Turmoil brewing between Marrone and Whaley?

I think we have agreed to a certain extent, that Marrones career will depend on Hacketts ability and loyalty to him. If the offense is not improved this year, Whaley will ask for Hackett's head. His tenure will be determined in his ability to deliver it.

EJ has struggled at points, but I think most, even a good amount of EJ haters, can agree there are things that EJ is strong at. One is play action, and outside plays. My biggest knock on Hackett is his use of them sparingly rather than as a foundation of the offensive system.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you trying to tell me you think everything is fine and dandy right now? We have no reason to worry about the constant mess this training camp and pre season have been?

I think you are making it into a bigger mess than it is, because this offseason is going on forever.

Just this post leads me to believe you are blowing it out of proportion:

We have no idea what it was about thats the problem, but it happened and there was evidence it did. The fact is Whaley, Brandon and Marrone have now had 2 highly animated discussions in the last week. Players are speaking out against Marrones practice schedule. They are talking back to the head coach. He made them run wind sprints to teach them a lesson like kids. Call it nothing if you want, but something does not seem right.

Whaley, and Brandon putting pressure on Marrone. That's a good thing. Saturdays play was not acceptable.

2 people "spoke out" about the practice schedule. Two. That's it. The funny thing is that one of those two was asked what he thought! God forbid he be honest and tell what he thinks. So in reality, one loudmouth spoke out, and talked back to the head coach. You are blowing it out of proportion.

The players kept fighting so Marrone disciplined them. If they would quit fighting like high school kids, maybe they wouldn't be treated like kids. He had to do something.

I think we have agreed to a certain extent, that Marrones career will depend on Hacketts ability and loyalty to him. If the offense is not improved this year, Whaley will ask for Hackett's head. His tenure will be determined in his ability to deliver it.

If anything, Whaley has not shown himself to be a man of patience. If the offense stinks and he believes the OC is the main culprit, IMO, Whaley will make a move mid-season.

If you really have to know, Marrone was angry that Whaley dropped a steamer in his office bathroom and didn't flush again

Brandon is just there for the laughs

Upper decker. Classic Whaley move...classic....

I think you are making it into a bigger mess than it is, because this offseason is going on forever.

Just this post leads me to believe you are blowing it out of proportion:

Whaley, and Brandon putting pressure on Marrone. That's a good thing. Saturdays play was not acceptable.

2 people "spoke out" about the practice schedule. Two. That's it. The funny thing is that one of those two was asked what he thought! God forbid he be honest and tell what he thinks. So in reality, one loudmouth spoke out, and talked back to the head coach. You are blowing it out of proportion.

The players kept fighting so Marrone disciplined them. If they would quit fighting like high school kids, maybe they wouldn't be treated like kids. He had to do something.

There have been fights in every other camp. Yet the Bills are the only players that were treated "like kids" that does not go over well in the pros. Maybe in college that works, but not here.

Multiple players, respected vets included were reportedly unhappy with the camp practice schedule (According to Joe B). Not just FJax. Most notably having to practice after games.

We will certainly find out in two weeks.

I'll know which direction this season is going based on the performance they lay out there against the Bears. If they get annihilated I may consider doing something else on Sunday for the rest of the season, if they win then maybe we were wrong about the coaches/EJ/Players speaking out, etc, etc.

Promises, promises.

Perhaps Doug is less than thrilled about the QB situation. Swapping Thad for Palmer doesn't help in the short term whatsoever. All these guys have is short term. They are all going to be unemployed in 3 months.

We are going to fire the whole staff in November? DOOMED!

Disagreements amongst leadership shouldn't come as a surprise at this point. They have set very high expectations and at the moment are not trending towards achieving them. Fortunately, they haven't played a game yet. Everyone has the same end goal in mind but may have a very different view on what it takes to get there.

It was reported choice words, implying that some were heard. Why not report those?

I have my opinions about the fighting incident, I fall on the side of red flag, but would be willing to concede that it is non-issue, and understand the thought process. However pairing these two together in the last few weeks is not.

Hey, I'm not arguing about the fact that Aaron Murray went in the 4th or 5th round and the BILLS remained silent or Mettenberger or others, I'm just saying regarding some of the reported tension between DW and Marrone with Brandon in the mix, that I think some of it has to do with DW believing he was saddled with EJ and thought the best course of action was to basically *force* EJ into a state of psychological calm in hopes of boosting his confidence and letting him play....will it work? I have no idea...but my doubts are growing...

Murray and Mettenberger haven't set the world on fire in pre-seasonm even against backups, and Murray played in the 1st 2 games and missed the 3rd, which isn't a good sign.

For whatever it's worth, there's this:

Kevin Massare @KevinMassare · 2h

Re group chat: I think Marrone wanted a bigger threat at QB than Palmer.

Sounds like he's speculating, but he has been right in the past.

Or maybe Whaley wanted a bigger threat at OC than Hackett?

And perhaps this is the non-player version of the "Bickering Bills"?

Thanks for that context. That said, Marrone has gotta know that this quote is what is going to be pulled out and dissected by reporters.

Agree. He really gets himself in trouble, or in a position to be dissected, because he really tries to be honest with the press. And it backfires. I doubt he changes all that much though. He has strong feelings about a lot of stuff, and he sticks to it. He's learned a couple lessons that he says he is no longer going to do, like talk about injuries. But I doubt he stops being himself and getting himself into trouble.

Players, coaches and front office people just can't win with the media and the fans thirst and dissection and sometimes misrepresentation. Of course, they don't help themselves just as often.