We don't have so much a QB problem as an O-line problem.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd call myself a pretty big fan of EJ who wants to see him do well but he definitely looked bad yesterday. I'm bowing to some of the expertise on this board because I saw someone else comment on how he looks very mechanical. Is it possible that the play calling and design of plays by Hackett doesn't allow for EJ to be more instinctual? I was never a qb so I won't pretend I know. Is it something where Hackett says this play goes here no matter what? In my viewing of Ej at FSU, he seemed to be better when he could just play and not be a robot. Just my two cents but if anyone can shed a little light on my question I'd appreciate it.

Things are just happening too fast for him out there and he's not experienced/comfortable enough to make the reads he needs to in the time he's given. It's the classic young QB syndrome. It's why he looks much better in the 2 minute offense - he stops thinking and just goes out there and tries to make plays.

Sure he looked bad in the 1st half yesterday but the posters saying he'll never be good are going way overboard. He needs time to develop. It's a process and the kid has only started 10 NFL games. There's no guarantee he'll ever be a legit franchise QB but the biggest mistake this franchise could make is listening to the fans who want to blow it up and start over again.

Bills analyst said they looked like they were running the same 4 plays over and over again

Because they were . Even the Asshat Bentley could see that. ( actually Tasker probably pointed it out )

the second halve they opened Nates big book a little.

Chapter two.....

Things are just happening too fast for him out there and he's not experienced/comfortable enough to make the reads he needs to in the time he's given. It's the classic young QB syndrome. It's why he looks much better in the 2 minute offense - he stops thinking and just goes out there and tries to make plays.

Sure he looked bad in the 1st half yesterday but the posters saying he'll never be good are going way overboard. He needs time to develop. It's a process and the kid has only started 10 NFL games. There's no guarantee he'll ever be a legit franchise QB but the biggest mistake this franchise could make is listening to the fans who want to blow it up and start over again.

Agreed. It's still early for both the QB and the OL, but man that game was tough to watch...

I agree. And execution starts with the O-line. And BTW I don't believe you re-watched the game.

Love you PTR but you're in denial. Maybe if EJ plays against every team's back-ups we have a chance. He is regressing, limited and unsure, but we are locked into him no matter what. And this coaching staff has done a horrible job preparing him.

Our offensive woes today started with failures on the O-line, in both pass and run blocking. We are so focused on what EJ is doing we completely miss the eff-ups up front.

Wrong, the QB flat sucks. A decent QB can make reads and get rid of the ball. EJ is slow and can't read defenses

The Colts worked to improve their line as Luck was sacked way to often, and they knew it. A better line, and that team goes further in the playoffs. Still, we are not talking about comparing the Colts line to the poop the Bills fielded last year in replacing Levitre.

Matt Ryan was healthy all last year, although the same can't be said for his line or receiver corps. Taking away those two factors shows how important having a good line, WR corps can be to a team. A proven playoff QB went* into the crapper with sub par players. I have no idea why others don't ever notice stuff like this.

Matt Stafford went into a funk late last season because his line failed to protect him. The result of that got his HC fired...Schwartz is now the Bills DC! Stafford is a QB that for 4650 yards, has the very best WR in the game. a top RB. So why aren't they in the playoffs every year?

Both Aaron Rodgers & Big Ben miss time because of their bad lines, and both have suffered numerous concussions. How long will they remain being good QB's if that continues to happen? It makes me wonder would those teams (GB, Pitt, Atl, Indy) have become a dynasties like the Patriots with a better O lines?

You simply can't compare what the Bills fielded to other team because the Bills OG's were among some of the very worst in the league, as was the RT. Thus the reason why Whaley signed a FA OG for 5.5 mill, and drafted three new O linemen.

And despite those under performing lines, Matt Ryan threw for 4500 yards and 26 TDS. Stafford threw for 4600 yards and 29 TDs. Rodgers had 2500 yards and 17 TDs in 9 games. Big Ben had 4200 yards and 28 TDs.

Edited by BlueFire

Again, they are really using EJ wrong. The success he had at FSU (I watched all the games, good and bad) was when there was a chance he would run. I thought they drafted him for this weapon. It's a limited one in the NFL but they really should use it or get someone more suited to the strategy they want to use. I had hopes for this coaching staff even with my reservations about their experience. Probably time to put Schwartz in charge and move on.

Wrong, the QB flat sucks. A decent QB can make reads and get rid of the ball. EJ is slow and can't read defenses

EJ was awful yesterday.

I don't think he sucks; just had a bad outing. He looked fine each of the last 2 weeks IMO--one or two throws aside.

I think too many folks look at the OL and the QB as though one is solely dependent upon te other--that's not the case.

Great QBs play well in spite of the OL. The kid had plenty of plays yesterday where there were multiple open targets and he failed to keep his head up and get the ball out.

That's on him.

EJ was awful yesterday.

I don't think he sucks; just had a bad outing. He looked fine each of the last 2 weeks IMO--one or two throws aside.

I think too many folks look at the OL and the QB as though one is solely dependent upon te other--that's not the case.

Great QBs play well in spite of the OL. The kid had plenty of plays yesterday where there were multiple open targets and he failed to keep his head up and get the ball out.

That's on him.

Care to cite any specific examples from yesterday's game?

I just rewatched the 1st half. Im taking back a lot of what I said about EJ.

The oline is a mess.....there was a major penalty or turnover every single play of significance....a big run or pass.

EJs worst play was the fumble.

The bad throw behind woods down the seam on 3rd down...EJ is getting planted in the ground. He stood in and made the read and throw---thats a big deal---he didn't cower. There were 2 plays where pears gets absolutely destroyed---he cant play there---at least against stud DTs hes going to get mauled.

I saw not one other bad throw (and even that hit Woods).. 2 were deflected. I or 2 others were maybe on 3rd and a mile and irrelevant. There are no plays for 3rd and 40.....wow did twitter overreact yesterday.

Everything I saw is extremely fixable. Im even going to walk back some on Hackett.

If this oline gets right we will be fine.

I actually feel a lot better now.

And yes. ....Henderson and Glenn are going to be nasty

Edited by Big Blitz

I just rewatched the 1st half. Im taking back a lot of what I said about EJ.

The oline is a mess.....there was a major penalty or turnover every single play of significance....a big run or pass.

EJs worst play was the fumble.

The bad throw behind woods down the seam on 3rd down...EJ is getting planted in the ground. He stood in and made the read and throw---thats a big deal---he didn't cower. There were 2 plays where pears gets absolutely destroyed---he cant play there---at least against stud DTs hes going to get mauled.

I saw not one other bad throw (and even that hit Woods).. 2 were deflected. I or 2 others were maybe on 3rd and a mile and irrelevant. There are no plays for 3rd and 40.....wow did twitter overreact yesterday.

Everything I saw is extremely fixable. Im even going to walk back some on Hackett.

If this oline gets right we will be fine.

I actually feel a lot better now.

And yes. ....Henderson and Glenn are going to be nasty

I agree, a lot of this was on the o line. A lot of good plays were negated and often the field position was awful too boot. How many teams can over come needing 30 yards for a first down? I'm just saying although Manuel struggled, the kid had little time in the pocket and often faced a rush that looked almost unblocked.

Sme need to keep in mind the bucs have invested heavily in their defense, especially their defensive line.

I agree, a lot of this was on the o line. A lot of good plays were negated and often the field position was awful too boot. How many teams can over come needing 30 yards for a first down? I'm just saying although Manuel struggled, the kid had little time in the pocket and often faced a rush that looked almost unblocked.

Sme need to keep in mind the bucs have invested heavily in their defense, especially their defensive line.

I thought Spiller had a good game yesterday. We'd be talking more about it if it wasn't for a couple good runs getting negated by penalty.

The Steelers have long had an O-line problem. They don't have a QB problem, so it worked out fine for them...

Not true. And Ben is a potential hall of famer. And he had the benefit of a great run game and a few of the best defenses of the last 10 years to bail him out early in his career.

Agreed! The overreaction to a preseason game where they weren't showing their hand and the refs took away every big play we had in the first half is astonishing. We're Bills fans we've seen much worse and we need to show support for a very talented team until at the very least there is again no shot at making the playoffs...I saw it on someones signature and to me it crystalizes things but basically it said there are only 32 cities that have the privilege of having an NFL team and we're lucky enough to be one of them...I hated the playcalling of Hackett last year and was devastated we lost Coach Pettine to Cleveland and Kiko for all of this season but lets give this 2nd year coaching staff and 1st full season of EJ playing in the NFL a chance. Hopefully we break this no playoff streak...if not back to sucking it up and being a bills fan (best fans in the NFL)

This is absolutely ridiculous, the excuse makers never cease to amaze me.

EJ ain't jay cutler- but even jay cutler plays horribly when his offensive line and receivers let him down. recall the bears woes of a few years ago.

Football is a team sport and the offense begins and ends with the strength of its offensive line. may fans misunderstand this. The Bills have let this area slip for far too long and have favored signing the so called headline making impact players. unfortunately even the best impact runner or receiver is not effective unless the OL is not the team's weak link.

EJ may never be as good as manning, brady, etc, QBs who do better with a poorer supporting team than others- but he also is not as bad as his abilities show in these recent games. The OL is the biggest problem on the team. period.

EJ played poorly in the first half. He played poorly, accept it. The line was bad, I'll give you that, but so was EJ, even when he had time. Watch his throws, watch his reads and watch his decision making, it was awful.

I'd love to think a light bulb went on at halftime, but, it was against the 2nd string, so I don't put much faith in it. He looked good against the 2nd team, but we don't play against the 2nd team.

true. but consider how the line affected down and distance. how many times did ej throw into third and long? third and long is a gift to the defense because it is an obvious passing down and is has a low conversion rate for many teams-

Conversion rates

When you examine the success rate of converting second and third downs over the past three years, you can see why getting 4-plus yards on first down is the key:

Down/distance Success Pct.

Second-and-1-5 yards 56

Second-and-6-9 yards 27

Second-and-10-plus 17

Third-and-1 67

Third-and-2 52

Third-and-3 49

Third-and-4 47

Third-and-5 42

Third-and-6 41

Third-and-7 37

Third-and-8 32

Third-and-9 32

Third-and-10 or more 20

This board talked about this before this year's draft. We had a QB problem and an OL problem last year too. So spend a #1 and give away a future #1 to get a WR!? Great....

Absolutely agreed. The Bills sign the headline makers and ignore the O-Line. Again and again.

Edited by jethro_tull

Again, they are really using EJ wrong. The success he had at FSU (I watched all the games, good and bad) was when there was a chance he would run. I thought they drafted him for this weapon. It's a limited one in the NFL but they really should use it or get someone more suited to the strategy they want to use. I had hopes for this coaching staff even with my reservations about their experience. Probably time to put Schwartz in charge and move on.

Agreed but hopefully used more often in the regular season and sparingly / not at all during the P/S.