Does the 2011 5-2 start temper your enthusiasm this year?

BuffaloBill

I dont think that really comes into play unless we start 5-0. We won 2 great looking games. But its just 2 right now. I look at ebery game as if they are trying to get the W. Almost like they are starting over 0-0 every week. Its just me but thats how I personally looked at my games during my basketball days too. It helps keep things in perspective.

I dont think that really comes into play unless we start 5-0. We won 2 great looking games. But its just 2 right now. I look at ebery game as if they are trying to get the W. Almost like they are starting over 0-0 every week. Its just me but thats how I personally looked at my games during my basketball days too. It helps keep things in perspective.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta get the papers, get the papers...

Just curious what the thoughts are. For me, I am enjoying where we are and just trying to take it one game at a time. I must admit that after the 2011 season I will not say this team has "turned a corner" until the season is done. I still say the hit that Trent Edwards took in that AZ game changed him and led to the implosion. He was not the same player coming back.

I think top to bottom including QB the current roster is far more loaded than 2011. So in this fact I place great hope for the 2014 season.

What a great week for the Bills but I suspect there might even be more fandemonium if it were not for the 2011 collapse.

Edit: a few people have correctly pointed out I have incorrectly combined implosions ... 2008 was Trentative and 2011 was Fitz-not-so-magic.

The last 55 years of my life have tempered my enthusiasm! Really, I'm hopeful and enjoy every win. I hope that they keep adding up!

Gotta get the papers, get the papers...

Jimmy 2-times.

Yes, to the OP's question. We've looked strong in our 1st 2games, disguising and not having to rely on our young QB. So I'm not giddy both because of great starts in recent years and just can't envision Manuel going toe to toe in shoot-out with Rivers, Manning, Rogers and Brady twice.

Measured optimism, though..

Absolutely. Once teams get film on you, you have to adapt and be skillful at misdirection. That's where I felt the wheels came off with that start in 2011.

You can't be a stonecutter and simply rely on execution to get the job done. By the third or fourth game, teams know where you're going to be if you get predictable with the playbook.

I guess I will feel better after we play a couple of games against real, or better anyway, quarterbacks.

The defense has played well but what has been open that we didn't see? Or where would a Manning have taken a chance at a small window?

I think these 2 teams and our level of play may have been better than a few of the past quick starts. However we have not come across a "franchise" QB yet. Fans of the Bears and Phins both tore apart their QB's after both our wins. Just as we would have EJ had we lost.

I hope the results are the same but this is a key reason for me to quietly enjoy the wins.

I guess I will feel better after we play a couple of games against real, or better anyway, quarterbacks.

The defense has played well but what has been open that we didn't see? Or where would a Manning have taken a chance at a small window?

I think these 2 teams and our level of play may have been better than a few of the past quick starts. However we have not come across a "franchise" QB yet. Fans of the Bears and Phins both tore apart their QB's after both our wins. Just as we would have EJ had we lost.

I hope the results are the same but this is a key reason for me to quietly enjoy the wins.

Remember, I'm not making predictions, but the Bears' offense is elite. Cutler is a franchise QB. Marshall and Jeffery are both top 10 WRs, and Forte is a top 10 RB.

The Bears won in SF. The Fish beat the Pats*. The Bills already have two quality wins.

I read a 2-0 start = 63.2% chance of making the playoffs. The odds of missing the playoffs in 7 straight 2-0 starts would be 0.09%. That gives them a 99.9% chance of making the playoffs!

Sadly (and obviously) for us, that's not how it works - it would be incredibly bad luck failing on 6 straight 2-0 starts, but the prior seasons are in the past now - they don't affect the future. If only being "due" really counted for something, eh?

Our odds for prediction based on the overall 63% statistic are the same 63% this year. Still a heck of a lot better than 1-1 or 0-2, so I'm happy about it!

Agree with others - this is a more talented team, and being run+defense based is usually a recipe for some level of consistent success. No reason they can't play to the level of the more successful Jets teams of a few years back, for example.

I also keep in mind last year's team was a lot better than their 6-10 record. Tons of injuries and they lost all 3 games that went to O/T which alone really makes them more like a 7.5 win team. IE if you play 60 minutes tied, you basically tied, and there's no statistical basis for arguing which team should win the O/T beyond luck on a 50/50 shot.

If the improvement in the run defense, EJ's play with experience (and health), and the addition of Watkins and Williams at WR (Stevie who??) are enough for 3 wins, there's every reason to believe they are a playoff-capable team.

Beating San Diego could be a big deal for Wild Card tiebreakers, btw. Same with Houston. Raiders and Chiefs are trash everyone in the AFCE will beat and @Denver is just a loss, so getting at least one of the next two would help a lot if it comes to that.

Edited by BobChalmers

Remember, I'm not making predictions, but the Bears' offense is elite. Cutler is a franchise QB. Marshall and Jeffery are both top 10 WRs, and Forte is a top 10 RB.

The Bears won in SF. The Fish beat the Pats*. The Bills already have two quality wins.

Agree the Bears have many weapons. Not sure Cutler has been known for his accuracy? He is better than many QB's and has the new contract to prove it.

I agree both wins were against quality teams.

Agree the Bears have many weapons. Not sure Cutler has been known for his accuracy? He is better than many QB's and has the new contract to prove it.

I agree both wins were against quality teams.

Initially I was telling myself that really, if you think about, the Bills didn't so much beat the Bears as Cutler lost for them. But the truth is that the old Bills wouldn't have capitalized on those errors. The team's points off turnover in that game were the key. So yeah, Cutler had a bad game (Throwing across his body? Really, Jay?) but what the Bills did with their fortune was terrific.

Edited by LABillzFan

Initially I was telling myself that really, if you think about, the Bills didn't so much beat the Bears as Cutler lost for them. But the truth is that the old Bills wouldn't have capitalized on those errors. The team's points off turnover in that game were the key. So yeah, Cutler had a bad game (Throwing across his body? Really, Jay?) but what the Bills did with their fortune was terrific.

Good point. And not only that, but our guy, a DT mind you, saw that coming and intentionally hustled like hell to be there when Cutler, who is known to do such things, the things that keep him from being a star, did just that. So while it was a Bear mistake, it was equally a Bill great play by a great player who hustled.