The Unpopular Opinion. RB - Fred Jackson

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like spiller and Brown in rotation. Freddy for third down blitz pick up passing downs, and Boobie for short yardage.

For whatever reason it seems CJ gets brought down to the ground very easy. It seems like he never sheds tacklers or breaks tackles. IDK, just frustrating.

who cares if it's 15 yards down field.

I think that Fred is still extremely effective on the field but what I DONT want to see him doing is running towards the sideline on runs.......is it just me or does he appear REALLY slow when he isnt going north/south?

That one of the things I am really excited about Bryce Brown.....not only is he a huge back to bust it u between the OT's but somebody hits the "turbo boost" button when he is running east west getting to the sideline and turning the corner

I really like Bryce Browns potential...he appears to do everything well

I cant tell you how many times I heard the phrase "If only Freddy were a little faster"

Like you mentioned Brown seems to have a bit of everything.

Care to elaborate?

Why don't you attempt to back up your "Unpopular Opinion?" I'm surprised, I surely thought anyone with a "Fred should be our 4th string RB because 40 time and Father TIme," opinion would be able to have a discussion about it.

Edited by FireChan

Why don't you attempt to back up your "Unpopular Opinion?" I'm surprised, I surely thought anyone with a "Fred should be our 4th string RB because 40 time and Father TIme," opinion would be able to have a discussion about it.

I thought I did but ok... And As you stated my Opinion is that CJ and Brown are better suited to be a 1-2 punch for this team. Freddy does not have the speed to run sideways, off tackles. pitches etc. so guard against up the gut when FJ is in the game. Yes he has great BCV, and instincts but speed kills. CJ and Brown have that speed. 40 time or not Fred is going to slow down even more than he is, it is just going to happen. My opinion. Once he loses that additional step he is going to be much easier to tackle. Fred will play through an injury but his effectiveness is going to decrease.

A backfield of Brown and Spiller with Watkins, Goodwin and Williams split is a whole hell of a lot of speed to handle. There is going to be a mismatch somewhere.

I say Freddie should still start early in the season. C.J is gonna get like 10-12 carries a game. Freddie is gonna get his share early.

But I think the Bills are gonna save Brown for later in the season. He is gonna be very fresh say around the 10th game.

Freddie has been getting hurt more often than not. It was amazing that he got that many yds and TD's last year.

I think getting Brown was insurance just in case Fred OR CJ gets hurt and has to sit out a long length of time. This way they can shut whoever gets hurt down and let them heal proper before putting them back out there which was not the case last year.

I thought I did but ok... And As you stated my Opinion is that CJ and Brown are better suited to be a 1-2 punch for this team. Freddy does not have the speed to run sideways, off tackles. pitches etc. so guard against up the gut when FJ is in the game. Yes he has great BCV, and instincts but speed kills. CJ and Brown have that speed. 40 time or not Fred is going to slow down even more than he is, it is just going to happen. My opinion. Once he loses that additional step he is going to be much easier to tackle. Fred will play through an injury but his effectiveness is going to decrease.

A backfield of Brown and Spiller with Watkins, Goodwin and Williams split is a whole hell of a lot of speed to handle. There is going to be a mismatch somewhere.

Why is "homerun threat" so important to you? Is 5-6 or 10-12 yards not enough or not important? Why Bryce over Dixon? Do defenses not worry about gutting out 5 yards?

Why do you believe Dixon's "strength is unstoppable?" Is it his 458 yards and 8 touchdowns over 4 years? Was he playing behind arguably a better O-line in SF?

What makes you think this is the year that Freddy slows down? Why not last year? I mean, the guy had one of his best years last year, playing through injury.

Why is speed so important to you? Freddy is probably the best blocker as an RB on the roster. Do you think using "speed" to create a mismatch "somewhere" is more important than blocking?

Why is football IQ not important to you? Freddy is a savvy veteran who always knows the situation and hardly ever makes stupid mistakes. Bryce Brown is young, and Spiller has shown a veritable gap in his football IQ.

If Fred doesn't set the world on fire early in the season that's ok. The small contract he was surprisingly given, I believe, is a reward for time served. It says clearly the Bills want Fred to remain with the organization after he hang's 'em up.

A fresh late season Fred would be a nice change over a warn rehabbing Fred.

Why is "homerun threat" so important to you? Is 5-6 or 10-12 yards not enough or not important? Why Bryce over Dixon? Do defenses not worry about gutting out 5 yards?

Why do you believe Dixon's "strength is unstoppable?" Is it his 458 yards and 8 touchdowns over 4 years? Was he playing behind arguably a better O-line in SF?

What makes you think this is the year that Freddy slows down? Why not last year? I mean, the guy had one of his best years last year, playing through injury.

Why is speed so important to you? Freddy is probably the best blocker as an RB on the roster. Do you think using "speed" to create a mismatch "somewhere" is more important than blocking?

Why is football IQ not important to you? Freddy is a savvy veteran who always knows the situation and hardly ever makes stupid mistakes. Bryce Brown is young, and Spiller has shown a veritable gap in his football IQ.

just say you don't agree with his opinion. It's an opinion. Opinions don't need to backed by anything. That's why their opinions.

On 2nd and 9, I'd like to see CJ or Brown. On 3rd and 9, Freddy all day.

just say you don't agree with his opinion. It's an opinion. Opinions don't need to backed by anything. That's why their opinions.

On 2nd and 9, I'd like to see CJ or Brown. On 3rd and 9, Freddy all day.

That's your opinion on opinions. In my opinion, unless you base an opinion on something, it's just as useful as saying the sky is green.

And while I appreciate your attempt to compromise, the OP made a thread called "Unpopular Opinions" and insinuated that he knew he would be disagreed with by the masses. I want to know his reasons and see if they are well thought out. If they are not, I will point that out.

Edited by FireChan

That's your opinion on opinions. In my opinion, unless you base an opinion on something, it's just as useful as saying the sky is green.

Depending on time of year and day, atmospheric conditions, and location, the sky can appear to be green.

GO BILLS!!!

Homerun threat is important for this. If a guys breaks into open field as does not have that breakaway speed he will get caught which again I repeat I cannot say how many times i heard "If only Fred were a little faster". The offense then runs 3 more plays and has to punt. The homerun threat guy breaks that gain into a touchdown. The outcome of a game can change on one play. Do you see the point I am getting at?

Regardless of Fred,CJ, Bryce. As you age you slow down. your body does not heal as fast. Not too mention the punishment these guys take. it takes a tole on the body. Playing through injury becomes harder because you become less effective. If it happens to the best backs why not to Fred?

Speed is not just important to me, its important in the NFL. One thing that cannot be beat is speed. It may be cliche but Speed kills. You cant tackle what you cant catch.

Football IQ is very important, but so is ability and effectiveness. Fred may have the highest football IQ, but if physically cannot do what is required, that IQ is no good and is only a teaching tool. Perfect example of this is Ryan Fitzpatrick. High IQ, mediocre talent.

Let me state this is not a negative thread towards Freddy, more as a positive that the Bills have fantastic RB depth.

So not only do u not want to put the best backs out, you also dont want the best WR on the field. It's apparent you value speed more. Woods is a far better player then Goodwin (I really like goodwin). So we now disagree about 2 things!

So not only do u not want to put the best backs out, you also dont want the best WR on the field. It's apparent you value speed more. Woods is a far better player then Goodwin (I really like goodwin). So we now disagree about 2 things!

I never once said that, so please do not think that. Woods may be better, but in a situation like that the player covered by a slower DB/LB should be able to get separation, causing a mismatch. Or the smaller DB will go up against Williams creating a height advantage.

That is not a knock on Woods at all. THE WR on this team are set up to be interchangeable in packages.

Talent wise I would say Brown and Spiller are the "Best"

Of course production wise FJ has outperformed Brown. and is "better"

Edited by CountDorkula

Homerun threat is important for this. If a guys breaks into open field as does not have that breakaway speed he will get caught which again I repeat I cannot say how many times i heard "If only Fred were a little faster". The offense then runs 3 more plays and has to punt. The homerun threat guy breaks that gain into a touchdown. The outcome of a game can change on one play. Do you see the point I am getting at?

Regardless of Fred,CJ, Bryce. As you age you slow down. your body does not heal as fast. Not too mention the punishment these guys take. it takes a tole on the body. Playing through injury becomes harder because you become less effective. If it happens to the best backs why not to Fred?

Speed is not just important to me, its important in the NFL. One thing that cannot be beat is speed. It may be cliche but Speed kills. You cant tackle what you cant catch.

Football IQ is very important, but so is ability and effectiveness. Fred may have the highest football IQ, but if physically cannot do what is required, that IQ is no good and is only a teaching tool. Perfect example of this is Ryan Fitzpatrick. High IQ, mediocre talent.

Let me state this is not a negative thread towards Freddy, more as a positive that the Bills have fantastic RB depth.

I saw it from a mile away, that's why I made sure. You believe our best homerun threat RB's are Spiller and Brown, who combined for 4 TD's last year. That's an odd belief. For such homerun threats, you think they'd score more. I mean, even CJ in his best year, only had 8 total TD's. That's STILL less than Fred's 2013 number. Yet you think he's over the barrel? It boggles my mind.

Fred has not shown being incapable of doing anything physically yet. I don't know why you think he has.

You are dazzled by speed, and I understand that. Now I can see why Dixon is 3 and Brown is 2.

Edited by FireChan

I never once said that, so please do not think that. Woods may be better, but in a situation like that the player covered by a slower DB/LB should be able to get separation, causing a mismatch. Or the smaller DB will go up against Williams creating a height advantage.

That is not a knock on Woods at all. THE WR on this team are set up to be interchangeable in packages.

Talent wise I would say Brown and Spiller are the "Best"

Of course production wise FJ has outperformed Brown. and is "better"

U did say it i highlighted it. You are speaking all on hypothetical is garbage. You put ur best players out to play the game. So far Freddy is the best all around RB we have n his stats last year prove that. Woods is better than Goodwin. These are facts. Have fun playing ur stoopid game which can change to suit ur arguments....

U did say it i highlighted it. You are speaking all on hypothetical is garbage. You put ur best players out to play the game. So far Freddy is the best all around RB we have n his stats last year prove that. Woods is better than Goodwin. These are facts. Have fun playing ur stoopid game which can change to suit ur arguments....

I

f you can find where I said "Goodwin is better than Woods" please show me. i said on the field at that time.

How is speaking on "hypothetical" garbage. when it was proven last year that Goodwin can run right by people for a touchdown? It happened on several occasions. Is it not possible that Goodwin, Willaims and Watkins are on the field and Woods is not? But continue to call me stoopid, it looks really good on ya. Cheers.

Edited by CountDorkula

What's telling for me is that the coaching staff chose to have Jackson run the ball in critical situations and not Spiller. Whether they needed a first down, near the goal line, pass protection on 3rd down, etc...

Spiller is an awful blocker, which severely hinders his playing time and trustworthiness.

His vision leaves a lot to be desired as well. He just doesn't see the holes and cutback lanes the way Jackson does.

Jackson is still the most reliable player on the Bills offense. I don't see that changing this year just because he's 365 days older.

And while I appreciate your attempt to compromise, the OP made a thread called "Unpopular Opinions" and insinuated that he knew he would be disagreed with by the masses. I want to know his reasons and see if they are well thought out. If they are not, I will point that out.

lol, didn't understand my joke.....

I

f you can find where I said "Goodwin is better than Woods" please show me. i said on the field at that time.

How is speaking on "hypothetical" garbage. when it was proven last year that Goodwin can run right by people for a touchdown? It happened on several occasions. Is it not possible that Goodwin, Willaims and Watkins are on the field and Woods is not? But continue to call me stoopid, it looks really good on ya. Cheers.

3 maybe 4x's! Also u apparently like 1 trick ponies at WR instead of Woods who seems to do it all very well. Just like Fred does everything well. U would rather go with unproven guys with speed. It's nice it just doesnt work. U did say starters this year as in Fred shouldnt start, then went on to say he should b 4th string. U then gave an example of a line up with brown n CJ as starters with what i presumed was ur starting WR's (seeing we are talking about starters). Which i commented on. Easy girly! N cheers! Edited by snamsnoops

This may not sit well with some/most but I am completely ok with that.

I am in the belief that Fred Jackson should be moved down the depth chart. Possibly all the way down.

CJ Spiller is undoubtedly this teams first string running back, IMO. Last year was a down year (Allegedly) (1st in NFL in 40+ yd runs) (2nd in NFL in 20+ yd runs)

The backup role should go to Bryce Brown. He has the speed that Fred lacks and can also be considered a home run threat. He has been clocked sub 4.4 in the 40 yd dash.

Speed cannot be taught in the NFL and with Freds age, that is going to be the first thing to go, and has also never been Freds Strong suit.

Third string is where some will question me and (Most likely) call me an idiot. Boobie Dixon should be the short yardage back. His size and strength can be unstoppable at times. Lining Dixon and Summers in the backfield in goal line/short yardage situations is 500Lbs of downhill force. I firmly believe that if Dixon is in the game during those 4 rushing attempts he gets in the end zone. and the Bills first string offense walks away with a touchdown.

With all that said Jackson is without question, a leader in the locker room on this team. And with that said I will take talent over leadership on the field.

Freds age will catch up with him, and sooner rather than later.

My Rb depth chart currently looks as follows:

1- Spiller

2 - Brown

3 - Dixon

4 - Jackson

Puts on hard hat and pads and waits for attack. :beer:

I can't resist, but who's supposed to carry the ball on 3rd-downs?

Did you even consider that?

Last season Spiller was 4 carries for 1 yard and not 1st-downs on 3rds. In 2012, his big year, he was 11 carries for 33 yards and 2 1st-downs and 1 TD (short). 3 for 15 conversion, well below average.

Those rates are abysmal. The team doesn't use him on 3rds because they can't afford to.

Brown was 11 for 16 yards in 2011, two 1st-downs.

Brown was 12 carries for 18 yards last season, one 1st-down. 3 for 23 conversion. Abysmal. Not even 2 ypc.

Dixon, 6 carries for -4 yards last season on 3rds.

3 maybe 4x's! Also u apparently like 1 trick ponies at WR instead of Woods who seems to do it all very well. Just like Fred does everything well. U would rather go with unproven guys with speed. It's nice it just doesnt work. U did say starters this year as in Fred shouldnt start, then went on to say he should b 4th string. U then gave an example of a line up with brown n CJ as starters with what i presumed was ur starting WR's (seeing we are talking about starters). Which i commented on. Easy girly! N cheers!

Again you are putting words in my mouth. Let me try and spell this out for you.

Spiller and Brown are split on each side of EJ out of the shotgun formation. Goodwin and Williams are on the sides. Both run a go route. Now the Safeties have to drop back because if they don't you will have one on one coverage which favors Goodwins speed and Williams size. Watkins can run a 15-20 yard in over the middle which should presumably be in open space because both safetys had to drop back to cover the go routes.

If the defense drops everyone into coverage Manuel can flip the ball to CJ or Brown Whomever is on the weakside. Those 2 should be able to out run any of the lineman/LB's.

In this situation Goodwin is better suited for that route than Woods. Which is not even the topic.

It spreads the defense out allowing more room for the playmakers.

Spiller and Brown are split on each side of EJ out of the shotgun formation. Goodwin and Williams are on the sides. Both run a go route. Now the Safeties have to drop back because if they don't you will have one on one coverage which favors Goodwins speed and Williams size. Watkins can run a 15-20 yard in over the middle which should presumably be in open space because both safetys had to drop back to cover the go routes.

If the defense drops everyone into coverage Manuel can flip the ball to CJ or Brown Whomever is on the weakside. Those 2 should be able to out run any of the lineman/LB's.

In this situation Goodwin is better suited for that route than Woods. Which is not even the topic.

I am not reading this..... Too bust laughing. Easy gunner! U like speed guys over starters no reason to try n explain this

It's also hard when you are blind to the holes. Which CJ was.

I honestly dont think CJ is blind to the holes....I think its more of his production slows down significantly when tackle attempts are made that slow him down.......

Now..this is true for ANY running back....but some RB's have the ability to break tackles and keep going.....

Finding ways to get CJ is space are going to be vital to his success

Madden GM confirmed.

I honestly dont think CJ is blind to the holes....I think its more of his production slows down significantly when tackle attempts are made that slow him down.......

Now..this is true for ANY running back....but some RB's have the ability to break tackles and keep going.....

Finding ways to get CJ is space are going to be vital to his success

All-22 shows CJ missing holes constantly. Instead of going through, he tries to bounce it outside and go for big yards. Basically, he refuses to take 3-4 tough yards and tries for 15 which usually results in 0. Sometimes it results in 40. Hence his lack of first downs.

Edited by FireChan

I am in the belief that Fred Jackson should be moved down the depth chart. Possibly all the way down.

CJ Spiller is undoubtedly this teams first string running back, IMO. Last year was a down year (Allegedly) (1st in NFL in 40+ yd runs) (2nd in NFL in 20+ yd runs)

The backup role should go to Bryce Brown. He has the speed that Fred lacks and can also be considered a home run threat. He has been clocked sub 4.4 in the 40 yd dash.

Speed cannot be taught in the NFL and with Freds age, that is going to be the first thing to go, and has also never been Freds Strong suit.

Third string is where some will question me and (Most likely) call me an idiot. Boobie Dixon should be the short yardage back. His size and strength can be unstoppable at times. Lining Dixon and Summers in the backfield in goal line/short yardage situations is 500Lbs of downhill force. I firmly believe that if Dixon is in the game during those 4 rushing attempts he gets in the end zone. and the Bills first string offense walks away with a touchdown.

With all that said Jackson is without question, a leader in the locker room on this team. And with that said I will take talent over leadership on the field.

1- Spiller

2 - Brown

3 - Dixon

4 - Jackson

Here is the elephant in the room: the offensive line is a jumbled mess!!! Let's put it this way- top contending teams almost always have an established and settled O line. The Bills line needs work. Until the offensive line gets tight and efficient, it won't matter too much what the RB depth chart looks like.

P.S. You could probably make the case that Brown could start.

The point I disagree with in terms of 1 2 punch for this team. Hackett doesn't seem to know how to run sweeps, screens, or outside the tackles very well. In a team that did, Spiller would be a feature. For whatever reason, the roster or Hackett cannot execute these well. Therefor Spiller does not work.

There is a lot of mention of using Spiller like Reggie Bush. The guy has been bouncing around the league the past few years, and nobody seems to be missing him all that much.

Just an idea, don't hurt me too bad guys, but what about a set where we have Boobie and Fred and spiller out wide in an attempt to get him in space via the WR position.

1- Spiller

2 - Brown

3 - Dixon

4 - Jackson

I saw your logo and almost stopped reading. Official logo of the cowboys? The team that owned us in 2 Super Bowls and have more Super Bowl victories than we have appearances. The logo makes no sense on a buffalo bills message board.

Regarding you post.....wait til the season starts and watch him play then. If he doesn't get the job done, move him down. I wouldn't do it now. No way, no how

The unknown is always more intriguing than the known. Jackson and Spiller should be 1 and 1A. Dixon and Brown I'm sure will get carries. I don't think either are nearly as good as Spiller or Jackson.

Running backs seem to lose it quickly so maybe by the end of the season Jackson is on the bottom of the depth chart. As for now, no.

All-22 shows CJ missing holes constantly. Instead of going through, he tries to bounce it outside and go for big yards. Basically, he refuses to take 3-4 tough yards and tries for 15 which usually results in 0. Sometimes it results in 40. Hence his lack of first downs.

CJ might have all the athletic talent in the world but he is "contact shy". He also misses some "tractor trailer" sized holes because he doesn't run intuitively. When he was drafted I had visions of Gale Sayers in my head but he's not even a poor man's Percy Harvin.

Jackson could very easily be Kevin Faulk and be very effective in a whole bunch of different situations. I don't think he can be counted on to be a workhorse anymore but he could be the guy who is the key to the entire offense because he can get key first downs and be a consistent blocker on third downs that none of the others can be.

This is inaccurate. CJ leads the league in 20+ and 40+ yard carries over the last 2 years. I could see if every time he ran up the middle he lost yards you could say that. Is it his strong suit, no. But he can and has shown the ability to do so.

I never said it was. I was talking carries touches per game. CJ and Brown should get the majority while Dixon gets most of the short yardage work. The Best players should be on the field, and I feel given each players abilities Fred lacks in some areas. This is NOT a knock on Freddy, I just think the Bills have great depth at RB and are set up for the future nicely.

So you think BB should get more carries in the regular season than FJ.

Awesome.

Not many people Agee including Marrone and that's really the only opinion that counts.

1- Spiller

2 - Brown

3 - Dixon

4 - Jackson

1- Spiller

2 - Brown

3 - Dixon

4 - Jackson

Well Count , may i say this after seriously considering your point. And its not unreasonable that this is Freds last year with the Bills. He was given the contract for just such a reason.

I would hope he moves down the depth chart. i thought that was the plan all along.

Maybe this year they spread the ball around situationally more. Dixon and Spiller are polar opposites and Fred and Bryce lay somewhere in the middle.

I think we keep four and a fullback.

not for nothing but how does a Boobie behind a Tank sound on goal line to you Count ?

1- Spiller

2 - Brown

3 - Dixon

4 - Jackson

Very incomplete analysis as Fred is stellar at picking up the blitz. He is also a threat catching the ball.

Fred has to earn the pole position but if he does so be it.