To all of the EJ bashers

DirtDart

Time to get on the bandwagon? Go Bills..

He did enough to win 2 football games. Let's not crown him the savior yet. Let's see him take this team on his back when needed and pull out some wins first. How about that? Is that ok???

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like what I'm seeing from EJ, don't love it. He's managing the game. The Bills are running the ball alot, as advertised. They probably should let him throw more on 1st down. It's tough to mainly ask EJ to throw in obvious passing situations.

So basically I'm thrilled with 2-0 BUT in my opinion EJ is the weakest link (skill player) on an otherwise talented offense. Hopefully he continues to improve especially in the Red Zone with his accuracy.

Also, is it me or is EJ kinda' slow now? He has escapability but he doesn't appear to run fast at all.

He still missed two throws that were easy as pie and one of them definitely cost a touchdown. He has become a better manager and that's important, but I remain unimpressed that he will ever be good enough to be among the best.

If he turns out to be consistently competent, I will be satisfied, though.

I'd agree with this assessment and need to see more from EJ before getting too excited. He's done some good things, but sometimes his passes are off the mark and the margin for error will narrow as teams get more tape on Buffalo's offense. How he improves will be very interesting.

But right now, the OL is keeping him clean, the run game is making some plays, and the defense is doing excellent things. When those 3 things are working, the QB is in the fast lane.

Well, he didn't get us beat, and with EJ that's all I can ask. Bandwagon? No. There were some real inaccurate passes, and in the red zone he was awful. Still, like Dilfer with the Ravens, as long as he avoids turnovers, mixes in a TD pass, has a couple solid throws to get us into scoring range, then our defense, running game and special teams give us a chance to win on any given Sunday.

They are "Big Ben"-ing him. Surround him with playmakers. Let them make the plays, let EJ play safe, efficient ball. Some good thing I liked were seeing him throw the ball away, and also extend a play in the first half by running to the right and hitting a RB for a first down.

Well, he didn't get us beat, and with EJ that's all I can ask. Bandwagon? No. There were some real inaccurate passes, and in the red zone he was awful. Still, like Dilfer with the Ravens, as long as he avoids turnovers, mixes in a TD pass, has a couple solid throws to get us into scoring range, then our defense, running game and special teams give us a chance to win on any given Sunday.

This. Although I think his upside is better than Dilfer. He was AWFUL in the Red-Zone. Someone should tell him that "Red" does not mean "Stop." We need TD's to continue winning. Teams like the Pats and even SD will put up points.

currently EJ is ranked

#13 in passer rating

#17 in total QBR

PRO: if he can continue those stats we make the playoffs.

CON: I still see a QB who will settle in about #20 in both rankings.

I see a QB with 12 starts with a ceiling higher than that if he continues to progress.

He did enough to win 2 football games. Let's not crown him the savior yet. Let's see him take this team on his back when needed and pull out some wins first. How about that? Is that ok???

that is okay. he's def not a "top ten" QB. But we don't need that right now. Whaley did a good job of putting enough around him so that he can grow into a top QB. (not saying he will, but he could)

Also, is it me or is EJ kinda' slow now? He has escapability but he doesn't appear to run fast at all.

You know, you're absolutely right, and it was very noticeable. I was hesitant to mention this, just because I get tired of all the personal attacks and "hater" accusations. LOL

But if you watch Kaepernick, or Wilson, or any other spry young QB, when they take off running, they go 100%, and look like they're shot out of a cannon. EJ looked like as slow as molasses on the few times he had to run it yesterday. Guess he's worried about those knees, which is understandable, but it leaves the Bills with one less "weapon" for sure.

Yep, that's good. But as has been noted several times already in this very thread, it's not because of EJ's sparkling play that the Bills have won those two games.

Yep, he didn't throw for 350 yards. But he played a role. He played the part he's been asked to play. He threw 2 TD passes. He ran for another. He - to borrow a term from Hank Stram - matriculated the ball down the field at times.

Remember, EJ's essentially a rookie with less than a season worth of starts. Nonetheless, he's got the 13th highest QB efficiency rating in the NFL this season - ahead of Brees, Roethlisberger, Foles, Flacco, Kaep, Stafford, Luck, Romo, Tannehill, E. Manning, etc. Note that this list contains SB winners.

Manuel's doing just fine so far. Let's hope he gets even better.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticPositionCategory=QUARTERBACK&d-447263-s=PASSING_PASSER_RATING&tabSeq=1&season=2014&experience=&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&qualified=false

You know, you're absolutely right, and it was very noticeable. I was hesitant to mention this, just because I get tired of all the personal attacks and "hater" accusations. LOL

But if you watch Kaepernick, or Wilson, or any other spry young QB, when they take off running, they go 100%, and look like they're shot out of a cannon. EJ looked like as slow as molasses on the few times he had to run it yesterday. Guess he's worried about those knees, which is understandable, but it leaves the Bills with one less "weapon" for sure.

EJ was never fast. He's athletic enough to make a run happen, but he's not a fast/quick guy. He is bigger, he takes long strides, that's about it.

Kaepernick ran all over the bears. Good point

EJ was never fast. He's athletic enough to make a run happen, but he's not a fast/quick guy. He is bigger, he takes long strides, that's about it.

Right, true...but last year he would outrun LB's to the edge and be able to really run once he got going. This year he is not going to outrun defensive ends let alone LB's. It would be great if he can perfect the art of stepping up in the pocket and side-stepping pressure to buy himself time. I just don't see him taking off and running being a threat anymore. Those read-option keepers will be few and far between.

papazoid, on 15 September 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

currently EJ is ranked

#13 in passer rating

#17 in total QBR

PRO: if he can continue those stats we make the playoffs.

CON: I still see a QB who will settle in about #20 in both rankings.

And he's currently ranked higher than Brady, Brees, Luck, Flacco, Foles, etc. So what. He's winning. The thing I like is that he's controlling the games and not trying to do too much. Take what's there. Don't make mistakes and force throws. When he needs to, he takes the team on his back and wins games. He has 4 fourth qtr or OT games winning drives in twelve starts and would have a fifth if Stevie and Chadler don't fumble away the Atlanta game TWICE. The negativity towards EJ befuddles me.

A lot of the EJ bashers are focusing on Passing Yards per game and Number of throws... They want 300 yards per game and 35+ attempts. :doh:

To grade EJ objectively, you have to look at each offensive game plan for the two games so far this year.

In each game the Philosophy of the game plan was to run the ball and the game clock. (notice we are not in the no huddle) And when the Safety moves into the box for run support - EJ was to throw to the hole in the zone. Which he is doing...

Look, We have two excellent running backs and a back-up RB who is pretty darn good and one of the biggest OL in the game. The whole philosophy for the team is to RUN the DAMN ball down the throats of a defense... And have EJ make plays on 3rd down (and Short) to keep the chains moving. Which he is doing. Is he doing it with panache? No - but even the worst EJ critic has to understand that two of his 3 starting receivers were not on the team last year. (Remember Brady last year have trouble throwing to his new corp of receivers? ) Game chemistry between a QB and a receiver takes time.

I'll also take what might be a unpopular viewpoint on our red zone issues - I think it is more CJ and Jackson's fault then EJ's. I thought the the running attempts in the red zone were terrible calls that showed no imagination. The result was 3rd and longs - which EJ did not complete.