Why I think Marrone should be fired...

C.Biscuit97

Barring the playoffs of course.

This is a desperate move that is not in the best interests of the franchise. First, a quick list of young Qbs' rookie year OCs;

Geno smith - Marty Morteweig (former head coach, multiple NFL OC)

Andrew Luck - bruce Arians (Multiple NFL OC)

Russell Wilson - Darrell Bevel (multiple NFL OC)

Colin Kapernick - Roman (multiple NFL OC)

Teddy Bridgewater - Norv Turner (one of the best offensive coaches in the NFL)

RG3 - Shanahan family (great offensive mind)

EJ - Hackett (Syracuse OC who's dad helped he get where he is)

So right from the start, EJ was at a seriously disadvantage. Watching how some players regressed last year (Stevie & CJ in particular), are we sure he is good?

So there is the lack of a proven NFL OC which would benefit a young qb tremendously. But I think Marrone should go because he is bailing on the qb he helped selected in the 1st round after less than 16 games. He needs to be help accountable for that.

I'd have a lot more respect for him if he went down with the EJ ship. But instead, he is taking the "safe" route with a known mediocre at best qb.

I'm a Bills fan first and foremost. I'm probably too optimist about this team. It means a lot to me and I let it clog my judgement at times. But I hate this move. Anything less than the playoffs, the Bills should bail on Marrone like he bailed on EJ.

P.S. Kevin Sumlin would be at the top of my list. He's developed many average talents and made them superstars.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a desperate move that is not in the best interests of the franchise. First, a quick list of young Qbs' rookie year OCs;

So right from the start, EJ was at a seriously disadvantage. Watching how some players regressed last year (Stevie & CJ in particular), are we sure he is good?

So there is the lack of a proven NFL OC which would benefit a young qb tremendously. But I think Marrone should go because he is bailing on the qb he helped selected in the 1st round after less than 16 games. He needs to be help accountable for that.

I'd have a lot more respect for him if he went down with the EJ ship. But instead, he is taking the "safe" route with a known mediocre at best qb.

I'm a Bills fan first and foremost. I'm probably too optimist about this team. It means a lot to me and I let it clog my judgement at times. But I hate this move. Anything less than the playoffs, the Bills should bail on Marrone like he bailed on EJ.

P.S. Kevin Sumlin would be at the top of my list. He's developed many average talents and made them superstars.

Your love for EJ is unbelievable. Fire an HC for benching him after a horrific game? Good god Biscuit, get it together.

CJ stinks. SJ13 had 3 good years with Fitz because he was the only NFL WR on the team those years.

You may have more respect going 4-12 with EJ, but I have more respect for Marrone being a man, saying EJ isn't playing well enough, and having the stones to make a change, when he knows it's going to be a media firestorm.

ALSO

Norv Turner stinks. Like really bad. Ruined a Chargers team that had the most talent on both sides of the ball for 3 years. Shanny has sucked ever since he had a QB not named Elway. Morhinweg actively lost the Jets a game by calling a stupid timeout that he actually couldn't even do.

Hackett's greatest fault is what? Getting open receivers that the QB can't hit?

Edited by FireChan

I want him fired for bailing on the guy he selected after less than 16 starts.

Why should we ever trust him to draft and develop a qb again?

Coaches don't make draft picks. I'm sure he was in favor of EJ but he didn't make the choice. And there were not any better choices. I still would take EJ over Geno and Mike Glennon.

Coaches don't make draft picks. I'm sure he was in favor of EJ but he didn't make the choice. And there were not any better choices. I still would take EJ over Geno and Mike Glennon.

I don't know why you're certain about Glennon, he's clearly above the other two guys.

There's no way he wasn't 100% on board with EJ. And if he wasn't, he should have pushed more for other qb options.

Would you rather he go down with EJ, or go down swinging? At a certain point you need to make a choice between development and winning.

Would you rather he go down with EJ, or go down swinging? At a certain point you need to make a choice between development and winning.

He wants him fired for not plugging his eyes and ears, and refusing to admit he didn't have a good QB yet. Isn't that how Chan got fired?

EJ isn't going to be a good QB...he is showing virtually no signs of "getting it". I mean Teddy Bridgewater in his first NFL start looked much better than EJ ever has in any of the games he's played. Threw for 317 yards in under 3 full quarters too...

"barring the playoffs of course"

LOL

This thread is a joke. But hey biscuit, what took you so long to lay this egg?

No more of a joke that you trying to argue every mundane point with people because you're bored.

This is my nomination for the worst thread of 2014. I've had previous nominations, but I'm changing my answer.

And you're my nomination for worst poster of the year. Congrats!

EJ isn't going to be a good QB...he is showing virtually no signs of "getting it". I mean Teddy Bridgewater in his first NFL start looked much better than EJ ever has in any of the games he's played. Threw for 317 yards in under 3 full quarters too...

You're a rookie qb. Who would you rather learn under - Nate Hackett or Norv Turner? Really close huh?

This thread has to be a joke. Shanahan, as in Kyle Shanahan whos dad helped him get to where he is? The same Shanahans who were then fired for how bad the team was?

Edited by jletha

No more of a joke that you trying to argue every mundane point with people because you're bored.

Any responses to how half of your list of "great developmental OC's" all suck?

You're a week away from an "I need to take a break from TBD" topic. Seriously, this thread is hysterical, and not the good kind. You need to slow down.

Do you see the list of coaches that are fired after leading improving their record in their second season? Let's wait and see what happens this year.

As always, a fair response. But anything less than a playoff berth and he is gone. Then, the Bills have to start this circle jerk all over again.

Do you really think Orton is taking us to the playoffs? Our division is terrible though.

You're a rookie qb. Who would you rather learn under - Nate Hackett or Norv Turner? Really close huh?

You could change your s/n to FireMarrone

This thread has to be a joke. Shanahan, as in Kyle Shanahan whos dad helped him get to where he is? The same Shanahans who were then fired for how bad the team was?

You're right. Mike Shanahan never did anything. He never won a SB. He didn't help RG3 into a rookie of the year.

You really are comparing learning from the Shanahans to learning from Hackett?

You could change your s/n to FireMarrone

Haha. Well unlike the other tools who would rather be right on a message board, I'd love to be wrong. I want people to keep pumping this thread as Orton rips up the NFL. I will buy him a bottle of jack and apologize.

But I've seen Orton play. The backup qb is the most popular guy in town until they actually have to play.

Nah, not because I'm bored. Just pointing out BS when I see it.

But this thread is just silly--and totally predictable.

You would fire Marrone because he sat a struggling QB--unless the Bills make the playoffs with the struggling QBs replacement!

See? I'm not bored at all--I love this stuff. The more crazy, the more better!

With respect to EJ being replaced tt doesn't matter who selected EJ? The issue isn't who was on board when he was selected as it is who gives you a chance to win or at least compete. Haven't you watched the games and the atrocious play of the qb? It's not conclusive that EJ can be or not be a starter in this league but it is blatantly obvious, to his suporters and his critics, that as it stands he can't handle the job.

Criticizing the coaches for not adequately coaching him up is an unfair accusation. No level of coaching can compensate for a qb that can't throw accurately. It doesn't matter what play you call if the qb can't complete a pass to a receiver when he is open. Even when he completes his passes the ball placement is usually horrendous.

The HC and staff not only did the right thing for the team with his benching but they did the right thing for the overwhelmed qb. He needs to step back and work on his game on the practice field. He is currently a befuddled player who needs to regather himself.

You're right. Mike Shanahan never did anything. He never won a SB. He didn't help RG3 into a rookie of the year.

You really are comparing learning from the Shanahans to learning from Hackett?

Watch this Biscuit.

Why I think Marrone should be fired

This is a desperate move that is not in the best interests of the franchise. First, a quick list of some new system OC's QB's

EJ - Hackett

So right from the start, Hackett was at a seriously disadvantage. Watching how some players regressed (Stevie & all of our WR's), are we sure EJ is good?

So there is the lack of a solid QB which would benefit a young OC tremendously. But I think Marrone should go because he is bailing on the OC he hand picked with less than 16 games with his starter. He needs to be held accountable for that.

I'd have a lot more respect for him if he went down with the Hackett ship. But instead, he is taking the "safe" route with a known mediocre at best OC.

I'm a Bills fan first and foremost. I'm probably too optimist about this team. It means a lot to me and I let it clog my judgement at times. But I hate this move. Anything less than the playoffs, the Bills should bail on Marrone like he bailed on Hackett.

Edited by FireChan

Bailing at 2-2 and tied for first seems way too early for me. What if Orton plays like Orton? When do you go back to EJ?

2-2 and skidding fast. If Orton stinks it up, go back to the drawing board. There had to have been more to the benching than one bad half in Houston.

Nah, not because I'm bored. Just pointing out BS when I see it.

But this thread is just silly--and totally predictable.

You would fire Marrone because he sat a struggling QB--unless the Bills make the playoffs with the struggling QBs replacement!

See? I'm not bored at all--I love this stuff. The more crazy, the more better!

Oh, you're bored. Feel free to not post in it because you're adding nothing but your usual nonsense.

2-2 and skidding fast. If Orton stinks it up, go back to the drawing board. There had to have been more to the benching than one bad half in Houston.

I just see this as Kelly Holcomb all over again. And I think EJ has more potential than JP. Mularkey got fired and then the Bills actually got a decent season out of JP.

EJ certainly has a lot of blame to shoulder. But a lot of this offense has regressed since Gailey left. The oline. Stevie Johnson looks like the guy he was under Gailey and not what he was last year in SF. Spiller was one of he best weapons in the NFL under Chan.

Why is it not crazy to think that maybe coaching is holding this team back?

There certainly was more to his benching: A player revotl! Most obvious the receivers were blatantly (unprofessionally) showing their frustration with his erratic passes. Everyone in the organization is well aware that Orton is a pedestrian qb, a backup at best. And everyone knows that at this point he gives the team a better chance to win than the confused young qb he is replacing.

Bailing at 2-2 and tied for first seems way too early for me. What if Orton plays like Orton? When do you go back to EJ?

If Orton plays like Orton they will never go back to EJ. Are you unable to wrap your head around how putrid EJ has played the last two weeks? Let me put it to you this way: The gap between the level that Fitzpatrick/Orton is at/should be at (we'll see of course) and where EJ is at is about as big as the gap between Aaron Rodgers and Fitzpatrick/Orton. Not hyperbole.

Oh, you're bored. Feel free to not post in it because you're adding nothing but your usual nonsense.

You're right in this instance--I'm not adding anything to your thread. I'm echoing its dubiousness as pointed out by nearly every other responder. They must all be bored as well...

And Mularkey wasn't fired.

And Stevie has 3 of his 4 games with less than 3 catches and less than 50 yards in SF this year

Edited by Mr. WEO

He doesn't stink, he's an average caliber QB, which is above the other two.

We will just have to agree that you are wrong. :nana: He's below average, too. My take on him is that there are at least 15 components to being a successful franchise QB in this league and Glennon possesses about 2-3 of them. He can look good at times because he's Ryan Mallet, and he's tall with a rocket arm that is sometimes accurate. So he can throw a beautiful ball a few times a game which makes fans overrate guys like him. I would probably take Geno and EJ over Glennon, even if Glennon has looked better than both at times. I don't think Glennon has a chance to be a franchise guy.

If Orton plays like Orton they will never go back to EJ. Are you unable to wrap your head around how putrid EJ has played the last two weeks? Let me put it to you this way: The gap between the level that Fitzpatrick/Orton is at/should be at (we'll see of course) and where EJ is at is about as big as the gap between Aaron Rodgers and Fitzpatrick/Orton. Not hyperbole.

You'd be surprised how many "EJ" starts Orton has had in his career.

And it's not really just about Orton or EJ. It's the same stupid mindset this franchise has had. You believe in a guy enough to draft him then you bench him for a journeyman. When has it worked for us?

I would love for Orton to prove me wrong. I would love the Bills to go on a tear. But it's going to be the same old crap. Fire the coaches and have to start over with a new qb.