A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4) There is much to say about Watkins. People, he was COLLEGE open!!! He truly was. On many plays there was nobody near him. EJ missed him for a TD, but I will get to that, and more on Watkins.

12) EJ was OK today, but I'm not going to go too crazy. Again, I cannot stress just how open Watkins was. He almost had a couple of picks, and I wish that he would have run more often, but that's not his fault.

I am not certain; however, if you go back and look at the play where EJ missed Watkins for the TD, I believe the DB hit Watkins and slowed him down, making the throw look worse than it was.

I am not certain; however, if you go back and look at the play where EJ missed Watkins for the TD, I believe the DB hit Watkins and slowed him down, making the throw look worse than it was.

It also looked like EJ and Sammy read the route differently. There was more to that than an inaccurate pass.

EJ: is not the reason we're winning. He has accuracy problems, tries to float the ball in too often. (Although I think the missed TD to Sammy in slot may have been Sammy's fault for not reading it more inside). At this point Tannehill is the better QB. He's more accurate, sees the field better, and throws well on the run. Today he had no running game and his WRs make a number of crucial drops.

Gilmore: sick catch by Wallace on back should throw. Nothing a DB can do. Wallace was still held to under 60 yards. The DBs on this team are good, people have to realize the Wallace's and Brandon Marshal's of this league will get their plays no matter.

Searcy: reminded me of Troy Palomolu at his best on that play. No wonder Madden had him as league MVP for a number of years. Difference maker.

CJ: should have been returning kicks his whole career.

Refs: apparently tackling guys 5 yards out of bounce is permitted now. Both teams got away with it. All in all a strangely officiated game.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Bill - enjoy your posts each week. I was at the game - agree to disagree about EJ. The kid is a gamer and gets better each week. Two passes in particular to Sammy stand out. The would-be TD is on sammy in my opinion - it was a Beautiful pass and should have been caught by Sammy but he did not get off clean.Ditto on another throw later in the game - EJ is starting throw to spots and the receivers need to be able to get off bumps - Sammy has to get better at getting off the line after getting bumped by NFL corners. I like Sammy - but he still needs work. Don't be overly critical on EJ and dismiss the receiver's culpability.

stats tend to disagree with your statement bolded below, please 'splain

EJ: is not the reason we're winning. He has accuracy problems, tries to float the ball in too often. (Although I think the missed TD to Sammy in slot may have been Sammy's fault for not reading it more inside). At this point Tannehill is the better QB. He's more accurate, sees the field better, and throws well on the run. Today he had no running game and his WRs make a number of crucial drops.

Gilmore: sick catch by Wallace on back should throw. Nothing a DB can do. Wallace was still held to under 60 yards. The DBs on this team are good, people have to realize the Wallace's and Brandon Marshal's of this league will get their plays no matter.

Searcy: reminded me of Troy Palomolu at his best on that play. No wonder Madden had him as league MVP for a number of years. Difference maker.

Refs: apparently tackling guys 5 yards out of bounce is permitted now. Both teams got away with it. All in all a strangely officiated game.

At this point, Tannehill has a crapload more games started in the NFL.

EJ may not be the specific reason we're winning, but he's getting better from last season which is a major positive. Hope he continues the upward trend.

1) Call me a broken record. I have been called worse. The thing is Da'Norris Searcy can play football. If I was a GM, he would be on my football team. Limitations? Sure, but the man makes PLAYS.

2) Chandler is a strange player. Isn't he hard to really grade? His catch today (the play that was over turned) was flat out tremendous. He also caught a key first down.

3) You see, there are no stats to confirm this, but Seantral Henderson played about as good as a Right OT is capable of playing.

4) There is much to say about Watkins. People, he was COLLEGE open!!! He truly was. On many plays there was nobody near him. EJ missed him for a TD, but I will get to that, and more on Watkins.

5) Those who have read my posts know that I want players, especially high draft selections, to take over a football game and win it. Well, CJ Spiller did just this today and I am here to say it. Hats off to John C. Let's hope he can continue to do this.

6) Corey Graham is just so good. OMG does this man make play after play!!!

7) Wake up to find out

that YOU are the eyes of the world.

The heart has its beaches,

its homeland and thoughts, of its own.

Wake now discover that you

are the song that the morning brings.

The heart has its seasons,

its evenings and song.....of its own.

8) Watkins? He was just sick today. This kid was "college open" in the NFL today. It's important that we as fans understand this. The guy was alone on pattern after pattern. It was just SO impressive. Seriously, this is the NFL. The kid was by himself on numerous plays. This imo is just so rare.

9) Anthony Dixon is another player who can win a team football games.

10) Nigel Bradham played to his preseason form. He is a tough guy, and btw so is Preston Brown.

11) Congrats to all who were at the TBD home opener. I was there in spirit and thinking of you.

12) EJ was OK today, but I'm not going to go too crazy. Again, I cannot stress just how open Watkins was. He almost had a couple of picks, and I wish that he would have run more often, but that's not his fault.

13) Gilmore continues to be a concern. Sorry, but it's true.

14) Mario didn't show up huge on the stat sheet, but he is flat out great. Yes.....great.

15) OMG I'm sorry to be trite. I've spent a lifetime trying not to be. But in a weird way, after all we have been through, Bills Fans ARE the "eyes of the world."

16) Congrats my friends and fellow fans.

17) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's with point #7? Why are you quoting a Grateful Dead song? Am I missing something here?

Good post, Bill.

I agree that Graham is a huge addition. I can't imagine how things would be right now if we were starting Gilmore and Leodis as the main starters at CB. Gilmore looks lost and Leodis is back to his old form (not very good).

Spiller should be returning all kicks. At RB, we got the usual--11 rushes for 2 yards apiece and one big run (47yds). That's what he is....but I have to give him the game ball.

This offense only converted 5 of 15 3rd downs. Nearly half of its points are from FG's (8) and they have only scored 3 TDs in 8 Qs. That won't cut if they have to play form behind.

Personally I like the fact that "EJ isnt the reason we are winning" although I will say that he IS one of the reasons why we are winning.......right now he has a lot of help around him and he is effectively managing the game instead of it all being on his shoulders.....the bills are in fact a team so I am ok with that. It in no way takes away from the fact that he is making key throws, protecting the ball, and making the right plays at the right time.

My question is this.....does opinions change if Watkins throws that perfectly thrown strike from EJ on that first drive? It hits him right in the hands......does that change any opiions? That gies him well over 200 yards and 2 TDs throwing.

Watkins is tough and he's gonna be special.

I love seeing EJ play well because if he doesn't were in trouble. And not to be a Debbie Downer, he's not Tom Brady. So people are acting like there's no reason for skepticism on EJ anymore because of the last two games. People are pretending we have a guy who should be acknowledged as a franchise caliber QB. I'm far from being to that level but being that i thought we'd be 0-2 now I'm pleasantly surprised and cautiously optimistic about the future.

I read quite a few of the posts in this thread. A few themes are emerging. 1 - The Bills are kicking too many FGs. I agree but we need to patient. We are winning games. 2 - The trade for Sammy seems to be looking real good. He looked real good today and I wonder if he would have been great if not for the rib injury. 3 - Whaley has put together a pretty good team which has depth now. All kinds of contributors so far in the first two games. 4 - EJ looks better to me with each passing week. The progress might not be in leaps and bounds but it is steady. He is not getting hit as much and he throws the ball away if the play is not there. First place baby! :thumbsup:

It also looked like EJ and Sammy read the route differently. There was more to that than an inaccurate pass.

That is my feeling too. I think maybe EJ thought he was going to the middle of the field. The Robert Woods one he missed bad. If I had to guess on the Watkins miss, I think EJ threw where he wanted to.