Did EJ have time to get this to Fred?

fansince88

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Had time, yes. But he saw the defender creeping up on Fred, imo, then panicked.

Exactly, Freddy was there but like I said in an earlier post, you have a DB looking to break towards Fred. #27 seems to be following Manuel's eyes after letting his receiver off to the next level and clearly notices Freddy as an option.

Much like the play Robey made early in the game by sniffing out the play. Everyone loved robey for that but yet would blame Manuel for setting Freddy up for a big hit had he dumped it off with a DB looking to break towards Jackson.

I think that if the design of the play was to throw to FJ, then he had time. It wasn't- FJ was an option, and clearly not his first read. FJ was also in his blind side. There are QBs who can go through their reads that quickly, see the defenders coming, and get the ball out quick enough. EJ is not one of them. Also, very poor blocking by Richardson that caused EJ to take the sack. EJ needed to protect the ball better, but in preseason, it's more important to protect himself. And, as another poster alluded, had he gone to FJ that quickly, we very well might be reading a thread making comparisons to "Captain Checkdown."

Just my take.

Exactly, Freddy was there but like I said in an earlier post, you have a DB looking to break towards Fred. #27 seems to be following Manuel's eyes after letting his receiver off to the next level and clearly notices Freddy as an option.

Much like the play Robey made early in the game by sniffing out the play. Everyone loved robey for that but yet would blame Manuel for setting Freddy up for a big hit had he dumped it off with a DB looking to break towards Jackson.

All he had to do was badly overthrow FJ to avoid the sack and a big hit on FJ. The refs know he has accuracy issues and wouldn't have called grounding....

Although his decision was to avoid more talk of accuracy issues by using strategery to take the sack and not throw the ball away

All he had to do was badly overthrow FJ to avoid the sack and a big hit on FJ. The refs know he has accuracy issues and wouldn't have called grounding....

Although his decision was to avoid more talk of accuracy issues by using strategery to take the sack and not throw the ball away

He could have done that, if he wasn't still looking to make a play. Pocket awareness comes with experience, I'd think.

Not defending EJ's play yesterday, but I'm not horribly mad about that particular play.

EJ had exactly 3.26 seconds from the snap to the sack. He initially had Chandler open for 3 yards (the dreaded dump off.) No idea if anyone was open deeper. Likely not. Then he had Fred open for a dump off screen. Then boom. EJ messed this up but Cyril Richardson let his man go through like a matador to a bull.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

EJ made a mistake because he was trying to make a play. I hope that all of you lambasting him here will remember that you wanted an immediate check down when you are complaining that EJ checks down too quickly and doesn't scan the field. Sheesh.

He didnt make the play. Had he made a big play we are happy. It was 1st down. I have zero issue with a check down for 4 yards on 1st down when the bigger play is not there

I think most issues with EJ is he doesnt see the field well or process what he is seeing well, not that he doesnt scan the field.

He could have done that, if he wasn't still looking to make a play. Pocket awareness comes with experience, I'd think.

Not defending EJ's play yesterday, but I'm not horribly mad about that particular play.

If there is a play to be mad at its that one. Edited by TheTruthHurts

I was sarcastic in how I wrote my post, but do mean that part of him throwing it away and making sure FJ doesn't get blasted in the process. You are correct that that awareness comes with experience....

So Peyton manning prob has time to get it out there... I don't know if there are others who would, maybe Brees?

It was a bad play all around by, EJ the I line and a great push by tampas front four. These are the same guys that kicked their arse last year... So it reall shouldn't be a suprise.

Most qbs get the ball out there. 78% of all NFL pass attempts in 2013 came in 3 seconds or less. OLs arent blocking very long in today's NFL. Edited by TheTruthHurts

EJ made a mistake because he was trying to make a play. I hope that all of you lambasting him here will remember that you wanted an immediate check down when you are complaining that EJ checks down too quickly and doesn't scan the field. Sheesh.

Seriously - he obviously didn't realize how little time he had left was hoping for something to open up down field - can't tell from this angle if he had someone about to come free.

EJ had exactly 3.26 seconds from the snap to the sack. He initially had Chandler open for 3 yards (the dreaded dump off.) No idea if anyone was open deeper. Likely not. Then he had Fred open for a dump off screen. Then boom. EJ messed this up but Cyril Richardson let his man go through like a matador to a bull.

Which speaks to why EJ probably thought he still had time for a play to open up downfield.

I think that if the design of the play was to throw to FJ, then he had time. It wasn't- FJ was an option, and clearly not his first read. FJ was also in his blind side. There are QBs who can go through their reads that quickly, see the defenders coming, and get the ball out quick enough. EJ is not one of them. Also, very poor blocking by Richardson that caused EJ to take the sack. EJ needed to protect the ball better, but in preseason, it's more important to protect himself. And, as another poster alluded, had he gone to FJ that quickly, we very well might be reading a thread making comparisons to "Captain Checkdown."

Just my take.

Or reading about Fred's injury or loss of yards and how stupid EJ is for putting Fred at danger or the INT.

Seems to me like he looked and had time, but saw the db coming and decided not to throw (or didn't make a decision in time.) I fault him for the fumble, not the decision not to throw.

This. The problem was not securing the ball and fumbling it away. Not the decision making on that play.

He cannot afford to make mistakes like that if he is not making more than his share of very good passes that produce points.

You get the ball to your playmakers with the expectation that they will make one guy miss. If that guy makes the play you tip your hat and move on. You shouldn't take a sack at the expense of attempting to make a play.

An exceptionally quick, athletic, poised QB could have got this to Fred. But the main problem here is the OL broke down and did not provide adequate protection.

Hindsight is 20-20. Yes, EJ does seem to glance at Fred. But no QB will always make the perfect decision with a second or two to react when facing rapid unexpected pressure. This one play doesn't damn EJ. Lots of Hall of Fame QBs have made comparable errors.

An exceptionally quick, athletic, poised QB could have got this to Fred. But the main problem here is the OL broke down and did not provide adequate protection.

Hindsight is 20-20. Yes, EJ does seem to glance at Fred. But no QB will always make the perfect decision with a second or two to react when facing rapid unexpected pressure. This one play doesn't damn EJ. Lots of Hall of Fame QBs have made comparable errors.

EJ needed to be none of those to swing the ball to Fred. It was the first place he looked with a clear and open passing lane. He ran into trouble once he decided against that option and it all disintegrated from there.

He had more than enough time, qbs dont hold the ball over 3 seconds often. But the problem here is situational football. Its 1st down, not 3rd so here is when you do take what is given. An average QB knows that. But EJ is still learning, these are hopefully just growing pains.

If he dumps it to Fred, the fumble never happened, but this post is instead about EJ checking down too much (Fred gains two at most). The o-line stunk on this particular play (and most others), and EJ at least had his eyes down field. I'm not trying to be an apologist, but these plays happen to every QB. EJ's issue is about accuracy, and not much else.