Why I think Marrone should be fired...

C.Biscuit97

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That means that you're prejudging (i.e., prejudiced, literally). Some coaches' sons are fine. Belichik is the son of a coach. So are the Harbaughs. Every individual is different. Let's see how the offense does now with a professional-level (albeit still-just-average) QB.

You gotta admit, it is kind of crazy to think guys that grow up around football and mentored from childhood by professional NFL football coaches would grow up knowing how to be football coaches.

Is anyone else old enough to remember when Tom Landry used to alternate between Craig Morton and Roger Staubach? Landry went to the Super Bowl with both those QBs. There's no coaching rule that says you have to stay with the same QB forever. Yep, fans and players both like continuity under center. But it's not the right answer for every circumstance.

I won't say Marrone is a great coach - that remains to be seen. But this is the right move at the right time. EJ seems to be regressing while Orton has been progressing with his understanding of the offense.

Interesting point. I've been trying to remember QBs who were benched and then later got their act together for that same team and became stars.... Going back to stauback is a little farther than my general football memory goes.

Was Warner benched in AZ before the Super Bowl run?

I consider Brees, Farve and Steve young, more a case of rejuvenation in a new setting.... McNabb?

I can't really find much...

That means that you're prejudging (i.e., prejudiced, literally). Some coaches' sons are fine. Belichik is the son of a coach. So are the Harbaughs. Every individual is different. Let's see how the offense does now with a professional-level (albeit still-just-average) QB.

NFL coaches. Hackett didn't have to work his way up like a lot coaches because of his dad.

It was widely reported he was a part of the selection committee at the time.

I remember reading about Marrone liking EJ prior to the draft. I just feel like it's almost impossible to get a straight answer with draft picks and how HC's feel about them. The GM makes the picks and obviously takes coaches desires into consideration but how often are GM's and HC on the exact same page on draft day. Not saying that EJ wasn't Marrone's #1 choice - he may very well could have been. I just don't know that for sure.

Why wouldn't Marrone like EJ? He got a kid who said all the right things, looked the part, worked hard and recieved the blessing from the scouting department that this kid could develop into a good QB. The only problem is, now Marrone knows they were wrong.

How about, he just knows a young raw QB is just not ready, and most of the rest of the team is. They do not make this move at this time last year at all, with the team is not ready, with the division less strong, and with Thad and Tuel as the backups. They do it now because it makes sense. Things are rarely if ever black and white. There were ten reasons this move was made at this time, not one: That EJ stinks.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

How about, he just knows a young raw QB is just not ready, and most of the rest of the team is. They do not make this move at this time last year at all, with the team is not ready, with the division less strong, and with Thad and Tuel as the backups. They do it now because it makes sense. Things are rarely if ever black and white. There were ten reasons this move was made at this time, not one: That EJ stinks.

I meant, develop fast enough.

Interesting point. I've been trying to remember QBs who were benched and then later got their act together for that same team and became stars.... Going back to stauback is a little farther than my general football memory goes.

Was Warner benched in AZ before the Super Bowl run?

I consider Brees, Farve and Steve young, more a case of rejuvenation in a new setting.... McNabb?

I can't really find much...

Warner was supposed to backup Leinart until Leinart went down.

Watch this Biscuit.

Why I think Marrone should be fired

Barring the playoffs of course.

This is a desperate move that is not in the best interests of the franchise. First, a quick list of some new system OC's QB's

Geno smith - Marty Morteweig (former head coach, multiple NFL OC)

Andrew Luck - bruce Arians (Multiple NFL OC)

Russell Wilson - Darrell Bevel (multiple NFL OC)

Colin Kapernick - Roman (multiple NFL OC)

Teddy Bridgewater - Norv Turner (one of the best offensive coaches in the NFL)

RG3 - Shanahan family (great offensive mind)

EJ - Hackett

So right from the start, Hackett was at a seriously disadvantage. Watching how some players regressed (Stevie & all of our WR's), are we sure EJ is good?

So there is the lack of a solid QB which would benefit a young OC tremendously. But I think Marrone should go because he is bailing on the OC he hand picked with less than 16 games with his starter. He needs to be held accountable for that.

I'd have a lot more respect for him if he went down with the Hackett ship. But instead, he is taking the "safe" route with a known mediocre at best OC.

I'm a Bills fan first and foremost. I'm probably too optimist about this team. It means a lot to me and I let it clog my judgement at times. But I hate this move. Anything less than the playoffs, the Bills should bail on Marrone like he bailed on Hackett.

Not sure I totally get what you're saying. I wish Marrone would bail on Hackett. Not sure I see how you get to that point.

My line for Pegula himself actually wanting to fire Marrone is 9 wins. 8 gets muddy. I would be willing to bet Pegula keeps Marone if we are 9-7. Not saying I agree with that, but I think that's most likely. If he gets 9 games he will be on the chopping block the next year and on a short leash. Any and all regression from that point would be held against him, and rightfully so.

I think Hackett is dunzo this season regardless. To retain Hackett we probably need 10 wins, a playoff appearance and/or playoff win. He will be rightfully scapegoated this year to give Marrone one more shot. That is if Marrone puts employment over loyalty. If he doesn't, they both get the boot.

I don't totally agree with all of this, but just what I think will be the most likely scenario.