We don't have so much a QB problem as an O-line problem.

That's not how I read that. I also find it odd that it is the RB who's gathering the offensive team together on the sideline and not the QB. I don't think it's about the rah rah cheerleading, but about making sure that the players know what he wants out of them on the field. Especially when there's been a wrong pattern run by WRs every single game, or as the OP excuses, the OL is making him look bad. To me he's approaching the game like a skill position player where he takes instruction, not the field general who gives out instructions.

Again watch the video. EJ does rally the troops and the FJ adds in. Fred is the veteran leader and a captain. He's adding to EJ's words, not subverting them.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds like an issue of communication on the field. The way it was stated was that he isn't taking verbal command during the game or saying the right things afterward. Not effectively communicating with teammates is one thing; chastising someone for not being outwardly vocal is another.

My point is simply this: if the issue being taken is that EJ should be the one trying to fire up his teammates, and not Freddie, well, that's a non-issue for me. If the criticism is that EJ won't communicate to his teammates what they need to do differently to do their jobs, that's another.

Actually it sounds like the issue is a refusal to take responsibility for what's going on, i.e., full accountability. I say "it sounds" because JW won't tell us what it is. As much as I hate to stick up for PTR, I think that's what he meant when he said "don't play that game" - it is a bit frustrating to have to guess...

Again watch the video. EJ does rally the troops and the FJ adds in. Fred is the veteran leader and a captain. He's adding to EJ's words, not subverting them.

As I understand it it was Fred who gathered the offense so he could address them and EJ followed up to add to the discussion.

Another great twist to an argument. Who has ever said that Fred is subverting EJ?

No wonder you think this team has done no wrong in a decade.

He turned to face EJ even before EJ threw the ball. The ball was right to him. He turned around and got popped. EJ's throw didn't mess up his "stutter step momentum" or whatever nonsense you are inventing. Obviously we can never discuss anything because even with video evidence in your face you create alternate realities.

Read what people write for a change. Of course CJ turned to face the QB, but he's still stutter stepping to the right, but the ball comes in to his far left which totally stops his momentum and sets him up for the pop.

Actually it sounds like the issue is a refusal to take responsibility for what's going on, i.e., full accountability. I say "it sounds" because JW won't tell us what it is. As much as I hate to stick up for PTR, I think that's what he meant when he said "don't play that game" - it is a bit frustrating to have to guess...

That's why I asked the question, because it's one thing to say he doesn't take accountability and then reference sideline huddles and post-game comments. It's another to say that inside the walls of 1BD that's what's happening.

It sounds like Wawrow is trying to say something without saying it, which protects him whether it's true (in which case the team wouldn't want that out there) or not (in which case he wouldn't want the player knowing he said it).

Also, PTR's "don't play that game" comment was made to a post other than (and prior to) Wawrow's "lack of ownership" post.

Yes, I saw the play and that's why I commented. CJ didn't stop first, his stutter step momentum is still to his right, but he had to stop to catch the pass on his left side and that's what made him reverse his field.

Oh give me a damn break...this goes back to what many of us have been saying for a while.....people on this board will fight to the death not to be wrong even in the fact of factual proof to the otherwise.....

There was NOTHING wrong with that pass....NOTHING. Spiller simply didnt secure it

Is it really so bad that EJ wants to actually "prove it" on the field with these veteran guys before he gets in their fact.......

He needs to lead with his play first......which is why he deferred to Freddie Jackson in the offensive huddle

Oh give me a damn break...this goes back to what many of us have been saying for a while.....people on this board will fight to the death not to be wrong even in the fact of factual proof to the otherwise.....

There was NOTHING wrong with that pass....NOTHING. Spiller simply didnt secure it

Is it really so bad that EJ wants to actually "prove it" on the field with these veteran guys before he gets in their fact.......

He needs to lead with his play first......which is why he deferred to Freddie Jackson in the offensive huddle

I've been very critical of EJ's play from Saturday's game, and I had no problem with the pass to Spiller.

Another great twist to an argument. Who has ever said that Fred is subverting EJ?

No wonder you think this team has done no wrong in a decade.

Read what people write for a change. Of course CJ turned to face the QB, but he's still stutter stepping to the right, but the ball comes in to his far left which totally stops his momentum and sets him up for the pop.

I just watched it again, it still looks like he ran to a spot stopped, caught the ball, turned to run and the DP poped the ball out. I Guess as this point people are seeing what they want to here. I saw that as another lousy play on a lousy day for the whole team. Edited by Mike in Horseheads

Fred’s message to team

“I was just telling everybody to calm down,” said Jackson. “We’ve got a lot of people that just weren’t on the same page. We’ve got turnovers, we’ve got penalties, things like that, it’s not going to allow you to win a lot of football games. Everybody just has to calm down, go out there and work and let things take care of themselves. Don’t do everybody else’s job, just do your job and we’ll get back in this thing.”

Absolutely John. I have aged with this board, and been on longer than this account shows, a new one. That said, I will never understand the pattern on this board to just relentlessly, illogically, and premeturely run players off this team. Picking on this play is a prime example. Pass was fine, just blaming EJ for everything so that people can get their wish and run him out of town. Eli Manning has to have the worst rookie stats of any Super Bowl QB. Not claiming EJ to be Eli, I am just saying, back off the ledge occassionally, put the pitchfork down, and blow the torch out every once in a while.

EDIT: GRAMMAR

Edited by Mango

Name a successful QB who deferred to his RB for offensive leadership? Even as rookies they're expected to take command. It's now his second training camp. He should be in full control of the huddle & the sideline, even if his play is struggling.

@SiriusXMNFL

Kelly: Not happy with any of the #Bills QB's would love to see @EJManuel3 step up, he needs to start playing better #kellytough #BillsMafia

I listened to that entire interview and that was the most critical thing he had to say about the Bills. Basically what I got from that interview is he admitted he doesn't speak his mind to the fullest extent regarding the Bills especially with the struggles with the QB position the past 14 years.

@SiriusXMNFL

Kelly: Not happy with any of the #Bills QB's would love to see @EJManuel3 step up, he needs to start playing better #kellytough #BillsMafia

I am going to get flamed for this and possibly well deserved.

I dislike Jim Kelly, his involvment in the franchise, and the constant convenient amnesia we have towards his general character. Different topic all together.

That said, thoughts and prayers to him and his family. Not ment to bash him. I think we just give him too much credit at times.

Rich Gannon ‏@RichGannon12 1m

Jim Kelly on current QB situation in Buffalo..."Honestly, right now I'm not really happy with any of them."

Also, per Joe B., EJ is going to play on Thursday night.

But yeah, it's 100% the o-line...

For the life of me, I can't see where Promo said anything at all like that. He has pointed out EJ's deficiencies. But it seems to me his point is the poor play of the OL vastly increases those deficiencies. Cure that, and EJ's play improves. FWIW, I think the Oline for the beginning of the regular season will be the same as last year, with Williams the sole new guy. That will create some stability while Henderson, et al, gain time to improve.