To all of the EJ bashers

DirtDart

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people jump on bandwagons after one or two games.

Everyone who posts here wants the Bills to win. Some of us can want this but still see flaws in their most important player.

Are you thinking I have jumped on a bandwagon after one or two games? I have been beating the EJ Manuel drum for the last two years.

And nothing wrong with seeing flaws....EJ isnt a finished product....he IS however playing winning football and deserves credit for that.

fixed

Happy to see that you admit his flaws. I have already acknowledged his assets.

Are you thinking I have jumped on a bandwagon after one or two games? I have been beating the EJ Manuel drum for the last two years.

And nothing wrong with seeing flaws....EJ isnt a finished product....he IS however playing winning football and deserves credit for that.

Wow!

You have beating the drums for longer than you have been regularly watching him.

Another voice of reason enters the fray. Thanks for stepping up and not being afraid to take the insults & attacks from the "I have blinders on" crowd, for just stating the obvious.

Exactly, thank you! Even Fitz and Edwards played good effeicient games for us and got us off to nice starts to a season (2008, 2011). And they did it with significantly less WR talent.

Take out CJ's big run, and we're left with a run game that really stalled out yesterday. Miami's front seven played the run very well yesterday, all credit given.

Take out the sacks, blocked punts, kickoff returns, and points the Bills scored and Miami won the game. :D

Take out CJ's big run, and we're left with a run game that really stalled out yesterday. Miami's front seven played the run very well yesterday, all credit given.

I know you know this, but that's just like saying "take out Mike Wallace's circus catch, and Miami goes without a TD again".

Point is, you can't remove one play, and so much of Buffalo's running offense is predicated upon slamming into the defense with an OL that's got the size advantage so that, over time, you soften them up and slow them down. As you've seen, one missed assignment against CJ (or Fred or Boobie for that matter) and it's a huge play.

Happy to see that you admit his flaws. I have already acknowledged his assets.

Wow!

You have beating the drums for longer than you have been regularly watching him.

How do you know how long I have been watching him?

Yep, that's good. But as has been noted several times already in this very thread, it's not because of EJ's sparkling play that the Bills have won those two games.

So because EJ is not winning the games by himself this should be marked as a negative against EJ Manuel?

Hi efficiency rating

Taking care of the ball

Making plays when it matters

Frankly has thrown some very good passes

Nobody is calling him Manning or Brady........but he deserves more credit then what you folks are giving him

currently EJ is ranked

#13 in passer rating

#17 in total QBR

PRO: if he can continue those stats we make the playoffs.

CON: I still see a QB who will settle in about #20 in both rankings.

Actually, during the off-season(prior to pre-season).....or perhaps it was before last season even finished, you persistently and emphatically stated that EJ would NEVER be a top 20 QB.

I capitalised the word "never" because that is how you regularly wrote it.

"EJ will NEVER be a top 20 QB!" ....as if you wanted to shout the word "never" at all of those saying that it was too early to draw conclusions.

You posted the same thing so often that....guess what? It stuck in my craw......hence me bringing it back up now.

It seems you are already backpedalling from your premature, forcefully dogmatic insulting crusade. Hopefully EJ continues to improve each week so you have to backpedal even faster.

Edited by Dibs

How do you know how long I have been watching him?

So because EJ is not winning the games by himself this should be marked as a negative against EJ Manuel?

Hi efficiency rating

Taking care of the ball

Making plays when it matters

Frankly has thrown some very good passes

Nobody is calling him Manning or Brady........but he deserves more credit then what you folks are giving him

Some people have a toddler's grasp of football. They focus on something with tunnel vision and react to it.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

currently EJ is ranked

#13 in passer rating

#17 in total QBR

PRO: if he can continue those stats we make the playoffs.

CON: I still see a QB who will settle in about #20 in both rankings.

Also, he's 10th in YPA, which is largely considered the most telling statistic for QBs.

I see a QB who threw 7 passes all game that traveled in the air more than 10 yards from the line of scrimmage. he completed 3 (one was when Sammy was wide open, another was the reversed call with chandler). I see more poorly thrown balls than balls right on the money. he's been lucky he hasn't been intercepted more.

i'd say the coaches are protecting him from himself by limiting the more difficult deep throws.

having said that, he has played slightly better than mediocre in the first 2 games, which is a very positive sign.

EJ is 3rd in the NFL in completions of over 20 yards with 8--I believe only one of those (Woods in week 1) traveled less than 20 yards in the air.

I would lean towards they don't feel Manuel is ready to dominate in the red zone. The offensive coach knows better than we do as to strategy in the red zone.

I'm sure that's part of it--I also think it's situational. Yesterday field goals were just fine; in some games they won't be and they'll need to take more chances.

Some people jump on bandwagons after one or two games.

Everyone who posts here wants the Bills to win. Some of us can want this but still see flaws in their most important player.

Nothing wrong with looking at EJ's game and recognizing deficiencies. The only thing that's wrong (IMO) is to say he's playing poorly or somehow that the team is carrying him. I don't know if you (or anyone other than 1 particular person) has said that as I haven't read the whole thread, but I think that would be a mischaracterization. Right now he's limiting mistakes, making key throws, and doing what's necessary to win.

I know you know this, but that's just like saying "take out Mike Wallace's circus catch, and Miami goes without a TD again".

Point is, you can't remove one play, and so much of Buffalo's running offense is predicated upon slamming into the defense with an OL that's got the size advantage so that, over time, you soften them up and slow them down. As you've seen, one missed assignment against CJ (or Fred or Boobie for that matter) and it's a huge play.

The only reason I say it is to highlight our every down troubles with running the ball yesterday. In general, we had a lot of trouble, that's all. Just like Miami had trouble getting their offense going outside of that circus catch. Not saying they don't count... it just gives a clearer idea of what the "average" is.

Miami keyed in on stopping the run, and outside of the one play, were very successful. Sometimes it was frustrating that we stuck with it, so much... BUT, it kept Miami honest, and opened things up for EJ, imo.

Edited by Dorkington

The only reason I say it is to highlight our every down troubles with running the ball yesterday. In general, we had a lot of trouble, that's all. Just like Miami had trouble getting their offense going outside of that circus catch. Not saying they don't count... it just gives a clearer idea of what the "average" is.

Miami keyed in on stopping the run, and outside of the one play, were very successful. Sometimes it was frustrating that we stuck with it, so much... BUT, it kept Miami honest, and opened things up for EJ, imo.

Yeah I knew what you meant--no sweat. I just thought it was worth making the point about the Bills' specific approach, which is a twist on the old "if you run often enough you'll break a big play"...the Bills seem to be willing to physically punish opponents into giving up a big run, which I like.

Yeah I knew what you meant--no sweat. I just thought it was worth making the point about the Bills' specific approach, which is a twist on the old "if you run often enough you'll break a big play"...the Bills seem to be willing to physically punish opponents into giving up a big run, which I like.

:thumbsup:

E.J. Manuel, QB: +0.1

Breakdown: While it probably wouldn’t be considered an impressive day by Manuel, he has shown improvement over his rookie year. Most of Manuel’s throws were targeted under 10 yards downfield, where he completed 13 of his 17 attempts for 122 yards and a touchdown. However, he was most impressive on the few shots he did take downfield. Manuel was accurate on all three of his passes targeted 20-plus yards downfield, earning a +2.5 passing grade on those throws. The Bills also utilized play action well, where Manuel completed all seven PA attempts for a solid 92 yards.

Signature Stat: Manuel had a QB Rating of 137.3 when targeting Watkins.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz