FluffHead

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read that the Steelers are as well.

I LOL'd at this.

Add: This may be a very unpopular opinion but I think Fred is 3-4 on the depth chart.

1 Spiller

2 Brown

3/4 Dixon/FJ

Dixon due to his size is better suited for goal line carries. Putting him and Summers in the backfield is nearly 500lbs of downhill force.

Edited by CountDorkula

The Bills and Steelers both agreed to do it.

New England* and Washington did it this past week then NE* sat a lot of starters for the whole game, it does seem kind of useless. The league must be trying to make preseason more interesting to the fans, which could get people hurt + might not be the all positive stuff that staffs and teams (FO's) are making it out to be. Preseason is too long (but sort good for the Bills this year in a way) and it doesn't count. Expositions should be limited, I think reading my reply, I agree with Fred.

I LOL'd at this.

Add: This may be a very unpopular opinion but I think Fred is 3-4 on the depth chart.

1 Spiller

2 Brown

3/4 Dixon/FJ

Dixon due to his size is better suited for goal line carries. Putting him and Summers in the backfield is nearly 500lbs of downhill force.

You're correct that is a very unpopular opinion. Good call!

maybe he should be happy because he gets to see me there? :flirt::D just guessing...

this is only 20 min from my house, so I'll be there both days. Anyone else?

Edited by MikeG

I was listening to the Browns pre-game show on Sat. night and they were interviewing Pettine about it. He said he is in touch with teams to try to get it set up for next year with the Browns. They didn' ask him which teams but insinuated the Bills would be a likely partner. I remember the Browns scrimmaged the Colts in Columbus about 15 years ago . It is very common. Breaks up the offense v. defense every day, especially with the extra week of TC. I think it is a great idea.

I knew it would be and I am ok with that.

It is more common than you think. No offense to Fred.He has a role on this team for sure.

I LOL'd at this.

1 Spiller

2 Brown

3/4 Dixon/FJ

Been waiting for someone to say this... As much as i love Freddy as a leader and for what being one of the very few bright spots in 1 of darkest eras for us, i completely agree.

What i'm really hoping is that we use ALOT of 2 RB sets with no FB, no TE and 3 WR. Have CJ, AND either Freddy, dixon or Brown on field. Like alot of posters have been saying about OL, put best 5 out there.. Chandler is awfully slow, is not a mauler in run game (that hold on friday was UGLY and lazy play when CJ had the corner anyway and he yanked DE/LB down so blatantly ref had to call it.

I'd rather use a 2nd RB who is a better checkdown threat anyway than Chandler and i think its always better to have that extra blocker in backfield to protect the QB than a TE who may chip block then go run his route.

Freddy would be great in these kinda situations as he has great hands and good instincts and is very solid on blitz pickups. If Freddy is lined up in backfield in regular situations, he puts very little fear in a D cuz even if gigantic hole opens up, he cant hit the HR. Brown or CJ are gone if they get the corner or gapping hole. Dixon is much better suited for us as a battling ram for short yardage and i can also see Dixon as a good #2 RB/HB if we did use the 3 WR and 2 RB package.

We need to keep our most dangerous weapons on the field and i personally agree, i think Brown AND Dixon would be better #2 and 3 RB's than Freddy.

I'd love to see CJ get 16-18 carries with 3-4 catches a game and Brown gets 7-10 carries with Dixon getting 3-5 and Freddy still getting time on the field, but in a much reduced role. Wont be great for fantasy players, but if we use alot of 2 RB sets and have 2 threats on the field that can touch ball rather than a true FB like Summers/ Rodriguez (except in goal-line) , then we are not using our strengths. We have a VERY deep backfield like Pittsburgh did for years when they were 3-4 deep.

Joe asked FJ if he was "looking forward" to the joint practices.

Why, in the name of all that is holy, should Fred Jackson be "looking forward" to August practices against the Steelers in Latrobe, Pennsylvania?

i think the answer most would hope for is "yea, its a great opportunity to get a change of pace and the young guys to learn and make us a better team."

if totaling up freds positive and negative contributions i think this leaves us at 7,345 positive, and 4 negative.

Edited by NoSaint

Seems odd from Fred. I'd imagine most players are sick of playing against the same people every day. Plus, you don't gain additional skills, etc. This is a huge advantage for the Bills. Perhaps practicing against a different team and then playing another team would be the most ideal, but this has to be better than playing against the same people every day.

Perhaps Fred is just saying this so Marrone will sit him and let the other RB's get more carries. Which is what Marrone should/would prob do anyway.

i think the answer most would hope for is "yea, its a great opportunity to get a change of pace and the young guys to learn and make us a better team."

if totaling up freds positive and negative contributions i think this leaves us at 7,345 positive, and 4 negative.

not sure what the other 3 negative contributions were :thumbsup:

The Redskins and Patriots did the same thing last week. No one died.

49ers and Ravens did as well. I've heard nothing but good comments from the Ravens' players on the local sports here... though they did get to stay at home. I don't know how the 49er players felt about it, but I can see where they wouldn't like being on the road so far away for so long. I don't think Fred would care so much if the scrimmages were in WNY instead of Latrobe.

I take no issue with it, mainly b/c it IS FJax and he has been the consummate professional since arriving in Buffalo and otherwise plays hurt without complaints or excuses and produces on the field, on Game Day...so, he's a bit miffed at the tight schedule between games, practices, scrimmages, and another game...oh well, we don't all love our job every day, or for some, any day and we do it because it needs to get done...if FJax has this particular mind-set for the week, I don't give it a second thought...it sucks, but needs to get done and he'll do it...and next week, everyone's farting rainbows and sailing on liquid gold

I don't have a full list, myself, but this is a quote I saw on an article I just read:

"Thirteen NFL teams will take part in joint practices this summer, including three — the New England Patriots, Atlanta Falcons and Houston Texans — who will do it twice."

Yeah, but why are we the only ones FORCED BY THE LEAGE to do them? :D

They've touched on the joint practices on Sirius over the past few weeks, most of the pundants on there feel that the joint practices and scrimmages are VERY helpful for teams. Gives your guys a chance go against different competition in a non-game setting.

Obviously injuries are always a worry (whether it's pre-season, regular, or as we've seen this year - even before the season), but if we make it through relatively unscathed, with our HOF game and these joint practices our team is going to have had some great opportunities to get ready for the season!

I think the joint practice is a great idea. The Bills defensive line is giving the O-line all sorts of trouble, and EJ has had trouble getting his confidence. Playing against a less-superb D-line in practices will give EJ more opportunity to practice with less potential for disaster on every play.