Did EJ have time to get this to Fred?

fansince88

If he dumps it to Fred, the fumble never happened, but this post is instead about EJ checking down too much (Fred gains two at most). The o-line stunk on this particular play (and most others), and EJ at least had his eyes down field. I'm not trying to be an apologist, but these plays happen to every QB. EJ's issue is about accuracy, and not much else.

While that is true, it's difficult to see, even in the all-22 often, the real POV of the quarterback, and where the defenders really are, as well as know the play call. All QBs, even great ones, miss guys open and don't throw to them right away all the time. The play may not have been designed to do that. The real issue on that play was his ball security. He didn't even get hit all that hard. It was a good strip by the defense but he just cannot fumble that ball away. That is the real issue. Not throwing to Fred is not a cause for concern.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, ball security is about number 10 on ej's thing to clean up, the first five being accuracy to various parts of the field. I've far from given up on him, but to deny his obvious shortcomings is unfair at this point.

So now we're dissecting one specific play in a preseason game? There were MANY things that hurt us this past game, not just that play. Penalties and O-Line lead the list.

But if we're going to discuss this specific play, then let's talk about how untrustworthy EJ is after the play is ruled a TD, I believed him when he made it look like he was down for sure. I expect that from a player on D or even a WR. But not EJ. I thought he was an honest dude. Thank God all turnovers are automatically reviewed now cuz he would of had Marrone's (not knowing what's going on in a games) ass waste a challenge.

So now we're dissecting one specific play in a preseason game? There were MANY things that hurt us this past game, not just that play. Penalties and O-Line lead the list.

But if we're going to discuss this specific play, then let's talk about how untrustworthy EJ is after the play is ruled a TD, I believed him when he made it look like he was down for sure. I expect that from a player on D or even a WR. But not EJ. I thought he was an honest dude. Thank God all turnovers are automatically reviewed now cuz he would of had Marrone's (not knowing what's going on in a games) ass waste a challenge.

There are plays in the middle of the game when you think something happened that didn't. There is ZERO excuse for EJ fumbling on that play. He cannot let that happen. But it easily could have been that he 100% THOUGHT his knee hit the ground before the ball squirted out. In super slo mo it was clearly a fumble. But we are talking about 1-2 tenths of a second in real time.

There are plays in the middle of the game when you think something happened that didn't. There is ZERO excuse for EJ fumbling on that play. He cannot let that happen. But it easily could have been that he 100% THOUGHT his knee hit the ground before the ball squirted out. In super slo mo it was clearly a fumble. But we are talking about 1-2 tenths of a second in real time.

Well he himself moved in slo mo on that play in real time. So really for him, it was more like 4 to 8 tenths of a second.

Actually I started this post because of a disagreement about the play. Weather or no He had time to throw it to Fred. The original argument is that he saw Fred but decided against throwing it. I argued he may not have seen Fred. After watching the video I can see that he did look right at Fred. Now my point is that He did not or did have time to throw the ball. We say he should have done this or that all game but have we ever analized a particular play by film? I think not. Now lets look at the play and figure out if criticizing him is justified or not.

Edited by fansince88