New sale of team thread

Depends on the partnership agreement. If set up as an llc or something like that, would depend on the voting rights of the share (which would also be established by agreement of founders of the llc or like entity).

But that would go against NFL rules. The lead owner is the controlling owner, period.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, but how does JBJ's statement change anything? He falls far short of guaranteeing he will NEVER move the team. Period. Because of the way they have operated, and because the group includes a guy who has talked about moving a team to TO, only a guarantee to never move will assuage Bills fans. And quite frankly that might not be enough, at this stage.

Now is that too much to ask of anyone looking to make a billion dollar investment? Probably. So the JBJ hate will continue.

Bingo, Dean. Glad to see you here.

But that would go against NFL rules. The lead owner is the controlling owner, period.

What does lead owner mean? Beats me. The q was about the other two thirds of the to group overruling bongiovanni on a desire to stay in buffalo. Answer is that it depends on how their partnership is structured. Bongiovanni could have only 30% equity in team but still control team bc of partnership or share structure. Think of the raiders. Reports are that mark Davis only has 47% of raiders shares - probably a plurality - but he controls the team because of share classification.

Here's some pure conjecture (bullchit) for you. At the last minute two of the groups combine to make a final strong bid. It happened a few years ago with the sale of the Texas Rangers. The new group (Cuban was part I believe) didn't get the team, but the price was driven up. I'll say that the Trump & JBJ groups join forces to push Pegs & Golisano to up their price.

Trump trumpets that he forced a bad deal on the new owner and JBJ slinks away to plot his NFL expansion plan.

In the early months of 2013 the Toronto group hurled themselves upon the Buffalo Bills via a stadium site search in the Ontario Province. In pursuance of this knowledge being given to the general public in WNY, the current fan base of the Buffalo Bills, the local fans voiced their displeasure by stating overwhelmingly they would not support the team if the Toronto Group was the purchaser.

After several months of hearing the mob in the WNY region growing louder and louder, it became clear that one of 3 parties was going to have to address the situation. The NFL, the Trust or the Toronto group itself are full aware the massive hit that is going to be taken financially for the next 6 years or so given the lease arrangement.

And so it is, the Toronto group, as I predicted were the first to come out and attempt to quell the fears of the people. The NFL will surely comment either directly or indirectly through some of the owners in turn, there is to much at stake. Regardless if the Toronto Group wins the bid or not, they now lay before the Buffalo local fan base, prostrate, for they would not make an effort such as this open letter were it not for those very real fears.

Here's some pure conjecture (bullchit) for you. At the last minute two of the groups combine to make a final strong bid. It happened a few years ago with the sale of the Texas Rangers. The new group (Cuban was part I believe) didn't get the team, but the price was driven up. I'll say that the Trump & JBJ groups join forces to push Pegs & Golisano to up their price.

Trump trumpets that he forced a bad deal on the new owner and JBJ slinks away to plot his NFL expansion plan.

Creative and good thought. Any things possible. I question whether the trust would allow this to happen - NDA should have been so restrictive as to prevent collaboration amongst groups bc of the threat it drives down sale price.

In the early months of 2013 the Toronto group hurled themselves upon the Buffalo Bills via a stadium site search in the Ontario Province. In pursuance of this knowledge being given to the general public in WNY, the current fan base of the Buffalo Bills, the local fans voiced their displeasure by stating overwhelmingly they would not support the team if the Toronto Group was the purchaser.

After several months of hearing the mob in the WNY region growing louder and louder, it became clear that one of 3 parties was going to have to address the situation. The NFL, the Trust or the Toronto group itself are full aware the massive hit that is going to be taken financially for the next 6 years or so given the lease arrangement.

And so it is, the Toronto group, as I predicted were the first to come out and attempt to quell the fears of the people. The NFL will surely comment either directly or indirectly through some of the owners in turn, there is to much at stake. Regardless if the Toronto Group wins the bid or not, they now lay before the Buffalo local fan base, prostrate, for they would not make an effort such as this open letter were it not for those very real fears.

OR... The Trust and the NFL have nothing to do with it and the Toronto group is doing the only thing they possibly can do to keep their remote chance alive, throwing up a Hail Mary and trying to quell the PR disaster. If they don't, they are dead in the water.

What? How do you figure that?

I know one thing, The other teams certainly do not: Visiting teams get 40% of the gate for away games. Tickets to the Ralph are the lowest in the league on average. So visiting teams lose money big time coming to play at the Ralph vs. say, playing at Foxboro or at the Jets. Plus, Bills away games don't sell out because, well, they're the Bills and other than us, no one in the U.S. is interested in paying $150 to see the Buffalo Bills. So the existence of the Bills as an NFL franchise hurts game day gate receipts. Plus, the team is fetching a relatively low sale price because Ralph contractually trapped it in WNY (which is all good for us Bills fans), has the lowest gate receipts in the league and is in the smallest TV advertising market in the league (which hurts the TV deal).

Let's not get carried away that the league, and especially the owners, are all that thrilled (from a annual $$ income perspective) about the Bills staying in WNY.

I'm not arguing your other points, but the Bills sell out just fine when they're on the road. Almost every NFL game sells out no matter who is playing.

@john_wawrow: Full story on Bon Jovi #Bills letter now out, including skeptical response from Bills Fan Alliance. http://t.co/jTvr9qYZHU

@john_wawrow: What's curious about Bon Jovi's 7-paragraph letter regarding the #Bills is it doesn't name his partners or fact that they're from Toronto.

The !@#$er with his ****-eating grin even looks like a slimy politician from Jersey.

I just a wanted to chime in and reiterate that the Bills will NOT be moving. That's all

Quick question if I may (and if you know and are willing to share): did JBJ group advance, not advance, or is question tbd? Wondering whether jury is out at last nights politicking and the letter addresses the tbd issue. Also would explain relaxation of rules to allow golisano in to create competition if JBJ is out or tbd (and in general, I guess, but not the point of my question).

I suppose terms of trust could support your "not moving" statement (assuming statement considers post-lease bills), but under that scenario it's hard to explain such a mealy mouthed bongiovanni letter. Either JBJ is more direct under that scenario (better pr this way), or no need for suspect letter in first place.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but there is no way Brandon keeps his current role with a new owner. Best case scenario for him is to return to a VP, Non-football operations position, worst case scenario is outright firing. At this time, Brandon is in a role as the quasi-owner because Ralph was no longer able to handle ownership duties, a new owner will be "the owner".

As for the JBJ letter, just another example that this guy is not ready for primetime of being an owner, another colossal PR fail.

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

Something i've been wondering about is whether or not he's baiting us. To make us look like the bad guys.

I mean he had to know the letter would go over like a turd in a punch bowl. I wonder if we make enough anti-Bon Jovi noise in response that he'll use it as an excuse to move it...

Because now he can spin it and say that he "wanted" to keep it here, but that it became obvious he couldn't given the response to his letter. That he had good intentions but our response to him changed that.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

OR... The Trust and the NFL have nothing to do with it and the Toronto group is doing the only thing they possibly can do to keep their remote chance alive, throwing up a Hail Mary and trying to quell the PR disaster. If they don't, they are dead in the water.

They are dead in the water and they handled it terribly from the start. JBJ might be a fine owner, but he didn't do his homework when it comes to Buffalo and Toronto. He chose poorly...

Something i've been wondering about is whether or not he's baiting us. To make us look like the bad guys.

I mean he had to know the letter would go over like a turd in a punch bowl. I wonder if we make enough anti-Bon Jovi noise in response that he'll use it as an excuse to move it...

Because now he can spin it and say that he "wanted" to keep it here, but that it became obvious he couldn't given the response to his letter. That he had good intentions but our response to him changed that.

Having followed politics my entire life, stuff like this seems not only possible but business as usual

Public opinion can turn on a dime. It's all about manipulating the situation to get what you want in the end.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but there is no way Brandon keeps his current role with a new owner. Best case scenario for him is to return to a VP, Non-football operations position, worst case scenario is outright firing. At this time, Brandon is in a role as the quasi-owner because Ralph was no longer able to handle ownership duties, a new owner will be "the owner".

I think that's untrue. Granted, some of the quasi-owner titles and power he will surely have to relinquish. And by definition his actual power will lessen. But I think he remains in a top level position and likely will remain with a title like President and still do most of the same job he does now. He's great at it, highly respected, and there is no reason to bring someone else in to do it. He has little downside. He's as good a soldier as he could possibly be. He knows the league and the league knows him. It would be just stupid for any owner to not retain him with a hugely important title and role.