We don't have so much a QB problem as an O-line problem.

Ha, fair enough.

From my vantage point we don't "have" problems (though I'd rather the OLine shuffle came to an abrupt end...soon) as much as "had" problems Saturday. And yes, those problems Saturday weren't OLine problems, they weren't running back problems, quarterback problems, wide receiver problems or problems with the play calling, penalties or problems with the tight end falling on his ass, giving up interceptions.

The were just problems. The whole !@#$ing offense was a problem Saturday. Blame should be distributed evenly and accordingly!!

That includes you Mr. Overgrown Malkin....what did you do to aid the offense?

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha, fair enough.

From my vantage point we don't "have" problems (though I'd rather the OLine shuffle came to an abrupt end...soon) as much as "had" problems Saturday. And yes, those problems Saturday weren't OLine problems, they weren't running back problems, quarterback problems, wide receiver problems or problems with the play calling, penalties or problems with the tight end falling on his ass, giving up interceptions.

The were just problems. The whole !@#$ing offense was a problem Saturday. Blame should be distributed evenly and accordingly!!

:thumbsup: Perfectly summarized.

I'd like to point out that not everyone that disagrees with the OP is a "pitchforker". I'm quite supportive of EJ; I just don't excuse his poor play on Saturday on account of the OL.

Fair enough. Sorry for the broad brush generalization, but much of what I have read the past couple of days has been mind numbing. I certainly do not fault the OL for all the problems, and EJ certainly has room to improve, but I do think the OL was the bigger problem on Saturday. Perhaps continuity, perhaps lack of talent, but I am hoping it is more the former and we will see more consistent play from the line in the coming weeks. That, more than anything, will help EJ improve.

Imma battle with PTR! Many of you are wishing/hoping Manuel fail for the "I told u so" moment! Why won't y'all give EJ credit for the good games he played against the Pats, Panthers, Jets and Falcons games last year. Many people thought Drew Brees wasn't good, now look at him. EJ will be a good QB in this league. He has the work ethic to do so. He wants to prove his naysayers wrong. Strengthen the interior of the Oline and watch EJ and CJ do their thing.

If you get your kicks by carrying the water for this team, then go for it. I've done it for several years and found it entertaining, but it's no longer fun pretending the chubby girl we brought to the dance may slim down, doll up, and develop from a 4 to an 8, and be everything we hoped for. I'm not saying she won't, but I'd feel a lot better if I was showing up with a 6 that at least somebody else was interested in.

If EJ becomes a serviceable NFL QB you guys won't have to come here begging fans to forget the subpar play that he has demonstrated thus far in favor of focusing on the half dozen good plays he's made. The bulk of the fan base will embrace him like we have so many lovable losers before him. And he doesn't even have to be great - just decent. And while the jury is still out (mine anyway) the long-term prognosis looks a little shakey right now.

I do think as fans we should understand he's a young kid under a lot of pressure, and refrain from being !@#$s at the stadium, on Twitter, etc. But the fact that the new brain trust went "all in" on an overdrafted project, with no alternative in sight, doesn't exactly get me giddy with excitement. If he doesn't turn the corner hard and fast, this so-called rebuild will just be another blip on the Bills pathetically shameful recent history, and we're on to the next rebuild.

I'll admit. I didn't start watching until 90 mins after kickoff.

My bad, guys.

I expect better good sir.

If you get your kicks by carrying the water for this team, then go for it. I've done it for several years and found it entertaining, but it's no longer fun pretending the chubby girl we brought to the dance may slim down, doll up, and develop from a 4 to an 8, and be everything we hoped for. I'm not saying she won't, but I'd feel a lot better if I was showing up with a 6 that at least somebody else was interested in.

If EJ becomes a serviceable NFL QB you guys won't have to come here begging fans to forget the subpar play that he has demonstrated thus far in favor of focusing on the half dozen good plays he's made. The bulk of the fan base will embrace him like we have so many lovable losers before him. And he doesn't even have to be great - just decent. And while the jury is still out (mine anyway) the long-term prognosis looks a little shakey right now.

I do think as fans we should understand he's a young kid under a lot of pressure, and refrain from being !@#$s at the stadium, on Twitter, etc. But the fact that the new brain trust went "all in" on an overdrafted project, with no alternative in sight, doesn't exactly get me giddy with excitement. If he doesn't turn the corner hard and fast, this so-called rebuild will just be another blip on the Bills pathetically shameful recent history, and we're on to the next rebuild.

The one part of this I agree with is the idea that another young option should've been brought in...spending a 4th on Murray or Mettenberger would've been a prudent move. I'd also be placing hourly calls to Kyle Orton and asking him what he wants to play backup for this team. Blank check, Kyle.

I expect better good sir.

The one part of this I agree with is the idea that another young option should've been brought in...spending a 4th on Murray or Mettenberger would've been a prudent move. I'd also be placing hourly calls to Kyle Orton and asking him what he wants to play backup for this team. Blank check, Kyle.

The posturing for Orton must end.

The man doesn't want to play football.

The posturing for Orton must end.

The man doesn't want to play football.

I did a quick google on it and only found that of July 23rd that he wasn't intending to retire.

Do you have a link or something on it?

The problem I guess is EJ did not come out of the womb NFL ready?

It's a different age, they need to come out and be NFL ready today. Especially with the amount of pro style offenses colleges are running, there really isn't an excuse to not be or almost be NFL ready nowadays. IMO I don't think EJ is close to NFL ready.

That's a brutal mischaracterization of what many folks here are saying.

I don't see anyone expecting EJ to have come out of the womb NFL ready, nor do I see anyone expecting him to be perfect, amazing, excellent, great, very good, or even above average at this point. I think a lot of folks are concerned that he had such a bad game, regardless of the circumstances. It was a regression in comparison to his first 3 preseason games, and a staggering one at that.

He needs to play better; it seems like you're taking that personally and it's confusing.

So you don't agree that we should refrain from acting like !@#$s? Come to think of it, that's not really my strong suit anyway. All right, we'll do it your way.

It's a different age, they need to come out and be NFL ready today. Especially with the amount of pro style offenses colleges are running, there really isn't an excuse to not be or almost be NFL ready nowadays. IMO I don't think EJ is close to NFL ready.

That's a brutal mischaracterization of what many folks here are saying.

I don't see anyone expecting EJ to have come out of the womb NFL ready, nor do I see anyone expecting him to be perfect, amazing, excellent, great, very good, or even above average at this point. I think a lot of folks are concerned that he had such a bad game, regardless of the circumstances. It was a regression in comparison to his first 3 preseason games, and a staggering one at that.

He needs to play better; it seems like you're taking that personally and it's confusing.

You're kidding right? That is exactly what people expect. Perfect accuracy, perfect execution the moment EJ stepped on the field. Old School just said that in this "age" QB's have to be born ready. How does that happen? I guess out of 100 QBs there is an Andrew Luck who is automatic. So all we have to do is draft a QB who already knows how to play at an NFL level with no prior experience. Easy peasy. No unreasonable expectations here.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

You can call it whatever you want. You said it yourself, when plays break down or the pressure gets close, he does not know how to handle it. That's not an EJ specific problem, but it's a QB problem. Some think he will learn to handle it with experience, which is fair.

The one thing I do know is that we will never take the pressure away. That is not even a shade of a solution. We can try to lessen it, we can use play action or screens to make them pay, but as we all have seen with Fitz, sooner or later a QB needs to deliver throws under pressure.

So yes, QB problem, not O-line problem.

You're kidding right? That is exactly what people expect. Perfect accuracy, perfect execution the moment EJ stepped on the field. Old School just said that in this "age" QB's have to be born ready. How does that happen? I guess out of 100 QBs there is an Andrew Luck who is automatic. So all we have to do is draft a QB who already knows how to play at an NFL level with no prior experience. Easy peasy. No unreasonable expectations here.

I guess it depends on how long it takes to develop him. A guy who needs 3-5 years to develop into a decent starter is not someone most fans would sign off on going "all in" with from the start. It's not so much a knock on Manuel as it is an acknowledgement of an iffy situation with no apparent viable alternative.