We don't have so much a QB problem as an O-line problem.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're kidding right? That is exactly what people expect. Perfect accuracy, perfect execution the moment EJ stepped on the field. Old School just said that in this "age" QB's have to be born ready. How does that happen? I guess out of 100 QBs there is an Andrew Luck who is automatic. So all we have to do is draft a QB who already knows how to play at an NFL level with no prior experience. Easy peasy. No unreasonable expectations here.

So because Old School said that QBs need to be born ready (which I did not see by the way, but I'm taking your word for it), that means everyone expects him to be perfect? Come on man, you're better than that.

really? it's just the o-line. really? c'mon.

jw

Not...even...close.

OL wasn't good. EJ wasn't good.

It's hard to understand, because he didn't look like that in any of the first 3 games. He wasn't fantastic in those games, but he was composed, efficient, and moved the offense for the most part. This was just...yuck.

You can call it whatever you want. You said it yourself, when plays break down or the pressure gets close, he does not know how to handle it. That's not an EJ specific problem, but it's a QB problem. Some think he will learn to handle it with experience, which is fair.

The one thing I do know is that we will never take the pressure away. That is not even a shade of a solution. We can try to lessen it, we can use play action or screens to make them pay, but as we all have seen with Fitz, sooner or later a QB needs to deliver throws under pressure.

So yes, QB problem, not O-line problem.

So what you are saying is a good QB will solve any breakdown by any teammate? I think your zeal to disprove me is leading you into the realm of the absurd.

So because Old School said that QBs need to be born ready (which I did not see by the way, but I'm taking your word for it), that means everyone expects him to be perfect? Come on man, you're better than that.

Then what is the expectation? Seriously, I guess I need it explained to me. I'm reading posts blaming EJ for the throw to CJ where he fumbled. I look at the video and see an on-target throw and the receiver gets popped. People are telling me an apparently good throw was really a bad throw because of the end result of the play. So obviously I'm missing something.

So what you are saying is a good QB will solve any breakdown by any teammate? I think your zeal to disprove me is leading you into the realm of the absurd.

No. I didn't say that.

Put Peyton Manning on this team and we have a top 5 offensive line. It's a chicken and egg scenario. You think improved O-line will improve QBing, which it will. But improved QBing will improve the O-line much more.

Edited by FireChan

You're kidding right? That is exactly what people expect. Perfect accuracy, perfect execution the moment EJ stepped on the field. Old School just said that in this "age" QB's have to be born ready. How does that happen? I guess out of 100 QBs there is an Andrew Luck who is automatic. So all we have to do is draft a QB who already knows how to play at an NFL level with no prior experience. Easy peasy. No unreasonable expectations here.

How about tangible improvement? How about a TD vs a first string defense through four preseason games? Nobody expects a ProBowl QB, but he still looks lost on a lot of plays out there, despite what the OL is doing.

I wonder if they regret letting Fitzpatrick go. If nothing else and money aside, he was a better option than Kolb ...

I've been beating this drum since Buddy Nix's stupid comments in Oct/Nov 2012. They needed to keep Fitzpatrick. It makes sense that they tried to renegotiate, but when he didn't accept, they should have just sucked it up for at least one more season.

i'm not playing a game, i just question why there is need to deflect the blame, when it's becoming painfully clear that EJ's inconsistencies are his only consistency.

jw

I agree EJ is inconsistent, but I'm trying to breakdown why. What I and others saw were plays that broke down at the line of scrimmage which impacted a relatively inexperienced QB. When people say "EJ sucks" the implication that all is well but for EJ. That nothing that the other 10 players do matters because everything is ultimately EJ's responsibility. Chandler slips and falls? EJ's fault. CJ fumbles after a catch? EJ's fault. Unblocked rushers tipping passes? EJ's fault. John, you've covered the Bills long enough to know better. Are you telling us the rest of the offense played great Saturday?

I wonder if they regret letting Fitzpatrick go. If nothing else and money aside, he was a better option than Kolb ...

That's an interesting question. I don't blame them for asking Fitz to renegotiate, nor do I blame Fitz for not wanting to and I'm hesitant to offer 20/20 hindsight but the moment he said no, the race was on for a veteran QB to be the starter.

GO BILLS!!!

Then what is the expectation? Seriously, I guess I need it explained to me. I'm reading posts blaming EJ for the throw to CJ where he fumbled. I look at the video and see an on-target throw and the receiver gets popped. People are telling me an apparently good throw was really a bad throw because of the end result of the play. So obviously I'm missing something.

For me, the expectation is twofold: show competence, and show improvement. He showed neither IMO in Saturday's game (for the first time this preseason).

there are enough questions being raised inside 1 Bills Drive to render this topic absurd.

jw

Of course there are; with any unproven player this should be the case.

I agree EJ is inconsistent, but I'm trying to breakdown why. What I and others saw were plays that broke down at the line of scrimmage which impacted a relatively inexperienced QB. When people say "EJ sucks" the implication that all is well but for EJ. That nothing that the other 10 players do matters because everything is ultimately EJ's responsibility. Chandler slips and falls? EJ's fault. CJ fumbles after a catch? EJ's fault. Unblocked rushers tipping passes? EJ's fault. John, you've covered the Bills long enough to know better. Are you telling us the rest of the offense played great Saturday?

what i'm suggesting is however poorly the offense played in the first half on Saturday, there was a distinct lack of ownership for the troubles continuing to come from the supposed leader, whether it was post-game or in-game (when Fred Jackson huddled up the offense on the sideline to try to inspire them).

there seems to be no clear accountability coming from that position, and it's raising further questions in regards to whether EJ can ever develop into a starter.

jw

No. I didn't say that.

Put Peyton Manning on this team and we have a top 5 offensive line. It's a chicken and egg scenario. You think improved O-line will improve QBing, which it will. But improved QBing will improve the O-line much more.

DUH! No schitt, Sherlock. So you want EJ to step on the field and know what Peyton Manning knows?

You are correct, Sir!

He doesn't pass the eyeball test or the smell test. I don't see a quality NFL QB in Manuel no matter how hard I squint or hold my nose.

Isn't he supposed to bring something to the table? Why does every Bills QB have to be some massive re-construction project from the ground up? It's ridiculous how blind people are when they can't admit a mistake has been made. Why aren't the Bills looking for a veteran QB to school the newbie? The fact that the Bills have Tuel and Lewis as backups just shows how inept this organization really is! The new owner can't get here soon enough. The house needs a total cleaning.

This isn't meant for you exclusively as this particular form of criticism is endemic around here, but can you tell me what exactly is "the eyeball test" and the "smell test?" This is incoherent criticism, and vague as well.

That ball was not on target because Spiller had to catch the ball behind him which stopped his progress and turned him around for a direct hit. If the ball is leading Spiller, he is still running and probably runs by the LB.