Multiple Reports : Pegula IS the new owner

FluffHead

Not sure if you guys have noticed, but Brandon has sounded very reflective in his last few interviews, he's clearly still very emotional about Ralph being gone. He's gone as far as describing Ralph like a second father, spoke to him everyday, sometimes several times a day for years. On top of that, he's faced with a new owner who will bring in some of his own people and at a minimum Brandon would have reduced power and fewer decision rights.

I wouldn't be surprised if he left the organization at the end of the season of his own volition. I think he's done a masterful job networking and establishing trust with the other owners and I still see him in the league offices with ambition to be commissioner at some point in the future.

And PLEASE, I don't want to make this a LIKE or DISLIKE thread on Brandon, we all know where that goes.

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly do not understand the Russ Brandon vitriol on this board. Because for all the errors in judgment and mistakes many people want to pin on Brandon, that are usually undeserved mind you, they fail to then pass the praise on him for hiring of Nix, Whaley and other FO staff and subsequently be a part of the process for Marrone and getting out of the Toronto deal AFTER the deal made the team some very much needed money...it boggles my mind really. I'm not saying he's Christ in human form, just that maybe a balanced and reasoned approach to critiquing the pros and cons of his decisions and placing the responsibility of said decisions in their appropriate place....but, I suppose that is too much for some. Whatever, either way, I hope Brandon stays on, Pegula is unanimously approved tomorrow, DW continues as GM and FO continues doing their job, and of course a playoff season for the BILLS...and then, the BILLS finally, after many years and failures, at all costs secure a true, long-term answer to the QB position, even if that means allowing Orton to stay at the helm for an additional year while the next QB develops - EJ or Drafted Rookie "X"...

Not sure if you guys that are pro-Russ have noticed, but he has sounded very reflective in his last few interviews, he's clearly still very emotional about Ralph being gone. He's gone as far as describing Ralph like a second father, spoke to him everyday, sometimes several times a day for years. On top of that, he's faced with a new owner who will bring in some of his own people and at a minimum Brandon would have reduced power and fewer decision rights.

I wouldn't be surprised if he left the organization at the end of the season of his own volition. I think he's done a masterful job networking and establishing trust with the other owners and I still see him in the league offices with ambition to be commissioner at some point in the future.

And PLEASE, I don't want to make this a LIKE or DISLIKE thread on Brandon, we all know where that goes.

Or, he might want to stick around and see the turnaround completed. And he may very well have already established a healthy amount of trust and mutual respect with the Pegulas.

Just another perspective...

Not sure if you guys that are pro-Russ have noticed, but he has sounded very reflective in his last few interviews, he's clearly still very emotional about Ralph being gone. He's gone as far as describing Ralph like a second father, spoke to him everyday, sometimes several times a day for years. On top of that, he's faced with a new owner who will bring in some of his own people and at a minimum Brandon would have reduced power and fewer decision rights.

I don't plan to...one thing to think about is that it's less likely to do so if you edit your response to exclude the initial "you guys that are pro-Russ" snippet--just feels like it's set up to divide folks into one side or the other.

As for the idea of Russ moving on, sure, it could happen. I don't think it'll be any time soon.

I honestly do not understand the Russ Brandon vitriol on this board. Because for all the errors in judgment and mistakes many people want to pin on Brandon, that are usually undeserved mind you, they fail to then pass the praise on him for hiring of Nix, Whaley and other FO staff and subsequently be a part of the process for Marrone and getting out of the Toronto deal AFTER the deal made the team some very much needed money...it boggles my mind really. I'm not saying he's Christ in human form, just that maybe a balanced and reasoned approach to critiquing the pros and cons of his decisions and placing the responsibility of said decisions in their appropriate place....but, I suppose that is too much for some. Whatever, either way, I hope Brandon stays on, Pegula is unanimously approved tomorrow, DW continues as GM and FO continues doing their job, and of course a playoff season for the BILLS...and then, the BILLS finally, after many years and failures, at all costs secure a true, long-term answer to the QB position, even if that means allowing Orton to stay at the helm for an additional year while the next QB develops - EJ or Drafted Rookie "X"...

If the team shows steady improvement and even so much as contends for the playoffs, I think Pegula would want to retain that momentum and continuity. Especially as he learns the business. But as Kirby posted above, Russ may have his pick of jobs in the league if he so chooses. Now that will be a hard pill to swallow for his critics, but I suspect that's true. He's spent a LONG time getting to know people around the league.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Russ is going to land on his feet either way. He has huge respect in the room and whether it's with the Bills, the league or another team. He isn't a guy that will disappear like a Dick Jauron type. Russ will be in the league (or another league) in a very, very high capacity moving forward.

I don't plan to...one thing to think about is that it's less likely to do so if you edit your response to exclude the initial "you guys that are pro-Russ" snippet--just feels like it's set up to divide folks into one side or the other.

As for the idea of Russ moving on, sure, it could happen. I don't think it'll be any time soon.

Wasn't intending to offend or divide by saying "pro-Russ", I was just more interested in hearing from folks that like him and want him to stay versus those that do not like him.

I see no reason at all to jettison Russ. In fact, I'll be pretty pissed if he is, considering he was instrumental in bringing, and keeping, training camp to my hometown. But I think that's his in with the Pegulas, specifically Kim, who grew up in Rochester.

So now Timmah is the Pegulas' new BFF?

After Marrone and Whaley had that argument in the preseason it became apparent that Russ Brandon is one of Tim's "sources inside the organization". I'm guessing that's why he's fairly definitive about things. Probably hints to Russ's future with the organization.

Russ is going to land on his feet either way. He has huge respect in the room and whether it's with the Bills, the league or another team. He isn't a guy that will disappear like a Dick Jauron type. Russ will be in the league (or another league) in a very, very high capacity moving forward.

From a business and even an organizational standpoint he put the organization in a very stable situation. He extended the market east and north. From a football standpoint the Toronto series was a boondogle but from a business standpoint it was a savvy move. Not only did it give the owner $78 M cash upfront but it also got the Canadian group to participate in the auction. Thus bumping up the value of the team by (possibly) $400 M more.

Brandon doesn't get the credit that he deserves in steering the football side of the organization into the modern era. The Ralph football model, especially on the staffing side, was out of step with the rest of the league. Brandon was instrumental in bringing in Whaley and eventually allowing him to restructure the football operation and hire better quality people.

I thought Brandon did an excellent job in respectfully easing Nix out the door and making sure that Whaley was in a good position to take over an operation that had a legitimate chance to compete with everyone else. Brandon had stated that Nix was very kind to him. He gave up a lot of his precious time to tutor Brandon on football and scouting. So when it was the right time for a change at the GM position it was done with a lot of dignity and class.

I believe that for the near future Pegula is going to keep Brandon in his current job. But that doesn't mean he won't have some of his own people give him a fresh set of eyes to evaluate the operation from top to bottom.

Because he's a MARKETER! A MARKETER!

Sure he's a marketer that's smart enough to surround himself with smart football people. A marketer that's been with the organization a long time, learned the business inside out, had success at his job, rose through the ranks, and made good. Some might actually think that's an old-school success story way of doing it.

But he's a MARKETER! A MARKETER!

GO BILLS!!!

BURN HIM!!!

My thoughts on Russ Brandon: he should be moved completely out of the football side of things or let go. However, I'm willing to bet that he got so close with the Wilson family that he has guaranteed job security through the sale and beyond.

Because he's a MARKETER! A MARKETER!

Sure he's a marketer that's smart enough to surround himself with smart football people. A marketer that's been with the organization a long time, learned the business inside out, had success at his job, rose through the ranks, and made good. Some might actually think that's an old-school success story way of doing it.

But he's a MARKETER! A MARKETER!

GO BILLS!!!

How he kept this mess from falling apart god only knows.........

We need to retain him......and Whaley