We don't have so much a QB problem as an O-line problem.

QB play is about timing and rhythm. EJ had people in the backfield after him on most pass attempts. It's almost all on the offensive line. Woods slipped once, chandler slipped and it was picked off... The only poor throws I can remember were that first swing pass and the throw to woods on a seam route( he was hit while throwing). Yes, the problem is the offensive line. Oh by the way GERALD MCCOY was on the other side of the line. He is the number one or two DT in the league going against a rookie and Wood or Wood and Pears mostly. That is a tough task. Chris Williams is not some messiah either folks. Tom Brady hardly ever gets touched, he's had some success. EJ had people on him on pretty much every play and that mess is what you get

Edited by SJDK

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ had open targets and didn't see them. He's not hopeless but he's not good right now. Hackett has not put him in position to succeed as he doesn't know how. Guard play was bad. That's on Marrone. Never thought I'd say it but is Igcognito still available?

Incognito is out there and maybe Alex Boone

All I know is, Cyrus Kouandijo was a horrible pick and I said it from day one. That pick could of been used for either a better lineman, TE or even a QB.

By giving away next year's 1st round pick for Sammy, you need at least your 2nd round pick to pan out also. After watching him play, he plays very ugly and not the good kind of ugly...

Care to cite any specific examples from yesterday's game?

There were two straight plays in the 2nd Q where both Woods and Chandlet were running free on verticals and EJ just ducked his head well before the pressure got there.

There were several others, but those two come to mind immediately. I'd look up specifics of down/distance/series if I weren't on mobile at the moment, so please excuse the lack of data.

Anyone who watches EJ and thinks he's a legit starting NFL QB is blinded by desperation. It's as simple as that.

You are correct, Sir!

He doesn't pass the eyeball test or the smell test. I don't see a quality NFL QB in Manuel no matter how hard I squint or hold my nose.

Isn't he supposed to bring something to the table? Why does every Bills QB have to be some massive re-construction project from the ground up? It's ridiculous how blind people are when they can't admit a mistake has been made. Why aren't the Bills looking for a veteran QB to school the newbie? The fact that the Bills have Tuel and Lewis as backups just shows how inept this organization really is! The new owner can't get here soon enough. The house needs a total cleaning.

Incognito is out there and maybe Alex Boone

:thumbsup:

Incognito would probably come cheap and grades about as well as Andy Levitre did.

Boone didn't grade so well last year, and wants Levitre type money.

The Bills current OG situation is currently just so very bad, sign Incognito IMO

QB play is about timing and rhythm. EJ had people in the backfield after him on most pass attempts. It's almost all on the offensive line. Woods slipped once, chandler slipped and it was picked off... The only poor throws I can remember were that first swing pass and the throw to woods on a seam route( he was hit while throwing). Yes, the problem is the offensive line. Oh by the way GERALD MCCOY was on the other side of the line. He is the number one or two DT in the league going against a rookie and Wood or Wood and Pears mostly. That is a tough task. Chris Williams is not some messiah either folks. Tom Brady hardly ever gets touched, he's had some success. EJ had people on him on pretty much every play and that mess is what you get

+1000

What game did you watch? When he had time to throw his accuracy stunk! Plus he looks terribly slow and has zero pocket presence.

Maybe you had a few too many during the game? Don't blame you if you did - It will be the only way to survive watching this team this season..........

EJ was bad. But PTR is on the money about that Oline. There is no way you watched that game and came away without seeing the Oline was just as bad. They had little push in the run game. They broke down in protection, particularly up the middle. Receivers falling down. Turnovers. It was bad all the way around. EJ played his part, but he was far from alone.

Erik Pears, RG, -4.2

Breakdown: The return of Cory Glenn (-1.2) saw a re-shuffle on the right side that didn’t go well for either Erik Pears or Seantrel Henderson (-2.4). This was a baptism of fire for Pears who struggled with the destructive pairing of McCoy and McDonald. Both as a run blocker (-2.3) and pass protector (-1.5) Pears struggled, surrendering stops, pressures and a hold in each phase of the game.

Signature Stat: Both Pears and Henderson graded negatively after cumulative positive grades at LT (+2.8 for Henderson) and RT (+1.7 for Pears), respectively, in the first three preseason games.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/08/24/refo-buccaneers-bills-preseason-week-3/

Our offensive woes today started with failures on the O-line, in both pass and run blocking. We are so focused on what EJ is doing we completely miss the eff-ups up front.

Agreed. No run game, except when called back for a penalty. EJ clearly scrambling or under pressure on most plays, hardly had time to survey the field, etc.

I'm not an EJ apologist but we can't make a clear evaluation of a QB when he's rarely given a good chance to make plays. Against inferior competition and more important, not running for his life, he actually looked like a decent QB. I also think the play action helped in the 2nd half drives.

Our primary problem is fixing the O-Line and reliable run game so the defense isn't teeing-off on our QBs. Then we can evaluate if EJ can make it in the league.

We've officially jumped the shark in this thread as we now have folks attributing Tom Brady's success to his OL...the same OL that allowed more than double the sacks as the previous year when Matt Cassell played after Brady was injured despite no change in personnel.

The QB and the OL are two different things folks.

Blame the OL for their play; blame the QB for his.

You are correct, Sir!

He doesn't pass the eyeball test or the smell test. I don't see a quality NFL QB in Manuel no matter how hard I squint or hold my nose.

Isn't he supposed to bring something to the table? Why does every Bills QB have to be some massive re-construction project from the ground up? It's ridiculous how blind people are when they can't admit a mistake has been made. Why aren't the Bills looking for a veteran QB to school the newbie? The fact that the Bills have Tuel and Lewis as backups just shows how inept this organization really is! The new owner can't get here soon enough. The house needs a total cleaning.

The greatest thing about this thread is who started it. If there is one thing PTR is, it's a blinded, cool aid drinkin, unconditional Bills fan. Good for him and other like him.

You've been around here long enough to expect these kinds of threads. Anyone who watched EJ's act in college knew that he was gonna bust quickly. I made my thoughts well known on draft day and that was pretty much the last time I was active on this board. His selection was nothing but desperation just like this PTR excuse thread. Jimbo dumbed down the offense for him for him at FSU and made it a one read offense. Jimbo knew he could simply out-man anyone in the weak ACC and it worked until they need EJ to pull one out himself like every good/great QB. They needed him in the NC st game and he couldn't muster a point against a terrible team the entire second half... and while you're at it go watch the Gators game that year and you'll see a QB unable to carry a team when it's desperate. EJ has always been incapable of putting a team on his back, despite having an incredible amount of talent around him, and of course it wasn't going to change in the NFL.

The fact that Whaley, Marrone and whoever else "had say" thought it was okay to go into this season with the trio of fail is beyond me.

PTR, keep battling man. Cue CB97's, "he got farther than you in life dude!"

@mikerodak: GM Doug Whaley just called OC Nate Hackett from tunnel. Whaley meeting with Russ Brandon, Marrone at entrance to locker room.

See this is how I envisioned it......I think Hackett's superiors told him to knock whatever the F he was doing off and start calling some NFL offensive plays

Not showing anything in pre season be damned.....you have to actually execute an offense with a young QB so he can get some confidence

The greatest thing about this thread is who started it. If there is one thing PTR is, it's a blinded, cool aid drinkin, unconditional Bills fan. Good for him and other like him.

You've been around here long enough to expect these kinds of threads. Anyone who watched EJ's act in college knew that he was gonna bust quickly. I made my thoughts well known on draft day and that was pretty much the last time I was active on this board. His selection was nothing but desperation just like this PTR excuse thread. Jimbo dumbed down the offense for him for him at FSU and made it a one read offense. Jimbo knew he could simply out-man anyone in the weak ACC and it worked until they need EJ to pull one out himself like every good/great QB. They needed him in the NC st game and he couldn't muster a point against a terrible team the entire second half... and while you're at it go watch the Gators game that year and you'll see a QB unable to carry a team when it's desperate. EJ has always been incapable of putting a team on his back, despite having an incredible amount of talent around him, and of course it wasn't going to change in the NFL.

The fact that Whaley, Marrone and whoever else "had say" thought it was okay to go into this season with the trio of fail is beyond me.

I lol'd

Wrong, the QB flat sucks. A decent QB can make reads and get rid of the ball. EJ is slow and can't read defenses

Yet he did against the backups....and did so periodically against starters last season. Will he ever do it consistently enough to become legit? I have no idea. What I do know is that blanket generalizations are never good for constructive conversations(apart from the one I just typed of course :blush: ).

Imma battle with PTR! Many of you are wishing/hoping Manuel fail for the "I told u so" moment! Why won't y'all give EJ credit for the good games he played against the Pats, Panthers, Jets and Falcons games last year. Many people thought Drew Brees wasn't good, now look at him. EJ will be a good QB in this league. He has the work ethic to do so. He wants to prove his naysayers wrong. Strengthen the interior of the Oline and watch EJ and CJ do their thing.

We've officially jumped the shark in this thread as we now have folks attributing Tom Brady's success to his OL...the same OL that allowed more than double the sacks as the previous year when Matt Cassell played after Brady was injured despite no change in personnel.

The QB and the OL are two different things folks.

Blame the OL for their play; blame the QB for his.

Yep. Good post.

LOL!