins doing? a grand total of 1 win in the last 5 games

In total 17 L's

Did you also notice Brady has only 1 so far this season?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

http://espn.go.com/n...f/buffalo-bills

talk about uggh you are the worst ...

you fail to grasp that concept that KO was to be noticeable improvement. Or monumental if you prefer

I do not accept a fractional increase an improvement

I already posted the 300+ YPG average passing yards of 3 or 4 QBs with LOSING records. I see you chose to ignore that.

We have seen noticeable improvement you are just in denial . What does posting the Qbs with losing records have to do with anything ? Its scary that you don't even realize how how crazy that sounds .

another person in denial.

the majority of the people who LOVE KO are saying that his biggest improvement over EJ is passing yards.

300 + Passing yards alone does not win games.

what causes 300 + Passing yard QB's to lose games? TURNOVERS AND SACKS

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

another person in denial.

the majority of the people who LOVE KO are saying that his biggest improvement over EJ is passing yards.

300 + Passing yards alone does not win games.

what causes 300 + Passing yard QB's to lose games? TURNOVERS AND SACKS

Listen dude, I don't love Kyle Orton. He is a mediocre, middling at best starting NFL QB. But he is a legitimate starting QB. Manuel was not. It's that simple. His first two starts were against excellent defenses. Against Minnesota, if Woods and Hogan both don't fumble in Minnesota territory, we win that game with more room to spare, our point total is more impressive and he doesn't have to conduct that game winning drive, which I can assure you, Manuel does not complete. Not to mention, the dude just showed up here and is still learning the offense. And above all else, you are constantly changing your tune. Last week, you're saying "I don't care about their stats (which have you looked at by the way? How is Orton's completion % ten points higher than EJ's when he is whizzing balls downfield to wide receivers and Manuel was making Trent Edwards look like Brett Favre), all I care about is wins. They're both .500." Now that Orton is 2-1, it's, "look at their sack totals." Hence, yes, you are the worst.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Over the past 15 years in the wilderness, the one constant with the Buffalo Bills has been a pathetic, bumbling offense that completely crumbles against a good defense, especially on the road. This has been largely due to the Bills' consistent inability to assemble a reasonably competent offensive line and, of course, the FO's failure to draft or sign even a mediocre QB. The defenses over this period have generally been average to well above average (it's not that hard to assemble a good defense in the NFL), but they have been worn out by constantly trotting onto the field after endless series of three-and-outs by the offense, not to mention fighting poor field position. We are seeing this again this year and I don't know if it will ever change.

Edited by mannc

The Bills are throwing more because they can't run the ball effectively. This is not difficult to figure out. Not due to anything defenses are doing like " stacking the box" blah blah blah. The O line is not athletic at the Guard position, greatly hampering the run game. NH obviously trusts Orton more than Manuel throwing the football. So that is what he is doing. The games we won with EJ were somewhat of an anomaly. You just aren't going to win many games in the NFL barely throwing for 200 yards. It's not like the Bills were tearing it up on the ground. But forget about the buzzwords like stacking the front. For example, I just saw an NFL live where Schlereth diagramed an Eagles run play. Guess what? It was vs a "stacked box" . And it worked to a T because their O line is excellent. Ours isn't. 3ypc for three downs doesn't move the chains. So we must throw. This will continue until we get better at run blocking. A " magic formula" for Bills wins when they run more than pass only works if you actually run effectively. Especially on first down, to get the O in some favorable down/ distance situations. Not sure what our avg YPC is on 1st down runs, but I'd be surprised if it was good.

Rodhacks articles are the worst. Ever. Period

I get what his mpoint is but we are a different team now then we were the first two weeks. That's the weeks we were scoring a lot. Now we have shown we can win ball games with little scoring and offense. Sunday will be a big day and I can see us opening the throttle up.

The Bills are throwing more because they can't run the ball effectively. This is not difficult to figure out. Not due to anything defenses are doing like " stacking the box" blah blah blah. The O line is not athletic at the Guard position, greatly hampering the run game. NH obviously trusts Orton more than Manuel throwing the football. So that is what he is doing. The games we won with EJ were somewhat of an anomaly. You just aren't going to win many games in the NFL barely throwing for 200 yards. It's not like the Bills were tearing it up on the ground. But forget about the buzzwords like stacking the front. For example, I just saw an NFL live where Schlereth diagramed an Eagles run play. Guess what? It was vs a "stacked box" . And it worked to a T because their O line is excellent. Ours isn't. 3ypc for three downs doesn't move the chains. So we must throw. This will continue until we get better at run blocking. A " magic formula" for Bills wins when they run more than pass only works if you actually run effectively. Especially on first down, to get the O in some favorable down/ distance situations. Not sure what our avg YPC is on 1st down runs, but I'd be surprised if it was good.

Im glad that watched a clip on NFL live breaking down a play where running against a stacked box worked. But if you think that a team can be successful running against a run defense regularly your nuts. If you were right teams would not need to audible out of plays based on the defense alignment. Teams are outright challenging the Bills to beat them through the air by putting a lining up in a defense that is improbable to be successful to run at.

Listen dude, I don't love Kyle Orton. He is a mediocre, middling at best starting NFL QB. But he is a legitimate starting QB. Manuel was not. It's that simple. His first two starts were against excellent defenses. Against Minnesota, if Woods and Hogan both don't fumble in Minnesota territory, we win that game with more room to spare, our point total is more impressive and he doesn't have to conduct that game winning drive, which I can assure you, Manuel does not complete. Not to mention, the dude just showed up here and is still learning the offense. And above all else, you are constantly changing your tune. Last week, you're saying "I don't care about their stats (which have you looked at by the way? How is Orton's completion % ten points higher than EJ's when he is whizzing balls downfield to wide receivers and Manuel was making Trent Edwards look like Brett Favre), all I care about is wins. They're both .500." Now that Orton is 2-1, it's, "look at their sack totals." Hence, yes, you are the worst.

Minnesota's D was ranked 7th going into last week. So, 3 excellent defenses to start.

I also just can't imagine EJ leading the comeback drive last week. He doesn't read defenses well enough to get off the quick snap on that 4th and 20 and he certainly does not thread the needle with that throw. EJ is a hard worker, but Orton's veteran qualities are what we need right now.

What percentage of that translates to successful conversions?

First four games:

4-12, 5-15, 6-14, 5-16 (35.1% - Would put us at 28th in league)

Last three games:

5-16, 8-15, 4-12 (39.5% - Would put us at 21st in league)

Edited by Dorkington

Here is a positive stat

Scott Hanson@ScottHanson 4m4 minutes ago

The QB with the best completion percentage (82.1%) on 3rd down is...... Kyle Orton.

This is how bad it's gotten for me: If I see a bad stat I think "well, we stink". A good stat and I think "well, the law of averages is going to catch up with us". It's very sad. I really like our talent... for the most part. Has anyone mentioned yet we're a little weak at guard and an Andrew Luck type would be helpful?

It's kinda funny, there's one side that's basically "Well, Orton is the better option right now, even though he's not great" and the other side painting that as "omg you LOVE Orton".

He's a better option right now, but dear god, no one is claiming he's a top 10 QB. Just what we had was pretty bad, at the beginning of this year, even mediocre is an improvement.*

So many extreme viewpoints.

* EJ could still develop, this isn't the end of his career yet.

This is how bad it's gotten for me: If I see a bad stat I think "well, we stink". A good stat and I think "well, the law of averages is going to catch up with us". It's very sad. I really like our talent... for the most part. Has anyone mentioned yet we're a little weak at guard and an Andrew Luck type would be helpful?

fix the guard postion before he QB gets killed.

Go Kraig Urbik !

One by one the people on here who were questioning the move are fading into oblivion, save for Bills fan 4 ever of course. He's like your crazy uncle at Thanksgiving this year who will still be talking about Benghazi. Let's hope that trend continues after Sunday.

Orton is a clear improvement. Bengazi was a tragedy of inept leadership that cost American lives. No need to be flip about that.

The Bills are throwing more because they can't run the ball effectively. This is not difficult to figure out. Not due to anything defenses are doing like " stacking the box" blah blah blah. The O line is not athletic at the Guard position, greatly hampering the run game. NH obviously trusts Orton more than Manuel throwing the football. So that is what he is doing. The games we won with EJ were somewhat of an anomaly. You just aren't going to win many games in the NFL barely throwing for 200 yards. It's not like the Bills were tearing it up on the ground.

Amen. Weak guard play has been a killer. They'd throw better if they ran better. Play action might actually work. Cant do it with this line nor does it pass protect real well either (Orton's status as a statue of Blesoeian proportion notwithstanding). At least Orton will wait for a play to develop and can throw, with reasonable accuracy, passes into the middle of the field and sideline throws over 10 yards. It helps.

One by one the people on here who were questioning the move are fading into oblivion, save for Bills fan 4 ever of course. He's like your crazy uncle at Thanksgiving this year who will still be talking about Benghazi. Let's hope that trend continues after Sunday.

I love you too man

A couple years ago, plenty of posters on this board were actively dismissing the Guard position. Crickets now.

Yea, no kidding.

They are a dime a dozen...they can be easily found in the later rounds...never draft a guard in the first round...you can always move a tackle to guard.

I want to hire Marv Levy to punch Buddy Nix in the face. :lol: I think that goober is still on the payroll as an adviser, and still giving bad advice!

EDIT: well, to be honest there are still some gray matter lacking individuals pushing that same agenda.... The 6-1 Dallas Cowboys are loving their first round OG, and this year have a brutal ground game. Plus, look to be protecting QB Tony Romo so much better this year. Then there are the San Diego Chargers who made the playoffs last year with their 2013 first round pick at OG. Oh, and the Colts drafted O line in the 2nd round this year because they traded away that first for Richardson, and they are doing so much better on offense this year.

Oh, and just because other teams draft bad O line players in the first round doesn't mean its not smart to do so. All it means is their talent evaluators aren't very good.

Edited by FeartheLosing

A couple years ago, plenty of posters on this board were actively dismissing the Guard position. Crickets now.

Actually, nobody was actively dismissing the guard position. Many, however, were saying that it doesn't take a major FA investment or a high (1st or 2nd round) draft pick to find quality guards, and that's true.

Looking around the league, the best guards tend to be mid-round picks. The guys drafted in the top 10 recently (Warmack, Cooper) are widely considered busts, while guys like Larry Warford, Clint Boling, Marshal Yanda, Gabe Jackson, etc. who were picked in the 3rd and 4th rounds have been very, very good. Now, other 1st round picks at the position (Zeitler, for instance) have turned out fine, so it's not as though taking a guard in round 1 is a death sentence per se.

I think the over-arching point remains solid: there's no reason to spend premium draft picks or FA money on the guard position. That's a far cry from saying it (a) isn't important, and (b) doesn't need to be addressed.

True. At least Manuel is not at this stage of his career. No different than switching from Brandon Weeden to Hoyer, or Christian Ponder to Matt Cassell, or dare I say Case Keenum to Ryan Fitzpatrick ... ok, nevermind, I just destroyed my own argument. But you see where I was going .... the next step is going from Matt Cassell to, say, Alex Smith, or if you're really lucky, from Tarvaris Jackson to Matt Flynn (for a few minutes) straight to Russell Wilson.

Edited by The Frankish Reich