What do the Bills do for a fix at guard now?

If the bills finish the season strong and by some gift from god make the playoffs this year, here is what I expect.

QB Position: Orton is not the long term answer, and we still need a very serious upgrade at the position. Depending on what Bradford is looking for, the Bills make a run at him. 12mil ish seems reasonable, I bet he wants more. Could be had in a one year cheap-o deal so he can collect a huge payday afterwards. He is a good option for a team built to not miss a beat with a talented roster. This actually seems reasonable since we won't find a 2nd rounder that can come in and lead the team immediately. That means Spiller and Hughes walk. One of the 2 QB's dressing weekly either gets cut, traded, or retires.

Draft: 2nd round- best guard available. 3rd round DE or a project QB. Look for another OL at 6 or 7.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can Hairston play RG and have Pears be the TE in power formations the way Hairston has? Can't get much worse than Pears....This weeks its key the Bills are able to run on the interior because the Pats DBs are much better than the Lions.

Can Hairston play RG and have Pears be the TE in power formations the way Hairston has? Can't get much worse than Pears....This weeks its key the Bills are able to run on the interior because the Pats DBs are much better than the Lions.

I'd rather see Urbik in there than Hairston.

Playing a long-time OT at guard is the current problem; one that I don't want to see repeated.

In some cases, yes. Teams that like to pull their guards will typically put their most athletic guard on the right side, figuring they can use a TE to help the RT on sweeps and Power leads.

Zone blocking teams will often use a more athletic guy on the left side so that he's a better cutter.

:beer:

just watched all 67 offensive plays on NFL Rewind.

Cyril Richardson had 56 positive plays and 11 negative plays.

a negative play would be a missed block or penalty.

Unfortunately, all too often, all it takes is one.

GO BILLS!!!

This is a huge concern IMO, and I can't figure out why the team hasn't been looking at other players like a Richie Incognito. Someone who would make the difference in this team winning, and having another losing season.

Richardson may get better, as he learns the ropes. Pears is a waste of space at RG, and shouldn't even be on the field. Doesn't it suck that this team could have such great players everywhere but at OG?

I wonder if its going to take Orton or EJ getting sent to the IR before the team makes a move.

If the bills finish the season strong and by some gift from god make the playoffs this year, here is what I expect.

QB Position: Orton is not the long term answer, and we still need a very serious upgrade at the position. Depending on what Bradford is looking for, the Bills make a run at him. 12mil ish seems reasonable, I bet he wants more. Could be had in a one year cheap-o deal so he can collect a huge payday afterwards. He is a good option for a team built to not miss a beat with a talented roster. This actually seems reasonable since we won't find a 2nd rounder that can come in and lead the team immediately. That means Spiller and Hughes walk. One of the 2 QB's dressing weekly either gets cut, traded, or retires.

Draft: 2nd round- best guard available. 3rd round DE or a project QB. Look for another OL at 6 or 7.

I would be pleased with Bradford for a year or two. Probably a two year deal. I think we can still sign Hughes though! Or hope!

I think Marrone keeps Pears in there to mentor and help Henderson learn his craft.

That's what coaches are for.

Trade Spiller for a good G.

I think Spiller's production could easily be replaced, especially with an improvement at G. Spiller doesn't help us win too much and the play of our Gs may cost us the playoffs.

Spiller is likely gone in the offseason so maybe make the trade now for a G that could help for a few years.

Would you trade your starting guard for a player who is having a crappy year and is a free agent at the end of the year?

I just don't understand why Urbik is so in the doghouse. In 2013, Pro Football Focus had him ranked as a top 20 guard. From Rotoworld "Urbik is scheduled to count $3.375 million against the cap. He graded out as a top-20 guard at PFF in 2013, receiving positive marks both in the run and pass games"

I get a lot of the Urbik love based on past performance, but seriously..... did anyone actually see him against the Chargers? He was awful. I think Chris Williams who it is much more fashionable to hate on this board has been our best performer at guard so far this season - the problem of course is getting him on the field. It also remains the case that Eric Wood is struggling. Wood has never been a dominant run blocked but he is struggling in pass protection at the moment as well. I'm now more than a little concerned.

I just don't understand why Urbik is so in the doghouse. In 2013, Pro Football Focus had him ranked as a top 20 guard. From Rotoworld "Urbik is scheduled to count $3.375 million against the cap. He graded out as a top-20 guard at PFF in 2013, receiving positive marks both in the run and pass games"

The Bills have changed their offensive scheme and now he stinks. Similar to how Spiller went from a guy who looked like he might lead the NFL in rushing to stinking.

Indeed, he was average, but at this point, average would be a huge upgrade.

Edited by CSBill