Why Worst QB Depth Chart When Terrelle Pryor was Available?

Through two games, Terrelle Pryor has thrown 20 passes for 147 yards (7.35 per attempt) and run 3 times for 87 yards and a touchdown.

By comparison, EJ Manuel has thrown 47 passes for 263 yards (5.6 yards per attempt) and only added 8 yards rushing.

Maybe Manuel is the better prospect, but the difference is not as great as many on this board might suspect. EJ's unwillingness to run makes him one-dimensional. And that dimension is not good. Conversely, Pryor has a big arm and a nice throwing motion to develop with enough athleticism to win games as a back-up in the mean time.

Leaving that more provocative discussion aside, why did Russ Brandon and Doug Whaley decide to enter 2014 with the worst QB depth chart in the NFL? Was it to boost EJ's confidence? Incompetence? Over estimation of Tuel and Lewis? Pryor is an athletic freak who was available as an unrestricted free agent at the league minimum.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda like Pryor too, but I don't think his prescence would really help our QB situation all that much. He is a great athlete, but a project as a QB... he wouldn't make the Bills markedly better in 2014 if he was in our QB rotation.

I don't understand why we have this QB mess either, when Peyton was available! We totally should have traded Spiller to the Colts for Luck too. Then, we'd be set at QB for the next 15yrs!! I just don't get this FO.

Lots of posters seem to miss the larger point:

Whether you prefer EJ or Terrelle as a prospect, our depth behind EJ is horrible and we could have fixed that by bringing in a dynamic athlete at little to no cost.

Ironically, for all of those posters ridiculing Pryor, one reason they may have decided against bringing him in is because it may have eroded EJ's confidence by causing him to look over his shoulder at the superior athlete and college QB.

Lots of posters seem to miss the larger point:

Whether you prefer EJ or Terrelle as a prospect, our depth behind EJ is horrible and we could have fixed that by bringing in a dynamic athlete at little to no cost.

Ironically, for all of those posters ridiculing Pryor, one reason they may have decided against bringing him in is because it may have eroded EJ's confidence by causing him to look over his shoulder at the superior athlete and college QB.

he was in no way shape or form a superior college QB. IMO. I watched his every snap.

Not true Gabe, Seattle traded a 7th rounder for him. Maybe we would have been interested if he did actually hit the FA market. At least get your facts straight before starting yet another thread on how bad our QB situation is.

Edited by 3 --> 10 Connection