Report: Pegulas Looking to Bring Consultants for Bills Transition

Pegulas looking to bring consultants to help with Bills transition

The sale of the Buffalo Bills to the Pegula family became official this week, and while the new owners have no intentions to make any changes in the short term, they are expected to bring in an experienced football man at some to oversee their transition and evaluate the organization for them, according to league sources. They are also planning to restructure the franchise at some point as well, sources said, with more separation between the football side and the business side of the organization.

League sources pointed to Ernie Acrosi, who began his football career in the athletic department at Penn State, a school with close ties to the Pegulas, as a top candidate for a consulting position, with Mike Holmgren and Ron Wolf also possibilities to work with the family as the Pegulas evaluate the franchise they just purchased and ultimately make determinations on how much change to initiate this offseason. Such a move is expected by early in the offseason, and potentially much sooner depending on how the season unfolds. Holmgren, who won a Super Bowl as a head coach, is no longer interested in coaching positions but would be open to a management position, sources said, with Oakland another possibility. The Pegulas operated in a similar fashion after purchasing the Buffalo Sabres, bringing in an outside consultant to help them gather information and make informed decisions on how to move forward with the team.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it, particularly the part about the separation of the business and football side. Brandon is fantastic at the business of football, and will continue to do a great job. And this will free up Whaley to perform fully as GM reporting only to the owners, like in most situations.

I read this a I'm thinking this must be some kind of dream. That part on how to best separate the business side from the football side? Pure genius. Then I kept going and saw how he did the same with the Sabres. And that was basically an epic fail. Unless he brings in someone like Holmgren or Parcells, people shouldn't think this article means anything more than Pegula is trying to pick his best cronies to install at One Bills Drive. He did it with the Sabres, he'll do it with the Bills.

Get Holmgren the hell away from this team. He hasn't done ANYTHING in a decade, and whether it was him or ownership that flubbed up the Cleveland experiment, I am still more comfortable with Whaley as the GM, Brandon as the President, and if in need of seasoned experience, we have Nix. I don't want Holmgren bringing in some 28 year olds to learn on the job, and eventually get handed positions that we already have talented people in, in Brandon and Whaley. It was a good model to do in 2010 when our cub board was bare, and Nix tutored Whaley, and Brandon strengthened the business side, but I think we're ALL SET, just need more at bats at the draft, now.

Get Holmgren the hell away from this team. He hasn't done ANYTHING in a decade, and whether it was him or ownership that flubbed up the Cleveland experiment, I am still more comfortable with Whaley as the GM, Brandon as the President, and if in need of seasoned experience, we have Nix. I don't want Holmgren bringing in some 28 year olds to learn on the job, and eventually get handed positions that we already have talented people in, in Brandon and Whaley. It was a good model to do in 2010 when our cub board was bare, and Nix tutored Whaley, and Brandon strengthened the business side, but I think we're ALL SET, just need more at bats at the draft, now.

Agree. I would rather have our current regime than what Holmgren might decide on what is best for this franchise .

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Bye bye Jeff Littmann. Nice to know ya.

He resigned already.

I don't think that anything said in there is a surprise except for the names. I figured if the Marrone failed Frank Reich would be the top name (and Buffalo would go crazy). No thanks to Holmgren but both Acorsi and Wolf are somewhat intriguing.

He resigned already.

I don't think that anything said in there is a surprise except for the names. I figured if the Marrone failed Frank Reich would be the top name (and Buffalo would go crazy). No thanks to Holmgren but both Acorsi and Wolf are somewhat intriguing.

Love both Acorsi and Wolf. Either would be fantastic choices to head the football department.

Polian would be cool but probably past his time.

Please no Parcells/Holmgren style retreads.

Accorsi is top tier

Polian would be great but he will try to push for his son to be a part of something and I'm not sure he has the credentials yet.

Ernie Accorsi or Ron Wolf consulting would be a welcome relief after years of the OBD lifers running the show. I'm sure Accorsi or Wolf can provide what is needed to fix what's wrong at OBD. If LaCanfora is correct, the Pegula's already understand the financial side of the house has interfered with the football side.

As has been said numerous times, you don't invest 1.4B into a NFL team and then not evaluate what's going on. There will be changes after this season regardless of the result.