I don't get the Hackett Hate

TPS

Is he just the latest whipping boy for chronic complainers? Surely people aren't complaining based on preseason?

Last year he had the greenest group of QBs in the nfl to work with, and all of them started games. He rightly focused on running the ball to set up play action. The bills finished 19th in ypg, which is damn good considering the first year of the system AND going through the QB carousel.

Enlighten me please.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I don't much care for his play calling. Example - I seems like he likes to throw a lot on 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2. I run the ball there more times than not. I may run a draw out of shotgun, but I prefer to run there. I didn't like the call last year where Tuel was passing in that goalline situation where he threw that game altering interception. I blame Hacket for half the fault there. There are many times in many games where I was perplexed over the choice of plays. Run run pass punt. Run run pass punt. Stuff like that...

Secondly I don't much care for his game planning. I don't think he designs his offense to fit the players' skills. I think he has an offense he insists on running and tries to get whatever players he has to fit into that scheme. In my mind, that is bad coaching. That is why I don't care for him.

I say that based on last year's play not on this year's preseason.

If the offense looks a lot better this year and moves the chains while mixing in some deep pass attempts, then I will be fine with him. Based on his first year, he is off to a bad start. We will know more by midway through this season.

Edited by PolishDave

Is he just the latest whipping boy for chronic complainers? Surely people aren't complaining based on preseason?

Last year he had the greenest group of QBs in the nfl to work with, and all of them started games. He rightly focused on running the ball to set up play action. The bills finished 19th in ypg, which is damn good considering the first year of the system AND going through the QB carousel.

Enlighten me please.

I agree. I think he adjusted pretty well last year. I do think he needs to learn better when to abandon the no-huddle offense. I do think he needs to learn how to get the most out of CJ Spiller. I am confident he will do both.

The knocks based on the preseason games are a little mind-boggling, but I can understand some of the concern.

All in all, he's a 2nd year OC. I'm willing to give him this year to prove his worth.

I know me neither. The offense is such a dynamic powerhouse and were using all of our weapons to their full potential. We're unpredictable and our option schemes are real head scratchers for opposing defenses. The man has been flawless thus far. He's only in his 30s but he already has the mind of a young Lombardi.

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

Enlighten me please.

We were like 4th worst in the league in play action effectiveness, statistically speaking.

He was setup to fail with qb injuries, and coaching staff structure (possibly his own design) but he certainly hasn't shown to overachieve. That he was only a little below average in yards isn't a feat.

Edited by NoSaint

Run it up the middle, run it up the middle, short slant pass (usually incomplete, but if complete, only for 4-5 yards), then we punt. Do it all over and over and over again..

And if we make it to the red zone, were gettin 3 points!! :thumbsup:

That's why people hate.

Enlighten me please.

I agree with you. Let's not forget the injuries to our RB's last year either. I was impressed how he held it together last year and never seemed to panic with all the injuries to key players. However, I'm not sold on him totally, I don't like the hurry up offense when Manuel still has a ways to go to be a solid QB. I don't question the play calling.... everyone criticizes the play if it doesn't work . He does deserve more of a chance than he has been given by many.

I know me neither. The offense is such a dynamic powerhouse and were using all of our weapons to their full potential. We're unpredictable and our option schemes are real head scratchers for opposing defenses. The man has been flawless thus far. He's only in his 30s but he already has the mind of a young Lombardi.

:thumbsup:

A lot of competent coordinators would have struggled with our qb's and the injury to Spiller, to say nothing of the left guard debacle. My beef with Hackett is the hurry-up offense, a "me-too" gimmick that has nothing to do with the personnel here--on the contrary. You have green qb's, a shaky line and a new offense and you use a hurry up? Way to pin back those clueless db's and confused pass rushers!

Hackett might be a decent coordinator some day with another team, but only because he's learning on the job at the Bills' expense. But, hey, you get what you pay for.

Enlighten me please.

To me it's the way he is not using Spiller....always running up the middle and never as a receiver....he should be a major player in the passing game as when Gailey was here...not just horribly set up screen passes

you dont have to "get" it you just have to "agree"! Just repeat what the doomsday preachers on this site say and all will be well. Oh, also just do this with your real feelings and opinions :bag: and when they start to win you can say oh I knew they were going to have a good season all along.Just roll with it man!

To me it's the way he is not using Spiller....always running up the middle and never as a receiver....he should be a major player in the passing game as when Gailey was here...not just horribly set up screen passes

Oh, you mean when Gailey wouldnt use him much because he got winded?

promise not to judge him until after this season.

my biggest issue (and a few others here) was over-using the hurry up and putting an inordinate amount of pressure on our defense to win us games.

qb injuries were brutal, and he called some good games for sure, especially considering the ineffectiveness of our Oline in most games.

this will be his defining year. he cant be happy about the LG situation continuing to be a problem into his second season, but no team is perfect at all positions.