Fred's stiff arm

YoloinOhio

Let's not pretend he has ever had a really good season. He barely cracked 1,000 yards one time in his career. He has had a few nice runs at key points in his career. Today was one of them. But to comment on being lucky...he was lucky to get that big of a hole. He basically ran straight through a huge hole, but he finished strong which was important because we are the bills and every yard counts in that situation because we have had some tough heart breakers in recent years. CJ probably scores on the same run.

As I'm feeling charitable after a great Bills victory, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and pretend you aren't a troll. It is true Fred isn't the most physically talented of backs. Not really fast for sure,. Not super big (but bigger than I initially thought--the guy is solid). Didn't play at for a major college power. Etc.

In fact on a screen pass today that I initially thought was to CJ, I wondered why he didn't juke the one defender in the area. Then I realized it was Fred.

But you know what? Fred gets the most out of his talent virtually all the time. He seemingly never takes a play off. He is as relentless and hard-nosed as it gets. The funny thing is, because he never relied on exceptional speed, he's as good now as when he was "in his prime" age-wise. Currently the oldest running back in the NFL yet can still play like he was in his mid 20's.

No, Fred isn't Adrian Peterson, or Forte---or even CJ Spiller for that matter, when it comes down to raw talent. And perhaps you don't want a guy like that to be your feature back, and get 30 carries a game. So what? He has filled every role the Bills have thrown at him. Did I forget to mention he is a great protection back, who takes on any lineman and always gives his all?

Fred was undrafted. When he came out of college no team wanted him. But you know what? I think every GM in the league would be thrilled to have a guy like Fredex on the roster today.

Key point there. Jackson put two stiff-arms on the same guy on the same run.

"Oh, I haven't dominated you enough yet? Here, have another one, punk."

Seriously. He just smacked the crap out of him---not once, but twice.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not pretend he has ever had a really good season. He barely cracked 1,000 yards one time in his career. He has had a few nice runs at key points in his career. Today was one of them. But to comment on being lucky...he was lucky to get that big of a hole. He basically ran straight through a huge hole, but he finished strong which was important because we are the bills and every yard counts in that situation because we have had some tough heart breakers in recent years. CJ probably scores on the same run.

Name one player in recent history that has more heart and determination than FredEx? Kid leaves it on the field EVERY game!

Fred to Conte: "Man's game beeyaaaattch!!"

You don't really watch the games do you? If you do, take off the blinders

"Probably" doesn't count for anything. Somehow "slow" Fred Jackson ended up as the Bills' leading rusher (7 carries, 61 yards). I guess there must be more to running back than breakaway speed. Fun Fact #1: Matt Forte (who was great today) outrushed everyone on the Bills individually with 17 for 82 (4.8 ypc). Fun Fact #2: The Bills RB-by-committee (not including the QB) had 27 rushes for 174 yards (6.4 ypc!). Also please don't start any "take away the one run" garbage, since that would also discount Dixon's big run or the big runs that Spiller will get in the future.

Why was that run not a TD? Feet never went out of bounds and ball clearly crossed the line.

I believe that rule was changed a few years ago and you have to cross the pylon or inside of it. The goalline no longer exists outside of the pylons.

How long ago was this rule changed? I Remember a few plays last year that were very similar to this that were called TDs

EDIT: 2008. Maybe I am remembering incorrectly

Edited by kr632

You're were wrong before, you are both ignorant and a troll

Edited by ndirish1978

Watching the replay, I don't think any part of Jackson's body touched out of bounds until the ball touched the pylon. They're always saying the goal line stretches in both directions outward from the field to infinity, so I think it should have been called a touchdown.

The ball never got close to touching the pylon. He was clearly out.