Kyle Orton rumor [update : now signed]

YoloinOhio

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought Orton never got a fair shot. He was great in college. Played in Chicago and gave them a 9-7 record & an 18TD/12Int (79.6 QBR) in 2008. Then Mgmt there, thinking not only that Cutler was better, but that he was elite, traded Orton to Denver where he put up 21TD/12Int (86.8 QBR) & an 8-8 season. In 2010, the wheels came off in Denver, they drafted Tebow and fired Josh McDaniels DURING the season and oh yeah, they had the worst defense in the league, surrendering 6200+ yds and 29+ points per game - not the QB's fault. Wanting to avoid a QB controversy, they released Orton who went to KC, then Dallas in back-up rolls.

So he was an ascending player in Chicago, got traded.

Was an ascending player in Denver, team blew-up and he was sent packing.

Did fine in back-up rolls for 3 years w/ QBRs of 81, 137 and 85 in 2011-2013.

Dallas wanted to retain him, but he grew tired of the back-up roll and "retired".

John Clayton said if you look at the Patriot and Bills rosters (EXCLUDING QB's) - the Bills arguably have a more talented team.

I like EJ, but THIS team, with the right leadership on offense, is ready to win now. I think Orton gives us this chance.

Dude, that was a very well thought out post with solid information. Thank you. I too like Orton, and he will push EJ. If EJ plays as bad in the regular season as pre-season, they'll jump ship to Orton. Marrone knows his job icon the line with the sale of the team. Orton will need about two to three games to get in sync with the offense. I can see him really taking advantage of Mike Williams and Sammy Watkins.

Next year we have to draft a QB and stud TE, and just retain as much of the talent as possible. God I hope Whaley starts resigning our talent early before they get close to free agency.

Agreed. He probably sees it as a good opportunity. Good WRs, good RBs, a good LT, and a starter with a possible injury issue and without a firm grip on the starting job (because of rawness and youth not because the coaches will yank him).

I think there may be one more very important factor missing that makes the Bills an attractive spot.

If EJ struggles badly then Kyle gets a shot, yes. So what happens if we (or rather, the new ownership) decides EJ is simply not the answer and it is time to move on? On any other team, they take that 2-14 record and cash it in for the next would-be franchise quarterback, and probably say "thanks for the 6 games, Kyle, maybe you want to be the backup to our shiny new rookie next year?" But with the Bills now not having a first round pick, the way it plays out is that if he gets a shot and plays well and it's decided EJ is not the future, he gets at least a year as an unchallenged starter.

I'm a firm believer that backup QB is a very important position on any team that has aspirations of going to the playoffs. I'm not sure that the Bills are a playoff team or not, but it was almost criminal how they dealt with the position. It's good to know that they have been trying to sign Orton for two months. Rather than just sitting on their hands. We fans are often kept from information that would completely change our POV on some stuff.

this

And Schwartz becomes the HC when Maronne gets fired, and he brings back Chan Galey to be his OC. [/fantasy]

You're fantasizing about a situation where we get Schwartz/Gailey/Orton? I'm pleased with the signing too but you can do better than that.

He figured he had no chance to start there, but here he figures there is a good chance.

You think he really wants to start? Couldn't it be that he likes this situation because he can get paid a handsome NFL salary to sit the bench? LIke Kolb did?

I would think if he was so gung ho to start for a team, he wouldn't have retired. He would have kept his hat in the ring and wound up somebody's number 2.

I'm not saying I think you are necessarily wrong. I just wouldn't assume he is coming here because he thinks he has a good chance of starting. He might just prefer a veteran NFL QB salary to the other paycheck alternatives he has available to him, which I am sure is substantially less lucrative.

He's un-clutch at times but he can consistently move an offense. He's a veteran and can possibly pick the offense rather quickly. He's obviously better than Tuel and Palmer, we just have to see in what condition (physically speaking) he is.

EJ should start and if he doesn't do well we can rely on the veteran, hopefully he's needed at some point in the future and not in the short term.

People calling for Orton over EJ... But Orton had a miserable rookie and second year, so he's clearly a bust.

Personally, my issue with EJ has never been with what I have seen but rather with what his issues are. I don't ever remember a QB that became more accurate or learned to see the field faster. If EJ was not understanding the playbook or making poor reads I may agree with you. You can learn where to throw based on different defensive formations and/or tendencies. You can't learn to hit guys in stride.

Personally, my issue with EJ has never been with what I have seen but rather with what his issues are. I don't ever remember a QB that became more accurate or learned to see the field faster. If EJ was not understanding the playbook or making poor reads I may agree with you. You can learn where to throw based on different defensive formations and/or tendencies. You can't learn to hit guys in stride.

FWIW, I thought Locker would never be able to lead a WR in the NFL and I have to say the he looked improved in that regard when I watched him the other night. I understand you point, you'll believe when you see it, but it just might happen, you never know.