ESPN- Spiller could be traded soon

Frez

Maybe - but keep in mind that this may be a make or break year for DW and if Spiller figures significantly into their offensive game plan, they trade him for a future pick, and then they have an injury that rocks their running game and plan, he may not ever see that draft pick. If they are truly all in for this year, then it doesn't make sense for Whaley to part with him at all especially this close to the season. He is a unique RB who, if they plan to use him properly, an important part of whether their offense is going to be successful. This year. Which is what I think he is focused on. The more weapons he has around EJ the better chance he has of saving his job and making his decisions look smart.

Maybe. I have a hard time believing Spiller plays a significant role in their offense. He just doesn't to seem to be a every down kind of player. If they figured out a way to use him effectively and often that would be awesome, but I have a hard time with that. And if the other backs are the meat of this offense (which I believe) and one of them goes down, they cannot plug Spiller into that position. He is 180 degrees different from the others.

But this is all mental masturbation anyway, no GM in their right mind would offer a 1st for him in his last year.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe. I have a hard time believing Spiller plays a significant role in their offense. He just doesn't to seem to be a every down kind of player. If they figured out a way to use him effectively and often that would be awesome, but I have a hard time with that. And if the other backs are the meat of this offense (which I believe) and one of them goes down, they cannot plug Spiller into that position. He is 180 degrees different from the others.

But this is all mental masturbation anyway, no GM in their right mind would offer a 1st for him in his last year.

Only a few RBs are every down players anymore. That doesn't mean he isn't going to be a significant piece of their offense/game plans. In fact, it is because of what you said. He is 180 degrees different from the others, and that is exactly why they would not trade him - if they have packages that need him in there because of his skill set. BB is a depth player who could replicate CJ or Fred if there is an injury, but he is a backup for a reason just as he was a backup in Philly. I think he is Fred's eventual replacement if he plays well when he gets in there. He is only 23 with low mileage so he a lot of upside. I realize there are questions as to whether they will utilize him effectively, but I think we will need to see him this season before determining that since he was hurt last year and the depth wasn't there. Edited by YoloinOhio

I'd hate to continue our awful legacy of losing or failing at our high draft choices, but if Washington could be talked into a Cousins trade, that would give me hope for a successful near-future than anyone else on the current roster. History says we'll let him walk after this season, so yeah, find a QB somewhere and pull the trigger.

Only a few RBs are every down players anymore. That doesn't mean he isn't going to be a significant piece of their offense/game plans. In fact, it is because of what you said. He is 180 degrees different from the others, and that is exactly why they would not trade him - if they have packages that need him in there because of his skill set. BB is a depth player who could replicate CJ or Fred if there is an injury, but he is a backup for a reason just as he was a backup in Philly. I think he is Fred's eventual replacement if he plays well when he gets in there. He is only 23 with low mileage so he a lot of upside. I realize there are questions as to whether they will utilize him effectively, but I think we will need to see him this season before determining that since he was hurt last year and the depth wasn't there.

So if a non AFCE team offers a 1st today, Whaley says no thanks? :)

So if a non AFCE team offers a 1st today, Whaley says no thanks? :)

It would be very hard to say no to a first rounder, but we won't have to make that decision because I seriously, SERIOUSLY, doubt that would happen. I'd like to win more games than expected this year and CJ helps that happen. Because he's unique and offers a different skill set than the other 3 guys is exactly what makes him so valuable. Just get him in space! A high ankle sprain is one of the worst possible non-IR injury a guy with his skills could have. (Turf toe also comes to mind.) It took away what makes him so dangerous.

Edited by Augie

Is this a good way to hit 17k?

Yes you should get a sticker, but I hope you earn it in some more meaningful way. Doing it on this thread might seem a little Rosie Ruiz-esque... taking a bit of a short cut.

He's worth way more to this team then whatever they would get in return for him. This is the most run oriented team in the league & some of you want to trade away our best RB?? Doesn't make sense to me. I really hope they resign him as well.. he's a game breaking type talent. 5.1 ypc career average

Yes you should get a sticker, but I hope you earn it in some more meaningful way. Doing it on this thread might seem a little Rosie Ruiz-esque... taking a bit of a short cut.

yeah but everyone has their own shortcut. Even tommy. He ups his count by just replying with idiot to a lot of posts.

His poor self of steam, calling himself an idiot so often must be awful

ofcoursehe'snotgoingtoresign

whywouldheresignhe'sayoungmanatthetopofhisgame

hecansimplyplayoutthisyearandmakemillions

idon'tthinkwe'llseehimresignuntilhe'sinhismidthirties

ofcoursehecouldsignwithanotherteamandleaveTheBillswithout re-signing with them.

ugh spellcheck strikes and that's what you pick out. yes i meant sign a longer contract with the bills. glad you corrected me i will now be able to sleep better knowing you're out there watching like batman

He is going to be gone because he is not cut from the Marrone cloth - great worth ethic and playing smart. Look at Fred - far less skill, but far more successful...because he gets it. CJ has mind blowing athleticism paired with a lack of understanding...not worth the headaches...

Huh???? Have you seen the shape the guy is in and what his off season workouts consist of.

He's got gaps in his game, NO DOUBT, but he works his arse off.

Legitimate knocks on spiller are:

- liability in passing game: still struggles with blitz recog and pick up, not natural route runner

- spends so much energy on a given play trying to break a big one he gets gassed

- tries frequently to bounce inside runs outside, making the d playbook on him to string him to the sideline

- seems to struggle staying healthy

- has not shown ability to squirt through tight holes for extra yards

What is unquestionably positive and true:

- acceleration and speed are elite

- open field running and elusiveness is elite

- works hard

- team player (not a me-me guy)

-

Dixon has like 500 career rushing yards and Brown has 294 carries since high school.

I want this thread to be locked so badly. Somebody says "could" or "might" on a sports talk show and all of a sudden it becomes gospel and inevitable?

The Bills are not trading Spiller. Four RBs is not excessive with the way these guys get hurt.

If I'm wrong I'll gladly take my medicine in the form of scorn and ridicule. But I won't be.

Dixon has like 456 career rushing yards and Brown has less than 300 carries since High School. So obviously the Bills would be looking to trade Spiller because those two have proven to be capable, just ask ESPN or Bills fan after Spiller has a negative run.

Good Grief.

Can we please allow some common sense to enter this conversation???

A few thoughts...

1. Last year, CJ played on ONE LEG. The fact that he gutted it out with a high ankle sprain for the better half of the year should tell you everything you need to know about this guy's desire to win.

2. CJ is in the process of hiring a new agent. He is also heading into a contract year. If he has a big year, this next contract will represent the biggest payday of his life. I don't know about you, but I want that kind of motivation working to my advantage if I'm Whaley and Marrone.

3. At the start of last year, the Bills wanted to build their entire offence around CJ. Now some people are saying that the coaches don't have any use for the guy? Come on guys. Really?

4. None of the other backs represent a home run threat like CJ. The fact that the other team will need to account for that when he is on the field will make it easier for every other player on the Bills offence to succeed. This is not rocket science.

5. In a year where the biggest question mark on this team is the QB position, we may need to rely on our running game even more heavily than we did last year. You know it. I know it. And the coaches know it. Do you honestly think they would take the best back out of their rotation with such a big question mark at QB? I don't.

This team is in "win now" mode and CJ is heading into a "produce-now so you can pay me" sort of season. Surely to goodness, we can see that this is a good thing for us, right?

I absolutely love the Bills and I'm incredibly proud to be a member of our fan base, but sometimes we are just the worst. The panic our fans feel after a report that someone had an off practice at camp, and the instant confidence we get when someone makes a good play in a preseason game is simply hilarious. Take a breath everyone. It's going to be a long season and we are poised to do some good things. Enjoy it!

Go Bills!

Good Grief.

Can we please allow some common sense to enter this conversation???

Listen, I don't know who you think you are but if you think for one minute that you're going to come here and expect common sense then you are sadly mistaken. (Next thing we know you're going to expect people here to root for the Bills too)

Some nerve you have.

Listen, I don't know who you think you are but if you think for one minute that you're going to come here and expect common sense then you are sadly mistaken. (Next thing we know you're going to expect people here to root for the Bills too)

Some nerve you have.

Ha ha. Maybe I should've just asked for World Peace instead.

Ha!

Go Bills.

Spiller is the top talent on the offensive side of the ball until someone else proves otherwise. This is on Hackett. Either figure out how to use him or move on. I don't see how a guy who has produced in the NFL prior to this regime is now suddenly the problem. The problem is Hackett has one running play and he calls it at obvious moments. It's not the lack of talent at running back.

The problem is Hackett has one running play and he calls it at obvious moments. It's not the lack of talent at running back.

While I don't disagree that Hackett Jr. is part of the problem, I think the problem is with the fans.

In 2013 Spiller had 933 yards (15th in league in yards). He was tied for 2nd in most runs over 20 yards and tied for first in most runs over 40 yards. All this with a high ankle sprain and splitting time with my main man Fred Jackson.

What in the heck do we want this guy to do that he is not doing?

I was just watching sports center and the ESPN analyst said Buffalo will NOT keep four RB's going into the season. Look for the Bills to unload CJ Spiller before the season starts according to him.

This could get interesting...........

Trade for another player or trade for an extra draft pick for next season?

Doesn't sound real smart for a GM that's promised playoffs this season. Get rid of Stevie and Spiller and make the playoffs. Sure.

How about signing a QB that can actually play, that'd be more exciting to hear. No way they recover their lost 1st-rounder for Spiller. If they're lucky they'll get a 2nd-rounder from a team that's likely to draft late in that round.

Score!

In the four games that he had over 100-yards rushing, he had only 1 TD and we lost three of those 4 games. In the three that we lost he faced the 22nd, 30th, and 31st rushing defenses.

He's a cherry-picker.

Also, how about decent performance on 3rd downs.

It seems like part of the reason we let talented players go so often is that we have so much coaching and GM turnover. The new guy always wants his own, hand-picked players to fit his schemes. By the time he assembles them, he gets fired for poor performance. Jauron and Levy wanted Marshawn Lynch. Chan and Buddy wanted CJ Spiller. Now Marrone and Whaley seem to want a bruiser like Bryce Brown. We are constantly acquiring the same needs over and over again, especially RB's and players in the secondary at the expense of the offensive and defensive lines. It's the old saying, wash, rinse, repeat.

Right on +1000

While I don't disagree that Hackett Jr. is part of the problem, I think the problem is with the fans.

In 2013 Spiller had 933 yards (15th in league in yards). He was tied for 2nd in most runs over 20 yards and tied for first in most runs over 40 yards. All this with a high ankle sprain and splitting time with my main man Fred Jackson.

42nd in first downs. Behind a couple QB's, including T Pryor.

Unless they got a 1st round pick for him (they won't) trading him would be dumb. It's a contract year for him, he's going to play hard to try and get a big contract. We need him to make the playoffs

I agree that it would be stupid totally stupid move by the Bills & i hope the new GM is smarter than who ever pulled the last boner in a players contract year meaning the Fitz factor .

If the GM & FO are still thinking in the same mode as the old did then a trade of one of if not the most explosive player in the league will not be real surprising .

If they do wind up doing something this wild i would hope it would be really wild & trade for a QB that would put us in the play offs IF it is going to be that extreme because if it is for a draft pick any less than a number one it will be ignorant !!

Thank you. anyone that bit on espn jason weak sauce is also weak.

Its not even up for discussion at Bills central.

all you folks who think its a viable dialogue should be set in the corner. We are Bills Fans are't we ? CJ Spiller is a Buffalo Bill and done nothing wrong .

Maybe some of you are NOT fans just critics ?

Not what I was saying at all.... Most times we needed 3 or less, or were inside the 10 the coaching staff put Fred in... While I don't disagree with that, I think it's unfair to use that against him...

Why do they put Fred in? Is it because CJ can definitely pick up the short yards and they want to lose?

Why do they put Fred in? Is it because CJ can definitely pick up the short yards and they want to lose?

Bc he's better in that situation... But you only stated that he had single digit first down runs... Cherry picking stats... That one stat doesn't tell anywhere close to the whole story... That's all I'm saying.... How about 20/40+ yard plays... Compare Fred and CJ now...

I was just watching sports center and the ESPN analyst said Buffalo will NOT keep four RB's going into the season. Look for the Bills to unload CJ Spiller before the season starts according to him.

This could get interesting...........

Trade for another player or trade for an extra draft pick for next season?

Right, draft Watkins to win now and then trade Spiller. It doesn't wash.

Bc he's better in that situation... But you only stated that he had single digit first down runs... Cherry picking stats... That one stat doesn't tell anywhere close to the whole story... That's all I'm saying.... How about 20/40+ yard plays... Compare Fred and CJ now...

I would argue CJ's whole career is based on cherry-picked stats.

What wins football games? First downs and TD's? Or 20+ yard plays? Which is more important to you in an RB?

Edited by FireChan

I would argue CJ's whole career is based on cherry-picked stats.

What wins football games? First downs and TD's? Or 20+ yard plays? Which is more important to you in an RB?

I only have an example of why his 1st down numbers may be low... That's it...

CJ is not the all around RB.... He's not a workhorse... Everyone should know that by now...