Report: Pegulas Looking to Bring Consultants for Bills Transition

It's funny that you say that because he used to be high on my list. I think that he has been brutal this year.

Really? What has Shaw done this year to make you think he can't coach? Stanford lost a ton of talent and they are 4-2, with two narrow losses to good teams. They will probably finish 9-3 or 8-4 and go to a nice bowl game. Not long ago, that would have been considered miracle work at Stanford. Edited by mannc

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? What has Shaw done this year to make you think he can't coach? Stanford lost a ton of talent and they are 4-2, with two narrow losses to good teams. They will probably finish 9-3 or 8-4 and go to a nice bowl game. Not long ago, that would have been considered miracle work at Stanford.

The play calling in the USC game jumps out at me. He was horrendous in that game. They were at USC's 30 like 9 or 10 different times and scored 10 points. It was painful to watch.

I know I'd prefer someone with past success in the NFL as a head coach.

I think its abundantly clear that some coaches get smarter as go along in their professions, and some guys don't. Its obvious Chan Gailey didn't, and never should have been hired as a HC when he was recently fired as an OC. You generally promote after some success, and not promote after failure. Gailey's line, you don't know, what you don't know...

When you get 2x NFL HCing shots like Pete Carroll, and then go into college and win national championships it shows he was getting smarter. Plus, the man is brilliant in finding, developing young players for his defensive secondary. He started in the NFL as the Bills DB's coach.

I think in Lovie Smith's case its crystal clear that the "Tampa two" defense the man likes to run doesn't work so well with ordinary players, and needs specific standouts at certain positions. One big reason why Jauron's defenses always stunk was because unlike Carroll, Jauron doesn't know the difference between a good player and his backside.

A good choice for a new Bills HC would be "the chin", as the man knows how to evaluate players. Ex Steeler GM Tom Donahoe lost a power struggle to him at Pittsburgh.(Another dysfunctional hire that was fired as GM, and hired by Buffalo, and then promoted to president) The man knows everything thing there is to know about building a winning team. Who to hire as assistant coaches, and who he wants in the draft. The man was recently on CBS sports talking about building a top O line, run game to help support a young QB. Sounds perfect to me.

Then there is Jim Harbaugh who is in constant battle with his current GM http://thebiglead.com/2014/09/25/chip-kelly-got-the-tight-end-jim-harbaugh-wanted-in-the-2013-draft-probably-because-of-trent-baalke/

http://thebiglead.com/2014/10/05/jay-glazer-says-theres-no-way-jim-harbaugh-returns-to-49ers-next-season/

There is talk that the NY Jets are looking at Harbaugh, and we know that the Dolphins already tried to hire him even when they still had another HC on the payroll. Chances are they fire Philbin after this season.

Anyway, I think that the dysfunction that has embedded itself the last 14 years of hiring the wrong people by the franchise will be corrected with new ownership.

Bills also went out to California to interview Harbaugh before we hired Gailey.

Bills also went out to California to interview Harbaugh before we hired Gailey.

Harbaugh declined to interview. And he wasn't the only one during early 2010 before Gailey became their emergency choice.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/01/cbs-stanfords-jim-harbaugh-turns-down-bills-offer-to-become-head-coach/1#.VEP8PSi3njQ

Bud

Harbaugh declined to interview. And he wasn't the only one during early 2010 before Gailey became their emergency choice.

http://content.usato.../1#.VEP8PSi3njQ

Thanks for the link BillsVet.

Times have changed, and i think people will look at jobs in Buffalo differently now after this year. Cowher stated he wouldn't commit to a team unless he knew the owner was 100% committed to winning, and unless said team had a solid starting QB.

Buddy Nix's first choice was Marty S, and RW stated he wasn't comfortable with that choice.

I think a lot of people (at least 10) turned down that job, and Nix was desperate to hire anyone. The thing is that RW had a history of micromanaging his coaches to the tune of talking to Dick Jauron an hour a day on the phone during the season. Also noted Russ Brandon was in constant contact his last few years due to ill health.

they couldn't come up with a single fun fact about hackett?

What's more disturbing is the amount of page Marrone takes up. What is there to really say about him? Build up the powerhouse Syracuse team to a .500 team in the BIg East and now is in over his head in the NFL.

I really hope Pegula is on the phone with these consultants right now. This is ugly.