Super Bowl half time acts have to pay the NFL to play

17 Josh Allen

Can you believe the the gull of this bunch

Of billionaire money grabbers.

How can this NFL be a non for profit orginaztion.

I'm talking about the league offices.

Not only do they want bands that want to preform

At the superbowl half time show to pay the NFL to appear on the halftime show. They also want

To grab some of the bands or performers post

Super Bowl performance proceeds from there post tour revenue. It's time for congress to reign this group in

Just think about it, they black out games in stadiums paid by tax payers, then they pay the commissioner 44 million dollars a year.

Link to the article

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/nfl-to-coldplay-pay-to-play-the-super-bowl-1408465018?mobile=y

Some info from the article

The National Football League doesn't usually pay the act that performs at halftime during the Super Bowl. But in a twist this year, the league has asked artists under consideration for the high-profile gig to pay to play, according to people familiar with the matter.

The NFL has narrowed down the list of potential performers for the 2015 Super Bowl to three candidates: Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Coldplay, these people said. While notifying the artists' camps of their candidacy, league representatives also asked at least some of the acts if they would be willing to contribute a portion of their post-Super Bowl tour income to the league, or if they would make some other type of financial contribution, in exchange for the halftime gig.

Edited by billsareback

Can you believe the the gull of this bunch

Of these billionaire money grabbers.

How can this NFL be a non for profit orginaztion.

I'm talking about the league offices.

Not only do they want bands that want to preform

At the superbowl half time show to pay the NFL to appear on the halftime show. They also want

To grab some of the bands or performers post

Super Bowl performance proceeds from there post tour revenue. It's time for congress to reign this group in

Just think about it, they black out games in stadiums paid by tax payers, then they pay the commissioner 44 million dollars a year.

Link to the article

http://m.us.wsj.com/...465018?mobile=y

Some info from the article

The National Football League doesn't usually pay the act that performs at halftime during the Super Bowl. But in a twist this year, the league has asked artists under consideration for the high-profile gig to pay to play, according to people familiar with the matter.

The NFL has narrowed down the list of potential performers for the 2015 Super Bowl to three candidates: Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Coldplay, these people said. While notifying the artists' camps of their candidacy, league representatives also asked at least some of the acts if they would be willing to contribute a portion of their post-Super Bowl tour income to the league, or if they would make some other type of financial contribution, in exchange for the halftime gig.

Your writing is terrible, it makes my head hurt

please take a class so you don't continue to look like an @ss

then maybe people will take your posts seriously

I'm not sure what your obsession with the enter key is,

but this isn't funny, it's now just sad.

Please refrain from posting

until you learn how to use proper english and proper use of the enter key

The issue is until this year bands or performers

Did not have to pay to play. They just donated

There time and band to play. Now not only does the nfl want them to pay to play but they want

Money from there tour dates after they preform

At the halftime show. You don't see a problem with that.

Edited by billsareback

How much is the Super Bowl halftime show worth to performers? Last year, Bruno Mars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers were onstage for about 12 minute. With commercial time valued at $4 million per 30-second slot, that's nearly $100 million worth of publicity for a band.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-wants-super-bowl-halftime-acts-to-pony-up-cash-for-the-privilege-of--exposure-180802404.html

Your writing is terrible, it makes my head hurt

please take a class so you don't continue to look like an @ss

then maybe people will take your posts seriously

I'm not sure what your obsession with the enter key is,

but this isn't funny, it's now just sad.

Please refrain from posting

until you learn how to use proper english and proper use of the enter key

it takes a lot of gull to criticize a post like this. the deliberate stream of consciousness style is extremely successful, and grants the reader tremendous insight into the writer's interior world. james joyce would adorn this post several face-with-tears-of-joy emoji.

Excuse me the NFL is getting the money

From the Commercials. The performers

Keep more eyes in the TV. In my opinion

This is just plain wrong. To ask for money

From the bands post half time appearance

tour dates is wrong.

They are the NFL, they can do

Whatever they want. If the performers

Don't like it they can play at a different

Venue

Oh boy, time for another ignorance-based 'NFL doesn't pay taxes and Roger Goodell makes sooo much money!!!111' rant! Awesome.

it takes a lot of gull to criticize a post like this.

It sure does. Hundreds of them. Enough to cover the whole beach.

Edited by KD in CT

While you all were picking nits with the OP I read the article and the quote above tells me all I need to know and wish I didn't.

I didn't need to read the article to know I'll be doing the same thing I do every year at halftime: take a leak, talk to people, get another bowl of chili, serve the wings, get another beer, etc., etc.

It's the NFL ... the NFL is driven primarily by greed ... so yeah this makes sense.

The surprising thing is they didn't do this years ago. What this will probably mean is the end of the recent geriatric bands performing, and seeing newer "up & coming" bands/performers where the cost-benefit analysis of performing to a huge audience makes sense.

All in all I don't have a problem with it. Simply free enterprise. And it might actually make it worth watching ... you know while you are taking a leak or getting chili or beer ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

if the act playing the halftime show is some popular young upstart-type act, then it may well be in their best interest to pay the NFL for the opportunity to perform. on the other hand, when the Rolling Stones played a few years ago, they probably caused a lot of people to tune-in that might otherwise have not bothered, increasing the value of the commercial time for the network.

none of the halftime shows ever have anyone performing that I like, anyway.

I agree with the OP. This is a little ridiculous. I thought pay for play was only a thing they did in LA for young wanna be rock stars. The NFL can do whatever they want obviously, but the overall greed and price gouging of this organization is steadily rising. I hope Mark Cuban is right. The NFL is acting more and more like the monopoly they are.

The issue is until this year bands or performers

Did not have to pay to play. They just donated

There time and band to play. Now not only does the nfl want them to pay to play but they want

Money from there tour dates after they preform

At the halftime show. You don't see a problem with that.

i do not see any problem with the record label buying rights to the halftime show. i also do not care if they pay an upfront fee, or negotiate a cut of the sales on the following tour depending on what they would prefer to do.

this is a 15 minute commercial that the record label is producing to promote their upcoming tours. not a concert.

Edited by NoSaint

+1 on never reading these posts again due to the lack of understanding of proper English. Not sure what you do for a living but it can't be working and communicating with others because you're atrocious at it.

As for the NFL.... Cuban was right. They keep wielding the shield like dictatorial bullies and eventually their drive for unending growth will be met with collective backlash by sponsors and fans. I for one can't watch NFL football on TV anymore and it's getting worse... constant ads, commercials, more graphics on the field, etc. EPL is so much more TV friendly as it's less time consuming and the lack of commercials. It is actually about the game not the business.

God I hope not Rihana. She's dreadful and the music unlistenable until it buries in your brain and you can't get it out. Katy has fun songs but is a little whacky. I have a feeling itll be cold play and they are supposed to put on a good show.

Also. Isn't the NFL a non prof? How does this work?

I have said for years Congress needs to yank their anti trust exemption. They are definitely for profit

the teams are the for profit. The league is not. Its quirky but its how the tax bill reads.

Excuse me the NFL is getting the money

From the Commercials. The performers

Keep more eyes in the TV. In my opinion

This is just plain wrong. To ask for money

From the bands post half time appearance

tour dates is wrong.

In what way could it possibly be wrong? There is a large perceived profit value for the performers so why shouldn't they pay for the oportunity to make extra money?

Your other initial points regarding the NFL are likely right(in that they have special rules/laws that aply to them which is arguably unfair).....but that shouldn't influence the logic that a Madonna would make an extra $$$$$ because of performing in the SB so therefore charging her $$ to do it is simple commerce.

And to all those picking on the grammar etc of the OP.......the word is "English", not "english". Throwing the first stone and all...

As a musician this disgusts me. Its getting more and more likely to be this way in the local scene too. These are musicians. This is their career. Pay the mto do what they do as they are providing entertainment value for you. What other line of work would you not get paid to do your job. Hey Jim, go balance our books. We aren't going to pay you but we'll be sure to tell all the other firms what a great job you did. That's called an internship. These are not interns.

Also, I'm not a Coldplay fan but I appreciate their music. Would that not be the most depressing half time show ever though?

As a musician this disgusts me. Its getting more and more likely to be this way in the local scene too. These are musicians. This is their career. Pay the mto do what they do as they are providing entertainment value for you. What other line of work would you not get paid to do your job. Hey Jim, go balance our books. We aren't going to pay you but we'll be sure to tell all the other firms what a great job you did. That's called an internship. These are not interns.

Also, I'm not a Coldplay fan but I appreciate their music. Would that not be the most depressing half time show ever though?

While I generally agree on a small scale, on the large scale Super Bowl halftime show it's a whole different beast. The nfl is essentially selling commercial space promoting a tour here. Bruno Mars tickets went on sale the next morning and sold our within seconds. Literally seconds at most arenas.

I have said for years Congress needs to yank their anti trust exemption. They are definitely for profit

And when distributed to the owners it becomes income and taxed. The nfl central offices don't make money - the teams do.

Edited by NoSaint

Cheese and rice...... All the English professors on TBD get annoying. I could read it. No problem. Was it good for a term paper, military memo, legal finding or physics dissertation? No. If it really bothers you that much, don't read it. If you can't read it, you may want reasses you're own intelligence.

Or you like the view from you're pedestal so much, it doesn't matter that you're BLOGGING with people of various backgrounds and education levels.

Some people can't help but be Richards.

Edited by JaxBills

it takes a lot of gull to criticize a post like this. the deliberate stream of consciousness style is extremely successful, and grants the reader tremendous insight into the writer's interior world. james joyce would adorn this post several face-with-tears-of-joy emoji.

Word Crimes

While I generally agree on a small scale, on the large scale Super Bowl halftime show it's a whole different beast. The nfl is essentially selling commercial space promoting a tour here. Bruno Mars tickets went on sale the next morning and sold our within seconds. Literally seconds at most arenas.

And when distributed to the owners it becomes income and taxed. The nfl central offices don't make money - the teams do.

But the band isnt asking to advertise themselves. Sure it is part of why they do it, but the NFL is asking them to entertain a crowd at half time. If they come out and totally stink it up, they won't be selling anything the next day. They should be rewarded for the talent to not come out and stink it up.

Cheese and rice...... All the English professors on TBD get annoying. I could read it. No problem. Was it good for a term paper, military memo, legal finding or physics dissertation? No. If it really bothers you that much, don't read it. If you can't read it, you may want reasses you're own intelligence.

Or you like the view from you're pedestal so much, it doesn't matter that you're BLOGGING with people of various backgrounds and education levels.

> If you can't read it, you may want reasses you're own intelligence.

Um. Thank you for that.

The OP makes good points. However, his frequent, unnecessary use of the return key gets in the way of his intended message.

Zonabb wrote:

> As for the NFL.... Cuban was right. They keep wielding the shield like dictatorial bullies and eventually their drive for unending growth will be met with collective backlash by sponsors and fans. I for one can't watch NFL football on TV anymore and it's getting worse

You are 100% correct. I myself watch a lot less football than I used to. Porter's Five Forces help explain why the NFL has gone the direction it has.

• Bargaining power of suppliers
  • Bargaining power of customers
  • Threat of substitutes
  • Threat of new entrants
  • Intensity of industry rivalry

The NFL's main supplier is its players. They are represented by one labor union (very united front), which is why most of the league's revenues go to them. On the other hand, the NFL's customers--us--have virtually no bargaining power. There are no close substitutes for NFL football, no real threat of new entrants, and very little industry rivalry. This is why the NFL's customers are being treated as we are.

But the band isnt asking to advertise themselves. Sure it is part of why they do it, but the NFL is asking them to entertain a crowd at half time. If they come out and totally stink it up, they won't be selling anything the next day. They should be rewarded for the talent to not come out and stink it up.

Do you think the NFL should pay their SB entertainers the same amounts of money as if they were playing a private gig?

Do you think the NFL should pay their SB entertainers the same amounts of money as if they were playing a private gig?

I'm not saying they should even get paid per se. Its my understanding that they always did it for free. I just see no logical reasoning to ask the band to pay for their services. There is legitimately no other job that you would ask this. Should the players pay because they are in the Super Bowl and have free advertising that they will use to immediately add endorsement deals the next day?

(Obviously that last part is tongue in cheek and I realize it is not a direct correlation but figure I should put this on there before someone goes off)

Edited by FutureBillsGM

Thanks for your support. The PC police

And English police are getting more bold

by the day on this site. If you don't like

The way my posts look then please don't

Read them. Your request for me to change

My style will have no effect. I will keep posting

The way I want to. So your really just

Wasting your time.

My posts are done on a iphone. So the box to

Type into is small. Maybe that's why

I use the return key a lot. So please

Just enjoy the site and good banter between

Fellow fans. Life is too short.

The OP makes good points. However, his frequent, unnecessary use of the return key gets in the way of his intended message.

Are you telling me you can't read down to the next line as I write

What I have to say. So if a guy posts a 1000 word message and it

Has 100 lines you won't be able to read it or move down to

The next line to continue reading.

I don't get your thought process on this.

Edited by billsareback

It is sad to see that so many posters on TBD have to be grammar police. We all can not be perfect writers. The original poster had a valid opinion and brought information to the board I was not aware of. You may disagree with the poster or not like what he says. But he was not nasty or derogatory of others. He has a right to express his opinions in a civil manner. It is so frustrating to me that people choose to personally attack the poster, rather than politely and civilly state their opposing opinion on legitimate issues that other posters may choose to discuss.

I have been part of the group for over a decade and enjoy this site

Very much, but lately the English Police and grammar police and

How to type or format a post police have been out in full force.

Look I'm not perfect. I type these posts on a iphone. Sometimes

The auto correct screws my post up. I am a hard core fan.

I've had season ticket's 1989 thru 1996. So I would ask the mods

To warn other posters. That grammar and format of a post should not

Be called out in the open to demean posters. If your doing this it

Should be against the rules. It's just wasting time and space on the server

And getting away from the conversation were trying to have about the

Topic I started. That's my opinion about it.

See now were talking about other stuff instead of why halftime artists

Have to pay to play and give up some or there tour money.

Edited by billsareback