Florio on the Orton Head Scratcher

Least of our problems? They haven't even played a game yet...LOL

Can we hold off until after the Chicago game at least?

So explain how Orton will not be the least of our problems? he's a backup QB....Our O-Line is a bigger problem than Orton, don't you think?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never mind, he is 20th. Assuming Garrard and Kitna aren't counted as "active" players.

5.5 of the 19 active quarterbacks ahead of him are also backups:

1. Hasselbeck

2. Schaub

3. Vick

4. Fitzpatrick

5. Campbell

6. Cassel (he's the half)

"When you look at Ryan Fitzpatrick, you are looking at the starting quarterback of the Houston Texans."

At least for Week 1.

I doubt this was a "panic move". I have to believe that the FO had been looking for alternatives at #2 QB throughout training camp, considering the way Tuel and Thad were playing. An opportunity to sign someone like Orton doesn't just happen on demand - they had to wait until he was available to them.

I have a difficult time imagining the alternate universe in which I care one bit about anything Mike Florio has to say.

I can't recall one poster who thought this.

I am sorry I can't provide individuals but there were a fair number of people advocating starting Lewis over EJ, particularly after the Pitts burgher game.

Edited by MDFan

I can't recall one poster who thought this.

I hate to say it, and I can't name names, but there was some crazy talk going on there for a while. Come to think of it, that never really stops.

Exactly. So we overpaid for a proven backup? So what.

Yep, and we are still getting off cheap overall at the QB position, so no big deal. If we're paying the number one guy $15-20 mil to start, we'd have to be more frugal with a backup, but you should never try to get away with someone who should never see the field.

Head scratcher? When people were whining about not having a veteran backup qb the Bills were pursuing Orton. He waited it out, looked at all his options and chose to come here which will really help us this year. I think his presence will have a positive effect on Ej's development and if something does happen he can step in and possibly win us some games. The same people who whine about the team not spending money are probably the same who think five million for Orton is unreasonable which it really isn't.

Head scratcher? When people were whining about not having a veteran backup qb the Bills were pursuing Orton. He waited it out, looked at all his options and chose to come here which will really help us this year. I think his presence will have a positive effect on Ej's development and if something does happen he can step in and possibly win us some games. The same people who whine about the team not spending money are probably the same who think five million for Orton is unreasonable which it really isn't.

This pretty much covers it. You're right.

This is pure hindsight. Pretty much everyone thought Thad Lewis would grow into a very competent backup QB this year based on what he did last year. As a matter of fact, there were a number of posters on this board who felt he should be the starting QB. I am not going to fault the FO for believing the same thing based on his progression last year.

Wonderful. So you're holding an NFL front office to the same standards as those of fans from a fan message board. :lol:

This is why the Bills continue to settle for mediocrity - even longtime fans are OK with it :)

Good post.

This summarizes the whole problem with message boards. Things play out a certain way, a backstory is filled in to meet someone's opinion on things, it gets repeated, and what really amounts to some dopey guy's opinion gets repeated as fact. 14 years of futility and mostly a lifetime of pain will do that to you.

According to some, the Bills started the season with TL and JT, follishly rode them all the way to the end and finally, in a moment on panic as pre-season ended, they threw the kitchen sink at them. So, while you can't say "The Bills are cheap", you do get to toss out Cheap's ugly and equally unpleasant cousin--Panic. "The Bills overpaid because they panicked!".

On the other hand, there seems to be credible reports (or at least as credible as "They rolled the bones and then panicked!" that the Bills were pursuing Orton, who rode the wave, skipped the practice in 95 degree heat with 97% humidity, waited for things to play out and ultimately signed a pretty nice deal for himself.

On still another hand (this is the Chernobyl hand if you're keeping count), now that they have what most reasonable folks would consider a reasonable backup, the issue isn't the reasonableness of the back up, it's the cost to get him.

Here's hoping EJ comes out and does a good job so we buy at least a week of "Maybe we're on the right track".

1. Timing. The Bills failed to secure a viable backup during the offseason, maintaining that they were happy with Tuel and Lewis. This wasn't posturing, either. Their failure to bring in another QB during the draft or address it during free agency suggests that they were happy with what they had. That changed very quickly after Lewis and Tuel's collectively disastrous preseason and camp.

“We’re very happy with Thad Lewis,” said Whaley. “One of the things that Russ Brandon said that John Butler always told him is, in your backup quarterback, you want a guy to go .500. Now, he went 2-3, is that good enough? Obviously not, you’d rather him go 5-0, but we’re very comfortable with him.”

- Doug Whaley during the scouting combine on taking second-hand personnel advice from a marketing executive

2. New ownership situation. Ironic that Whaley's quote of stupidity referenced above was before Ralph Wilson passed away, when his job was iron-clad secure as Russ's hand-picked guy. Once Ralph passed away, the front office realized they can't afford another season of failure -- hence the go-for-broke trade giving up next year's 1st rounder and hence their willingness to pay Orton $5M per year.

3. EJ. The hope was for EJ to make a gigantic leap this season. There's no doubt that this could still happen, but early indications are not good. Numerous reports have suggested veteran players walking into Marrone's office and informing him that EJ is simply not good enough. Failure to address the position would have lost the locker room.

So yes, in my view the Orton signing has panic written all over it.

I am not doubting this but where was it reported? IF this is true and i mean that the reports are accurate then this stinks. However if these are the same Vets who endorsed Fitz, well...maybe they should stick to playing not scouting.

I really don't see how this move can be criticized from a football standpoint. As a backup, he's one of the best in the league. He's not a developmental prospect but the team already has that in Manuel. They paid him slightly above the market rate for his services IMO, which is probably required to come to Buffalo. You've got to give credit where it's due and this was a good move.

Now, it may not make the slightest bit of difference with respect to the team's record depending on what happens with Manuel, but that's another discussion...

Edited by vincec

Signing was clearly a panic move. So what? Whaley realized Lewis and Tuel have shown nothing and Manuel not much more so far. The combined poor performance of Lewis and Tuel along with the poor performance of EJ, Whaley had to find someone that could be the backup and start if EJ doesn't turn it around during the first few weeks of the season. Orton was signed to be the backup and to be the starter if the Bills need to bail on EJ at some point during the season. They couldn't go into the season without doing something. Signing Orton to be backup/starter improved the team going forward.

What's the going rate for a QB with 70 career starts?

Pretty much what the Bills are paying Orton, I think. Very similar contract to Vick/Moore/Hasselbeck over 2 years - $500k more in year one and about $1.25M less in year two

The NFL Network guys called the move "panic" but "prudent."

Explain that.

Can't help there. Panic and prudent don't usually come as a package.