This Sunday, against the New England Patriots....

In my opinion, this is the biggest game we've had in a very very long time. We are currently tied or first in the AFCE at 3-2, with no one other then the very team that has marked us off as an automatic 2 w's, every year since 2001.

But things feel different this time around. After dominating pretty much everyone in the division for over a decade now, you can (maybe) feel that slowly but surely the evil empire is collapsing.

Now, we're coming off an emotional, improbable win on the road. The Pats* are coming into OUR house, where it's going to be loud as all hell, marking our transition into the Pegula era. This is our chance to prove that the tides have turned and its not their division anymore. Talk about a statement game, that would be an understatement.

Unlike previous years, where good starts were mere apparitions, this is a talented frickin football team. Any you bet that the coaching staff and players know that.

I'll be making the trip down from Toronto this Sunday, and I expect a crazy atmosphere. A win this week would give us a temporary stranglehold on the division, but more importantly, send a message to the rest of the NFL that the Bills are back.

GO BILLS!

People like to call games later in the season, with more acute mathematical implications, as "must win" games. And rightfully so. But I think this weeks game is a must win game. You are right....it's bigger than just first place 6 weeks in. This is a game that if won, can have that benchmark affect on a team like the Bills with all the recent history of sub-mediocrity. Biggest game of the year so far in this division.

If we win this game, it could give us enough momentum going forward to go 5-1, 6-0 over the next six, winnable, games. And that would be huge going into December when we play the broncos and packers.

If only best case scenarios came true in Buffalo...

Exactly. I think it's very possible that we go 6-2 going into our bye week.

EDIT: This isn't to say that I think the games at home against Minnesota or at the Jets are a lock by any means. Each game provides their own unique challenges.

Edited by bleujob

If we win this game, it could give us enough momentum going forward to go 5-1, 6-0 over the next six, winnable, games. And that would be huge going into December when we play the broncos and packers.

If only best case scenarios came true in Buffalo...

I kind of get excited thinking of a resurgent Bills going into Denver for a big game with Kyle Orton with revenge on his mind

I kind of get excited thinking of a resurgent Bills going into Denver for a big game with Kyle Orton with revenge on his mind

Oh yes, there will be blood. Kyle drinks your milkshake.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I agree with the OP, and I think this is one of the most important home games we've seen in this era of Bills football.

I was thinking about this earlier, trying to come up with some of the biggest non-home-opener games at the Ralph in recent memory.

Here's my top 3 from the past decade...

Nov. 6, 2011 vs. NYJ: Fresh off a spanking of the Redskins in Toronto, the Bills were 5-2 and riding high. Unfortunately, the Jets popped our balloon in an ill-conceived "white out" at The Ralph, triggering a seven-game losing streak. Final score was 27-11, but it wasn't that close.

Dec. 24, 2006 vs. TEN: The Bills won two straight and climbed back to 7-7, putting themselves right in the mix for a wild card. But, Vince Young and the Titans had other plans on a very windy day in Orchard Park. Dick Jauron famously opted to not attempt a GWing FG in lieu of a Hail Mary heave. 30-29, Tennessee won.

Jan. 2, 2005 vs. PIT: I think we all remember this debacle. A win-and-in scenario for the Bills, but Pittsburgh's mostly-backup squad dashed our postseason dreams and appropriately ended the Drew Bledsoe era in Buffalo. A 29-24 heartbreaker.

Now then, all that being said, I hope this one coming up on Sunday has a lot better odor to it after the smoke clears!

GO BILLS!!!

I agree with the OP, and I think this is one of the most important home games we've seen in this era of Bills football.

I was thinking about this earlier, trying to come up with some of the biggest non-home-opener games at the Ralph in recent memory.

Here's my top 3 from the past decade...

Nov. 6, 2011 vs. NYJ: Fresh off a spanking of the Redskins in Toronto, the Bills were 5-2 and riding high. Unfortunately, the Jets popped our balloon in an ill-conceived "white out" at The Ralph, triggering a seven-game losing streak. Final score was 27-11, but it wasn't that close.

Dec. 24, 2006 vs. TEN: The Bills won two straight and climbed back to 7-7, putting themselves right in the mix for a wild card. But, Vince Young and the Titans had other plans on a very windy day in Orchard Park. Dick Jauron famously opted to not attempt a GWing FG in lieu of a Hail Mary heave. 30-29, Tennessee won.

Jan. 2, 2005 vs. PIT: I think we all remember this debacle. A win-and-in scenario for the Bills, but Pittsburgh's mostly-backup squad dashed our postseason dreams and appropriately ended the Drew Bledsoe era in Buffalo. A 29-24 heartbreaker.

Now then, all that being said, I hope this one coming up on Sunday has a lot better odor to it after the smoke clears!

GO BILLS!!!

GULP - I was at both of those games. And I will be in attendance Sunday too!

Come to think of it, I dont think I have ever been to a game the Bills won....

Edited by peterpan

I am wary about calling any game this early in the season a must win game....but.....New England has been the plug in our playoffs hope through this century. I think beating them makes a statement that we are in it to win it in the Division. There's win-loss overall, win-loss in the division, and the ongoing demonstration of invincibility against the Bills that NE maintains that will have to be addressed as we move into the playoff ranks. I may have to re-evaluate my theory that no game this early in the season is "the most important game of the year"..

It's definitely huge. If the Bills fancy themselves as a playoff team, they can show it by beating a beatable team at home. That said, all bets are off when dealing with the Patriots, a team that knows how to win when it needs to. Not sure what happened in the Bengals game but I suspect Cincinnati was not as good as advertised even though they beat some good teams. In the NFL everything usually rights itself by the halfway point. The surprise teams get figured out and talent and good coaching end up winning out as usual. So, we will see if we have either on Sunday.

This is the biggest home game the bills have had imo since that Pittsburgh debacle. This isn't just about another win, if the Bills win it could signify the changing of the guard & proves the gap between NE & the rest of th division is finally closing. Lose & I am not saying the season is over but it will be just another reminder that NE still has a stranglehold on this division.

I would say that the Patriots 56-10 drubbing of the Bills on Sunday night in 2007 was another big home game like this. The Bills were 5-4, won 4 or 5 straight, were looking good, coming home for a raucous primetime crowd...

Good call! That's a big one, especially since the game was flexed into the SNF slot.

Forgot about that one... probably for the best, I guess :sick:

This is a big game for many obvious reasons and a win would be HUGE for the Bills playoff chances. My thinking is that a win would help more than a loss would hurt. I know that sounds stupid. What I mean is that a win would put the Bills in first place alone and would put them in control of their own destiny. Our schedule over the next 6 weeks is much more friendly than NE's. I win would put us in a great spot. That being said, a loss would not be a season ender. Still plenty of time left in the year with plenty of winnable games on the schedule and only trailing NE by 1 game. It is very possible that we win 1-2 more games than them over the remaining 10 weeks.

So, I am hoping the Bills take advantage of their momentum off the bid win in Detroit and the beginning of the Pegula Era to send New England out of Buffalo with an embarrassing defeat.

This is a big game for many obvious reasons and a win would be HUGE for the Bills playoff chances. My thinking is that a win would help more than a loss would hurt. I know that sounds stupid. What I mean is that a win would put the Bills in first place alone and would put them in control of their own destiny. Our schedule over the next 6 weeks is much more friendly than NE's. I win would put us in a great spot. That being said, a loss would not be a season ender. Still plenty of time left in the year with plenty of winnable games on the schedule and only trailing NE by 1 game. It is very possible that we win 1-2 more games than them over the remaining 10 weeks.

So, I am hoping the Bills take advantage of their momentum off the bid win in Detroit and the beginning of the Pegula Era to send New England out of Buffalo with an embarrassing defeat.

Well said and I couldn't agree more - a win is hugeeeeee and a loss, while it hurts, does not mean our end goal is out of reach - playoffs and even winning the division is still very attainable

But boy sitting 4-2 alone atop the division, with a "soft" part of our schedule coming up - that would feel and look real solid

Team .......... Bills ........................................ Purtids

Week 6 -- vs. New England (3-2) .............. @ Buffalo (3-2)

Week 7 -- vs. Minnesota Vikings (2-3) .......vs NYETS (1-4)

Week 8 -- at New York Jets (1-4) .............. vs Bears (2-3)

Week 9 -- bye ............ ............ ............... vs Bronco's (3-1)

Week 10 -- vs. Kansas City (2-3) ............. bye

Week 11 -- at Dolphins (2-2) ................. @ Indy (3-2)

Week 12 -- vs. Jets (1-4) ..........................vs Detroit (3-2)

Week 13 -- vs. Browns (2-3) .................. @ Packers (3-2)

Week 14 -- @ Bronco's (3-1) ................. @ Chargers (4-1)

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

it IS the biggest game of all time! It is the closest thing we have had to a playoff game at home in some 20 years. The outcome could very well decide the division.

Its the biggest game in Marrone era.... lets not forget we played them in 2008 when we were BOTH 5-3 and that was the year that Brady was hurt week 1 and Cassel was their QB and we still lost 20-10..... THAT game was DEVASTATING loss and would have put us in REAL position to win division as it was week 10 both of us had our byes and identical records.....

That game brings back BAD memories!

Here is an idea.... EVERYONE do EXACTLY what you did last sunday leading up to gametime. Same wake up time, same exact breakfast, same pre-game-ritual, even wear exact same thing, clean or dirty!!!!! As Robert Deniro said in Silver Lining Playbook, we need all the JUJU we can get for this game!!!!!!

Its too early in the year to be "most important" game but it sure is a BIG game... As some have pointed out: head to head, division record, conference record are main tie breakers in Division and wild card races. Have a feeling with Zero unbeaten teams this early in the yr, tie breakers will probably be HUGE factor in getting into playoffs either as WC or division winner... To beat NE would mean worst case, we split with them, we already got another division W under our belt but we are only 1-2 in conference as 2 of our wins were vs NFC..

I wish i could fast forward week to 1pm sunday!!!!!!

GO BILLS!

the bad part about losing this game is a few things

It gives NE the upper hand again and also allows them to get more comfortable in winning mode. Will be down by 1 game to NE with a head to head loss and the last game of the season @ a place we never won.

So if it relegates Buffalo to a wild card chase. We can almost write off 1 spot to San Diego as they look really good and own head to head. That means Buffalo will have to beat out every one of PIT, BAL, CLE, TEN, KC, MIA, and HOU (who have head to head).

win, and Buffalo has another win, a 1(+) game lead on the Patriots with head to head and 2-0 in division vs 0-2. Buffalo has a number of easy games coming up... and the Patriots will again have a lot of scrutiny and headed toward a kind of brutal stretch: Jets (short week and the Jets always seem to give them fits), Chicago, Denver, @ Indy, Detroit, @ Green Bay, @ San Diego.

So many big game and the Bills havent been able to get over that hump. Really, this game is it. They can make a huge statement that this is a new day. The AFC East would be the Bills' to lose.

Edited by May Day 10

Come to think of it, I dont think I have ever been to a game the Bills won....

The Bills only won one game I attended...in Tampa Bay, early 90s...and they almost lost THAT game to the lowly Bucs. Final score was something like 9-6. The last game I attended was in Arizona when Trent Edwards had his life pass before his eyes.

Interestingly, they lose when I'm not there, so...

Its the biggest game in Marrone era.... lets not forget we played them in 2008 when we were BOTH 5-3 and that was the year that Brady was hurt week 1 and Cassel was their QB and we still lost 20-10..... THAT game was DEVASTATING loss and would have put us in REAL position to win division as it was week 10 both of us had our byes and identical records.....

That game brings back BAD memories!

I have erased all of these game from my memory, though. New team, looking forward!

I think we have a good chance of winning this one. The Patriots have beaten us the last few years by running all over us, and that's how they beat the Bengals Sunday night too. They're going to have a much harder time doing that this Sunday. We've already faced Matt Forte and Arian Foster and are still the #1 ranked run D in the league. The longest run we've given up is 14 yards and we're the only team in the league that hasn't given up a rushing TD.

The Patriots' RBs aren't even on the same level as Foster or Forte, and their offensive line isn't nearly as good as it used to be so their run blocking will be worse. I see our Dline dominating their Oline during the run, stuffing them, and then pressuring Brady all day when they're forced to stick with the passing game.

The crowd is going to be insane.

One reason I am very encouraged for this game is the similarity between Buffalo's offensive design and talent and that of Kansas City, who just took the Pats apart. Some might say that the Pats just played a bad game, but it looked more to me like KC out classed them on talent of their offense to the Pats defense, and the design of the offense took advantage of the mismatches that existed to perfection. If Orton can operate as efficiently as Smith did in that game (and I certainly think he can), The Bills could dominate this game. Their front seven will dominate the other way, and if we can get Brady behind, it could be lights out.

This is a game that Hacket should definitely de-emphasize the power formations, with two tights ends or a fullback. They need to spread the relatively weak NE front seven out and attack. Bubble screens, slants, and swing passes will be there and so will running lanes. The Bills have the speed to nail these guys. If they react to this, its down the seam. This is the game to be more aggressive - the Patriots can be had.

I agree that this is a huge game. It's a game that really scares me, since the Patriots proved this week that they still have the capability to explode on offense, against a very good defense too. This is exactly the type of game that can propel an upstart to greater things or derail a team for the season. Win and I really do like our chances of finishing above .500 and maybe making the playoffs. A close loss wouldn't be the end of the world, but if the Patriots blow our doors off (like they have in the past or like the Jets did at the Ralph in 2011) I can see this season getting ugly. I'm hoping that the veteran presence at QB is the difference between this year and all those past failures.