• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this game:

- Penalties were down

- Team was not distracted by events of past week

- Has less practice time

- Came out and whipped the rear of a division foe

Can the pitchforks be kept away for a bit ?

No sir. His clock management is still awful. That end of half possession where they almost scored on the bomb to Decker should not have even taken place.

Less practice time and they do better...sounds like they need to keep him away from the team more often!

No sir. His clock management is still awful. That end of half possession where they almost scored on the bomb to Decker should not have even taken place.

Less practice time and they do better...sounds like they need to keep him away from the team more often!

Wait what? Clock management was bad...like the near miss on AW's blown coverage?

Jesus.

In this game:

- Penalties were down

- Team was not distracted by events of past week

- Has less practice time

- Came out and whipped the rear of a division foe

Can the pitchforks be kept away for a bit ?

Considering I didn't start this thread again, who's bringing the pitchforks?

If we played the 2-9 Jets every week, Marrone would be Lombardi. The sole reason we are 6-5 is the defense. Marrone was supposed to be an innovative offensive coach. Our offense is not good.

My thoughts haven't changed one bit. I want to be prove wrong. We laid complete turds in the KC and Miami games and have no margin for error. Kyle Orton is Peyton Mannjng against the Jets. In the other 5 games, he has 6 tds and 4 turnovers.

If we don't at least go 9-7 with Orton starting, this is a failure of a season and Marrone should be let go for a real offensive mind. This defense could win the SB but is held back by a subpar offense. Our head coach's specialty.

I was the king of settling for mediocre results. Not anymore. Marrone is a dime a dozen NFL coach.

Exactly which part of my post are you disagreeing with me ?

So you are crediting the defense for the 6 wins but blaming Marrone for the 5 losses ? Is that the gist of what you are saying ?

Edited by Fan in Chicago

If we played the 2-9 Jets every week, Marrone would be Lombardi. The sole reason we are 6-5 is the defense. Marrone was supposed to be an innovative offensive coach. Our offense is not good.

My thoughts haven't changed one bit. I want to be prove wrong. We laid complete turds in the KC and Miami games and have no margin for error. Kyle Orton is Peyton Mannjng against the Jets. In the other 5 games, he has 6 tds and 4 turnovers.

If we don't at least go 9-7 with Orton starting, this is a failure of a season and Marrone should be let go for a real offensive mind. This defense could win the SB but is held back by a subpar offense. Our head coach's specialty.

I was the king of settling for mediocre results. Not anymore. Marrone is a dime a dozen NFL coach.

Got it. So a defense that sets the tone, nothing to do with the HC.

Fumbles, missed receivers and sailed passes and that's all him? Okay.

OK, Coach Marrone gets credit for the D for hiring Schwartz and getting the hell out of the way.

But offense is his thing. He was OC of the Saints for crying out loud. He hired Hackett Jr. Our O is horrid. Shouldn't Coach Marrone take some of the blame for this? Or should it just all go to the players?

OK, Coach Marrone gets credit for the D for hiring Schwartz and getting the hell out of the way.

But offense is his thing. He was OC of the Saints for crying out loud. He hired Hackett Jr. Our O is horrid. Shouldn't Coach Marrone take some of the blame for this? Or should it just all go to the players?

I'm not saying the offense isn't horrid. Haven't once.

But the things the offense does wrong...the fumbles, sailed passes, overlooking WIDE OPEN RECEIVERS, that has nothing do with game planning. I've cited over and over and over again the player errors that have cost us dearly. The PLAYER errors that posters keep wanting to pin directly on Marrone...WHILE the good things that happen on defense are completely...oh Jesus, forget it.

The Bills beat a horrifically bad 2-8 team that their QB didn't get more then 50 passing yards in the first half, and was benched in the second half. The guy who relieved that first QB was benched in the last time the Bills played, and so that team showed they have no decent viable QB on their roster. Now that the Bills beat this very bad team with their mediocre team the Kool-aid drinkers are out in force to protect their beloved loser coaches.

The Bills did present a much more balanced offensive attack this game with 29 rushes vs 32 passes. No turnovers, and only allowed one sack. They actually had 4 complete series where they got the ball, and drove down the field for a TD.

Not a lot of negativity can be brought into this game because it was a one sided dominate performance all around.

Now, if the Bills can play this way at home this Sunday against the 7-4 Browns, or at Denver against the AFC West division leaders currently at 8-3 the week after. Or at home against the NFC division leading Green Bay packers currently at 8-3.

They should easily beat the more hapless then the Jets Oakland Raiders currently at 1-10 on the road in Oakland. Then for the final game of the season they face their eternal nemesis in the New England Patriots lead by the devil himself in Tom Brady.

Will they finish 7-9 or something better? Will they beat a team with a better record in these last 5 games?

But the things the offense does wrong...the fumbles, sailed passes, overlooking WIDE OPEN RECEIVERS, that has nothing do with game planning. I've cited over and over and over again the player errors that have cost us dearly. The PLAYER errors that posters keep wanting to pin directly on Marrone...WHILE the good things that happen on defense are completely...oh Jesus, forget it.

Couldn't the same things be said for Gailey and Jauron? All the Fitz late game picks and SJ drops, Gailey didn't tell them to do that. Dick didn't tell Jason Peters not to block the DE on JP's last play as a Bill resulting in a fumble recovery and TD and win for the Jets.

I think if a team is not executing, the HC has a lot to answer for that. Good coaches get the best out of their players. If the players don't start executing better, Coach Marrone will pay with this job.

Chip Kelly is going to get blamed if his offense is bad. They have a shaky defense but he is an offensive coach.

Head coach's have specialties. You don't hire a guy like Schwartz to oversee the defense. It's why Pettine came here. He wanted to prove himself without Rex.

Exactly which part of my post are you disagreeing with me ?

So you are crediting the defense for the 6 wins but blaming Marrone for the 5 losses ? Is that the gist of what you are saying ?

They only reason Marrone hasn't been fired is because we have a top 5 defense, run by a former head coach who was a long time DC. Schwartz won't come here if Marrone was breathing down his neck.

Pep talks don't matter in NFL. Why wasn't Urbik starting? Why has our oline regressed? Why has Orton, minus the dog crap Jets, regressed?

But it's because of those pep talks Marrone give Mario, Jerry, and Dareus why the defense is good.

Couldn't the same things be said for Gailey and Jauron? All the Fitz late game picks and SJ drops, Gailey didn't tell them to do that. Dick didn't tell Jason Peters not to block the DE on JP's last play as a Bill resulting in a fumble recovery and TD and win for the Jets.

I think if a team is not executing, the HC has a lot to answer for that. Good coaches get the best out of their players. If the players don't start executing better, Coach Marrone will pay with this job.

I agree for the most part.

Perfect example: last night, the failed fourth and one. The gameday thread lit up like a Christmas tree with posters bitching about the play call even AFTER the slow mo replay clearly showed the tackling defender shedding a double team like it wasn't even there.

Chip Kelly is going to get blamed if his offense is bad. They have a shaky defense but he is an offensive coach.

Head coach's have specialties. You don't hire a guy like Schwartz to oversee the defense. It's why Pettine came here. He wanted to prove himself without Rex.

Jesus. Chip Kelly is a HC/OC just like Gailey was. Rex is a HC/DC.

Marrone does not fit this category JUST BECAUSE he used to be a coordinator and played some ball himself.

In fact, he doubly doesn't deserve this distinction since he served under a HC/OC in Sean Payton.

I agree for the most part.

Perfect example: last night, the failed fourth and one. The gameday thread lit up like a Christmas tree with posters bitching about the play call even AFTER the slow mo replay clearly showed the tackling defender shedding a double team like it wasn't even there.

Jesus. Chip Kelly is a HC/OC just like Gailey was. Rex is a HC/DC.

Marrone does not fit this category JUST BECAUSE he used to be a coordinator and played some ball himself.

In fact, he doubly doesn't deserve this distinction since he served under a HC/OC in Sean Payton.

You are flat out crazy if you think Jim Schwartz or Mike Pettine would come here and have Marrone telling them what to do with their defense. Nuts.

I'm not saying the offense isn't horrid. Haven't once.

There is a clear, and present reason why the team (QB) doesn't play well against the better defenses, and that is because the Bills are fielding a very bad offensive line. The QB tends to throw wild passes for the simple reason the interior line is so bad he can't step up in the pocket to complete those mid range to deep passes. Bad Coaching!

The game planning, and play calling have been very subject since the Chargers game in week 3 when the OC went pass happy with 39 passes vs 22 rushes. This despite the fact that the Bills were getting 4.0 YPC. The very next game against a weak against the run Texans it was even more compounded when the blatant moron of an OC has EJ throw 44 times vs 23 rushes when the Bills were getting 4.2 YPC by running. This allowed the Texans to get their only real defensive weapon in their fierce pass rush (JJ Watt) to have a field day against EJ. Same problem with the interior O line was so bad EJ couldn't step up to complete a pass, and was thus so wildly inaccurate. Bad Coaching!

For whatever reason the HC decided to bench his best offensive guard for a rookie who played like the worst OG in the NFL, and then started a RT at RG. This move was completely stupid and cost the team games before Urbik was inserted back into the lineup again at LG. Still the RG situation is unbelievably bad, and a big reason as to why the team can't run off right guard. Or have great difficulty running against good defenses in general. A bad O line for two years now. Bad Coaching!

So, the Bills swept one of the very worst teams in the NFL to inflate their current 6-5 record by two games. Sorry, I'm not impressed at this point. Perhaps should the team beat one or more of the upcoming better teams then I might start thinking the team is actually improving.

Currently the Bills are fielding a super bowl defense #4 ranked defense, and #1 in sacks with 46 sacks. They need 72 to break the record. The problem with this years team is they are fielding a very bad 26th ranked offense with a HC who has an extensive offensive background.

Great coaching on defense! Very poor coaching on offense!

Barring the playoffs of course.

This is a desperate move that is not in the best interests of the franchise. First, a quick list of young Qbs' rookie year OCs;

Geno smith - Marty Morteweig (former head coach, multiple NFL OC)

Andrew Luck - bruce Arians (Multiple NFL OC)

Russell Wilson - Darrell Bevel (multiple NFL OC)

Colin Kapernick - Roman (multiple NFL OC)

Teddy Bridgewater - Norv Turner (one of the best offensive coaches in the NFL)

RG3 - Shanahan family (great offensive mind)

EJ - Hackett (Syracuse OC who's dad helped he get where he is)

So right from the start, EJ was at a seriously disadvantage. Watching how some players regressed last year (Stevie & CJ in particular), are we sure he is good?

So there is the lack of a proven NFL OC which would benefit a young qb tremendously. But I think Marrone should go because he is bailing on the qb he helped selected in the 1st round after less than 16 games. He needs to be help accountable for that.

I'd have a lot more respect for him if he went down with the EJ ship. But instead, he is taking the "safe" route with a known mediocre at best qb.

I'm a Bills fan first and foremost. I'm probably too optimist about this team. It means a lot to me and I let it clog my judgement at times. But I hate this move. Anything less than the playoffs, the Bills should bail on Marrone like he bailed on EJ.

P.S. Kevin Sumlin would be at the top of my list. He's developed many average talents and made them superstars.

no top tier prospect wants to coach the Bills. who'd want THAT job.. ?

With our current talent level, this is a very attractive job. We also have an owner who is willing to spend a lot of money.

Why do we always have to settle for mediocre?

give us chip kelly's schedule and I'll take our chances......Marrone isnt going anywhere, I like where this team is at as we go through year TWO. Leave things alone and let them continue to build for year three.

If we had Chip Kelly, we'd be a lock for the playoffs and challenging the Pats for the division.

With our current talent level, this is a very attractive job. We also have an owner who is willing to spend a lot of money.

Why do we always have to settle for mediocre?

If we had Chip Kelly, we'd be a lock for the playoffs and challenging the Pats for the division.

Prove it. How much more talented is it from 2012? +Sammy - SJ13?

not that this is alone is a good reason to fire marrone (i'd like to give him another year, possibly with a new OC) but marrone's post-game locker-room speeches really suck. every time one of those videos drops on the BB website, well, i never feel as unmotivated as i do while watching that man speak.

Marrone is coming back. He handled this situation well and the team will finish at least 8-8.

He totally screwed the o-line situation but Whaley will bring in somebody to replace Pears.

Watkins will eb crazy good next year.

Only way Marrone doesn't come back is if he pulls a Wade Phillips and refuses to get rid of Hackett.

This isn't the same old Bills ownership that would micromanage the head coach & GM by phone from a different city all season long, as no legit decent NFL HC would have stood still for that. No more meddling in the draft process, or hiring the least expensive head coaches. Along with the hiring of one that would give the least resistance to his total control of power as president of the team. Because the owners health was failing the last few years the marketing guy with a baseball background has been making the more important team decisions.

All that has changed with new rock solid stable ownership that is 100% committed to winning above all else, and a team of players that already has a good cast of some elite talent. Particularly a top 5 defense unit with one of their best players on IR. The offense is very fixable, and should have been taken care of the first year of this two year regime.

This team no longer needs the "moneyball" philosophy of attempting to make things work with less then decent players brought fourth by that money, marketing, baseball guy simply because the new owner is one of the richest in the league.

There isn't a prospective person in the world who would turn down being hired by this team now as they will spare no expense in the hiring of their next head coach. I would think that the 7-8 million that is being paid to the highest paid NFL coaches will no longer be a roadblock in the hiring of their next HC.

Jim Harbaugh who is currently being paid 5 mill per by the 49ers would love to be paid equal to what his brother John is being paid by Baltimore at 7 mill per.

Why settle for scrubs coaches who have already proven they can't even come close to competing with the Bill Belichick's of the league...why?

Edited by FeartheLosing

Marrone is coming back.

Only way Marrone doesn't come back is if he pulls a Wade Phillips and refuses to get rid of Hackett.

IMHO, Hackett is as good as gone. There is already rumours that Marrone is calling plays. I have said it before that having rookies at HC, OC,and QB all in one year was a critical mistake. An experienced OC would have made a world of difference. But, Marrone has kept the team together. He has not been perfect but he has been more right than wrong and I would like to see him coach with a better OC and QB.

Marrone is coming back.

IMHO, Hackett is as good as gone. There is already rumours that Marrone is calling plays. I have said it before that having rookies at HC, OC,and QB all in one year was a critical mistake. An experienced OC would have made a world of difference. But, Marrone has kept the team together. He has not been perfect but he has been more right than wrong and I would like to see him coach with a better OC and QB.

Well, we matched out last season's win total in 11 games and I've always been a proponent of continuity. We've gone from sad-sack to competitive during Marrone's tenure.

That said, Mike Pettine and Jim Schwartz probably have more to do with this turnaround than Marrone. It makes me sad that we could be wasting an all-time great defensive line unit.

I think sentiment will change as the year progresses.

Still think that way after a 7-9 season?

If it is a 7-9 with 4 competitive defeats I think he probably is back. If we get blown out by New England, Green Bay and Denver by 20 plus points then I think he could be gone.

I like the toughness that this team has and I think Marrone brought that. Count me as a supporter for at least one more year

Me too.

From this article:

Offensive tackle Seantrel Henderson said. "And hey, we fight. That's what we do. Coach Marrone always preaches that we're still in the race. We can still win out. We can beat anybody in the NFL. We all believe that. We rallied around coach Marrone and the whole coaching staff, and we're just going to keep riding this thing out. That's what we're going to do."

"We stuck together, really," wide receiver Mike Williams said.

After the game, Marrone was asked whether the win, after the week the Bills and Western New York had, was one of his finest moments in his 27-game, NFL head coaching career.

"Hopefully not," he said bluntly.

But to date, it has to be up there, right?

"You guys know how I am," Marrone quipped. "I've got zero personality. I'm already looking toward next week. We have to get in and get this done. ...

I like him and think that Bills fans are unnecessarily taking out frustrations from people before him. He has this team playing tough hard nosed football. He has this team competing in every single game. He has matched the win total from each of the last 4 years in 11 games. He is doing a good job.

I like the toughness that this team has and I think Marrone brought that. Count me as a supporter for at least one more year

One of the best, most simple, intelligent posts I've seem in awhile. Agree wholeheartedly!

If it is a 7-9 with 4 competitive defeats I think he probably is back. If we get blown out by New England, Green Bay and Denver by 20 plus points then I think he could be gone.

The Bills have one of the toughest remaining schedules, only SD is tougher. So the sentiment seems to be they go 7-9/8-8 tops. I'm wondering, and I have no evidence other than I think they have pretty unfortunate a couple times, if they don't finish stronger than many think. The past week may have created a rallying cry and another solid win this week could get the train rolling. Even a competitive loss at Denver, followed by beating Oakland, should give them momentum coming home to play Green Bay.

Barring a complete disaster I don't think Marrone is fired.

Edited by 75Bills

I think the jury is still out on whether he will be back. Finish strong and he's back. Collapse at the end and he's gone. I think it's as simple as that. Depends on how the team does these last five games.

At the moment I would think ownership is thrilled with this team. But an 8-8 record is very likely from the look of the schedule.--very tough decision to make. 9-6 record guarantees a return of all staff who want to stay.

My 2 cents.....

1. My worry is Jerry Hughes does not seem to like Marrone.... We need Hughes more than we need Marrone. Unless you bring in a superstar HC... I think Hughes is gone.

2. How good is our DC, is he ready to be a HC again?

3. I like Hackett... he seems to be learning and growing. We might regret loosing Hackett one day.

4. EJ needs more time on the bench...Marrone did the right thing.

No head coach is perfect... none. We all see our head coach's flaws. Can we live with them? Are they fatal to our goal of playoffs next year?

Is it worth the risk to have a coach that is better, but has bigger flaws (like Rex Ryan)? Or a worse coach (Dick J.) with fewer flaws? Or an exciting coach retread (John Gruden) that the game may have passed him by?

Marrone is better than the last 4 coaches we have had.... it's not even close. I am sick of switching coaches... I want to play this out another year or two.

Edited by Iraq Vet

I'm wondering, and I have no evidence other than I think they have pretty unfortunate a couple times, if they don't finish stronger than many think. The past week may have created a rallying cry and another solid win this week could get the train rolling. Even a competitive loss at Denver, followed by beating Oakland, should give them momentum coming home to play Green Bay.

Oh I agree. I have said elsewhere that adversity can sometimes rally a team to do something special, let's hope that is the case here. I think the Oakland game comes after Green Bay though.

One of the best, most simple, intelligent posts I've seem in awhile. Agree wholeheartedly!

The Bills have one of the toughest remaining schedules, only SD is tougher. So the sentiment seems to be they go 7-9/8-8 tops. I'm wondering, and I have no evidence other than I think they have pretty unfortunate a couple times, if they don't finish stronger than many think. The past week may have created a rallying cry and another solid win this week could get the train rolling. Even a competitive loss at Denver, followed by beating Oakland, should give them momentum coming home to play Green Bay.

While I do not disagree with you, if the team believes it is a playoff caliber team that tough schedule should not be as tough to the team. They would need to show that can beat some of those tough teams. I agree playing competitively is necessary; however, the Bills have had there fair share of "morale victories" over that past 15 years. If they want to move forward and prove they have, they need to show they can flip those "morale victories" into actual ones.

My 2 cents.....

1. My worry is Jerry Hughes does not seem to like Marrone.... We need Hughes more than we need Marrone. Unless you bring in a superstar HC... I think Hughes is gone.

2. How good is our DC, is he ready to be a HC again?

3. I like Hackett... he seems to be learning and growing. We might regret loosing Hackett one day.

4. EJ needs more time on the bench...Marrone did the right thing.

No head coach is perfect... none. We all see our head coach's flaws. Can we live with them? Are they fatal to our goal of playoffs next year?

Is it worth the risk to have a coach that is better, but has bigger flaws (like Rex Ryan)? Or a worse coach (Dick J.) with fewer flaws? Or an exciting coach retread (John Gruden) that the game may have passed him by?

Marrone is better than the last 4 coaches we have had.... it's not even close. I am sick of switching coaches... I want to play this out another year or two.

You sure about that? Do you think Belichick(not that Marrone is close to Billy's level) has gotten along with every player there over the years? Doubt it, and good thing NE decided to keep their coach instead of a player. You don't get rid of the coach because ONE player isn't getting along with him. Geez!

You sure about that? Do you think Belichick(not that Marrone is close to Billy's level) has gotten along with every player there over the years? Doubt it, and good thing NE decided to keep their coach instead of a player. You don't get rid of the coach because ONE player isn't getting along with him. Geez!

If Marone can demand and receive the respect and dedication from players as Bill B does, he'll be our coach for another decade.